hibs.net Messageboard

Page 16 of 114 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    LRT bus drivers and their God given right to pull away from a stop whilst ignoring the traffic conditions.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Western approach road to Lothian road, there are two lanes that turn right into Lothian road yet some drivers get upset when you use the empty left lane and try to block you in if you come across parked traffic on the left at the Shakespeare pub.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Western approach road to Lothian road, there are two lanes that turn right into Lothian road yet some drivers get upset when you use the empty left lane and try to block you in if you come across parked traffic on the left at the Shakespeare pub.
    I never really understand folk's annoyance at this - what are you meant to do if you're on the left lane turning right?

I'll always let folk in there.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    LRT bus drivers and their God given right to pull away from a stop whilst ignoring the traffic conditions.
    I’ve mostly found buses quite patient in waiting to get back into the lane from bus stops, I usually let them out whenever possible and usually get a flash of the hazards in response. What I see much more of is long lines of cars refusing to let buses out, even though they are indicating to do so.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I never really understand folk's annoyance at this - what are you meant to do if you're on the left lane turning right?

I'll always let folk in there.
    I get that but I’d imagine it’s folk trying to cut the queue knowing that they face either a delivery lorry or a bus lane when they get round the corner.

To answer your question though I think folk expect everyone to queue in the right hand lane as that’s the one that flows.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I get that but I’d imagine it’s folk trying to cut the queue knowing that they face either a delivery lorry or a bus lane when they get round the corner.

To answer your question though I think folk expect everyone to queue in the right hand lane as that’s the one that flows.
    Nah it’s the same kind of idiot that sits queuing in the outside lane when the bus lane is completely free and available to use during permitted times. Folk that don’t use both lanes create the problems.

@hibs.net private member
    Nah it’s the same kind of idiot that sits queuing in the outside lane when the bus lane is completely free and available to use during permitted times. Folk that don’t use both lanes create the problems.
    I get the bus lane example but isn’t that the corner where you always (not just sometimes) have to pull over to the outside lane after you turn? Long time since I’ve driven round there but that’s my recollection.

First Team Breakthrough
    I get the bus lane example but isn’t that the corner where you always (not just sometimes) have to pull over to the outside lane after you turn? Long time since I’ve driven round there but that’s my recollection.
    Yep, I try not to let people in in that situation too. The only exceptions being if it’s a bus, emergency vehicle or if there’s an impending collision.
    It does illustrate a point about the bus lanes though. When they’re not in operation they get used as parking bays so you can’t drive in them anyway. The only bus lanes I can use routinely when they’re not in operation are the ones along Calder Rd.
    I hear there’s a campaign to make them operational 7 days a week.

Whether you have to pull over or not (and it’s not always the case btw) you are entitled to drive in the left hand lane and turn right into Lothian Road.

Whether you have to pull over or not (and it’s not always the case btw) you are entitled to drive in the left hand lane and turn right into Lothian Road.
    That's true. However their sense of entitlement that drivers in the correct lane (right hand lane to right hand lane) should automatically cede to them is staggering. The baddies are in the blocked lane on LR, they have to wait until someone let's them in.

Private hire cabs are the worst here ... and probably everywhere else too.

Now that I've mentioned private hire cabs (:-) Do they need a UK driving licence? Not many of them seem to know the rules!!!!
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member
    Correct you have a right to be in that lane but when you find your lane blocked you don’t have a right to pull over into the other lane.

@hibs.net private member

Good point. When I had a company car I would always use the bus lane when allowed, much to the panic in other drivers' minds

in the outside lane. Now that I drive my own car I don't use the bus lanes as that is where the pot holes are.

Correct you have a right to be in that lane but when you find your lane blocked you don’t have a right to pull over into the other lane.
    I never said you did, I was highlighting the fact that some drivers get irate as soon as they see you alongside them at the lights, and scream away from the lights determined to stay ahead of anyone on the inside as if they had no right to even attempt to use that lane.

@hibs.net private member
    Folk that don’t articulate their point and then get humpty when you question it.

Folk that don’t articulate their point and then get humpty when you question it.
    Who’s getting humpty 😂😂

Folk who can’t decide which lane so they straddle both until they get to the markings which tells them.

The mother who decided it would be a good idea to take her children cycling today. One on a bike of their own, the other on the back of hers. 4.35 and it's getting dark; no helmets, no lights and all in dark clothing. The child on her own bike was swerving all over the road. An accident waiting to happen as you have to assume this behaviour isn't a one off.

I sat behind them until there was loads of space to pass, I hope for their sakes other drivers are sensible as well.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    That's true. However their sense of entitlement that drivers in the correct lane (right hand lane to right hand lane) should automatically cede to them is staggering. The baddies are in the blocked lane on LR, they have to wait until someone let's them in.

Private hire cabs are the worst here ... and probably everywhere else too.

Now that I've mentioned private hire cabs (:-) Do they need a UK driving licence? Not many of them seem to know the rules!!!!
    It’s become much more noticeable with private hire cars recently because of Uber. Anyone with a suitable car can apply for a license and then they’re allowed on the road to work as a phc. Lots of people do it as an extra bit of income. Some of the driving is shocking.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    The f****ers who use the street I live in as a short cut and drive at double the speed limit as well, nightmare from 3-6 each day, apart from weekends, worst offenders being workies in vans.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Twats that dont turn their full beam off HGV's are bad for this.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Suspect this has already been done but the ducks that race you round the roundabout so they can nip in front before the merge. Congrats. You are now one ahead in the static queue. 3 times in 3 days heading home along the A71 at the park and ride. First duck actually forced me to stay on and use the right turn at Hermiston.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Suspect this has already been done but the ducks that race you round the roundabout so they can nip in front before the merge. Congrats. You are now one ahead in the static queue. 3 times in 3 days heading home along the A71 at the park and ride. First duck actually forced me to stay on and use the right turn at Hermiston.

Have to agree, I find that act totally knobbish.

People who brake before they indicate when they are intending to turn. You sit behind them wondering what they are doing and then finally the indicator comes on.

People who brake before they indicate when they are intending to turn. You sit behind them wondering what they are doing and then finally the indicator comes on.
    You're meant to indicate 1st so when you do break, the driver behind expects it.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post

A guy in a Porsche did that to me at Sherriff Hall. First and only time I ever feel like I've seen red when driving.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    You're meant to indicate 1st so when you do break, the driver behind expects it.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Exactly

The amount of of people who indicate as they start to turn the wheel does my head in. I can see your car changing direction, indicate *before* so that I know you’re going to, indicating after the direction change is pointless.

also, people who are turning right at a roundabout, but don’t indicate until they’re coming off. I know some roundabouts have more than 4 exits, and/or not laid out in a basic 4 way, 90 degree angled manner, but even on simple roundabouts, you just don’t know where these people will just suddenly change direction.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Got a few but the two that annoy me the most are the following:

Folk that don’t signal when they are going to turn left/right

Also bus drivers that think they have right of way when attempting to pull out.

Don’t get me started on cyclists...
    Last edited by hfc rd; 25-11-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I think buses DO have the right of way when pulling out.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I think buses DO have the right of way when pulling out.
    Rule 223
    Buses, coaches and trams. Give priority to these vehicles when you can do so safely, especially when they signal to pull away from stops. Look out for people getting off a bus or tram and crossing the road.

I think that means you should, not that you must. As a driver driving along I'd suggest you retain right of way over the bus and that the bus can only move into the flow of traffic if it's safe or is invited to do so.
    Space to let