hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gazza

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For all his faults I've always felt for Gazza and hoped he gets himself sorted out, he seems to be on the right path at the moment.

He had a pretty grim childhood. His family lived in conditions pretty close to poverty, he witnessed his friend die in a car accident front of him when he was 10, his Dad regularly had fits and seizures and Gazza had twitches and ticks as well. He lost another friend at 15 and by that age was addicted to gambling and the sole provider for his family.

I'm not suggesting any of that excuses some of his actions as an adult but it probably goes some way to explaining them. Whilst he has made mistakes and bad decisions he has been treated for bulimia, bi-polar, OCD and multiple addictions and you can't just discount that when trying to understand him.
    Still a wife beating bigoted hun.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Never been keen on Gascoine since the 91 FA cup final. Don't see any reason to change my mind about him.

There was no need for his 'No Surrender' Tweet though. Footballing legend, but why the need to be so stupid? it is Gazza after all.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Paul Gascoigne is one of the best footballers I have ever seen play. Fernando Ricksen is suffering from one of the worst illnesses a person can have.

I am sorry about their failings and I am sorry about their illnesses. I think it's okay to feel both.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Paul Gascoigne is one of the best footballers I have ever seen play. Fernando Ricksen is suffering from one of the worst illnesses a person can have.

I am sorry about their failings and I am sorry about their illnesses. I think it's okay to feel both.
    A voice of reason and compassion. Hear, hear.

Testimonial Due
    These discussions are always goodies...

As Arrigo Sacchi said (supposedly!) Fitba is the most important of life's least important things.

Surely people can recognise that someone can be both a massive fudd of a fitba player, but also deserving of support and sympathy for his struggles with a very frightening and horrible condition?

Gazza is a difficult one - i think he is quite clearly a long way from being the full-shilling, and he has been both a victim of that (people taking advantage) but also seems to use it as get out of jail free card whenever he does something wrong. On balance im pretty ambivalent about him, dont hate him (too good a player, too much of a character to really hate) but i dont massively care what happens to him either.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post

Well said.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Left by mutual consent!
    Could Gazza have done anything differently in his life to have changed were he is it now? Probably.

Ricksen and Gazza should not be compared at all.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Could Gazza have done anything differently in his life
    Could have been kinder to Gordon Durie.

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    My spidey-sense tells me this thread isn't going to last much longer.
    Are you the Green Goblin or Spiderman? Make your ****ing mind up.

And there’s more

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    was the waster mimicking playing the flute to excite the ibrox orcs, was his bezzy mate jimmy 10-bellies supporting him

the same Gaza who ran the length of the East terracing in 96 giving the w*nker sign behind his back after Goram was attacked at Easter Road. Had that been a Hibs player doing that at Hunbrox there would have been a riot. Absolute scrote of an individual and whilst I wish no illness on any man, the fact that he has an illness means that hopefully a decent person somewhere else has been spared.

First Team Regular leithsansiro's Avatar
    For me, this whole thread boils down to the moral dilemns of whether or not people's previous indiscretions are overlooked when they fall on hard times.

The way I see it, Paul Gascoigne assaulted his wife, which is a horrendous action. On the field, he wrecked another pkayer's career through stupidity by flying into Gary Charles. He came across as arrogant and actively encouraged religion intolerance through his antics at Rangers. It doesn't matter how hard alcoholism hit him or anything else. The man is an arse, hard times or not.

The same applies to Ricksen, regardless of how unwell he may now be. Quite frankly, having a serious illness doesn't wipe clean the slate. I wouldn't wish either situation on anyone, but then I'd also rather folk just conducted themselves properly.

Quote Originally Posted by leithsansiro View Post
    For me, this whole thread boils down to the moral dilemns of whether or not people's previous indiscretions are overlooked when they fall on hard times.

The way I see it, Paul Gascoigne assaulted his wife, which is a horrendous action. On the field, he wrecked another pkayer's career through stupidity by flying into Gary Charles. He came across as arrogant and actively encouraged religion intolerance through his antics at Rangers. It doesn't matter how hard alcoholism hit him or anything else. The man is an arse, hard times or not.

The same applies to Ricksen, regardless of how unwell he may now be. Quite frankly, having a serious illness doesn't wipe clean the slate. I wouldn't wish either situation on anyone, but then I'd also rather folk just conducted themselves properly.
    Ricksen is no angel but do convictions for breach of the peace, drink driving and assault really mean that you deserve no sympathy when you get a terminal illness diagnosis at the age of 37 and are unlikely to live to see your 45th birthday?

If it was a murderer, paedophile or rapist we were talking about then I could see your point but Ricksen's past is hardly that extreme in the grand scheme of things to deny him some sympathy at a time when he faces up to an unimaginably sad fate.

You could argue that he actually took steps to correct his behaviour by checking himself into a rehabilitation clinic for alcohol.

While we are on the subject of unreconstructed Huns, did any of you see Ray Wilkins on Sky Sports News this evening? Jeez, does he look seriously unwell. And sounded it too. Croaking like an old man. I know he's not had his troubles to seek but he was a real eye-opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    While we are on the subject of unreconstructed Huns, did any of you see Ray Wilkins on Sky Sports News this evening? Jeez, does he look seriously unwell. And sounded it too. Croaking like an old man. I know he's not had his troubles to seek but he was a real eye-opener.
    Bevvy merchant.

Gazza looks fitter than Wilkins now!

It's a funny old game.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Ricksen is no angel but do convictions for breach of the peace, drink driving and assault really mean that you deserve no sympathy when you get a terminal illness diagnosis at the age of 37 and are unlikely to live to see your 45th birthday?

If it was a murderer, paedophile or rapist we were talking about then I could see your point but Ricksen's past is hardly that extreme in the grand scheme of things to deny him some sympathy at a time when he faces up to an unimaginably sad fate.

You could argue that he actually took steps to correct his behaviour by checking himself into a rehabilitation clinic for alcohol.
    aye he was drunk when he carried out his numerous indiscretions on and off the pitch. so forgiven and excused.

We all tend to be selective in our compassion and forgiveness. We should strive to follow the example of Petrie, who once memorably said “let he who is without sin cast the first stone.”

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    aye he was drunk when he carried out his numerous indiscretions on and off the pitch. so forgiven and excused.
    He was not forgiven for showing Dougie Smith the yellow card that dropped out of his pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by vuefrom1875 View Post
    Bevvy merchant.
    I like a drink, but that's a bit harsh.

I politely clapped him, as did quite a few other of our fans around me, though it doesn't seem like anyone on here has admitted that....

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyFantastic View Post
    I politely clapped him, as did quite a few other of our fans around me, though it doesn't seem like anyone on here has admitted that....
    Never , not once .