hibs.net Messageboard

The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society

Fifty years since it was released. Is it one of the most important albums ever released by a British group?

What are your favourite tracks on it. Mine is Big Sky.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Great to see a major reissue of this, struggle to have a favourite as it has been years since I had the vinyl version. One of the great British albums though.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Probably my favourite Kinks album. Difficult to pick out individual songs but my favourite two are probably Picture book and the album title track.

Would have loved to have been around for the bands of the 60s.

It wasn't considered cool when it was released in 1968 because emphasis had shifted to Cream/Led Zep heavier bluesy stuff. A year earlier it might have been different.
    Hearing it now it's charming and Picture Book is a song I can't get out of my head at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It wasn't considered cool when it was released in 1968 because emphasis had shifted to Cream/Led Zep heavier bluesy stuff. A year earlier it might have been different.
    Hearing it now it's charming and Picture Book is a song I can't get out of my head at the moment!
    Yeah, that would be around the time when British music started to take itself too seriously, and The Links got dumped into the "pop" bin. It would be nearly ten years until punk managed to blow that nonsense away.

When you consider some of the innovations the Kinks were responsible for, like distortion, and the first use of a sugar on a rock record, it was criminal the way they were sneered at by the hip people at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay El Eff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that would be around the time when British music started to take itself too seriously, and The Links got dumped into the "pop" bin. It would be nearly ten years until punk managed to blow that nonsense away.

When you consider some of the innovations the Kinks were responsible for, like distortion, and the first use of a sugar on a rock record, it was criminal the way they were sneered at by the hip people at the time.
    Well OK. Cream and Zep were pretty good! The Stones and Beatles got a bit heavier too with the White Album, Beggar's Banquet etc. Some of the Prog stuff was pathetic though.
    I think the Kinks suffered by being too quintessentially English at the wrong time. I'll never forget Waterloo Sunset though. Summer in London 1967!