hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

What are "Featured Groups" in Sky golf coverage?

I've never noticed this before. What's it all about?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never noticed this before. What's it all about?
    Supposedly the better players who are grouped together at times which are good for tv viewing. They will feature prominently in the tv broadcast.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Supposedly the better players who are grouped together at times which are good for tv viewing. They will feature prominently in the tv broadcast.
    Ok. Thanks.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

The groups that will be featured most in the live coverage. Usually high profile, or high interest players

I only ever thought of this in connection with the red button.. where you can select one of the 'feature groups' and watch their whole round.

Maybe that's incorrect though and, as above, it's the general term for those that the main coverage are showing most.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I only ever thought of this in connection with the red button.. where you can select one of the 'feature groups' and watch their whole round.

Maybe that's incorrect though and, as above, it's the general term for those that the main coverage are showing most.
    No I think you’re right. In the majors you can press the red button and watch certain groups or holes. In the masters you can just watch amen corner if you want.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Since Sky created their dedicated Golf Channel, featured groups are now common in their coverage of many tournaments outwith the Majors.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Since Sky created their dedicated Golf Channel, featured groups are now common in their coverage of many tournaments outwith the Majors.
    Yup. It used to be online coverage for the American audience before the networks took over. Sky started showing it a few years ago on the red button but now it’s on the dedicated golf channel as they fill that.
    Last edited by greenlex; 10-02-2018 at 10:03 AM.

To be fair, the tournaments, in conjunction with any TV channel that is covering the event, have “doctored” the draws for the first 2 rounds so that the big name players are featured at peak viewing times either in Europe or USA.

Obviously the draw can’t be “fixed” for the final 2 rounds but more often than not the players that are in contention have risen to the top of the leader board. TV channels then plan their coverage to focus on those players. Occasionally, if some big names are further down the field at that point, they’ll maybe devote some coverage to them as well but in the main the leaders get the limelight.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Good to see Grant Forrest comfortably in the top 24 and through to the matchplay stages over in OZ. As an aside what a ****ing spectacular meltdown from Lee Westwood.