hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stokes released

First Team Breakthrough

Stokes released

Sky report Stokes released from contract

2. Log in to remove the advert

Thanks for the memories Stokes! Gutted it's ended like this as he's genuinely a class player when he wanted to be.

Sad.

What a complete mess. And very, very sad. Gutted.
    Last edited by Swedish hibee; 30-01-2018 at 06:48 PM.

It had to happen unfortunately.. all the best and thanks for that performance at Hampden.. hopefully he can get his head sorted and try and get something out of what’s left of his career..

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Will always be a legend, but it's an exit akin to Sauzee's in terms of disappointment. Of course Le God was the ultimate pro - Stokes is sadly a wasted talent.

Gutted that this is how his hibs career ends tbh. What memories he's given us but he's let the club down with his attitude and his silly actions. Good on hibs and Neil Lennon taking a tough stance on this, no player is bigger than the club and clearly Stokes wasn't prepared to buck up his ideas. No player is bigger than the club, cup final hero or not.

Disappointing from Stokes. A grown man and an experienced player who knows exactly what is expected from him yet clearly hasn't grown up. He will always be a club hero but he was becoming a big disruption that we don't need.

Aye, sad it didn't work out.

TBH this is for the best on a number of levels. We can still be grateful to Stokes for the cup win, and be grateful for the fact that he did come back again.

It could have become silly, nasty and really bitter - this stops it getting to that level.

Disappointing and sad, but not disastrous.

I really hope he sorts his s**t out and gets a decent last few years out of his talent.

And I hope to god he doesn't do something really silly like join Hearts.

Oh - and respect to Lennon for taking what must have been a very, very tough decision. That's what we want from a manager - he's been let down, and he's done the right thing. Good on him.

@hibs.net private member
    What does released mean? Have we paid him off?

A true Hibs legend. Thankyou for 21/5/16. Really sad but glad our manager has shown who's boss.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Everything was in place for it to work for him at Hibs; he didn't need to prove himself to the support because he was already loved, he knew most of the players & he had played the best football of his career under Lennon at Celtic so I was really hoping that it would work out with him. Gutted it hasn't because he is an excellent footballer on his day, unfortunately it wasn't 'his day' often enough.

What a waste of a talent & what a waste of an opportunity for him to really give it a go at one club and enhance his legend.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    What a waste of a career. There are only so many chances you can waste.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It had to happen unfortunately.. all the best and thanks for that performance at Hampden.. hopefully he can get his head sorted and try and get something out of what’s left of his career..
    More importantly it sets a very clear marker for the rest of the squad that we have standards of behaviour and not one player is bigger than the club. Sad as it may be I think this is strong (and good) management. I don't feel sorry for Anthony Stokes, I feel sorry for the people that put all that effort in during summer to get him. He's let everyone down at the club.

@hibs.net private member 18Craig75's Avatar
    Well done to Lennon for taking swift action. Not an easy decision to cut out your supposed talisman. No player is bigger than the club. Glad to see that history won’t repeat itself in the shape of a squad revolt, quick and decisive action from our manager!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I think it means we've come to a mutual agreement/settlement with his contract terminated and he's now a free agent. I would think so anyway. Best all round I think. Still a Holy Grail Legend Stokesy!

Mon the Cabbage!!

It means we have come to an agreement that may have cost Hibs a few quid or maybe not.

Sad and angry

@hibs.net private member
    Totally gutted the way this has panned out. All the best at your next club Stokesy

Legend for 21 MAY but don't let the door hit ya on the way out. No one is bigger than Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    Everything was in place for it to work for him at Hibs; he didn't need to prove himself to the support because he was already loved, he knew most of the players & he had played the best football of his career under Lennon at Celtic so I was really hoping that it would work out with him. Gutted it hasn't because he is an excellent footballer on his day, unfortunately it wasn't 'his day' often enough.

What a waste of a talent & what a waste of an opportunity for him to really give it a go at one club and enhance his legend.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.
    Gutted but onwards and upwards.
    Thanks for the memories

His own fault.

Gutted this has ended this way. Man clearly has serious issues.

Someone who should be up there with the all time legends but will probably never set foot in ER again. Sad.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Possibly but my guess is he was going to be sacked if there was no agreement to rip up his contract. That would probably leave him in limbo without a club and no income and take a chance at a tribunal. It’s probably his best option. Best option all round to be fair

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Someone who should be up there with the all time legends but will probably never set foot in ER again. Sad.
    Completely agree. It is so sad. And we still don't know what happened.

As sad an episode as there has been at Hibs in my time supporting them. I hate seeing a guy who is an utter legend at ER go like this, for me and any other Hibby who was there or watched on the telly that day he will ALWAYS be a legend.

I fear for the guy now ... If after a season doing nothing he cant revive his career at a club where he was absolutely loved and everybody wanted him to succeed where will he revive it?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Sacked more like, but released saves his face and ends it to the football world amicably.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Will always be a legend, but it's an exit akin to Sauzee's in terms of disappointment. Of course Le God was the ultimate pro - Stokes is sadly a wasted talent.
    Wow that's some statement. Personally there's no comparison, when Sauzee was sacked I was genuinely sickened and couldn't be ersed with hibs for a while.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    To be fair though I suspect Stokes will in the future have a lot more time for Hibs fans than Sauzee has ever shown. Ultimate pro or not, there's only one of the two who has won a Scottish Cup for Hibs. Not having a go, but the Sauzee love in ended a long time ago for me - the guy has shown no obvious interest in Hibs whatsoever since he left.

For the two goals v ICT and of course, the two goals in the greatest game in our proud history, thank you Anthony Stokes