hibs.net Messageboard

Is this the story of the winter break.....by the sun(!)

Pretty much as the rumours suggested.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/fire-extinguisher-prank-led-to-anthony-stokes-exit-from-hibs-reports-1-4681875

The final straw for Anthony Stokes at Hibs came after the Irish striker was responsible for setting off a 5am fire alarm in the team’s Algarve hotel, according to the Scottish Sun. Hibs players and staff, along with other hotel guests, were forced out of their beds in the dead of night after the Stokes-led prank went wrong.

The 29-year-old was said to have let off a fire extinguisher at two of his younger team-mates, one of whom scampered through an alarmed fire exit, setting off the alarm.

Stokes was joined in the prank by Danny Swanson and Martin Boyle. All three players were disciplined for their part in the incident and dropped from the club’s winter-break friendly against Willem II. Swanson and Boyle have since returned to the Hibs team, though Stokes was soon released from his contract. Manager Neil Lennon would later say he’d afforded the striker enough chances and had finally
    ran out of patience.

Last edited by andybev1; 04-02-2018 at 08:02 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Maybe, but can you believe anything they tell you!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe, but can you believe anything they tell you!
    In a word, no.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    pound to a penny they got that off Hibs.net

Pretty much on the money as I understand it. And witnessed first hand by a club director woken by the noise beforehand.

I just dont understand that newspapers ideas?

So what if it is true (and im not saying it is) its old news and has been dealt with!

This paper seems to have it in for anything Hibernian at the moment which baffles me!

OR is it because we beat the Rangers on Saturday........... stranger things have been known to happen!!

why are directors and LD all in Spain. Would think playing staff coaches only??? honest question. Silly boy but wonder if Lennon could have contained without directors knowledge if it would have been swept under carpet. Hes gone though and looks like best outcome for Hibs

Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post

So what if it is true (and im not saying it is) its old news and has been dealt with!

This paper seems to have it in for anything Hibernian at the moment which baffles me!

OR is it because we beat the Rangers on Saturday........... stranger things have been known to happen!!
    yes few off barry fergusons antics made press until out in open. journos have agenda as jobs depend on cow tow to big 2

mail campaign unite sfa and spl what about equal right for all clubs on voting?

Left by mutual consent!
    The story of today for the press seeking controversial stories should of course be the headline -

How Did Referee Andrew Dallas Not Give A Red Card ToThe Hearts Player For Aiming An Off The Ball Violent Full Swipe Kick At St Johnstone Player?

But it wasn't and it won't be and then its no surprise when they instead muck rake up a now old story regarding Hibernian FC the club that could jeopardise their beloved huns third placing in the league.

mon the cabbage!!!

Not quite sure how old story in a newspaper could in any shape or form influence our efforts to finish up the table as high as possible.After all it’s no secret to anyone at the club and any readers who care will know that the club made the right decision in the right way.If anything it makes the club look ore professional.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Not quite sure how old story in a newspaper could in any shape or form influence our efforts to finish up the table as high as possible.After all it’s no secret to anyone at the club and any readers who care will know that the club made the right decision in the right way.If anything it makes the club look ore professional.

Just got to ignore the gossip. We’ve moved on.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post

It’s a story for the papers because stokes getting released is a big story of course journalists will try and find out the reason why

Quote Originally Posted by andybev1 View Post
    Pretty much as the rumours suggested.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/fire-extinguisher-prank-led-to-anthony-stokes-exit-from-hibs-reports-1-4681875

The final straw for Anthony Stokes at Hibs came after the Irish striker was responsible for setting off a 5am fire alarm in the team’s Algarve hotel, according to the Scottish Sun. Hibs players and staff, along with other hotel guests, were forced out of their beds in the dead of night after the Stokes-led prank went wrong.

The 29-year-old was said to have let off a fire extinguisher at two of his younger team-mates, one of whom scampered through an alarmed fire exit, setting off the alarm.

Stokes was joined in the prank by Danny Swanson and Martin Boyle. All three players were disciplined for their part in the incident and dropped from the club’s winter-break friendly against Willem II. Swanson and Boyle have since returned to the Hibs team, though Stokes was soon released from his contract. Manager Neil Lennon would later say he’d afforded the striker enough chances and had finally
    ran out of patience.

sounds like the press have got it right. they have given us a story which totally explains the situation. that's that sorted then. but, I need to tell all on here that if the Sun newspaper are involved along with the ever so good Scotsman, I wouldnae believe a word they said. The Sun, in particular were noted liers as long back as 1984. they always backed the government line then when a major industrial dispute was unfolding. I wont go into that, but they lied, and lied and lied. end of. cant believe that I still see that red top pish rag lying on the dashboard of young joiners/plumbers/plasterers vans.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I am assuming you are refering to the recent newspaper comments, which in my view are actually old news. however,there is no way that those reports try to make us professional. More likely, they tend to make us look unprofesional and it is a blatant dig at our club although a rather underhand one imho. It wont influence our position , or efforts to go further in the league but why are they at it Now?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    The story of today for the press seeking controversial stories should of course be the headline -

How Did Referee Andrew Dallas Not Give A Red Card ToThe Hearts Player For Aiming An Off The Ball Violent Full Swipe Kick At St Johnstone Player?

But it wasn't and it won't be and then its no surprise when they instead muck rake up a now old story regarding Hibernian FC the club that could jeopardise their beloved huns third placing in the league.

mon the cabbage!!!
    Just watched that and it's unbelieveable the Jambo didn't get a red - however, Wotherspoon's red-card was also unbelieveable -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/42934324

(at 03:25)

It's a 50-50 and admittedly Wotherspoon leads with his boot but there's no connection whatsoever - however, the Jambo does what's natural to them and falls screaming to the ground, clutching it's leg in agony - only for it to bounce back up almost immediately (2 seconds - I've counted !!) to have a go at Wotherspoon !. No wonder Wright was going mental - it's not by coincidence they're called the 'Diets' when you see them getting away with things like that !!