hibs.net Messageboard

Page 26 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To the woman sat in her car at the lights on Milton rd with her 2 young children in car seats in the back, sitting texting on her phone and continued to look down and text whilst pulling away when traffic started moving when the lights changed, absolutely horrendous behaviour from a mother with young kids. I hope you get caught.
    Hope she reads this.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Hope she reads this.
    But not while driving, obvs 😉

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    But not while driving, obvs 😉

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    People that overtake you on slip roads when you are trying to feed into the main carriageway and end up blocking you out.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

Driving Pet Peeves

A boy in a BMW just drove the wrong way up the one way street next to the BBQ chippy in Corstorphine and parked up then toddled off to get his supper.

You’d think that if he failed to notice the no entry signs he’d at least notice that every single car that’s parked on both sides of the street are facing the opposite way to his car. Incredible
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    A boy in a BMW just drove the wrong way up the one way street next to the BBQ chippy in Corstorphine and parked up then toddled off to get his supper.

You’d think that if he failed to notice the no entry signs he’d at least notice that every single car that’s parked on both sides of the street are facing the opposite way to his car. Incredible
    Probably a regular customer local to the area who knew exactly what he was doing, a pretty regular occurrence in that street.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Probably a regular customer local to the area who knew exactly what he was doing, a pretty regular occurrence in that street.
    Yup, worse when there's been something on at Murrayfield, People heading back West and see the chippy then practically hand-brake turn in to Craig's Avenue. Seen first hand a few close calls as pedestrians don't expect cars to pass the no-entry signs the wrong way.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar

Often happens in the only one way street in Pitlochry. Locals taking a short cut or foreigners who don't see the no entry signs.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    To the woman sat in her car at the lights on Milton rd with her 2 young children in car seats in the back, sitting texting on her phone and continued to look down and text whilst pulling away when traffic started moving when the lights changed, absolutely horrendous behaviour from a mother with young kids. I hope you get caught.
    The amount of lassies I see filming themselves and their kids singing or whatever while they drive the car is ****ing crazy.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

MOTs. Just got absolutely rinsed to get my car through its MOT, and I strongly suspect that the issues were 'ignored' by the last garage to do the MOT prior to me getting the car a year ago.

MOTs. Just got absolutely rinsed to get my car through its MOT, and I strongly suspect that the issues were 'ignored' by the last garage to do the MOT prior to me getting the car a year ago.

What did it fail on?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

What did it fail on?
    Where do I start?!

Failed on a few things as you might have guessed.

Handbrake, parts of the front suspension, some corrosion to the back brake disks (that caused the issue with the handbrake).

Looking at the MOT history, these were issues last year where the MOT failed, then passed the next day - there's no way that the issues highlighted this time were from a year's worth of driving, it's totally been cowboyed IMHO.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Across here MOTs (or the equivalent) are carried out at accredited, independent test centres who do only that - nothing to do with garages.

It also helps when you have a mate who runs one.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Across here MOTs (or the equivalent) are carried out at accredited, independent test centres who do only that - nothing to do with garages.

It also helps when you have a mate who runs one.
    It's the same here, the problem I have is that the guy who sold me the car had a mate who runs one...

It's the same here, the problem I have is that the guy who sold me the car had a mate who runs one...
    I hate tossers like that ...

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    I got an MOT a year or 2 back and I knew I needed to change the front lightbulb. Being in a rush I dropped the car off and asked could someone fit the bulb for me before the MOT as I knew it would fail. The guy in the garage done the classic inhale of breath and said 'Ohh a corsa? front light bulb? Thats a big job mate, need to take half the front of the car off for that' and it would cost me. I called him out on his bull**** (being a mechanic in a previous life) I knew it didnt require any of that.
    In the end he wouldn't back down, so I ran out and fitted it myself within 5 minutes, told him as much as I went back in and that I was now late for an appointment.

Got a call a few hours later saying it had failed on the front light alignment, and still persisted with the 3 hours labour service to correct it. I told them to do one and I would take it elsewhere.
    Took it to a small garage I know and the guy was in disbelief at my whole story, and even more stunned at the failure as it only required a few turns of the light adjustment to fix - the mechanic said he would never fail a MOT on that, and would simply just fix it as he was going alone. Didnt charge me for fixing it and now has a customer for life for simply being honest. Moral of the story, dont go near Arnold Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    I got an MOT a year or 2 back and I knew I needed to change the front lightbulb. Being in a rush I dropped the car off and asked could someone fit the bulb for me before the MOT as I knew it would fail. The guy in the garage done the classic inhale of breath and said 'Ohh a corsa? front light bulb? Thats a big job mate, need to take half the front of the car off for that' and it would cost me. I called him out on his bull**** (being a mechanic in a previous life) I knew it didnt require any of that.
    In the end he wouldn't back down, so I ran out and fitted it myself within 5 minutes, told him as much as I went back in and that I was now late for an appointment.

