hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SKY are guilty of not supporting football in Scotland. Travel to any European country and SKY will advertise and broadcast domestic football to an extent that we can only dream of. It may be that other countries football authorities (or possibly even governments) have more clout than we do in Scotland.
    It's a deliberate policy following their "discussions/negotiations" with Roger Mitchell and the collapse of new TV deal at the start of the century. Nothing to do with how much money could be made or lost i.e. not a commercial decision but an ideological one after an argument with someone (very badly) representing Scottish football.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Just seen it on the Beeb

I noticed they never showed the non-existent foul which led to their equaliser

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    SKY are guilty of not supporting football in Scotland. Travel to any European country and SKY will advertise and broadcast domestic football to an extent that we can only dream of. It may be that other countries football authorities (or possibly even governments) have more clout than we do in Scotland.

Overexageration much? Any European country?

doesnt the same argument made earlier about the beeb apply here also, why should/would any organisation pay more than they need to for something?

Its highly likely we’d have a far better tv deal if the old firm/spy leaders hadn’t tried to be smart and created spl tv, and at the same time told broadcasters we weren’t interested in their money. Look where that’s led us. When we also have the likes of Doncaster confidently predicting disaster when rangers restarted in the 4th tier, it’s hardly likely to see any broadcaster clamouring to throw money at Scottish football. The administrators of spl/sfa/spfl have done an outstanding job of talking down their own product, highlighting how pathetically OF focussed they are, and underselling Scottish football.
    Last edited by McD; 07-02-2018 at 01:33 PM.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post

doesnt the same argument made earlier about the beeb apply here also, why should/would any organisation pay more than they need to for something?

Its highly likely we’d have a far better tv deal if the old firm/spy leaders hadn’t tried to be smart and created spl tv, and at the same time told broadcasters we weren’t interested in their money. Look where that’s led us. When we also have the likes of Doncaster confidently predicting disaster when rangers restarted in the 4th tier, it’s hardly likely to see any broadcaster clamouring to throw money at Scottish football. The administrators of spl/sfa/spfl have done an outstanding job of talking down their own product, highlighting how pathetically OF focussed they are, and underselling Scottish football.
    And along with the little bit I highlighted worth mentioning our media as well who are just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JIm View Post
    And along with the little bit I highlighted worth mentioning our media as well who are just as bad.

Totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post

An SFPL tv channel certainly makes some sense,technology is much cheaper now and the Dutch League appear to have been able to do it successfully.However with the no talents that are in charge of Scottish Football it would be difficult to trust them arranging a piss up in an open Brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    An SFPL tv channel certainly makes some sense,technology is much cheaper now and the Dutch League appear to have been able to do it successfully.However with the no talents that are in charge of Scottish Football it would be difficult to trust them arranging a piss up in an open Brewery.
    It’s a tough proposition, even if the folk running it are brilliant. For it to be worth the bother, they’d need to get enough subscribers to cover the costs of running the operation, the costs of broadcasting enough games to make subscriptions worth taking up and make more for the clubs that the current TV deals. You also take the risk that, if it all goes tits up, you’ve ****ed off Sky and BT again and they end up lowballing any future offers.

Holland are >3 times the size of us so that makes it much less of a risk for them.

I’ll be honest, I’m not that fussed about watching any Scottish games that don’t involve Hibs. Five minute highlights are enough for me and I wouldn’t pay for those. I don’t pay for Sky Sports though and get BT for free so I’m maybe a special case.

Would a SPFL channel make the money after set up costs that is available from selling rights to the broadcasters?

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Apologies if this point has already been made and I missed it. But surely the issue we should have with the the BBC is not what they pay to buy the rights to show highlights (why should they pay more than the going rate), but why they spend so little on the production values of transmitting those highlights. The budget for Sportscene is a fraction of what they pay just one of their presenters on Match of the Day. While the BBC have every right to pay as little as possible to actually buy the rights, I do find it anti-scottish that they put so little budget towards the producing of a top class programme and multi camera highlights.

A slicker, better produced programme that is well promoted and advertised, would enhance the value of the product they are selling and in turn gain more viewers, In short it would be good for Scottish football and good for the BBC.

Now just don't get me on the subject of how much money they spend on showing American Football and how much coverage it gets on the website !!! GRRRRR

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Apologies if this point has already been made and I missed it. But surely the issue we should have with the the BBC is not what they pay to buy the rights to show highlights (why should they pay more than the going rate), but why they spend so little on the production values of transmitting those highlights. The budget for Sportscene is a fraction of what they pay just one of their presenters on Match of the Day. While the BBC have every right to pay as little as possible to actually buy the rights, I do find it anti-scottish that they put so little budget towards the producing of a top class programme and multi camera highlights.

A slicker, better produced programme that is well promoted and advertised, would enhance the value of the product they are selling and in turn gain more viewers, In short it would be good for Scottish football and good for the BBC.

Now just don't get me on the subject of how much money they spend on showing American Football and how much coverage it gets on the website !!! GRRRRR
    As an Eagles fan I thoroughly approve of every penny they spent bringing me our SuperBowl win

On the other hand the BBC cover plenty of other sports that I have no interest in (darts, rugby league, horse racing etc). It's part of their remit as a public service broadcaster to cover a broad spread.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Doesn’t BBC Scotland have it’s own budget?

It’s up to them whether they spend it on Sportscene, River City or anything else.

As for Alba, they get to show full games with decent access to the players and managers yet only pay a few quid a season. They should be told to bolt.

I’d imagaine the Scottish Givernment is involved in this somehow, maybe they should cough up some cash to the game if they want us to put up with their poxy Gaelic commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Would a SPFL channel make the money after set up costs that is available from selling rights to the broadcasters?
    In terms of subscription:

100,000 subscribers at £15 a month over 10 months of the year is £15m pounds.

Say that selling adverts was enough to roughly cover broadcasting costs (which is probably optimistic) then we'd still be short of the current deal (which is 18.5m I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    As an Eagles fan I thoroughly approve of every penny they spent bringing me our SuperBowl win

On the other hand the BBC cover plenty of other sports that I have no interest in (darts, rugby league, horse racing etc). It's part of their remit as a public service broadcaster to cover a broad spread.
    Horse racing is long gone from the beeb
    Not even the National is shown anymore

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Horse racing is long gone from the beeb
    Not even the National is shown anymore
    Don’t think the darts is on anymore either - C4 and BT share the BDO coverage.

What do the BBC have left?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    In terms of subscription:

100,000 subscribers at £15 a month over 10 months of the year is £15m pounds.

Say that selling adverts was enough to roughly cover broadcasting costs (which is probably optimistic) then we'd still be short of the current deal (which is 18.5m I think).

The same thinking as Setanta and look what happened there.