hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 391
  1. #121
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    36
    Posts
    18,820
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Someone mentioned Sherrifhall Roundabout earlier, I will add Hermiston Gait and Newbridge to the list of roundabouts that I am incapable of going round without someone beeping at me. I don't get these roundabouts at all, how are you supposed to know what lane you are supposed to be in? I approach and check the signs and road markings and choose the correct lane, I then follow that lane round the roundabout and then suddenly the lane I'm in changes to a different road exit, how do you then get in to the correct lane? If you try to merge into the correct lane the person behind you beeps at you or the person in the lane you are trying to move to beeps at you. How does everyone else seem to know that the lane is going to change, and how come they don't get beeped at when they must have started off in the wrong lane in order to end up in the right one? I get so stressed out when I have to go round any of these big roundabouts.
    Thank the lord Iím not the only one.

    I totally get how people going in the same round about every day learn what lane to go in and how to deal with it but when itís the first time I donít know how folk do it.

    Thereís markings are on the road in most cases however it canít only be me that notices when youíre approaching these roundabouts thereís normally other cars there covering up these instructions?!

    Fully expect and prepared to be mocked for these questions but I donít care.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #122
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    51
    Posts
    17,520
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank the lord Iím not the only one.

    I totally get how people going in the same round about every day learn what lane to go in and how to deal with it but when itís the first time I donít know how folk do it.

    Thereís markings are on the road in most cases however it canít only be me that notices when youíre approaching these roundabouts thereís normally other cars there covering up these instructions?!

    Fully expect and prepared to be mocked for these questions but I donít care.
    Living in France, this is the only thing that stops my head literally () exploding on a daily basis.

    Up until the 70s/80s the French weren't that big on roundabouts - now they've gone mental with them and install them at every opportunity.

    There are 2 problems with this;

    1. Many French drivers weren't taught how to use roundabouts as they hardly existed when they learned to drive.

    2. The majority of roundabouts, especially in town, have no signs beforehand to tell you what's happening, so unless you're familiar with a specific roundabout or are using a GPS, there's absolutely no way of knowing what lane you're meant to be in.

  4. #123
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I take it you agree with the whole taxi tank thing then. 😉
    Absolutely, along with adhering to double yellow lines, clearways, and other parking/stopping restrictions.

  5. #124
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank the lord Iím not the only one.

    I totally get how people going in the same round about every day learn what lane to go in and how to deal with it but when itís the first time I donít know how folk do it.

    Thereís markings are on the road in most cases however it canít only be me that notices when youíre approaching these roundabouts thereís normally other cars there covering up these instructions?!

    Fully expect and prepared to be mocked for these questions but I donít care.
    There are signs, either overhead or at the side of the road, which tell you which lane you need to get into. These are usually well ahead of the roundabout where the road markings will confirm that you've picked the wrong one.

  6. #125
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Don’t get me started on people that stick to the 20mph limit though, that’s unforgivable.
    Surely even you must forgive those of us that HAVE to drive at the posted limits for fear of losing our jobs?!?
    As I said in a post above, I don't mind if folk pass me as I bimble along at 20 but don't get all aggro because I either choose to obey the limit or as is more the case I'm forced to obey by the in-cab spy!
    Last edited by speedy_gonzales; 20-02-2018 at 02:20 PM.

  7. #126
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    West Upper
    Age
    34
    Posts
    20,239
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thereís an awful lot of perfect drivers on this thread.

    I know this wonít go down well but Iím going to admit to it.......

    There has been occasions when approaching a roundabout that Iím not familiar with Iíve found myself in the wrong lane.

    Apologies to all concerned and to those that have been kind enough to let me in I thank you!

    Donít get me started on people that stick to the 20mph limit though, thatís unforgivable.

    Its the law.

  8. #127
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    36
    Posts
    18,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its the law.
    It was only tongue and cheek.

    It is a pain in the arse being stuck behind someone doing 20mph though and despite it being the law I doubt anything would happen if you were to get up t the dizzy heights of 25mph.

  9. #128
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    60
    Posts
    13,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its the law.
    I'll guarantee if you drive along Craigentinny Road and back once a day for a week you'd struggle to find anyone doing 20.

  10. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I take it you agree with the whole taxi tank thing then. 😉
    Don't give them tanks ffs.

    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Someone mentioned Sherrifhall Roundabout earlier, I will add Hermiston Gait and Newbridge to the list of roundabouts that I am incapable of going round without someone beeping at me. I don't get these roundabouts at all, how are you supposed to know what lane you are supposed to be in? I approach and check the signs and road markings and choose the correct lane, I then follow that lane round the roundabout and then suddenly the lane I'm in changes to a different road exit, how do you then get in to the correct lane? If you try to merge into the correct lane the person behind you beeps at you or the person in the lane you are trying to move to beeps at you. How does everyone else seem to know that the lane is going to change, and how come they don't get beeped at when they must have started off in the wrong lane in order to end up in the right one? I get so stressed out when I have to go round any of these big roundabouts.
    The correct way to get round Sheriffhall and these other roundabouts is to have already done it several times before.

  11. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Folk who block junctions by entering the cross hatched box when there is no way of getting out of it. Then when tbe lights change and they're stuck there blocking the traffic, they give you the hand gesture as if to say where I am I supposed to go. You shouldn't have entered in the first place you ****** halfwit if you couldn't exit it.
    Also, folk who don't understand the difference between a yellow box junction and the yellow paint which marks it out. Don't enter these junctions if there's no exit whether or not there's yellow paint on the road! Ditto the difference between lanes on a road and lane markings. Many roundabouts have two lanes going right round them, but no lane markings. Stick to your lane, whether it's marked on the road or not!

  12. #131
    Administrator hibee_girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lochend, Edinburgh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    15,084
    People who are impatient with learner drivers.

    I was stuck behind a learner today along seafield and while I was being a considerate driver etc the guy behind me couldnít have been more annoyed, he was right up behind me the whole time waving his arms about then just obviously lost patience and floored it to overtake me and also the learner.

  13. #132
    Testimonial Due Hibee87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    2,270
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee-87
    This is not my peeve, but one i dont understand and see increasingly moans about on social media (might be better in the peeve thread) but people who get upset when someone parks outside their house or in 'their space' when its a public street parking.

    Ive seen people on FB boast about blocking a car in ecause it was in their bit, or sending photos of a car trying to find out whos it is. Ita a punlic place so eff off and mind yer own.

    I acrually had someone come out her house to tell me to move and claimed she would key the car if i didnt move, why does this anger people so much?

  14. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is not my peeve, but one i dont understand and see increasingly moans about on social media (might be better in the peeve thread) but people who get upset when someone parks outside their house or in 'their space' when its a public street parking.

    Ive seen people on FB boast about blocking a car in ecause it was in their bit, or sending photos of a car trying to find out whos it is. Ita a punlic place so eff off and mind yer own.

    I acrually had someone come out her house to tell me to move and claimed she would key the car if i didnt move, why does this anger people so much?
    I had a flatmate who parked her car outside a house in Cramond. The owner phoned the polis and described it as "abandoned". Polis phoned the flatmate's parents in England to say her car had been abandoned. Parents on the phone to me, up to high doh, thinking their daughter was lying murdered in a ditch somewhere. Flatmate had been uncontactable in the Dunfermline College library for a couple of hours. No doubt the polis handled it badly but that house owner deserved a smack in the mooth.

  15. #134
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    40
    Posts
    35,907
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was only tongue and cheek.

    It is a pain in the arse being stuck behind someone doing 20mph though and despite it being the law I doubt anything would happen if you were to get up t the dizzy heights of 25mph.
    I bet if someone hit your kid at 25mph in a 20 zone you'd be happy to let them away with it...

  16. #135
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People who donít understand that if you arenít a taxi, youíre not supposed to stop in a taxi rank for any amount of time. It doesnít matter if youíre only popping in for a paper or picking your mum up from the station, youíre interfering with working vehicles providing public transport so stop being so selfish. 🤨

    Would you have the same attitude if it were bus stops we were talking about?
    That's what happens when one group of people think because they are driving a working vehicle they can drive like erseholes (not all of them). Folk then enjoy a bit of tit for tat retribution. Nothing better to brighten your day than the irony of a taxi driver complaining about you stopping or parking where you are not allowed to.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibby; 20-02-2018 at 07:40 PM.

  17. #136
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Car drivers who don't have the patience to sit behind lorries for sometimes as few as 1 mile, especially when the car drivers are only nipping out for a paper, fags, visit the inlaws or any other needless journey they think demands that lorry drivers should get out their way, who incidentally have to tramp the same old roads day in day out, sometimes doing 15hr shifts just to deliver the things the aforementioned car drivers have ordered and have no idea what exactly lorry drivers go through to get it to them on time. Really does my head in that.

    To be fair (and I do accept your point ), there are a lot of car drivers who are on the road for business reasons as well

  18. #137
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    36
    Posts
    18,820
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bet if someone hit your kid at 25mph in a 20 zone you'd be happy to let them away with it...
    Id certainly be asking why they were driving on the pavement, thatís for sure.

  19. #138
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    40
    Posts
    35,907
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Id certainly be asking why they were driving on the pavement, thatís for sure.
    http://hibscomebackison.blogspot.co.uk/ - Read my blog "So A Season Starts.. " - Updated TODAY 03/08/15

  20. #139
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    10,979
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People who are impatient with learner drivers.

    I was stuck behind a learner today along seafield and while I was being a considerate driver etc the guy behind me couldnít have been more annoyed, he was right up behind me the whole time waving his arms about then just obviously lost patience and floored it to overtake me and also the learner.


    My driving lessons were fairly straightforward but it never helped when you had someone impatient behind you, either trying to get you to speed up by tailgating or trying to overtake when it wasn't justified.

    We've all been there as learners, it's no big ask to give them a bit of space and patience.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  21. #140
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    10,260
    Driving is awful. It brings out the worst in people.
    I know it does in me.

  22. #141
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,786
    Drivers who just have to vent their aggression.

    I was turning right a few weeks ago at the bottom of Kaimes Road, admittedly I made a mistake and caused someone turning right into Kaimes Road to brake. We wound down windows and I held my hands up and apologised, this wasn't good enough for the other guy though who then started to abuse me, swearing, name calling etc. What's that all about? Mistakes happen,it wan't as if it was even a near collision.

  23. #142
    Talking of roundabouts, I always find the one at Cameron Toll confusing. I use it fairly regularly but always get in a mini panic about the lanes. Probably really straightforward and more of a mental block with me but I hate it.

  24. #143
    @hibs.net private member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North stand
    Posts
    16,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Drivers who just have to vent their aggression.

    I was turning right a few weeks ago at the bottom of Kaimes Road, admittedly I made a mistake and caused someone turning right into Kaimes Road to brake. We wound down windows and I held my hands up and apologised, this wasn't good enough for the other guy though who then started to abuse me, swearing, name calling etc. What's that all about? Mistakes happen,it wan't as if it was even a near collision.
    We all get a bit angry due to the depersonalisation of situations because youíre in a car but an apology like that should be the end of anything.. Sounds like a prick who probably has a scared wife.

  25. #144
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    40
    Posts
    35,907
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We all get a bit angry due to the depersonalisation of situations because youíre in a car but an apology like that should be the end of anything.. Sounds like a prick who probably has no sex life and a tiny boaby.
    Eh... Fixed that for you.
    http://hibscomebackison.blogspot.co.uk/ - Read my blog "So A Season Starts.. " - Updated TODAY 03/08/15

  26. #145
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Drivers who just have to vent their aggression.

    I was turning right a few weeks ago at the bottom of Kaimes Road, admittedly I made a mistake and caused someone turning right into Kaimes Road to brake. We wound down windows and I held my hands up and apologised, this wasn't good enough for the other guy though who then started to abuse me, swearing, name calling etc. What's that all about? Mistakes happen,it wan't as if it was even a near collision.
    That’s annoys me as well. Everyone makes wee mistakes from time to time when driving. As long as the person puts their hand up and apologises, then you just acknowledge it and move on. There’s no need for the ridiculous aggression from some people. If only they could see their screwed up red faces when they’re shouting at other road users. It’s laughable tbh.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  27. #146
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,033
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thatís annoys me as well. Everyone makes wee mistakes from time to time when driving. As long as the person puts their hand up and apologises, then you just acknowledge it and move on. Thereís no need for the ridiculous aggression from some people. If only they could see their screwed up red faces when theyíre shouting at other road users. Itís laughable tbh.

    Imagine if we all had guns

  28. #147
    3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Age
    44
    Posts
    22,525
    Blog Entries
    4
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Imagine if we all had guns
    just arm the taxi drivers.

  29. #148
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Driving is awful. It brings out the worst in people.
    I know it does in me.
    Number One Son ďCan I watch that movie, Mum?Ē
    Wife ďNo, itís got too much swearing!Ē
    Number One Son ďDonít worry, I know all the swear words already!Ē
    Wife ď How do you know all the swear words?Ē
    Number One Son ďFrom Daddy. In the car!Ē

  30. #149
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,033
    Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    just arm the taxi drivers.
    Over here most of them are already.

  31. #150
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    61
    Posts
    9,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Number One Son ďCan I watch that movie, Mum?Ē
    Wife ďNo, itís got too much swearing!Ē
    Number One Son ďDonít worry, I know all the swear words already!Ē
    Wife ď How do you know all the swear words?Ē
    Number One Son ďFrom Daddy. In the car!Ē
    Just so I can laugh appropriately how old is Number One Son?
    Space to let

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved