hibs.net Messageboard

Page 101 of 115 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 3436
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I was in Berlin traffic lights seemed to be optional to drivers, especially taxis, every time we were crossing a busy street on the green man someone would almost run us over usually turning into the Main Street from a side street.
    Your probably talking about junctions where there's a little painted green arrow for right turns. It's one of the few things that was integrated from East German traffic laws into German traffic laws. It basically means vehicles can turn right at junctions when the road is clear, even with a red light and needs to be treated like a stop sign.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Your probably talking about junctions where there's a little painted green arrow for right turns. It's one of the few things that was integrated from East German traffic laws into German traffic laws. It basically means vehicles can turn right at junctions when the road is clear, even with a red light and needs to be treated like a stop sign.
    Common in other countries too and works well as long as care is taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post

They have that in New York but they can only turn if it's safe to do so, some of the drivers take the pee and expect you to move out the way for them, I had a big argument with a cabbie over there for doing it, nearly hit me.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Pedestrians not crossing at crossings:
    You really shouldn't cross the road between cars, even if they are stationary.
    True story, I know a guy that crossed two lanes of stationary vehicles at Gt. Junction Street., Half way over he blacked out and came to at the bus stop across the road, turns out he was so focused at looking for motorbikes & cyclists filtering through that he failed to notice that the car to the left of him was towing the car to the right of him.
    He stacked it right over the tow rope, got a ridder and a broken pair of specs for his troubles!

Blog Entries
    I picked up folk from Edinburgh Airport this afternoon. The usual pick up point was closed and replaced by a temporary one in one of the outer car parks. It was a bit of a shambles. You could see that quite a few folk were confused, particularly with the lack of clear and useful signage. £4 for up to 15 minutes and £9 for up to 30 minutes added insult to injury.

@hibs.net private member
    Having just posted it on another thread, I want to rant here too.

Private parking companies DO NOT issue fines. They send invoices, which can be totally ignored in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    Having just posted it on another thread, I want to rant here too.

Private parking companies DO NOT issue fines. They send invoices, which can be totally ignored in Scotland.
    Be mindful that they absolutely can be chased up through the court system in Scotland. It would take a bit of effort on behalf of the land owner/issuer and they'd need the appetite to do so, but it does and can happen.

I wouldn't worry about an individual ticket though, t would need a few to make it worth there while.

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Be mindful that they absolutely can be chased up through the court system in Scotland. It would take a bit of effort on behalf of the land owner/issuer and they'd need the appetite to do so, but it does and can happen.

I wouldn't worry about an individual ticket though, t would need a few to make it worth their while.
    It can also affect your credit rating if you ignore these demands..

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c31 View Post
    It can also affect your credit rating if you ignore these demands..
    No expert but I don’t think that’s accurate.

Unless you have a court judgement against you, which in Scotland is highly unlikely.

@hibs.net private member

I wouldn't worry about an individual ticket though, t would need a few to make it worth there while.
    They can if they know who the driver is. Therefore, ignoring them stops them from identifying the driver.

The ****ty ****ers who have trashed my wee 50cc scooter today for no reason.

Stolen from George Street in broad day light and abandoned 5 minutes walk away.

Bike half smashed as they hacked away the coverings (with an axe allegedly, that they threatened a passer with) to try and hot wire it.

Bike is not worth much, certainly not for joy riding on and is now probably toast. But it was a god send for me in terms of getting me about in town and is not easily replaced and no way will the insurance cover anything like a genuine like for like re the age v utility / life it still had left in it.

Now sitting in a bike parking bay all taped up in until I get a van to pick it up as, brilliantly, if the police had moved it for me it would have cost me, the victim in all this, £160.

Absolutely pointless crime that’s going to do nothing but cost me money and no little inconvenience. Gutting.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post

Bike half smashed as they hacked away the coverings (with an axe allegedly, that they threatened a passer with) to try and hot wire it.

Bike is not worth much, certainly not for joy riding on and is now probably toast. But it was a god send for me in terms of getting me about in town and is not easily replaced and no way will the insurance cover anything like a genuine like for like re the age v utility / life it still had left in it.

Now sitting in a bike parking bay all taped up in until I get a van to pick it up as, brilliantly, if the police had moved it for me it would have cost me, the victim in all this, £160.

Absolutely pointless crime that’s going to do nothing but cost me money and no little inconvenience. Gutting.
    sorry to see this mate, some utter ****bags out there

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

S****y story - sorry to hear that.

As you say, an absolutely senseless crime too.
    Mon the Hibs.

That's awful. Probably unrelated but seeing as this story happened in the City Centre I'm wondering if maybe this is more common than being reported. Read it the day it happened, what shocked me was how busy it must have been, they clearly don't care if they're caught.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news...ieves-25683294

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    That's awful. Probably unrelated but seeing as this story happened in the City Centre I'm wondering if maybe this is more common than being reported. Read it the day it happened, what shocked me was how busy it must have been, they clearly don't care if they're caught.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news...ieves-25683294
    Aye I’m not surprised. The Police yesterday pretty much admitted they knew who this gang was ‘running rampage across Edinburgh stealing bikes’ and said they would probably ‘catch them eventually when they made a mistake’. So not exactly pro active and says he spends plenty of his time recovering trashed stolen bikes from all over the place.

Not that I’d expect much to happen to them if and when they are caught and it certainly won’t do anything to solve the crap they have handed me now.

Right pain in the arse so it is and still frustrated at the pointlessness of it all. It’s is (was!) a scooter limited to 29mph that you could probably run faster than of going up a hill! Why anyone would want to steal then trash that is beyond me.

Aye I’m not surprised. The Police yesterday pretty much admitted they knew who this gang was ‘running rampage across Edinburgh stealing bikes’ and said they would probably ‘catch them eventually when they made a mistake’. So not exactly pro active and says he spends plenty of his time recovering trashed stolen bikes from all over the place.

Not that I’d expect much to happen to them if and when they are caught and it certainly won’t do anything to solve the crap they have handed me now.

Right pain in the arse so it is and still frustrated at the pointlessness of it all. It’s is (was!) a scooter limited to 29mph that you could probably run faster than of going up a hill! Why anyone would want to steal then trash that is beyond me.
    Totally get your frustration. Once had something similar happen to me. It's little comfort when they do eventually catch them from my expeience. Your just cited to appear as a witness for the Police and get nothing by way of compensation while the thief in my case ended up with a small fine. If you want a Police Officer head to the Sheriff Court, I couldn't believe how many were in there just to give evidence.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Queensferry Road, inside lane closed just before Clermiston Road turn off but people start queuing in one lane far too early, leaving the inside lane free for me to drive right up to the merge point and some folk get annoyed at me!

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Glasgow Road no left or right turn down to Tesco Lidl and Mcds, road closed, will be chaos both way’s tonight at peak time, while I’m at it, are traffic wardens just in city centre, every day at peak time through Corstorphine folk parked in bus lanes outside Sofias restaurant on the zig zag lines, it’s a bloody joke.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Glasgow Road no left or right turn down to Tesco Lidl and Mcds, road closed, will be chaos both way’s tonight at peak time, while I’m at it, are traffic wardens just in city centre, every day at peak time through Corstorphine folk parked in bus lanes outside Sofias restaurant on the zig zag lines, it’s a bloody joke.
    There's a lassie who owns a florist at Jocks Lodge parks here wee white car in the bus lane every day, no traffic wardens ever book her.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    ??

So if I'm going Eastbound from Maybury I can't take a right at Drumbrae roundabout anymore??
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    ??

So if I'm going Eastbound from Maybury I can't take a right at Drumbrae roundabout anymore??
    Only for 7-10 days to facilitate utility works, after that there's about a month or so of contra-flow at the same location (from Drum Brae RAB to the Tesco junction).
    Meadow Place Rd is open northbound throughout.

The closure of the West Approach Rd, not so much the closure but a lack of signage heading westbound. It's not until you get to where the road splits towards Murrayfield that the signs appear telling you the road is closed for 5 weeks.
    At least that was the case this morning, would expect signage back at Lothian Rd and Morrison Link to fully inform all users and allow folk to take an alternate route before being spat out at Ardmillan with little warning.

The closure of the West Approach Rd, not so much the closure but a lack of signage heading westbound. It's not until you get to where the road splits towards Murrayfield that the signs appear telling you the road is closed for 5 weeks.
    At least that was the case this morning, would expect signage back at Lothian Rd and Morrison Link to fully inform all users and allow folk to take an alternate route before being spat out at Ardmillan with little warning.
    Is it shut both ways? That's usually the route I take in to ER.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Is it shut both ways? That's usually the route I take in to ER.
    AFAIK, yeah, there's works going on near where the WAR crosses Dalry road to facilitate a new crossing for the NEPN.
    I didn't head in to town that way this morning but it's my usual route for work traveling between Gyle and Waverley, imagine it's gonna be chaos for the month or so.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    When did it close? No issues Sunday night

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    When did it close? No issues Sunday night

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
    Closed overnight sunday/Monday!

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    AFAIK, yeah, there's works going on near where the WAR crosses Dalry road to facilitate a new crossing for the NEPN.
    I didn't head in to town that way this morning but it's my usual route for work traveling between Gyle and Waverley, imagine it's gonna be chaos for the month or so.
    And one of the posted diversions is along Gorgie Road.... as you approach the junction at Gorgie/Dalry they've closed 20 meters or so of the carriageway to dig a hole... just short of the lights. Basically when the filter is on to take you towards haymarket you can't use it as the ardmillan traffic is still sitting on red.

Joined up thinking... NOT!

What are they doing to us in this city? We're moving out when we are ready.

@hibs.net private member
    Sitting at lights at Jock's Lodge heading north, waiting to go down Smoky Brae.
    Left filter is green for traffic going to London Road.
    DPD driver comes through the left lane, and then cuts right into Portobello Road towards Morrisons, going through traffic coming from London Road and through the green man for pedestrians.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Forward Collision Avoidance Assist is added to my list of hated so-called safety features in modern cars along with lane assist which I think I’ve already mentioned on here.

It has started engaging and automatically braking needlessly when turning corners or indeed when I’m already braking and have plenty space to come to a stop. Result - I’ve done my back in from the sudden jolt