hibs.net Messageboard

Page 13 of 114 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Low emission cars here are exempt from road tax so bikes should definitely be exempt.
    New cars not exempt.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskas View Post
    Me too- the cycle path at the Meadowbank end near the loch is just used as a pavement. Plus according to Strava I’m averaging 23-25mph going through the park so pretty much keeping up with traffic. I do use the cycle path going up the hill because it’s relatively quiet and better for me and other road users than grinding my way uphill with a queue of cars up my chuff! I’m probably guilty of whooshing along the Innocent too but not at the expense of putting myself or other users at risk
    Cyclists who break the speed limit. ;-)

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    You can’t win- either you’re going too slow and holding up traffic or going too fast ;-)
    I actually had a taxi driver blame me fir going too fast when he pulled out in front of me

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Cyclists who blatantly ignore red lights, they never seem to post that footage from their head cams though.

Absolutely. I nearly got taken out by a cyclist at Abbeymount crossroads one Saturday morning when I was on my way to get the bus to an away game. I was crossing on green man when a cyclist flew through the red just missing me and I mean just missing me, he was going at some speed. Can't help thinking a little kid that may have been crossing may not have been so lucky and a bike can do some damage to you at speed.

Again at a crossing this time in London at Euston Square, crossing the road, admittedly it wasn't a green man but the cyclists traffic lights were at red sits a 4 way crossing, he nearly cycled into me this time at a lower speed, I said to him you just went through a red light, he then said I was jaywalking . I said you can get done for running a red light, I can't get done for jaywalking unless we're in the US. London is murder though, the traffic is brutal.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Actually quite difficult for a cycle to break the speed limit, seeing as limits on roads apply to motorised vehicles only that must have a working speedometer.

At the start of the summer I was talking to a couple of policeman that were on cycles at the canal aquaduct at Slateford. They were there with a speed gun and were offering "advice" to cyclists that were deemed to be going too fast. I thought British Waterways had imposed a 6 mph limit on the tow path but the Polis denied this, apparently it's quite difficult to charge a cyclist with speeding.
    Personally, I'd suggest fast cycling commuters should stick to the road, the canal tow path is just too narrow for the minority of (irresponsible) users.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Absolutely. I nearly got taken out by a cyclist at Abbeymount crossroads one Saturday morning when I was on my way to get the bus to an away game. I was crossing on green man when a cyclist flew through the red just missing me and I mean just missing me, he was going at some speed. Can't help thinking a little kid that may have been crossing may not have been so lucky and a bike can do some damage to you at speed.

Again at a crossing this time in London at Euston Square, crossing the road, admittedly it wasn't a green man but the cyclists traffic lights were at red sits a 4 way crossing, he nearly cycled into me this time at a lower speed, I said to him you just went through a red light, he then said I was jaywalking . I said you can get done for running a red light, I can't get done for jaywalking unless we're in the US. London is murder though, the traffic is brutal.
    Scenario 1, I took a cyclist (unintentionally) off his bike a few years ago who done the exact same thing. Was out a run, the green man was on as I was approaching at Randolph Crescent heading out onto Queensferry street. The green man was still on when I got there but the cyclist wouldn’t have been able to see me due to the bushes that run pretty much all the way to the junction. Got to the crossing, stepped out and his handle bars clipped my body and he flew off the bike (which was going at some speed). He was up in a flash wanting to fight me because I’d apparently “deliberately” taken him off his bike and didn’t “give a ****” that he’d went through a green man/red light. Absolute fanny of a man and while it’s the only time I’ve actually been hit I witness this sort of thing on a daily basis.

The price of petrol has to be at an all time high as well!

I was walking not driving when I witnessed this but felt it belonged in this thread;

Folk on mobility scooters that think they're a car! Just seen a guy on a mobility scooter drive down lane 2 of the South Gyle Broadway heading East. Most drivers gave him a very wide berth buy a UPS van was not so careful, nearly rear ended him as the van was doing 30+ and the scooter maybe 7?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I was walking not driving when I witnessed this but felt it belonged in this thread;

Folk on mobility scooters that think they're a car! Just seen a guy on a mobility scooter drive down lane 2 of the South Gyle Broadway heading East. Most drivers gave him a very wide berth buy a UPS van was not so careful, nearly rear ended him as the van was doing 30+ and the scooter maybe 7?
    What is the law regarding those things? Some people seem to be on the pavement and others on the road.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar

Sounds similar to my point on cyclists.

If only there was a mobility scooter lane...

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Sounds similar to my point on cyclists.

If only there was a mobility scooter lane...
    What was your point on cyclists? Must have got lost in all the ranting.
    My point was this was a dangerous use of a mobility scooter. Scooters that can travel up to 8mph have to be registered to be used on the road, however, a lot of scooters are NOT registered. This guy was travelling the length of the Broadway, going down the outside of lane 2 (colloquially known as the overtaking lane or fast lane) by the grass central reservation. He had no need to be there and it was (in my opinion obviously) rather stupid and dangerous.
    Had any other vulnerable road user done the same I'd have thought it equally ridiculous but the fact that it was a mobility scooter, it was tipping down with rain and the guy had shorts and a vest top on I thought it worthy of a mention!
    Last edited by speedy_gonzales; 14-09-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    What is the law regarding those things? Some people seem to be on the pavement and others on the road.
    There's different classifications on mobility scooters, some are limited to 4mph and can only be used on pavements. Some are limited to 8mph and can be used on roads. If they are to be driven, they should be driven just as you'd drive a slow vehicle, they are not allowed in active bus lanes but at the today's spectacle was before 4pm so he really should have been over to the left,,,,
    Along with a requirement to being registered, there are rules laid out for their use on the public highway;