Got a call a few hours later saying it had failed on the front light alignment, and still persisted with the 3 hours labour service to correct it. I told them to do one and I would take it elsewhere.
    Took it to a small garage I know and the guy was in disbelief at my whole story, and even more stunned at the failure as it only required a few turns of the light adjustment to fix - the mechanic said he would never fail a MOT on that, and would simply just fix it as he was going alone. Didnt charge me for fixing it and now has a customer for life for simply being honest. Moral of the story, dont go near Arnold Clark
    The MOT is every 2 years here and every time I go (2 cars) the guy adjusts the lights for me - often they're within the allowed tolerance but he prefers that you leave with them spot-on.

On another occasion I had a brake light that was knacked (I hadn't realised). He gave me the keys to his van to go and buy a bulb at a place about quarter of a mile away and then changed it for me when I got back.

As I said, I know the guy, but I'm sure he does the same for most folk. They offer the return test free (if there are minor faults) so it makes more sense for him to spend 5 minutes fixing wee things than wasting everyone's time on a second appointment.

Where do I start?!

Handbrake, parts of the front suspension, some corrosion to the back brake disks (that caused the issue with the handbrake).

Looking at the MOT history, these were issues last year where the MOT failed, then passed the next day - there's no way that the issues highlighted this time were from a year's worth of driving, it's totally been cowboyed IMHO.
    For folk on android there's an app called Vehicle Smart. Pop in the reg number and it will show details of the car. There's a tab that gives full MOT details, even advisories.

For those that don't have android ...
    Space to let

Where do I start?!

You've been tucked away mate, same issues last year then passes the very next day??? My erse.

Arnold Shark more like, I will never ever use them for anything again after my experience with a hire van that I have posted somewhere on this site, absolute cowboys the lot of them.

The best advice you can give anyone when it comes to cars.

It's a company issue rather than an individual one. I've had a couple of mechanics who work there do jobs for me on the side and never had an issue, they are perfectly competent. My girlfriend worked for them in service and has a fair few horror stories.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

It's a company issue rather than an individual one. I've had a couple of mechanics who work there do jobs for me on the side and never had an issue, they are perfectly competent. My girlfriend worked for them in service and has a fair few horror stories.
    Never understood that one, I view this as size of customer base rather than an out and out bad company.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    For folk on android there's an app called Vehicle Smart. Pop in the reg number and it will show details of the car. There's a tab that gives full MOT details, even advisories.

I've got a similar one on iPhone, was able to look up yesterday's fail and today's pass on it immediately.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

You've been tucked away mate, same issues last year then passes the very next day??? My erse.
    Yeah. My thoughts exactly.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Same app is available on iPhones, I’ve used it for years.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I only took it there as it was a free mot from when I got the car.
    Coincidentally it was Arnold Clark that I served my apprenticeship at and I am happy to admit I would never take anything there to be fixed. As you said, the mechanics themselves are sound enough, but the majority of management were utter ****s trying to fleece everyone. I genuinely got told to mark up a car as needing 4 tyres when they were fine, and they used to (not sure about now) charge about 7quid for a sachet of screen wash when doing a service (as well as other items grossly exaggerated). Literally about a 150ml sachet.

I also remember a mate getting quoted near 200 quid to replace a sensor. I got him the part at trade price, 75 quid and fitted myself in 10 minutes.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    I only took it there as it was a free mot from when I got the car.
    Coincidentally it was Arnold Clark that I served my apprenticeship at and I am happy to admit I would never take anything there to be fixed. As you said, the mechanics themselves are sound enough, but the majority of management were utter ****s trying to fleece everyone. I genuinely got told to mark up a car as needing 4 tyres when they were fine, and they used to (not sure about now) charge about 7quid for a sachet of screen wash when doing a service (as well as other items grossly exaggerated). Literally about a 150ml sachet.

I also remember a mate getting quoted near 200 quid to replace a sensor. I got him the part at trade price, 75 quid and fitted myself in 10 minutes.
    I questioned the charge for screenwash at Arnold Clark a number of years ago. I had filled the reservoir myself the day before.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    I questioned the charge for screenwash at Arnold Clark a number of years ago. I had filled the reservoir myself the day before.

Bunch of absolute sharks, trading standards should conduct a massive investigation about AC.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Bunch of absolute sharks, trading standards should conduct a massive investigation about AC.
    Agree with all the comments about Arnold Sharks servicing, I got a service plan thrown in with a used car I bought from them. I'm a fairly high miler so after 6 months I'd done 10000 miles and had my first service with them. Went to collect the car and was told my rear brake pads were 90% worn and needed replaced immediately. I told them to go read the pre delivery inspection I had asked them to carry out before I bought the car which clearly stated the brakes were only 10% worn. They gave me some guff about they stand by their mechanics report never got any apology and I've never been back since. Took the car to Specialist Audi for them to check and they confirmed the pads were only 50% worn. Still a lot of wear in 10k miles but I doubt their original report was accurate either.
    Last edited by Alfiembra; 27-03-2019 at 06:31 AM.

I got massively stung on an mot from Arnold Clark a few years back. Hit me with a bill for 1600 hundred pound (me being a bit naive and utterly hopeless with cars went along with it) also needed it back same day or I was buggered for work the next day.

After being told the price, I told them I didn't have the 1600. I was told no problem we'll put right through to our finance partners. ****in con men 😡 wouldn't touch Arnold Clark with a barge pole.