hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 115 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That’s what happened to me few weeks ago, no one would let him in so I leant on my horn for what seemed like ages but still he wouldn’t shift and continued to block the whole left lane until he finally got in. As I then drew level he had the audacity to open his passenger window to shout abuse at me. Ersehole of the highest order,
    Obviously people can make mistakes, visitors might not be familiar with the road layout, but I'm fairly sure we can all put money on this guy being a chancer,,,,a chancer that deserves to be mocked. Never one to advocate violence so I sometimes find that when another driver gets their BP above healthy levels and starts giving verbals, I find a blown kids and a cheeky wave (Julian Clary style) really confuses them and ends up ruining their day more than yours.

CAVEAT: this generally only works when the other driver is the same sex as you!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Driving drives people mental.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Every ****ing morning.

I'm sure there's an element of confirmation bias but it always seems to be people driving the same 2 or 3 brands of car that I get stuck behind as well.
    Surely that's right though - if you've paid more for your car then other people should be expected to give way to you?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Surely that's right though - if you've paid more for your car then other people should be expected to give way to you?
    I used to love it when I was driving my old car. It was an old mondeo and if anyone ever tried to cut me up I just kept driving straight on. People with expensive cars tend to want to keep them in a good condition. I do the same in the taxi

United we stand here....

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I used to love it when I was driving my old car. It was an old mondeo and if anyone ever tried to cut me up I just kept driving straight on. People with expensive cars tend to want to keep them in a good condition. I do the same in the taxi
    Most taxi drivers do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Most taxi drivers do.
    We try our best

United we stand here....

Doing 136 on the Autobahn with nothing in your lane in front of you when a lorry doing 60 pulls out 100m in front to overtake another lorry. Squeaky bum time and a change of underwear in order.

Doing 136 on the Autobahn with nothing in your lane in front of you when a lorry doing 60 pulls out 100m in front to overtake another lorry. Squeaky bum time and a change of underwear in order.
    You should try it over here. The police get right humpty and you make the papers! lol

I bought a second hand BMW 7 Series in England a few moons ago. What a pleasure it was driving it home.

I got to Abington, slowed down and moved out the BMW lane to join the mortals. There was a lorry there but like me it wasn't indicating as we passed the 100 metre mark and then it had the audacity to go up the slip road too! I floored it and before I knew where I was I'd flown past it doing well over a ton with the roundabout approaching much quicker than I had anticipated.

That's when I discovered the brakes on the beast were every bit as good as the acceleration!

Awesome and then some!

It wasn't long after that I became old and smug. Knowing I could but didn't have to show off.
    Space to let

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    M8 into Glasgow, junction 12...it's a long slip road that eventually comes off the M8 heading to Stepps. Every morning, when the traffic backs up to their, the amount of idiots who come out the inside lane, fire up the slip and then try and merge over again at the end is infuriating. Those that drive it every morning are clear, as they're militant at not letting anyone in from the left.

It also forces people genuinely trying to use the slip to wait for them to merge, or swerve around them into the hard shoulder (as often those trying to merge will just stop suddenly and throw their indicator on).

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Was driving behind a woman who indicated right rather than left to come off three different roundabouts. Not sure if she just thinks that’s the way to indicate or if she thinks her indicators are the other way round. Either way, she’ll be in an accident soon enough I’d suspect.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Cyclists on the road when there is a cycling path adjacent to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    And?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Cyclists who blatantly ignore red lights, they never seem to post that footage from their head cams though.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    And?
    And it slows down traffic and it increases the likelihood of someone getting hurt.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Drivers that don't move out to pass cyclists and pedestrians on roads with no footpaths. Morons the lot of them.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

And it slows down traffic and it increases the likelihood of someone getting hurt.
    There will be a reason that cyclists don't use cycle paths, they are perfectly entitled (without license) to use the road if they choose.
    Cyclists ARE traffic.
    If road users are aware, and drive to the law, then nobody gets hurt.

When I used to cycle to work, I'd avoid the cycle path that goes through Holyrood Park. For two reasons, it was on the wrong side of the road and due to pedestrians, I made much better progress on the road. Progress is what it's all about, right?

There will be a reason that cyclists don't use cycle paths, they are perfectly entitled (without license) to use the road if they choose.
    Cyclists ARE traffic.

When I used to cycle to work, I'd avoid the cycle path that goes through Holyrood Park. For two reasons, it was on the wrong side of the road and due to pedestrians, I made much better progress on the road. Progress is what it's all about, right?
    I'm perfectly aware of why they stay on the road. It's quicker for them going through roundabouts than waiting at pedestrians crossings.

Selfish and an unnecessary hazard but it suits them until anything bad happens...

I'm perfectly aware of why they stay on the road. It's quicker for them going through roundabouts than waiting at pedestrians crossings.

Selfish and an unnecessary hazard but it suits them until anything bad happens...
    I'm honestly not understanding your "selfish" and "unnecessary hazard" comment.
    A cyclist has every right to be on a road, regardless of lane provision. If there's a convenience factor then that is not being selfish, convenience is why we drive cars, is that selfish?

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    I generally try to keep traffic moving and let people merge in as much as I can but not so much that I end up going backwards, but this particular stretch of road and expected behaviour riles me to the point where I become a bit militant and wish for everyone in lane 2 to drive a fag papers distance from the car in front and for any poor sucker being held up in lane 1 to lean on their horn until the queue jumper is shamed in to carrying on towards Milton Road!
    I hate this stretch of road and drive pretty defensively there to stop queue jumpers in the left hand lane jumping in.

Indicating right to go straight on at a roundabout drive me nuts too.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Agreed...

Don't get me wrong, as a cyclyist sometimes it makes a lot more sense sometimes... but when I do that, I'm extra aware that I might be slowing other traffic down so make more of an effort to be easy to overtake etc.. unfortunately some cyclists don't give a ..... hence the reason we all get tarred with the same brush.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Just read the following posts... i rest my case lol :-)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar

@hibs.net private member
    Non-cyclists saying that cyclists should “pay road tax” if they want to use the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Non-cyclists saying that cyclists should “pay road tax” if they want to use the road.
    Why not. The roads are infrastructure made available by the road tax payers. Why should cyclists be exempt from that?

Why not. The roads are infrastructure made available by the road tax payers. Why should cyclists be exempt from that?
    Over here, roads are paid for through general taxation, there's no such thing as "road tax".
    Under current taxation rules, cyclists would pay the same VED as electric cars and low emission cars,,,,£0.

I walk along the Innocent Railway to work a couple of times a week. There are several signs indicating this is a shared path for cyclists and pedestrians to respect other users.

SOME of the cyclists behave in exactly the way the cycle lobby complain about car drivers treating them on shared roads. They pass pedestrians at ridiculous speed, pass closely and make no effort to share space. I've often heard a bell, turned to see some dick on a mountain bike not really suitable for such a path about 3 yards behind me racing right up the middle whilst walkers have to step right into the assorted nettles and weeds at the side of the path to get out the way.

I think all the arguments about big cars, fast cars, cyclists etc are disguising that some peoples mentality is to become little more than a bully when they are in the dominant position.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    They should have tiny number plates front and back - and preferably lit up so we can see them coming towards us on the pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I walk along the Innocent Railway to work a couple of times a week. There are several signs indicating this is a shared path for cyclists and pedestrians to respect other users.

SOME of the cyclists behave in exactly the way the cycle lobby complain about car drivers treating them on shared roads. They pass pedestrians at ridiculous speed, pass closely and make no effort to share space. I've often heard a bell, turned to see some dick on a mountain bike not really suitable for such a path about 3 yards behind me racing right up the middle whilst walkers have to step right into the assorted nettles and weeds at the side of the path to get out the way.

I think all the arguments about big cars, fast cars, cyclists etc are disguising that some peoples mentality is to become little more than a bully when they are in the dominant position.
    That’s definitely true about the innocent railway. Now and again I cycle along there with my daughter. Obviously we’re not going very fast and we keep to the side, but some cyclists charge along there like idiots. I fell of my bike one time when a couple of them overtook us really quickly. My daughter panicked and as I tried to hold her steady I fell off. There must be a few accidents along there in the summer as there’s so many people out walking their dogs.

United we stand here....

First Team Breakthrough
    Cyclists ARE traffic.

Me too- the cycle path at the Meadowbank end near the loch is just used as a pavement. Plus according to Strava I’m averaging 23-25mph going through the park so pretty much keeping up with traffic. I do use the cycle path going up the hill because it’s relatively quiet and better for me and other road users than grinding my way uphill with a queue of cars up my chuff! I’m probably guilty of whooshing along the Innocent too but not at the expense of putting myself or other users at risk

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Low emission cars here are exempt from road tax so bikes should definitely be exempt.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net