Rules for class 3 invalid carriages
    Class 3 invalid carriages must have the following features:

a maximum unladen weight of 150kg
    a maximum width of 0.85 metres
    a device to limit its speed to 4mph
    a maximum speed of 8mph
    an efficient braking system
    front and rear lights and reflectors
    direction indicators able to operate as a hazard warning signal
    an audible horn
    a rear view mirror
    an amber flashing light if it’s used on a dual carriageway

There was no mirror or flashing lights on this particular scooter I witnessed.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    What was your point on cyclists? Must have got lost in all the ranting.
    My point was this was a dangerous use of a mobility scooter. Scooters that can travel up to 8mph have to be registered to be used on the road, however, a lot of scooters are NOT registered. This guy was travelling the length of the Broadway, going down the outside of lane 2 (colloquially known as the overtaking lane or fast lane) by the grass central reservation. He had no need to be there and it was (in my opinion obviously) rather stupid and dangerous.
    Had any other vulnerable road user done the same I'd have thought it equally ridiculous but the fact that it was a mobility scooter, it was tipping down with rain and the guy had shorts and a vest top on I thought it worthy of a mention!
    Are you deliberately being obtuse and antagonising?

Both are unnecessary hazards. When there are alternatives in place that are safer, they should be used.

Necessary?

Both are unnecessary hazards. When there are alternatives in place that are safer, they should be used.
    So this is your point?

A person cycling on the road is an unnecessary hazard? Even though there may be a facility for them to use to get them off the road I have yet to see such a facility that takes them their full journey (such as a road would) so it may well be the cyclist has risk assessed this and decided it is perfectly legitimate and legal to cycle on the carriageway.
    I wouldn't class that as an unnecessary hazard (hazard for whom?).

Comparing a cyclist on the road to a mobility scooter driving down the right hand side of lane 2 in a 40mph zone is pretty out there.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar

To the driver of the silver car that drove right up the inside lane which is closed for gas works on the approach to the temporary lights at the cross roads on milton and just pushed in to skip a bit of the queue well you nearly too my front bumper off. Twat!

@hibs.net private member
    I must’ve said this on here already but folk that keep going straight or turn left on a late amber leaving those of us turning right stranded.

2 of the worst junctions for this are Niddrie crossroads and gilmerton at the supperbowl chippy. No thought for anyone else.
    Last edited by Danderhall Hibs; 15-09-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I must’ve said this on here already but folk that keep going straight it turn left on a late Amber leaving those of us turning right stranded.

2 of the worst junctions for this are Niddrie crossroads and gilmertin at the supperbowl chippy. No thought for anyone else.

Agree, thats murder. Its like that at Meadowbank if you're trying to turn right into the shopping centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I must’ve said this on here already but folk that keep going straight or turn left on a late amber leaving those of us turning right stranded.

2 of the worst junctions for this are Niddrie crossroads and gilmerton at the supperbowl chippy. No thought for anyone else.
    I think it's because some people just don't understand what an amber light means which is stop of you haven't passed the stop line and continue only if it's unsafe to stop. It happens to me all the time at those Niddrie crossroads, some clown absolutely flooring it from 10 yards away from the light to skip through the amber literally the swcond before it hits red. When they see you are irate you get the shrug of the shoulders and a point at the lights.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Some drivers need to look at why they place box junctions where they do and why not to block them. Also keep clear signs don't apply to some drivers. Same goes for priority over oncoming vehicle signs, sometimes its like jousting in a car!

First Team Breakthrough
    Drivers blatantly picking their nose.
    It’s like they think nobody can see them.
    Even worse if it’s a good looking woman.
    Why on earth would folk do that ? Manky skanks.

Guys staring in my car window when I'm rooting around in my nostrils for a snack.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Guys staring in my car window when I'm rooting around in my nostrils for a snack.
    Laughed out loud at this. Getting strange looks in a car park now. :-)

I witnessed a first the other, a woman doing her make up while driving, had to do a double take.

Some Grade A fuddery on show on the road from Auchterarder to Edinburgh today. These people should have "drive the conditions" tattooed on the backs of their hands.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I witnessed a first the other, a woman doing her make up while driving, had to do a double take.
    I saw something similar whilst driving last week, I was so shocked I spat my sandwich out all over the windscreen and nearly spilled my coffee.

Not a peeve as such but I can't understand why some people, generally in very small cars, drive behind huge vehicles lorries and buses, for miles on motorways or dual carriageways.

They can't see much of the road ahead on a good day but on days like today they're almost entirely shrouded in spray!
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Not a peeve as such but I can't understand why some people, generally in very small cars, drive behind huge vehicles lorries and buses, for miles on motorways or dual carriageways.

They can't see much of the road ahead on a good day but on days like today they're almost entirely shrouded in spray!
    Some people are just scared to overtake on the motorway. I notice it a lot in the taxi, I’m doing 60mph or so and there’s people who will sit behind me for miles.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Some people are just scared to overtake on the motorway. I notice it a lot in the taxi, I’m doing 60mph or so and there’s people who will sit behind me for miles.
    I had one tailgate me today for about 5 miles then eventually lost the rag and had to pull out to overtake. Road wasn't busy and any competent driver would've passed me miles before he did. Must be a form of Motorway Vehophobia. I don't think we're allowed to shake our heads in disbelief at the behaviour of these poor people trying overcome this terrible condition

That's why their cars have mirrors.