hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    nothing compares to TT. class and panache flowed through the whole team. they played with a team flair I have not seen at Hibs since.
    Us auld farts were lucky.

Apart from the Scottish Cup win,nothing compares with the 7-0 game.

We just expected that we would win every game (we didn’t of course) but we expected to, as if it was, erm...the natural order of things!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Step back from the whisky bottle
    Just remember if it happens, You read it here first.

For a few months Jock Stein’s team was the best I’ve ever seen in Hibs jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Nothing compares to the heady days of pumping hearts 7-0, beating sporting Lisbon 6-1, Having Juventus rock up at ER, playing leeds utd off the park, a whisker of putting Liverpool out, the huge terracing, the majestic team we had then......maybe looking thru the eyes of a 13 year old has made me biased, but I don't think this team is a patch on TT's.
    This, I agree fully, the Tornadoes deserved to win more honours than they did. If It wasn't for Celtic's 9 in a row team, at that time, they would have.

The Tornadoes were very special and such a joy to watch. We may have seen a few decent Hibs squads since but nothing comes close to the team Turnbull put together IMO.

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Nothing will beat the Tornadoes team for me mainly because I was 13/14 at the time and my team Hibs were as good as any in the land and beyond. Given the ups and mainly downs since then and the fact I’m now 58 I can only say enjoy this era. The Scottish Cup win kicked this club into a new era of belief and confidence and given the current management team, standard of current squad and the loyal support then there’s no reason why we shouldn’t consistently be challenging at the top end of the table with the odd cup win here and there. I for one am very optimistic that we can maintain a very good footballing team in modern day Scottish football. GGTTH.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Good thread.

I grew up with Alex Miller's team, which had its moments, particularly when Jackson and Wright were our forwards, and the Skol Cup win was my first taste of cup success and an incredible day.

McLeish probably put together the most talented side I can remember, with Sauzee and Latapy the obvious standouts. The wasn't a side I was particularly bothered about facing with that team, and I suppose we were unlucky that the Old Firm had really good sides at that point as well.

Mowbray's team was probably my favourite until we won the Scottish Cup. The 2007 final (under Collins) was the pinnacle for that side, however before that Mowbray had taken them to Glasgow and got convincing wins against both Rangers and Celtic.

That team was a delight to watch, they were fearless and skillful, and attacked quickly and effectively. They rightly earned a reputation as the best footballing side in Scotland when they were at the top of their game.

However, this generation from Stubbs' first season in the Championship through to Lennon now, has given us some incredible moments, not least of which was that day in May '16, the most famous day in our history.

We also have some relatively special players at the club now, and they're special for different reasons. Stevenson for the way that he has epitomised what Leith is about: perseverance; Hanlon for being the home grown classy centre half, McGregor who is living the dream and plays every match like he knows he's living the dream, Sir David Gray the winning goal scoring club captain, Super John McGinn full of talent, swagger and humility, Boyle who has worked on his game and improved dramatically while he's been at the club.

This side isn't the best we've ever had, but by a distance they're my favourite. They repeatedly make me proud, and they play for the jersey. There's not a soul in that side that I grudge paying my money to watch. They all play like that know what it means to pull on the jersey and, as we saw yesterday, they'll run through walls for the badge.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Good thread.

I grew up with Alex Miller's team, which had its moments, particularly when Jackson and Wright were our forwards, and the Skol Cup win was my first taste of cup success and an incredible day.

McLeish probably put together the most talented side I can remember, with Sauzee and Latapy the obvious standouts. The wasn't a side I was particularly bothered about facing with that team, and I suppose we were unlucky that the Old Firm had really good sides at that point as well.

Mowbray's team was probably my favourite until we won the Scottish Cup. The 2007 final (under Collins) was the pinnacle for that side, however before that Mowbray had taken them to Glasgow and got convincing wins against both Rangers and Celtic.

That team was a delight to watch, they were fearless and skillful, and attacked quickly and effectively. They rightly earned a reputation as the best footballing side in Scotland when they were at the top of their game.

However, this generation from Stubbs' first season in the Championship through to Lennon now, has given us some incredible moments, not least of which was that day in May '16, the most famous day in our history.

We also have some relatively special players at the club now, and they're special for different reasons. Stevenson for the way that he has epitomised what Leith is about: perseverance; Hanlon for being the home grown classy centre half, McGregor who is living the dream and plays every match like he knows he's living the dream, Sir David Gray the winning goal scoring club captain, Super John McGinn full of talent, swagger and humility, Boyle who has worked on his game and improved dramatically while he's been at the club.

This side isn't the best we've ever had, but by a distance they're my favourite. They repeatedly make me proud, and they play for the jersey. There's not a soul in that side that I grudge paying my money to watch. They all play like that know what it means to pull on the jersey and, as we saw yesterday, they'll run through walls for the badge.
    Very good post and also sums up my feelings. I would also add that i liked Collins' team a lot as well, and the benji zemmama double act gave us that unpredictability that's always fun, but that team never had the roll up the sleeves characters that you describe very well (with the possible exception of Big Rob Jones) that we have right across the squad now and which makes us the side we are.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Good thread.

Great post bud.

As well as the Scottish lads we've had folk from further afield who have come in maybe not knowing too much about the Hibs but just seem to get it. Marv (who didnt play much his first few months), Fonts (who wrote a bloody song about us), King Dom, Rocky seems settled, Efe looks happy, Holt was a perfect fit. Even losing big characters or talismen like Scott Allan or Jason Cummings doesn't seem to slow us down, hell they even come back

Two additional 'good times' to add to my previous post.

1.01.1973 and the Sauzee, Latapy era.