hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Murray

Simon Murray

Not seen a thread for the Carrot-top Assassin yet so here goes:

Cheerio for now Simon Murray, may we remember you for scoring more yet.

Admins: something went wrong with the title...
    Last edited by Perd Hapley; 01-02-2018 at 12:10 AM. Reason: oops

2. Log in to remove the advert

I was disappointed when I heard Simon Murray was going out on loan, especially after releasing Stokes. I've never in my 50 years of supporting Hibs seen our two top scorers depart simultaneously in the transfer window.
    This said, our new Swiss guy has got off to a flyer and Barker has finally added a goal to his repertoire. We are still waiting for McClaren to get up to speed and to deliver, whilst Shaw has proved himself more than adequate up front with his goals, and if Swanson can get a run and reproduce his St. Johnstone form, with goals to boot, and Boyle continues his rich vein of form, and our midfielders and central defenders can chip in with the odd goal or two, we might not actually miss Murray or Stokes.
    It has indeed been a strange but exciting transfer window, to say the least.

Girls don’t like peh

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Sad to see him go as I liked Murray. Seeing as he has been allowed to leave after Stokes being emptied I would doubt he has much of a future with us. Wish him all the best. Onwards and upwards for the mighty Hibees!
    Last edited by Baader; 01-02-2018 at 02:20 AM.

It's a loan deal though, no? The way I see it, if the new crop of strikers settle and Murray is surplus to requirements, then hopefully making the switch permanent will suit all parties. On the other hand if we need to reinforce up front in the summer then we still have him under contract and we know what we're getting from him - even better if he kicks on at Dundee and comes back hungry.

Was as taken aback with today's activity as anyone but the more I think about it the more pleased I am. Here's hoping the new signings live up to their billing - on tonight's evidence we look to be in good hands.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    He was taken to young

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    I think we may regret this. Top two scorers gone (one quite rightly) in one window - not good.

I would also submit the view (stay calm everyone) that new boy Kamberi will not fit the bill over the piece.

Overall,im not chuffed at all with this Januarys business.

The good news, is that my predictions are often wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we may regret this. Top two scorers gone (one quite rightly) in one window - not good.

I would also submit the view (stay calm everyone) that new boy Kamberi will not fit the bill over the piece.

Ok I’ll bite
    I agree on Murray, I think he should have stayed especially given our lack of striker options. But to say Kamberi won’t fit after the shift he’s just put in and scored is negativity for the sakes of negativity.

@hibs.net private member

I think Kamberi looks a better fit than Murray...mainly because he can hold up the ball, and link play...which Murray simply couldn't do..but the real question is Murray or Allan? Who would you prefer...because that is why he is away. That was the deal available. Lennon had to sacrifice him to get Allan from Dundee. And he has chosen to do so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I wish him well at Dens Park and hope he comes back for next season. There's a player in there but his self confidence has been destroyed (in the same vein as Danny Swanston)

@hibs.net private member
    I'd rather he stayed but he has looked out of sorts for a while. I can see the sense in the move if the new strikers are better. Time will tell on that.

Hope he starts every week and bangs them in for the Dee

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I think Kamberi looks a better fit than Murray...mainly because he can hold up the ball, and link play...which Murray simply couldn't do but the real question is Murray or Allan? Who would you prefer...because that is why he is away. That was the deal available. Lennon had to sacrifice him to get Allan from Dundee. And he has chosen to do so.

I think this is a big gamble by NL and only time will tell. I liked Simon, but he did flatter to deceive at times, I would have still stuck with him though.
    Scott Allan worries me a bit in as much as we have got shot of one player whose attitude was rank rotten and I wonder if we have just signed another? There's absolutely NO DOUBT that the man is a class fitba player and if he applies himself to the game, he can be a superstar for us.
    I don't know where this signing leaves Danny Swanson though as we now seem to have an abundance of midfield players.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I'm glad it's only a loan, hope he can come back in the summer and give Neil a reason to keep him in the first team. A fair bit of potential but not the finished article and as Stokes didn't work out we can't afford to play him hoping it's one of his good games.

good luck to him, wish it had worked out better for him. Started so well

Sad that his last action for the mighty Cabbage was to don a judge's wig for a promotional photo shoot for our new 'legal partner'. His ginger hair was poking through under the wig, all a bit amateur hour, not the way he would have liked to be remembered I'm sure.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 01-02-2018 at 08:03 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    I think this is a big gamble by NL and only time will tell. I liked Simon, but he did flatter to deceive at times, I would have still stuck with him though.
    Scott Allan worries me a bit in as much as we have got shot of one player whose attitude was rank rotten and I wonder if we have just signed another? There's absolutely NO DOUBT that the man is a class fitba player and if he applies himself to the game, he can be a superstar for us.
    I don't know where this signing leaves Danny Swanson though as we now seem to have an abundance of midfield players.

I don't think it's a gamble. I don't really see any attitude issues from Allan. I agree with your point on Swanson though. Will further limit his very rare chances. Lennon doesn't seem to fancy him anymore. Same with Murray - Both players he signed. He seems fairly ruthless.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I think Kamberi looks a better fit than Murray...mainly because he can hold up the ball, and link play...which Murray simply couldn't do..but the real question is Murray or Allan? Who would you prefer...because that is why he is away. That was the deal available. Lennon had to sacrifice him to get Allan from Dundee. And he has chosen to do so.

Murray for me, he has shown he can score goals and we are now in my opinion light in depth up front. Not overly enthused about Allan being back and not convinced he is the answer to our ability to kill off teams and score more goals.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Murray for me, he has shown he can score goals and we are now in my opinion light in depth up front. Not overly enthused about Allan being back and not convinced he is the answer to our ability to kill off teams and score more goals.

I'm the other way. Murray hasn't scored since early November. Don't think he is good enough to be our main striker tbh. Allan could be the missing link from midfield to attack, if he gets his head down and performs..

Left by mutual consent!
    Think its a good move for Murray and Hibs personally.

At the moment...we cant guarantee 90mins a week,and Dundee will.
    Hes very raw too.

Hopefully he bangs some goals in there....then ready to score more at ER next season.

Always welcome back at ER.

Really started well at Hibs but dropped off recently as he was in and out team. Needs a run of games and wish him all the best.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Simon is a great guy happy to be at the club and a willing worker and not someone I would be unhappy to see remain at ER but unfortunately he is nowhere near the quality we require if we want to push on.

There is no doubt he became less and less effective as the season progressed and his recent displays were completely ineffectual.

I doubt he has the guile, awareness, finishing ability or control to hold down a starting berth at centre forward for any SPL side.

FWIW I might have been tempted to play him in a wide role but Boyle and Barker's form has ruled that out.

As I say wont be unhappy if he comes back as a squad player but we need far far better for 2 main striking positions.

The fact that Simon has slipped far below Oli Shaw at this early stage of Oli's development says it all

Good luck at Dundee Simon, prove me wrong

I don't think he gets the credit he deserves, that heidthebaw Steven Craigen on bt sports in particular seems to have it in for him. If you didn't watch the games but just listened to the pundits you'd think Dundee have just signed the world's biggest huddy instead of our best striker for reasonable chunks of the season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Good luck Simon!

Great attitude and can certainly find the back of the net. Hope you return challenging for the first team in due course.

mon the cabbage!!!

First Team Regular

We have seriously lacked a player this season with a killer pass, if getting that player meant Murray had to go in the other direction, then that is maybe just a sacrifice worth making.

First Team Breakthrough kevo1875's Avatar
    The fact hibs and dundee were trying to arrange a transfer fee suggests he possibly won't be back ... if that's the case then thank u Simon and good luck

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    I was disappointed when I heard Simon Murray was going out on loan, especially after releasing Stokes. I've never in my 50 years of supporting Hibs seen our two top scorers depart simultaneously in the transfer window.
    This said, our new Swiss guy has got off to a flyer and Barker has finally added a goal to his repertoire. We are still waiting for McClaren to get up to speed and to deliver, whilst Shaw has proved himself more than adequate up front with his goals, and if Swanson can get a run and reproduce his St. Johnstone form, with goals to boot, and Boyle continues his rich vein of form, and our midfielders and central defenders can chip in with the odd goal or two, we might not actually miss Murray or Stokes.
    It has indeed been a strange but exciting transfer window, to say the least.
    Not surprising really, the transfer window wasn't operational for the vast majority of your 50 years supporting Hibs.

Get your point though.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I like Murray a lot, but this is a good situation for Hibs - if he goes to Dundee and becomes a better SPL player and scores goals, then we get back a better player and either keep him or sell him. If he goes there and makes no impact, then we know he's not cut out for the top league.

My only guess is that Lennon felt that he wasn't improving quickly enough, and with more limited game time for us on the horizon, the move made sense. I know it was just one game but you could see what Kamberi had to offer last night - a tireless worker, who held the ball up and led the line well, brought others into play and was a physical match for the centre halfs, very mobile too. And obviously he can finish. I think Lennon was hoping that Murray and big Davie would provide those attributes between them, but but fingers crossed we have them all in one player.

Kamberi seems perfect for having Boyle and Barker either side of him.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 01-02-2018 at 08:39 AM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I like him but he's not a lone striker, he doesn't hold the ball up well enough for me.

Would've been gutted if it wasn't a loan, as there's certainly a player in there that can score goals. However I just don't think he suited our system, the way we played a 4-3-3 with him up front by himself saw him play a role he wasn't familiar with. Think the 3-5-2 suited him really well and where we would've seen the best Murray imo.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk