Page 14 of 114 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why their cars have mirrors.
    And a nice wee courtesy light,,,,

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Drivers with no slip road etiquette or ability to anticipate. Driving west and picking up speed, from the Hermiston Gate roundabout in the inside lane with a car about 30 yards, if that, in front of me and no cars behind, two or three cars in the outside lane about to overtake me and the slip road to my left, apparently, empty. Out of nowhere, at a rate of knots, a car steams up the slip road, past me and jumps into the space in front of me and has to brake hard to avoid the car in front. With nowhere to go, I’ve got to brake violently to avoid going into the back of Lewis Hamilton. To add insult to injury, within a second or two, he accelerates and sidles into the outside lane, causing the drivers in that lane to also slam on the anchors. No signals at any point from the muppet. Fortunately everybody reacts well and the incident is over in seconds with Lewis disappearing into the sunset, with a huge grin on his face, I’m sure. I hope, when he has his next accident, he performs a crazy manoeuvre which doesn’t involve any other road users.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Aggressive drivers, especially when they're in the wrong.
    Had a driver that squeezed me out of the lane I was in as we advanced from a light controlled junction.
    I was in lane one, she was in lane two and as we crossed the junction she started drifting left causing me to brake. She then had the temerity to lean on the horn and gesticulate in her rear view mirror. As it was we ended up parking next to each other at a retail park and I asked why she hit the horn (there was no need as I had already let her in and I hadn't reacted to her poor driving) and she said I was in the wrong lane!
    I did stifle a laugh as both our lanes were for straight on and when I explained this she turned on her heels and she said "oh well, I beg to differ" with an air of entitlement,,,,

Some folks need to either drive with their eyes wide open or leave the car and take the bus!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Aggressive drivers, especially when they're in the wrong.
    Had a driver that squeezed me out of the lane I was in as we advanced from a light controlled junction.
    I was in lane one, she was in lane two and as we crossed the junction she started drifting left causing me to brake. She then had the temerity to lean on the horn and gesticulate in her rear view mirror. As it was we ended up parking next to each other at a retail park and I asked why she hit the horn (there was no need as I had already let her in and I hadn't reacted to her poor driving) and she said I was in the wrong lane!
    I did stifle a laugh as both our lanes were for straight on and when I explained this she turned on her heels and she said "oh well, I beg to differ" with an air of entitlement,,,,

Some folks need to either drive with their eyes wide open or leave the car and take the bus!

Some folk cant accept they’re in the wrong.

i was with my wife, parking in a retail park. As I get out the drivers door, this woman marches up and says ‘did you just hit my car with your door?’
    I reply ‘no I didnt’, to which she then demands, are you sure?
    ‘Yes I am.’
    she continues to get more aggressive, says ‘it’s really annoying when people hit your car’
    I’m getting more pissed off now, and reply ‘yes I know, that’s why I didn’t hit yours!’
    She then starts to inspect her car, I start to walk away, then she says ‘think yourself lucky!’
    im now getting really angry, and ask her ‘why should I think myself lucky, I’m didn’t hit your car or any others, and nor am I standing ranting at someone in a car park for NOT damaging another car’
    she replies ‘I don’t like it when people damage my car’. I’ve had enough by this time, and tell her ‘I don’t like it when busybodies who don’t know what they’re talking about accuse me of something that’s clearly not happened, but there you go’

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I was in the wrong going up Easter Road to the Aberdeen Game and accidently blocked the exit to the new Lidl car park as i misjudged the traffic flow, i mouthed sorry with a wave to the guy wanting out but that didnt stop his wife/girlfriend calling me ever name under the sun. I was only stopped for a bout 30 seconds before moving off again ffs.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    A decent dash cam is worth investing in. If you get any idiots who try and play silly buggers then you just point out the camera and they tend to back down.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    I was in the wrong going up Easter Road to the Aberdeen Game and accidently blocked the exit to the new Lidl car park as i misjudged the traffic flow, i mouthed sorry with a wave to the guy wanting out but that didnt stop his wife/girlfriend calling me ever name under the sun. I was only stopped for a bout 30 seconds before moving off again ffs.
    Ive done it myself as its easy to misjudge/forget its opened.

I had a great experience a few weeks ago coming down Dickson street (if your not familiar with the road it can get quite narrow in the middle depending whats parked) I was literally half way down the street and a car turned to come up from Iona street. Now its clear to the other driver its a bit of a narrow road so he should wait but he proceeded to fly up the road towards me, squeezed his car past (I had to squeeze to the left to allow him past) and he started going proper mental with the hand gestures, face was literally purple with rage. I wound my window down as we were both side by side to say somthing but before I got a word in all he yelled was EFF YOU at top of his voice before speeding away. Unless the guy had the worst day of his life at work/he caught his wife ****ging the neighbour, ive no idea why he got so angry when really, I was the one entitled to be more annoyed.
    I blasted my horn in anger (a bit longer than was needed) when he sped up the road and I did notice him stop his car and get out, I really wish I circled back to see what he had to say!

The stretch of road between the Jewel roundabout and Granada services roundabout slip road is a 50mph stretch of road and its 50 for a reason. I always do 50mph when travelling on this and yet you see some drivers absolutely flying along. I could upload daily dash cam footage of this. Annoys the hell out of me that folk fly along here.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    The stretch of road between the Jewel roundabout and Granada services roundabout slip road is a 50mph stretch of road and its 50 for a reason. I always do 50mph when travelling on this and yet you see some drivers absolutely flying along. I could upload daily dash cam footage of this. Annoys the hell out of me that folk fly along here.

I have noticed this regularly. It is disconcerting that people drive at that speed knowing there is a very busy on ramp from Newcraighall.

The number of near misses there is unbelievable.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Driving on Leith Walk regularly winds me up. They’ve changed the road markings at Albert Street going up the way, and Macdonald Rosd driving down the way so that the right hand lane in only for people turning right. Every single time I drive through those lights, if there is not someone in the lane waiting to turn right, some ******** will drive thorough when they’re heading straight on. Both junctions require the people in the correct lane to move into the right hand lane when they cross it, either because of parked cars or building works. The people starting n the correct lane usually have to give way to the ****er that’s just skipped a long line of traffic to avoid an accident.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    It's ridiculous there, nobody observes the limit and you frequently see people going above 70, never mind 50.

Same with Queensferry Road northbound after Miller and Carter, it's a 40 for a good stretch of that road and you see people hitting double that regularly.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    Driving on Leith Walk regularly winds me up. They’ve changed the road markings at Albert Street going up the way, and Macdonald Rosd driving down the way so that the right hand lane in only for people turning right. Every single time I drive through those lights, if there is not someone in the lane waiting to turn right, some ******** will drive thorough when they’re heading straight on. Both junctions require the people in the correct lane to move into the right hand lane when they cross it, either because of parked cars or building works. The people starting n the correct lane usually have to give way to the ****er that’s just skipped a long line of traffic to avoid an accident.
    It's unbelievable the McDonald road turn. I drive down it almost daily and not once have a seen people use the correct lane. I know it used to be the other way,
    So at first I gave the benefit of doubt. But now it's just deliberately ignoring the change. I've seen many near misses there

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It's ridiculous there, nobody observes the limit and you frequently see people going above 70, never mind 50.

Same with Queensferry Road northbound after Miller and Carter, it's a 40 for a good stretch of that road and you see people hitting double that regularly.

Yeah its a 40 until well after the Kirkliston turn off yet folk fly up there like Hartley Hare! The gantries on approach to the new crossing have new cameras on them as well, part of this smart motorway thing. They do work, I've seen the flash motorists when the variable speed limit is in operation. Folk don't see to give a toss.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    I have noticed this regularly. It is disconcerting that people drive at that speed knowing there is a very busy on ramp from Newcraighall.

The number of near misses there is unbelievable.

There was a bad accident there the other week heading out of Edinburgh, at least one car ended up in the field after going down the embankment. Not sure of the cause of the smash but the road was shut from the Jewel to the Granada services for several hours in the morning rush.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    It's unbelievable the McDonald road turn. I drive down it almost daily and not once have a seen people use the correct lane. I know it used to be the other way,
    So at first I gave the benefit of doubt. But now it's just deliberately ignoring the change. I've seen many near misses there
    Literally every time I’ve been at that junction I’d say the majority of the cars in the right hand lane are going straight. I refuse to believe it’s the first time any of these folk have been at that junction since the change. Especially the taxi drivers, the majority of which still use the right hand lane to go straight on in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Literally every time I’ve been at that junction I’d say the majority of the cars in the right hand lane are going straight. I refuse to believe it’s the first time any of these folk have been at that junction since the change. Especially the taxi drivers, the majority of which still use the right hand lane to go straight on in my experience.
    Following on from this, drove this junction twice yesterday towards the fit of the walk and had 2 taxi drivers and a la fav car in the wrong lane the first time and then 2 la fav cars the second time. All people that will have driven that junction 10s if not 100s of times since it’s been redone.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Following on from this, drove this junction twice yesterday towards the fit of the walk and had 2 taxi drivers and a la fav car in the wrong lane the first time and then 2 la fav cars the second time. All people that will have driven that junction 10s if not 100s of times since it’s been redone.
    Agreed, also think it’s badly thought out and there is no need for a right turn only lane there.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

After reading about that crash on the M4 i wish they would think seriously about retesting older people. Thats 4 people that could still be alive and that old couple in their 80s that caused the crash were just coming back from a holiday. Its not a nice thing to think about but lives are at stake just with anyone driving.

@hibs.net private member
    After reading about that crash on the M4 i wish they would think seriously about retesting older people. Thats 4 people that could still be alive and that old couple in their 80s that caused the crash were just coming back from a holiday. Its not a nice thing to think about but lives are at stake just with anyone driving.
    It should definitely be done - I watched a programme last year (I think it was called 100 year old driving school) and the habits were atrocious - driving down the wrong side of the road so they get a better view etc.

It doesn’t have to be a full test like when you’re 17 but a check in how they handle the car etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Agreed, also think it’s badly thought out and there is no need for a right turn only lane there.
    Aye, it was fine the way it was.

Had an incident with an old guy a couple of weeks ago. I had reversed about 90% out of my space when I seen his car coming towards me as he started to reverse. I blasted the horn several times but still he came. I had time to get out of my van , see him still trying to reverse as he was up against my van, wheels spinning on the tarmac.
    Eventually the penny dropped and he got out and said " Oh we mustn't have seen each other"

I could only laugh. Thankfully nobody was hurt and my van had no damage. His car was dented and scratched.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    It should definitely be done - I watched a programme last year (I think it was called 100 year old driving school) and the habits were atrocious - driving down the wrong side of the road so they get a better view etc.

It doesn’t have to be a full test like when you’re 17 but a check in how they handle the car etc.
    Yeah 30 mins to an hour with an instructor or something g to ensure they are still capable would be a nice way of handling it imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Had an incident with an old guy a couple of weeks ago. I had reversed about 90% out of my space when I seen his car coming towards me as he started to reverse. I blasted the horn several times but still he came. I had time to get out of my van , see him still trying to reverse as he was up against my van, wheels spinning on the tarmac.
    Eventually the penny dropped and he got out and said " Oh we mustn't have seen each other"

I could only laugh. Thankfully nobody was hurt and my van had no damage. His car was dented and scratched.
    That's pretty bad. I feel bad for them as they are supposed to be allowed to go out and enjoy their retirement without worry but some of them are a real danger and it would be sad to have that freedom taken away from them.

Devils Advocate here, I don't necessarily disagree with you.

However if the elderly are to be retested because of an increase in accidents they're involved in maybe young people shouldn't be allowed to drive until well into their 20s when statistically they are less likely to be involved in carnage!!

Also

Perhaps there should be a limit on the number of tests potential drivers are allowed to take. Even on a second test these drivers have only proven to be competent half the time ;-)
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post

Shame we can't extend that to all motorists.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Shame we can't extend that to all motorists.
    You could be on to something, millions to be made in a re-testing industry.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

However if the elderly are to be retested because of an increase in accidents they're involved in maybe young people shouldn't be allowed to drive until well into their 20s when statistically they are less likely to be involved in carnage!!

Also

Perhaps there should be a limit on the number of tests potential drivers are allowed to take. Even on a second test these drivers have only proven to be competent half the time ;-)
    Good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Also

Is that because they've gained experience or are they just not ready to drive when teenagers?
    Last edited by Killiehibbie; 19-10-2018 at 10:55 AM.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I've started to get irrationally annoyed at people not paying attention when i am trying to let them out.

Why people don't pay attention both ways when trying to turn right onto a busy road baffles me. Happened this morning going up Easter Road, someone was coming out of Brunswick road and wanting to turn right but she just kept looking up the way, even though there was nothing coming down the road?! Ended up having to give her a wee toot of the horn to get her to wake up.

Dare say pressing my horn will get me on someone elses pet peeve list but i don't care

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Folk who jump red lights. Just ****ing stop, FFS.

Roundabouts with traffic lights are the worst for this, but also any roadworks where there are temporary lights to control the traffic you get at least 1 but often 4 or 5 cars that will follow the traffic through long after the red light's come on, meaning the waiting traffic can't get moving.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Is that because they've gained experience or are they just not ready to drive when teenagers?
    Good point.

I'd counter though and say that although insurance costs reduce after the first year of driving, whatever age, I don't think they reduce substantially until a driver is over 25, whatever their experience.

I'm using insurance costs as it's they have all the stats and they load the premiums of those most likely to have an accident.
    Space to let