hibs.net Messageboard

Page 106 of 115 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,180 of 3436
    When you are driving behind a learner so give them a bit extra space and some self important muppet drives right up your erse.

Where are you going? It's a busy street in a city, even if you get past me you are just going to meet another car 10 yards down the road and if you get past them then same again.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came across similar behaviour myself over the last few weeks driving back from Cambridge & Oldham. I tend to utilise cruise control when the roads are quiet, sitting at a constant speed but for my own amusement I'd overtake the middle lane guy, pull to nearside, ease off, let them pass then repeat. Three lasso's was my PB before the driver realised what was going on. Naughty and immature I know, but how else you gonna break up the long drive?!?
    I honestly thought the middle laner had been shamed and had all but disappeared but I drove to London and back earlier in the year and couldn't believe how many there still were. One of them got what looked like half a takeaway lobbed at them from a white van passenger!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I honestly thought the middle laner had been shamed and had all but disappeared but I drove to London and back earlier in the year and couldn't believe how many there still were. One of them got what looked like half a takeaway lobbed at them from a white van passenger!
    The last time I drove on the M6 heading back from Liverpool a few years ago I came across a middle lane hogger on an almost deserted stretch of the motorway. It was wrong of me I know but I sat behind them for about two miles flashing my lights every minute or so, they never flinched. When I eventually passed the driver who looked like she was gripping the steering wheel tightly with both hands and staring straight ahead line in a trance, I seriously think she didn’t even know I was behind her!

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    I'm confident it's been mentioned in this thread before, but I've noticed a resurgence in P-poor signalling on roundabouts. Over the last few days I've noticed quite a few cars indicate right but then go straight on. A lot of this has been on Calder Rd, East-West, so basically they're in the left hand lane, I'm in the right, I see them indicating right so hold back and they end up going straight on.
    Unsure where this behaviour is coming from but I did notice that nearly all the drivers were young Asians. Is this something that might be practiced in other countries (carefully assuming it has been learned elsewhere)?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I'm confident it's been mentioned in this thread before, but I've noticed a resurgence in P-poor signalling on roundabouts. Over the last few days I've noticed quite a few cars indicate right but then go straight on. A lot of this has been on Calder Rd, East-West, so basically they're in the left hand lane, I'm in the right, I see them indicating right so hold back and they end up going straight on.
    Unsure where this behaviour is coming from but I did notice that nearly all the drivers were young Asians. Is this something that might be practiced in other countries (carefully assuming it has been learned elsewhere)?
    I used to think it was a woman thing (sorry). Wifie I car shared with used to indicate right then left at every mini roundabout when going straight on. Drove me nuts.

@hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar
    This practice is being taught by a lot of driving instructors currently. It was never something that I used as, if you were going straight ahead then you didn’t signal at all, only do it when you were passing the previous exit from the roundabout and intending to exit at the next junction.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    This practice is being taught by a lot of driving instructors currently. It was never something that I used as, if you were going straight ahead then you didn’t signal at all, only do it when you were passing the previous exit from the roundabout and intending to exit at the next junction.
    Really? Presumably the logic is 'signalling right means I'm not leaving at this exit', but I'm surprised that driving instructors teach something that contradicts the Highway Code:

"Rule 186

Signals and position. When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    - signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
    - keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    - signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
    - keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
    - signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    - select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
    - you should not normally need to signal on approach
    - stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    - signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want."

Foreign tourists in hire cars, end off.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Foreign tourists in hire cars, end off.
    Haha! Then I remember what I'm like in a hire car on holiday abroad.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    People that park on corners. There's a section in my street that has got ridiculous with multiple cars parked round two corners that are opposite each other. I've had a couple of near misses as it is impossible to see if anything is coming in the opposite direction.

It wasn't an issue when we first moved in two years ago but is now because one house got sold and the new people refuse to park in their drive for some reason and have two cars and another house have had multiple works done to their house (garage conversion, back extension and a seemingly never ending landscaping work to their back garden) which has meant a skip has been in their drive for over a year.
    Right own up, who on here lives in my street? The 'refuse to park in their driveway' folk have stopped doing this since I posted this.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    That's how it's done in Germany.

Rude bus drivers,I know it must be a difficult job with daft passengers, pedestrians and other road users but they should not tar everybody with the same brush.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I'd probably have to confess to being a bit of a middle lane hogger at times. Not if it's completely empty but if I'm going faster than something that I can see up ahead I'm not going to pull in and out again when someone behind me can just use the third lane to go past me if they're driving quicker.

It usually ends up that on a relatively normal stretch of road I can see a spread of slower moving vehicles down the left, myself and other faster movers in the middle, and then those going 80/90+ on the right.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    When you are driving behind a learner so give them a bit extra space and some self important muppet drives right up your erse.

Where are you going? It's a busy street in a city, even if you get past me you are just going to meet another car 10 yards down the road and if you get past them then same again.
    On a similar theme. Was cycling to collect my daughter from pre school last night. Was a hill I had to cycle up to the cross roads. Was near the top and the light was red. A car whizzed passed me to make up 20 yards before stopping behind a car at the red light that had been waiting there the whole time. I just looked at them as I passed and into the bicycle box. No issue with cars over taking cyclists, just can’t work out the point in speeding up to overtake so the can get to a red light and be second in the queue 5 seconds quicker.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    On a similar theme. Was cycling to collect my daughter from pre school last night. Was a hill I had to cycle up to the cross roads. Was near the top and the light was red. A car whizzed passed me to make up 20 yards before stopping behind a car at the red light that had been waiting there the whole time. I just looked at them as I passed and into the bicycle box. No issue with cars over taking cyclists, just can’t work out the point in speeding up to overtake so the can get to a red light and be second in the queue 5 seconds quicker.
    This is known as MGIF (must get in front) in cycling circles.

@hibs.net private member
    Brummies. That's all.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    This is known as MGIF (must get in front) in cycling circles.
    Lanark road between Juniper Green & Balerno is really bad for it. I mainly notice it when driving, but the amount of cars that overtake cyclists when it’s not safe to do so is crazy. Like they can’t wait another 15 seconds to get round the bend and confirm it’s safe to overtake so they just gamble that there’s nothing oncoming.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Lanark road between Juniper Green & Balerno is really bad for it. I mainly notice it when driving, but the amount of cars that overtake cyclists when it’s not safe to do so is crazy. Like they can’t wait another 15 seconds to get round the bend and confirm it’s safe to overtake so they just gamble that there’s nothing oncoming.

often, and I mean often, come across drivers who even on a straight road, seem to think they shouldn’t need to wait until there’s no oncoming traffic to pass, and will casually move out a bit, and go past the cyclist, and seemingly expect oncoming traffic to just move over a bit for them, whether there’s room or not

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Not sure if I've mentioned this before but drivers who sit just under 70 on the motorway into the moment you pull out to pass them, at which point the ***** decide they're Lewis Hamilton so you either have to pull in behind them again or speed up ridiculously to pass them.

What goes through their head?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Not sure if I've mentioned this before but drivers who sit just under 70 on the motorway into the moment you pull out to pass them, at which point the ***** decide they're Lewis Hamilton so you either have to pull in behind them again or speed up ridiculously to pass them.

Fresh air. That's the only thing that goes through their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

wonder if they’re the same people who can’t maintain a consistent speed on the motorway. You’re travelling along at 70, overtake a slower moving car. A few miles later, the same car goes shooting past, whilst you’re still doing 70. Another few miles, you overtake them again, whilst still travelling at 70.

Arrived in the UK yesterday morning for the first time since Covid and the state of the roads is abominable. I can remember them being not particularly great but the trip from Dover to Blandford was akin to driving on farm roads. I'm not really surprised at the amount of shredded tyres at the side of the road because some of the potholes on the motorway were like moon craters, real tyre killers.

Anyone travelling without a satnav would also have trouble finding their way around because most of the road signs were overgrown and unreadable. It feels like Highways England have just given up trying to maintain the roads.

Two in one this morning. Poor lane discipline and tourists driving causing havoc.

I was turning right from Lothian Rd onto the West Approach Rd. There's two lanes for turning right and I went in the right hand one as everybody was in the left of the two lanes and the lights were just changing to green.

The car that had been second from the front in the left lane just veers as far possible over to the right into my lane right in front of me as he's turning. He then drives for a stretch over two lanes, goes back into the left of the two lanes he was driving over and I go to pass him (he was also driving at about 10mph)and he starts veering over into my lane again. No indicators. Clearly didn't see me, so hadn't checked his mirrors. I have to basically do an emergency stop because of this. I beep my horn but he's oblivious to this and continues over the two lanes until we get to the lights at Morrison Link, presumably when he saw cars in both lanes.

When I managed to pass him (crapping myself whilst doing so as I didn't know WTF he was going to do next), I had a look and it looked like they were tourists.

Tourists aside, there seems to be loads of people who struggle when there is more than one lane for turning right. I live in South Gyle and have a few instances of that kind of road layout around here and there's always folk veering into the wrong lane. Usually it is the opposite of the above with folk all going in the right hand lane and then going as far left as possible when turning. In fact someone did this later on in my journey when turning onto S Gyle Access from Bankhead Drive but luckily I was behind him in the same lane rather being in the lane he was veering into.
    Last edited by overdrive; 31-07-2023 at 09:48 AM.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Two in one this morning. Poor lane discipline and tourists driving causing havoc.

I was turning right from Lothian Rd onto the West Approach Rd. There's two lanes for turning right and I went in the right hand one as everybody was in the left of the two lanes and the lights were just changing to green.

The car that had been second from the front in the left lane just veers as far possible over to the right into my lane right in front of me as he's turning. He then drives for a stretch over two lanes, goes back into the left of the two lanes he was driving over and I go to pass him (he was also driving at about 10mph)and he starts veering over into my lane again. No indicators. Clearly didn't see me, so hadn't checked his mirrors. I have to basically do an emergency stop because of this. I beep my horn but he's oblivious to this and continues over the two lanes until we get to the lights at Morrison Link, presumably when he saw cars in both lanes.

When I managed to pass him (crapping myself whilst doing so as I didn't know WTF he was going to do next), I had a look and it looked like they were tourists.

Tourists aside, there seems to be loads of people who struggle when there is more than one lane for turning right. I live in South Gyle and have a few instances of that kind of road layout around here and there's always folk veering into the wrong lane. Usually it is the opposite of the above with folk all going in the right hand lane and then going as far left as possible when turning. In fact someone did this later on in my journey when turning onto S Gyle Access from Bankhead Drive but luckily I was behind him in the same lane rather being in the lane he was veering into.
    The fadedInvisible Lane markings in that junction on the Western don't help. I had a single decker bus try and join me in the Right hand lane recently. Thought the buses would be familiar by now, but no....

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Welcome to my world of driving a taxi, every day avoiding bloody tourists and crappy drivers.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Was driving behind what I’m assuming was a tourist tonight up Broughton Street. They were crawling up it so probably not sure if where they were going.

They missed the turn off for the street they wanted so just starting reversing down the street!

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Was driving behind what I’m assuming was a tourist tonight up Broughton Street. They were crawling up it so probably not sure if where they were going.

They missed the turn off for the street they wanted so just starting reversing down the street!
    Working today there was a car coming the wrong way down Torphichen St trying to turn left at Torphichen Pl, also a guy in a big 4x4 coming down the wrong way at Magdala at Haymarket, tis the season of the eejit drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post

Talking of reversing, we were at the cinema at Fountain Park at the weekend. The folk in the car in front at the barrier to get out the car park hadn’t validated their parking ticket so couldn’t get out. After trying to use their debit card in the machine which obviously didn’t work either, they just just started reversing towards us expecting us, and the entire queue of about 10 cars behind us to do the same. We didn’t. The passenger then got out and asked us what they were doing wrong. So we told them they should have either validated the ticket wherever they were visiting or paid at the ticket machine with us pointing to the nearest one. Instead of doing the non-dickish thing and just going and paying since they were holding up loads of cars by this point, she went back into the building to wherever they had been to validate the ticket.

Not a driving pet peeve as such but has anyone else seen a big hike in their car insurance this year?

Got my renewal quote today and it's about £160 up on last year. Had a look at the usual comparison sites and a few places direct and not finding much cheaper. Still the same car, no claims in the last year so no claims in unaffected, no new drivers added etc etc.

Bit of a pain in the erse.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Petrol stations that haven't thought about how caravans or trailers actually get back out once they've filled up. I've had to reverse out from the car pumps twice after filling up because there's not enough room to drive out forwards if you're driving anything bigger than a minibus.