hibs.net Messageboard

Page 66 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 3436
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It does though - see posts from others on police views.
    Anecdotal stories on Hibs net are not really a smoking gun, are they? Facts are that there are no laws governing slow driving on motorways or dual carriagewas, yes in some circumstances slow driving will draw the attention of the police and yes slow driving can be a contributing factor to an accident, but I'd wager there has never been an accident where it was deemed to be the sole cause. Blaming a slow moving vehicle is like blaming rain or snow for causing an accident, it's nonsense and they're at most contributing factors.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I drive everywhere at the speed limit and occasionally over it on a motorway. The 70mph speed limit is a nonsense considering it’s calculated by braking distance, cars have evolved hugely since the speed limit was calculated and they aren’t credible anymore.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    Source:https://www.drivingtestsuccess.com/b...ation-distance

"Always know your limitations, and remember that: “Only a fool breaks the 2-second rule.”

Multiple collisions or pile-ups are caused by driving too close and too fast, which leads to drivers being unable to brake in time. You can avoid this by looking well forward, checking how the traffic is performing, getting clues from large vehicles, looking for buses pulling in and out, taxis stopping and turning, junctions and pedestrians."

And:

"Plus, if you hit the car in front of you, you are considered to blame. You have no choice as to the space left behind you, but you can control the amount of space in front".
    My peeve here is leaving a safe stopping distance and the asses that pull in and close the ****** gap.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    My peeve here is leaving a safe stopping distance and the asses that pull in and close the ****** gap.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    That happens all the time, it really annoys me.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    That happens all the time, it really annoys me.
    Or people that overtake you on an empty dual carriageway in pissing rain and pull in just in front of you and splatter your windscreen with crap.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    And nothing alters the fact if someone driving faster can't anticipate the slower driver then they are more dangerous.

Nothing alters the fact that neither you, nor I, will know the reason for the driver going slower than you want, so maybe you should ask yourself, 'I wonder if they are in trouble'?

2 points here.

No-one is here claiming that someone driving too fast and carelessly isn't dangerous. On the other hand you are bizzarely trying to claim that driving too slow isn't dangerous.

Secondly, even if there is a valid reason for driving at snails pace on a 70mph limit ( of which there really aren't many valid reasons) , it STILL remains a dangerous act, if there is a reason or not.

I think you need to ask yourself why you are continuing to deny this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Anecdotal stories on Hibs net are not really a smoking gun, are they? Facts are that there are no laws governing slow driving on motorways or dual carriagewas, yes in some circumstances slow driving will draw the attention of the police and yes slow driving can be a contributing factor to an accident, but I'd wager there has never been an accident where it was deemed to be the sole cause. Blaming a slow moving vehicle is like blaming rain or snow for causing an accident, it's nonsense and they're at most contributing factors.
    So we should ignore anecdotal evidence from Police friends of those on Hibs.net, but instead trust the gut instincts of 2 posters on Hibs.net who just have a feeling that its ok to drive at any speed you like in a 70

And then you say that you'd wager there has never been an accident where slow driving was the sole cause? Based on what? Your gut?

In 2019 there were 26 serious injuries and 2 deaths in the UK where slow driving was a contributing factor - source Dept for Transport. So to be clear, slow driving has actually contributed towards the death of people. Are you still going to tell me that its ok for people to drive as slow as they like?

I actually think your posts on this are quite irresponsible.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    So we should ignore anecdotal evidence from Police friends of those on Hibs.net, but instead trust the gut instincts of 2 posters on Hibs.net who just have a feeling that its ok to drive at any speed you like in a 70

And then you say that you'd wager there has never been an accident where slow driving was the sole cause? Based on what? Your gut?

In 2019 there were 26 serious injuries and 2 deaths in the UK where slow driving was a contributing factor - source Dept for Transport. So to be clear, slow driving has actually contributed towards the death of people. Are you still going to tell me that its ok for people to drive as slow as they like?

For comparison can you tell us the figures for serious injury and deaths by speed. No point in getting one set of figures to help your 'argument' without balance now, is there? 🤔

Just looked. Your stats account for 0.001% of the total casualty figure for the year to June 2019.
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 06-05-2021 at 09:27 PM.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    But, here is the point, you and I are not arbiters of what is "driving too slow without good reason"

Remember, this is on a dual carriageway and the first time anyone is aware of the car is when you see that you are gaining on them, you have no idea what has happened in the moments beforehand and that they are possibly driving to the next lay-by.

We can't prejudge the action of others without knowing all the facts. All I'm trying to say is that you and I have no idea what the circumstances were and should give the driver the benefit of the doubt.
    Well? Any comment Mr LaMotta?
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

For comparison can you tell us the figures for serious injury and deaths by speed. No point in getting one set of figures to help your 'argument' without balance now, is there? ��

Just looked. Your stats account for 0.001% of the total casualty figure for the year to June 2019.
    Are you deliberately being this obtuse for a reason? Like seriously? You MUST be on the wind up? I can't actually believe im having to explain this.

The comparison with people going too fast is completely irrelevant because nobody, not one person, is making irresponsible claims that driving too fast and carelessly is not dangerous. Its not a part of my argument. How can't you see that?

It changes nothing about the fact that slow driving can be dangerous. Wake up man ffs!
    Last edited by LaMotta; 06-05-2021 at 09:42 PM.

And I think your posts are pretty silly. In 2019 there were 1,926 road deaths in the UK and you claim that 2, yes 2 of those deaths had slow driving as a CONTRIBUTING factor. 2 deaths is the average amount of deaths that happen that are DIRECTLY contributed to lightning strikes per year in the UK. Now each death is tragic but claiming that 2 deaths caused by slow driving being a CONTRIBUTING factor is a cause for concern is nuts. More than likely the main reason for those 2 deaths will be for other reasons like the drivers hitting those cars driving slowly not driving with due care and attention. Like I mentioned earlier, if someone drives into a stationary car on the motorway then the blame lies mainly with them for not having their car under control or not driving with due care and attention and the stationary car is merely a contributing factor in the accident.

And yes I do tend to ignore anecdotal evidence because it's meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

And I think your posts are pretty silly. In 2019 there were 1,926 road deaths in the UK and you claim that 2, yes 2 of those deaths had slow driving as a CONTRIBUTING factor. 2 deaths is the average amount of deaths that happen that are DIRECTLY contributed to lightning strikes per year in the UK. Now each death is tragic but claiming that 2 deaths caused by slow driving being a CONTRIBUTING factor is a cause for concern is nuts. More than likely the main reason for those 2 deaths will be for other reasons like the drivers hitting those cars driving slowly not driving with due care and attention. Like I mentioned earlier, if someone drives into a stationary car on the motorway then the blame lies mainly with them for not having their car under control or not driving with due care and attention and the stationary car is merely a contributing factor in the accident.

And yes I do tend to ignore anecdotal evidence because it's meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
    Your posts are actually a disgrace.

26 people were seriously injured and 2 people died in a year due to people driving too slowly - the fact you think that is acceptable is disgusting. Thankfully the police don't agree.

@hibs.net private member
    In Germany you get taught that braking distance in meters is calculated by speed in kmh ÷ 10 × speed in kmh ÷ 10. For example if you're travelling at 100kmh then your braking distance should be 100m (100÷10) × (100÷10) = 100m.
    Why do the sum? If 100kmh = 100m then why bother multiplying and dividing.

@hibs.net private member
    Another benefit of the EU, how the fuch do you calculate that in miles per hour 🙄
    Multiply by 5 and divide by 8.

Your posts are actually a disgrace.

26 people were seriously injured and 2 people died in a year due to people driving too slowly - the fact you think that is acceptable is disgusting. Thankfully the police don't agree.
    Disgrace There are no default minimum speed limits on motorways or dual carriageways. There are some laws however that govern what types of vehicles can travel on motorways, motorbikes and scooters under 50cc are one example. These vehicles are restricted to 30mph which would suggest that 31mph is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Why do the sum? If 100kmh = 100m then why bother multiplying and dividing.
    I used 100kph as an easy example. If you're travelling at 80, then the braking distance would be 80÷10 × 80÷10 = 64m. There's also the thumb rule that if you double your speed then you quadruple the breaking distance.

@hibs.net private member
    People who drive at 45mph on a two lane motorway are an absolute pain in the jacksie and effectively reduce a two lane carriageway into a single lane for the majority as everyone has to funnel into a single lane to pass them. People who are prepared to spend dozens of posts defending them are almost certainly people I don't want to be anywhere near on the roads.

Funny how Ray missed this one in his multi reply 🤔
    You've posted that much irrelevant nonsense on this thread, it was quite easy to miss.

Well? Any comment Mr LaMotta?
    We can't know for sure if there is a valid reason I agree, but there really is very little reason for driving at low speeds, so I don't think giving the benefit of the doubt to the driver is sensible. Either way, the crux of this entire argument is that earlier you indicated that people should be able to drive within the limit at whatever speed they like based on their driving capabilities. Do you stand by that view? If you do, I'm worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    People who drive at 45mph on a two lane motorway are an absolute pain in the jacksie and effectively reduce a two lane carriageway into a single lane for the majority as everyone has to funnel into a single lane to pass them. People who are prepared to spend dozens of posts defending them are almost certainly people I don't want to be anywhere near on the roads.
    Same can be said for any speed under 70. And likewise, people who get upset by grandad on Sunday taking his car for a spin and aren't capable of accepting that not all road users are of equal mental and physical capabilities are not the kind of drivers that encourage road safety.

Disgrace There are no default minimum speed limits on motorways or dual carriageways. There are some laws however that govern what types of vehicles can travel on motorways, motorbikes and scooters under 50cc are one example. These vehicles are restricted to 30mph which would suggest that 31mph is acceptable.
    Oh look, more drivel from your gut. The laws don't allow a scooter under 50cc to drive on a 70mph dual carriageway or a motorway - source the highway code.

Absolutely. Very worrying.

@hibs.net private member
    Same can be said for any speed under 70. And likewise, people who get upset by grandad on Sunday taking his car for a spin and aren't capable of accepting that not all road users are of equal mental and physical capabilities are not the kind of drivers that encourage road safety.
    People who don't have the mental or physical faculties to make good progress on a straight road with no pedestrians, T junctions or any of the other complexities and risk factors of normal roads should absolutely not be driving at all.

You've posted that much irrelevant nonsense on this thread, it was quite easy to miss.

We can't know for sure if there is a valid reason I agree, but there really is very little reason for driving at low speeds, so I don't think giving the benefit of the doubt to the driver is sensible. Either way, the crux of this entire argument is that earlier you indicated that people should be able to drive within the limit at whatever speed they like based on their driving capabilities. Do you stand by that view? If you do, I'm worried.
    If you think that anyone who feels uncomfortable driving at 70 is a menace then that's worrying. Do you think that senior citizens who don't feel comfortable with driver at 70 should either be forced to or have their licence revoked?

@hibs.net private member
    If you think that anyone who feels uncomfortable driving at 70 is a menace then that's worrying. Do you think that senior citizens who don't feel comfortable with driver at 70 should either be forced to or have their licence revoked?
    Yes

People who don't have the mental or physical faculties to make good progress on a straight road with no pedestrians, T junctions or any of the other complexities and risk factors of normal roads should absolutely not be driving at all.
    So if some drivers don't feel comfortable driving at the MAXIMUM speed limit of 70, you think they should have their license revoked?

Yes
    Well that's disturbing.

@hibs.net private member
    So if some drivers don't feel comfortable driving at the MAXIMUM speed limit of 70, you think they should have their license revoked?
    Yup. Motorways are the simplest roads in the country, if you can't manage one of those I don't want you driving past my kids school at 20mph either.

Correct.

Your analysis skills are woeful if that's the conclusion you've come to about my views. Not surprising given your interpretation of the situation in general. If someone feels more comfortable driving at 60 or 65 in a 70, then no problem at all.

On your second question its funny you ask that, because I was responsible for ensuring that my Dad's licence was revoked 2 years ago when he was 73, basically cause he was a danger to others on the road. He has now been diagnosed with Alzheimer's so his erratic driving had an explanation. He was devastated, but it was necessary. If you are suggesting you wouldn't do the same thing then shame on you.

Yup. Motorways are the simplest roads in the country, if you can't manage one of those I don't want you driving past my kids school at 20mph either.
    2 different kettles of fish.

@hibs.net private member
    2 different kettles of fish.
    No, they're not. You're talking about people not having the mental or physical faculties to drive on an entirely straight road. I'm saying if that's the case they should be nowhere near a situation where little kids could dash out in front of them as they clearly wouldn't have the capability to react.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    I'm a senior citizen and after reading this thread if I catch my speedo dipping below 60 at all on the M9 tomorrow I'm going to admit I'm a disgrace and hand in my licence the day after.