hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Listening to Neil Lennon talking about the Scotland job the other day I detected a twinkle in his eye and, of course, he gave the standard reply of a manager in that he is happy where he is - knowing that the world is watching, including Leeann Dempster and co. Stranger things have happened in the football manager merry-go-round.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andybev1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hear Rogers is up for patronising prick of the year - good chance of winning it apparently.
    Surely that makes HIM the perfect fit for the Scotland job.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andybev1 View Post
    I hear Rogers is up for patronising prick of the year - good chance of winning it apparently.
    Not to mention totally unprofessional conduct in commenting on the business of a fellow manager. It was bad enough for a nonentity like McNamara to set the ball rolling on this one but Rogers’ involvement beggars belief.

How about Brendan Rodgers sticks to talking about his own team?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Would love Lennon to say so. But he won't.

Blog Entries
    His pre-match conference touched on the International situation. Does he have a vested interest in getting a Celtic minded Scottish National coach?

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers has expressed concern about the possible impact Scotland's post-season friendlies could have on the Hoops' Champions League hopes and the rest of Scottish football.

The Scottish Football Association, still searching for a national team boss to replace Gordon Strachan after Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill rejected the opportunity, have arranged four matches in the meantime including a trip to Peru on May 29 before taking on Mexico away on June 2.

The Parkhead club have recently provided Scotland and Hoops captain Scott Brown, Craig Gordon, Kieran Tierney, Stuart Armstrong, Callum McGregor, James Forrest and Leigh Griffiths to the national squad.

Celtic, in the likelihood of them winning the Ladbrokes Premiership title again, will begin their Champions League qualification campaign on July 10 or 11 and Rodgers, hoping his side make the William Hill Scottish Cup final on May 19, pointed out the implications of a short summer break.

"We hope to make it through to the Scottish Cup final which takes you through to May 19, if you then have eight of your players at least going on a friendly tour to South America, I don't think it is helpful for Celtic, ''said the Northern Irishman, who will be looking for a "sensible decision'' to be made by whoever becomes Strachan's successor.

"Players will play 60 games plus, plus international games so that makes it extremely difficult, especially for the young players like Kieran Tierney who are starting out on their careers and have made great starts.

"You don't want them to be broken and burnt out too early in their career because of the number of games.

"Footballers are not machines, they are human beings and they need that mental and physical recovery at times.

"But I also think it is for the wider scope of Scottish football.

"The team has the opportunity to qualify for the Champions League, they need every chance they can to qualify.

"One: for the national game, to show we can put a team into the elite club competition in European football, but also two: financially.

"The financial implications the last couple of years qualifying for the Champions League is that each of the other clubs get a substantial amount of money for that and sometimes that is the most revenue that they get.

"So it is not just for Celtic. Of course, you look firstly within your club and the players but you also have to take into consideration Scottish football when you bring on a friendly campaign that far away at that time of the season.

"Some of these players had six days (off) last year, some had 10, the maximum the non-internationals had was three weeks, so to do that again, you are not giving yourself an opportunity.'

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Not to mention totally unprofessional conduct in commenting on the business of a fellow manager. It was bad enough for a nonentity like McNamara to set the ball rolling on this one but Rogers’ involvement beggars belief.
    The media is a funny bugger. There's a pretty good possibility that Neil put Rogers and/or McNamara up to making the 'speculation' as a roundabout way of announcing he was interested in the job - it'd be far from the first time that feelers would have been sent out this way by managers hunting for jobs, and Lennon certainly didn't do anything to shut down the speculation when they pressed him at the press conference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    The media is a funny bugger. There's a pretty good possibility that Neil put Rogers and/or McNamara up to making the 'speculation' as a roundabout way of announcing he was interested in the job - it'd be far from the first time that feelers would have been sent out this way by managers hunting for jobs, and Lennon certainly didn't do anything to shut down the speculation when they pressed him at the press conference.
    Interesting observation but I’d be surprised and disappointed if true.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    At least he'd have plenty free time to attend all the Celtic gigs lol

Scotland job is a road to nowhere for Lennon but perhaps the best he could hope as England will no touch him. Be disappointed to see him leave, but ultimately everyone chucks it at Hibs unlesss they think they'll be supported to take the team to a higher level.

The news article does it make it seem like he woyld be interested. He possibly could just be pushing hibs to give him a bit cash to spend though

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    No chance Lennon will ever manage the Scottish national team,nFFS he has enough on his plate with the media for him to start getting asked about this nonsense, it ain't happening.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    No chance Lennon will ever manage the Scottish national team,nFFS he has enough on his plate with the media for him to start getting asked about this nonsense, it ain't happening.
    Correct!!!!!

But we are playing Celtic at the weekend, so a wee bit of confusion goes a long way in the media!!!!!!!

Neil Lennon would be an excellent Scotland manager imo

He won't ever even be approached for it because half the country genuinely hate him for one reason or another

Lennon would never be offered (or take) the Scotland job. He is detested by a large proportion of the countries fans so he would be on a hiding to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Neil Lennon would be an excellent Scotland manager imo

He won't ever even be approached for it because half the country genuinely hate him for one reason or another
    Don't recall much of a love in for Craig Levein and he still got it......

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Don't recall much of a love in for Craig Levein and he still got it......
    The job he done at Dundee United was pretty well rec'd throughout the media at the time.

He may be hated by hibs fans Levein, but Lennon is genuinely despised by rangers/hearts fans and dislikes by many others. I'd say about 60% football fans in this country has a sever disliking for him.

Which suits me, he's ours

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Scotland would be mad to appoint Lennon. A number of Rangers fans would find it very difficult to support Scotland with him in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    Scotland would be mad to appoint Lennon. A number of Rangers fans would find it very difficult to support Scotland with him in charge.
    No change from the norm there then.

Wait till we play Israel....

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Rogers is a 🛎🔚 of the highest order, is a poor football manager hiding at Celtic and best ignored. I hope the fans going tomorrow let him know what we think of him

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    Serious question. Is there a large % of rangers fans in the tartan army? I would have thought the pro Scotland anti union sentiment displayed at Scotland games would make it difficult for them to support the national team in great numbers anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Serious question. Is there a large % of rangers fans in the tartan army? I would have thought the pro Scotland anti union sentiment displayed at Scotland games would make it difficult for them to support the national team in great numbers anyway?
    Probably not. But they would still release a statement,protest,make death threats etc etc. Just because it would be an affront to them to have a 'fenian'in charge of the national team.especially if it was Lennon.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Surely that makes HIM the perfect fit for the Scotland job.
    I'm sure the job profile said something about only highly polished mahogany faced sycophants need apply so he's got to be in with a shout.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    Dick
    Excuse me?

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    This whole thing might be a load of tosh, but it appears his head has been turned a bit and this doesn’t fit well with his and the players’ frame of mind with the big game coming up. Is it a coincidence that the flames are being fanned by Celtic folk?
    Last edited by Jim44; 26-01-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Said many times this season to my mates, lennon will leave at end of the season and Stubbs/Doolan will be back in charge. Just my prediction

Left by mutual consent!
    Excuse me?
    Think he was agreeing with you and insulting Rodgers.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    He’s said a few times he’s too young for the Job and he sees it as a role for an older manager, those quotes in the sunnatr pretty damning though so it sounds like he’s maybe changed his mind.

To get round his unpopularity with half of the country he’d probably just appoint McCoist or someone else rangers minded to the coaching staff.

FWIW I think he’d be the perfect fit for the job and a great appointment for the exact same reasons Rodgers gave.