hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member bernz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    13,895

    Loan deals from other Scottish clubs

    Obviously we have had a few loans from Celtic in recent years, but I can't, off the top of my head, think of many loans from other Scottish clubs.

    Have there been many?


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Henri Anier from Motherwell

  4. #3
    Testimonial Due DarrenSQH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,491
    Boyle

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member bernz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    13,895
    Have we ever had any loans from rangers or hearts?

  6. #5
    Scott Bain Dundee

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Henri Anier from Motherwell
    Was he not from United?

  8. #7
    The growing number of loan deals around is quite a new phenomenon and it's everywhere (not just in Scotland)
    You can trace it back to Berlusconi's AC Milan side of the early 1990's, who were untouchable for a while, the way Barca & Real are now.
    Under Berlusconi, AC Milan became the first side to really hoover up more than 11 great players, and to make it a squad game, where unhappy superstars might end up going out on loan due to lack of game time.
    At the time, the likes of the great Zvonimir Boban couldn't get a 90 minutes, but would have to settle for a spot on Milan's bench (when he could have walked into any other midfield in Europe).
    In recent years it seems Celtic have been doing a Silvio in Scottish terms.
    And you end up with Christie at Aberdeen, Stokes/Henderson winning the cup with Hibs, Scott Allan doing his bit etc and IIRC some great players out at Morton and St Mirren etc too.
    I know this doesn't answer your question, just pointing out it all started with the great Milan team of the 90s and is much wider than Celtic/Hibs/Scottish fitba

  9. #8
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously we have had a few loans from Celtic in recent years, but I can't, off the top of my head, think of many loans from other Scottish clubs.

    Have there been many?
    www.transfermarkt.com is the website designed almost exactly to answer this sort of question

    Previous loans from Scottish clubs:

    Scott Bain from Dundee for one long weekend in January 2018
    Henri Anier from Dundee United in September 2015
    Martin Boyle from Dundee in January 2015
    Keith Watson from Dundee United in January 2015

    I didn't go back further than 2010. So no, there's not many, and generally from Dundee.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was he not from United?
    Off course it was

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member bernz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    13,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    www.transfermarkt.com is the website designed almost exactly to answer this sort of question

    Previous loans from Scottish clubs:

    Scott Bain from Dundee for one long weekend in January 2018
    Henri Anier from Dundee United in September 2015
    Martin Boyle from Dundee in January 2015
    Keith Watson from Dundee United in January 2015

    I didn't go back further than 2010. So no, there's not many, and generally from Dundee.
    Good to know. I hadn't seen that before.

  12. #11
    Old Codger Hibstorian Jonnyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    East Lothian
    Age
    65
    Posts
    31,044
    Many moons ago we borrowed Tom Carson from Dundee on loan. He was a keeper
    This is how it feels

  13. #12
    Didn't we get Lee Power and turn down a loan for some French dude called David Trezeguet? Pretty sure it was a good move as I don't think the boy went on to do anything in the game anyway...

  14. #13
    Coaching Staff jgl07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Merchiston
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't we get Lee Power and turn down a loan for some French dude called David Trezeguet? Pretty sure it was a good move as I don't think the boy went on to do anything in the game anyway...
    Sounds like another urban myth or rather a right load of codswallop.

    Trezeguet was part of a devasting strike partnership with Thierry Henry at Monaco a year or more before Lee Power arrived from Dundee. He was in the French Workd Cup squad in 1998 in Lee Power’s only full season.

  15. #14
    Testimonial Due SquashedFrogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,742
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like another urban myth or rather a right load of codswallop.

    Trezeguet was part of a devasting strike partnership with Thierry Henry at Monaco a year or more before Lee Power arrived from Dundee. He was in the French Workd Cup squad in 1998 in Lee Power’s only full season.
    Woooooosh

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,887
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like another urban myth or rather a right load of codswallop.

    Trezeguet was part of a devasting strike partnership with Thierry Henry at Monaco a year or more before Lee Power arrived from Dundee. He was in the French Workd Cup squad in 1998 in Lee Power’s only full season.
    ...for what it's worth, and leaving aside the Lee Power bit, I once heard Craig Brown on the radio saying that Alex Miller had been told by John Collins that Monaco's Trezeguet and Henri were fantastic prospects who could do a job for us while they gained experience. For a million pounds. He said Miller had told him there was no way he could lay his hands on a million pounds. Dinnae shoot the messenger.

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Many moons ago we borrowed Tom Carson from Dundee on loan. He was a keeper
    unlike Bain

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member --------'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    25,324
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Many moons ago we borrowed Tom Carson from Dundee on loan. He was a keeper

    Did you really find him THAT attractive, John? Something you want to share with us?

    Oh, you mean he played in goal. Sorry, my error.



    A loan deal needs to be for a player as good as or better than what we've already got, and available. That's usually not the case with players at any other club in Scotland than the Old Firm, Aberdeen and (though I hate to say it) occasionally Hearts.

    When we were in the Championship (or on our way down to the Championship) things might have been different.

    I think it's fair to say that loan deals with The Rangers or The Hearts are potentially disastrous - why pay salaries to guys who aren't likely to make any effort at all during their time at ER? Loan deals in England between (shall we say?) Arsenal and Tottenham, Liverpool and Everton, Manchester United and Manchester City are as rare as hens' teeth. Giroud being sold to Chelsea this January was a big enough surprise IMO.

    Aberdeen are usually in direct competition with us - as they are right now.

    So realistically, any time we're in the SPL and looking for a loan deal in January, who do we approach?

    An English club - or Celtic.


  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member bernz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    13,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you really find him THAT attractive, John? Something you want to share with us?

    Oh, you mean he played in goal. Sorry, my error.



    A loan deal needs to be for a player as good as or better than what we've already got, and available. That's usually not the case with players at any other club in Scotland than the Old Firm, Aberdeen and (though I hate to say it) occasionally Hearts.

    When we were in the Championship (or on our way down to the Championship) things might have been different.

    I think it's fair to say that loan deals with The Rangers or The Hearts are potentially disastrous - why pay salaries to guys who aren't likely to make any effort at all during their time at ER? Loan deals in England between (shall we say?) Arsenal and Tottenham, Liverpool and Everton, Manchester United and Manchester City are as rare as hens' teeth. Giroud being sold to Chelsea this January was a big enough surprise IMO.

    Aberdeen are usually in direct competition with us - as they are right now.

    So realistically, any time we're in the SPL and looking for a loan deal in January, who do we approach?

    An English club - or Celtic.

    I agree with a lot of that, but why do you say players from hearts or rangers wouldn't make any effort? They are professionals. They may not get the same leeway from the fans, but that's a different matter.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member --------'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    25,324
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with a lot of that, but why do you say players from hearts or rangers wouldn't make any effort? They are professionals. They may not get the same leeway from the fans, but that's a different matter.

    We've had a number of players sign for us who were previously at Tynecastle - Michael Stewart, Ralph Callachan, Jim Brown obvious examples with whom I have no complaint.

    I can't think of anyone apart from big McGregor coming from Rangers who was any use at all - most played as if they were allergic to the shirt.

    But I frankly wouldn't trust players whose player registration was still with either of those clubs to really make the effort for us - I still wake up screaming at the recollection of a certain Cup Final Team that didn't try their backsides (most of them).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved