hibs.net Messageboard

Page 52 of 115 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 3436
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This could equally fall into the standard Pet Peeves but our wee block of flats where I live have been an ice rink recently - we have two flats in our block of six occupied by elderly people and the path directly outside is a slope down to a car park - also on a slope - where the communal bins are. I've been making it my job each morning to head to the grit bin and grit around the bins and up the path so they can head out, walk their dogs and not be in danger. I've even gritted the pavement around the grit bin so people can use it safely if they need to.

Across the car park there's another block of six flats that have a similar path that leads up to the main road and bus stop. This morning when I was out doing my thing a mother of three kids who communicate entirely in screaming, she's only ever really seen wearing a dressing down, grass out the front overgrown and toys strewn all over the place had a go whilst hanging out of their window saying "Aye, dinnae see you gritting over at our path do we" in her trademark bellow. After pointing out that I don't work for the council and we have elderly people in our block, she bellows back "yeah but I have to go to the shops and the paths a ****ing danger and you're too ****ing lazy to do it".

I'm not one to swear at people at all but just had to reply "What's stopping you from getting off your arse and doing it then?" to get another mouthful back. Popped out to the bins earlier and seen that nobody's thought of gritting it there.

I can understand having a go at the council - though I can imagine that this year has been more difficult to plan things as they normally would - but spent the day staggered about some peoples laziness and lack of gratefulness.

Tell the ***** bucket to **** off and do it herself.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Did this lady have any obvious reason to not get involved and give you a hand? If not I can’t help but feel you should have told her to shove it up her arse.

It's far more effective to put it on the road, it clears more ice then

There's no reason for her not to help but she's a notorious local loudmouth. Already had police at hers in the summer for having people piled into the garden for a BBQ.

The thing is that with non essential businesses being shut I'm back on furlough and I'm taking it over as a day to day job to ensure that the paths are good but also like in the first lockdown, running errands for my elderly neighbours and whatever is required around about us. I already get up at 6am to give my partner a lift into work and if she'd said "I'm so busy with my kids, could you scatter a bit on here too" I'd be happy to add it to my morning duties. As it is, it's not getting touched!

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but as far as I can tell the new road layout outside the playhouse is left hand lane, left turn only to head up Leith street. Right hand lane splits to the left just after the lights for queen street, or stay to the right for Broughton Street. The amount of times I've seen a car on the left lane continue straight and cause a car to have to slam breaks is unreal.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but as far as I can tell the new road layout outside the playhouse is left hand lane, left turn only to head up Leith street. Right hand lane splits to the left just after the lights for queen street, or stay to the right for Broughton Street. The amount of times I've seen a car on the left lane continue straight and cause a car to have to slam breaks is unreal.
    That’s a real grey area up there. It looks exactly as you describe it, but if you stay in the right hand lane it feeds you into the outside lane and you then have to indicate to go into the lane that takes you to York Pl. The left hand lane takes you into the lane for Leith St or feeds you into the lane for York Pl. According to the writing on the road, the way you describe it is right, but to be honest I’ve not got a clue as I think it’s the left hand lane that splits. Either way it’s a terrible design.

United we stand here....

People on residential streets who don't park on just one side of the street, creating a slalom course as such.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    That’s a real grey area up there. It looks exactly as you describe it, but if you stay in the right hand lane it feeds you into the outside lane and you then have to indicate to go into the lane that takes you to York Pl. The left hand lane takes you into the lane for Leith St or feeds you into the lane for York Pl. According to the writing on the road, the way you describe it is right, but to be honest I’ve not got a clue as I think it’s the left hand lane that splits. Either way it’s a terrible design.
    There are a few roads like that, where the design is so bad it’s almost essential to have some local knowledge off of to avoid an accident through knowing what other drivers are likely to be doing.
    The roundabout coming out of the Gyle centre is terrible, if you’re turning right out the Gyle towards Maybury you are in the right hand lane of the exit, going on to the roundabout.
    When it’s busy, you’re moving into three lanes of traffic coming from the left, heading north (where the left and middle lanes are for straight on ) and then the traffic coming from Edinburgh Park where there’s a slip to join Northbound traffic predominantly used for bypass traffic, and two lanes joining the northbound traffic.
    It ends up a total free-for-all and I’ve seen loads of near misses and arguments with drivers trying to funnel into one of the two lanes northbound. Generally you couldn’t pinpoint who was right and who was wrong because the road layout is so bad.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    I meant to actually add this - the arrows suggest what I say is correct, but the lines on the left lane as you say make it look like left hand is the straight on for York place. Total mental, and lucky I only drive it once or twice a week myself and it's usually about 7am and roads deid

It’s a bad design. I treat it as a roundabout with 4 exits left lane is leith at and York place, right is broughton and back down the walk which goes with the road markings but signs seems to say different.

Total shambles and why has it taken them so bloody long to put it in place probably been over 2 years to create a roundabout or whatever it is.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    It's far more effective to put it on the road, it clears more ice then

There's no reason for her not to help but she's a notorious local loudmouth. Already had police at hers in the summer for having people piled into the garden for a BBQ.

The thing is that with non essential businesses being shut I'm back on furlough and I'm taking it over as a day to day job to ensure that the paths are good but also like in the first lockdown, running errands for my elderly neighbours and whatever is required around about us. I already get up at 6am to give my partner a lift into work and if she'd said "I'm so busy with my kids, could you scatter a bit on here too" I'd be happy to add it to my morning duties. As it is, it's not getting touched!
    A long time ago there was a resident of a house in Edinburgh Road, Perth who had a dispute with the council. It got so bad that gritting stopped along the front of the property.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    It’s a bad design. I treat it as a roundabout with 4 exits left lane is leith at and York place, right is broughton and back down the walk which goes with the road markings but signs seems to say different.

Total shambles and why has it taken them so bloody long to put it in place probably been over 2 years to create a roundabout or whatever it is.
    I must be one of the few people that drive it regularly and find it perfectly fine.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I must be one of the few people that drive it regularly and find it perfectly fine.
    Have you not wondered what all the tooting is about 🤔😉
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    I meant to actually add this - the arrows suggest what I say is correct, but the lines on the left lane as you say make it look like left hand is the straight on for York place. Total mental, and lucky I only drive it once or twice a week myself and it's usually about 7am and roads deid
    I’ve not been up there for a while but I used to drive round there all the time and I’m still none the wiser.

United we stand here....

That’s the way I’ve been doing it, but you get loads of people trying to switch into the left hand lane to go into York Pl. I think the problem is that it says Leith St on the road in the left hand lane, so everyone not going there moves to the right hand lane.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    That’s the way I’ve been doing it, but you get loads of people trying to switch into the left hand lane to go into York Pl. I think the problem is that it says Leith St on the road in the left hand lane, so everyone not going there moves to the right hand lane.
    I've driven it twice and although I did a different thing each time they both felt a bit iffy.

In general it can be tricky in busy areas when the instructions are only on the road so because of the traffic you only see it once it is too late.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I've driven it twice and although I did a different thing each time they both felt a bit iffy.

In general it can be tricky in busy areas when the instructions are only on the road so because of the traffic you only see it once it is too late.
    It’s defo iffy as no one knows which lane to be in which means both lanes try and get into the York place one when it suddenly appears.

I actually hadn’t even noticed there was writing on the road as I’ve always been too busy watching for a car doing the opposite of me!

So which lane is it that you should be in for York Place before the now infamous split...the right hand lane?

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    Getting held up and not knowing the reason? That's because Scotland is one big set of roadworks, but you can check here: https://www.roadworksscotland.org/
    Last edited by c31; 07-01-2021 at 04:16 PM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    IIdiots who have no respect for the winter conditions they are driving in.

Folk who park on communal bins.

Emergency vehicles, particularly fire engines have trouble passing and the b8n men can't don't bother emptying the bins meaning they end up overflowing.
    Space to let

Selfish pricks who park on the apex of blind corners, often with multiple vehicles including vans, because they’re too lazy to walk across the road.

similarly people who park on the street in awkward places just before/after blind corners, forcing traffic into the wrong side of the road as they approach the corner with parked vehicles as described above, again so that they have 5 or 6 less steps.

@hibs.net private member
    People on residential streets who don't park on just one side of the street, creating a slalom course as such.
    I have to drive up a long road before I turn into my estate/scheme and this is how folk park. I moan about it but sometimes I have thoughts that if they were all parked on the same side of the road then you’d never get moving on one side - at least by parking on different sides there’s a way for you to get moving and keep it flowing in both directions?

Not sure though?

Cyclists with no lights on in the dark

Cyclists with no lights on in the dark

usually dressed in black/dark colours, and often with earphones in, and no hi-viz or reflective gear.

and will generally give the car driver a mouthful for getting too close (taking no responsibility for their own actions)

Blog Entries
    The use of indicator lights must have become optional. I recently drove forty miles on dual carriageways and A roads with a police car directly behind me and ahead of me all the way. Despite plenty of manoeuvres requiring indicators, the guy didn’t use them once. He was also driving with one headlight.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    The fact that Saughton road North had not been gritted when I went to work this morning at 03:00 is fair enough as the snow fell in the early hours but for it still not to have been gritted when I returned home at 8am is outrageous, it was like an ice rink in places and its a bus route. WTF are ECC playing at?
    Last edited by Hermit Crab; 08-01-2021 at 01:34 PM.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    The fact that Saughton road North had not been gritted when I went to work this morning at 03:00 is fair enough as the snow fell in the early hours but for it still not to have been gritted when I returned home at 8am is outrageous, it was like an ice rink in places and its a bus route. WTF are ECC playing at?

sounds like they’re taking advice from West Lothian Council

People who just have no awareness of what is going on around them.

I was driving along a residential street last week with cars parked on both sides, it's really tight and 2 cars passing each other is a struggle. I drove past a guy scraping his car who looked up and saw me. When I was about 100 yards or so along the road a John Lewis lorry turned into the street. There was no way we could pass each other and he would have had to back out into a busy road so I reversed back up the road past scraping man (who looked up again) and pulled into a space a further 40 yards or so back. The lorry stopped, hazards on and the 2 guys started to unload a big box. Meanwhile scraping man gets in his car, starts the engine and proceeds to drive straight towards the lorry. He then appears stunned that there is an obstruction because he got out his car to take a closer look at something that was about 20 yards in front of him, gets back in and starts battering his horn then tries and fails to perform a 3 point turn on the tight street.

I don't understand how he didn't see the lorry and didn't wonder why I drove past him then reversed the best part of 200 yards up the street and was sitting half pulled into a space with my engine running.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I have to drive up a long road before I turn into my estate/scheme and this is how folk park. I moan about it but sometimes I have thoughts that if they were all parked on the same side of the road then you’d never get moving on one side - at least by parking on different sides there’s a way for you to get moving and keep it flowing in both directions?

Not sure though?
    It depends - there's a short road into our car park and when people park on both sides it just makes it difficult for larger vehicles to get through. Had to call the police recently because someone had parked in such a way that they'd blocked everyone in the car park in and as it could have been any number of houses who the car was from. Infuriates me as the car park always has spaces in it too, it's just absolute laziness.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    They’ve not gritted most of the residential streets in Livingston. They’ve not come out and said they won’t be emptying bins on time and to bear with them because, surprise surprise, the bin lorries are struggling to get in and out the streets because if the conditions - use your fleet of gritters to get the streets more useable then!

we stay at the end of a street and there’s 2 inches of solid ice for about 300 yards from out house to get to slush rather than ice, which is freezing up now anyway.

and of course they’ll not touch any bagged rubbish sitting beside the bins either. WLC are a joke
    I also live in Livingston so are in the same boat. Have you considered that their drivers may not be at full strength becuse of covid? I cant imagine qualified drivers are held back in reserve. The council will be aware emergency vehicles will need access to any estate.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    They’ve not gritted most of the residential streets in Livingston. They’ve not come out and said they won’t be emptying bins on time and to bear with them because, surprise surprise, the bin lorries are struggling to get in and out the streets because if the conditions - use your fleet of gritters to get the streets more useable then!

we stay at the end of a street and there’s 2 inches of solid ice for about 300 yards from out house to get to slush rather than ice, which is freezing up now anyway.

and of course they’ll not touch any bagged rubbish sitting beside the bins either. WLC are a joke
    All West Lothian recycling centres are open you'll be glad to hear.

Maybe take some time off posting on this thread, grab a snow shovel and help clear your street then take your bags to the tip?!?

FYI: I'm from Livingston (Bankton if that helps your geography). I also live at the end of a cul-de-sac furthest from the main road.
    Unfortunately, as I drive for a living, I have to get out and get on with it rather than whining on a football forum. 🙄

Apologies for going off topic on a driving pet peeves thread but having read the multiple moans from the poster quoted I truly despair.

Fyii: since the introduction of wheelie bins 30 odd years ago, the bin men have never collected 'bagged rubbish' sitting besides the bin - that's your job mate-either put it in the bin or take it to the tip OR type a furious comment on a fitba fans site.....

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    All West Lothian recycling centres are open you'll be glad to hear.

Maybe take some time off posting on this thread, grab a snow shovel and help clear your street then take your bags to the tip?!?

FYI: I'm from Livingston (Bankton if that helps your geography). I also live at the end of a cul-de-sac furthest from the main road.
    Unfortunately, as I drive for a living, I have to get out and get on with it rather than whining on a football forum.

Apologies for going off topic on a driving pet peeves thread but having read the multiple moans from the poster quoted I truly despair.

Fyii: since the introduction of wheelie bins 30 odd years ago, the bin men have never collected 'bagged rubbish' sitting besides the bin - that's your job mate-either put it in the bin or take it to the tip OR type a furious comment on a fitba fans site.....
    Aha quality put down that made me laugh even if I’m not convinced it was totally deserved

There is a point though re the gritting of side streets (aside from the cost and man power required to do so)...I’m pretty sure that for the grit to work properly it needs traffic so actually there is often little point in gritting a comparatively little used cul de sac as it wouldn’t make much difference anyway.

Maybe just nonsense that I’ve mis remembered from somewhere (possibly the cooncil book of long tales and excuses )