hibs.net Messageboard

Page 15 of 115 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Devils Advocate here, I don't necessarily disagree with you.

However if the elderly are to be retested because of an increase in accidents they're involved in maybe young people shouldn't be allowed to drive until well into their 20s when statistically they are less likely to be involved in carnage!!

Also

Perhaps there should be a limit on the number of tests potential drivers are allowed to take. Even on a second test these drivers have only proven to be competent half the time ;-)
    In France all new drivers are obliged to use "apprentice" plates (like L plates but with a green A) for 2 years after passing their test. Obviously this doesn't automatically make them better drivers, but other (sensible) drivers will give them a bit more leeway/margin for error on the roads, giving them more time to build confidence and hopefully learn to drive correctly.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    In France all new drivers are obliged to use "apprentice" plates (like L plates but with a green A) for 2 years after passing their test. Obviously this doesn't automatically make them better drivers, but other (sensible) drivers will give them a bit more leeway/margin for error on the roads, giving them more time to build confidence and hopefully learn to drive correctly.
    Seems a sensible thing to do, add in IF they are removed and the police pull you its an automatic ban/points fine for doing so.

I know there is also something you can get here for young drivers where a company puts some tracking device on your car for insurance that tells them if your driving the car like an idiot or not and insurance cost reflects this.....I would make that mandatory for drivers under a certain age or when passed for x time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Seems a sensible thing to do, add in IF they are removed and the police pull you its an automatic ban/points fine for doing so.

I know there is also something you can get here for young drivers where a company puts some tracking device on your car for insurance that tells them if your driving the car like an idiot or not and insurance cost reflects this.....I would make that mandatory for drivers under a certain age or when passed for x time as well.
    I got marked down when driving my sons car for being out at night, driving home from a nightshift at 5am. Again for harsh braking,doing an emergency stop when somebody emerged from a side road. Ended up only getting a 5% rebate instead of 10, I should've been marked up for avoiding the clown.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    You could be on to something, millions to be made in a re-testing industry.
    Ha Ha, yes indeed! No way it'll happen.

I think it's frightening the strong emotions that motoring arouses in folk. Every day I see crazy behaviour behind the wheel.

And at the end of the day it's just a way of getting from A to B.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post

I agree with the apprentice plates but telematics boxes hold a scary amount of data about you.

Arguably no more than a smartphone but they shouldn't be compulsory imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I agree with the apprentice plates but telematics boxes hold a scary amount of data about you.

Arguably no more than a smartphone but they shouldn't be compulsory imo.

Telematics boxes don’t tell the whole story though. You can be an excellent driver, but someone else’s poor driving may force you to take evasive action, such as someone coming out of a side street forcing you to brake and swerve. Telematics would score you poorly here for harsh braking and steering, yet you are actually the better driver (and avoided a collision also).

Same for some of them that score you down for driving at what it classes as abnormal times, as mentioned above - what if you work night shift?

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Telematics boxes don’t tell the whole story though. You can be an excellent driver, but someone else’s poor driving may force you to take evasive action, such as someone coming out of a side street forcing you to brake and swerve. Telematics would score you poorly here for harsh braking and steering, yet you are actually the better driver (and avoided a collision also).

Same for some of them that score you down for driving at what it classes as abnormal times, as mentioned above - what if you work night shift?
    I don't have a telematics box but for my wee driving job I have a tablet with various apps such as say nav, video recorder and log. They do similar stuff to the box I'd imagine.

The sat nav regularly picks up the wrong speed for the road I'm on, 20 instead of 40 is a favourite in certain areas but it often picks up changes to the allowed speed early or late; if the GPS signal is dodgy then my recorded speed is inaccurate - my record speed is 2,400 mph on the M90! I'm not sure these boxes would save my employer money lol.
    Space to let

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    The ****ing **** that designed the bit of road between The Gyle centre and the Gogar roundabout. What a stupid ****ing *******.

A set of lights right after the roundabout to let trams pass, then twenty yards on another set for pedestrians to cross, meanwhile traffic coming from Edinburgh Park gets held up trying to get onto the roundabout because, for some ****ing genius reason, they've designed the road to funnel three lanes of traffic into two lanes right at the first set of ******* lights.

So what you get is intermittent gridlock when the lights go red, and folk trying to guess what lane they should be in and without it being in any way clear, they have to start trying to nudge in past each other.

Yesterday I counted four different lanes trying to get into one at one point because the Gyle roundabout was such a ****ing shambles. I don't even blame the drivers now - you can watch someone join a plane at the Gyle side, follow it correctly around the roundabout and by the time they're ready to join the road up to Gogar, they're lane had been joined by several others with nobody really having a clue who is meant to be where.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    The ****ing **** that designed the bit of road between The Gyle centre and the Gogar roundabout. What a stupid ****ing *******.

A set of lights right after the roundabout to let trams pass, then twenty yards on another set for pedestrians to cross, meanwhile traffic coming from Edinburgh Park gets held up trying to get onto the roundabout because, for some ****ing genius reason, they've designed the road to funnel three lanes of traffic into two lanes right at the first set of ******* lights.

So what you get is intermittent gridlock when the lights go red, and folk trying to guess what lane they should be in and without it being in any way clear, they have to start trying to nudge in past each other.

Yesterday I counted four different lanes trying to get into one at one point because the Gyle roundabout was such a ****ing shambles. I don't even blame the drivers now - you can watch someone join a plane at the Gyle side, follow it correctly around the roundabout and by the time they're ready to join the road up to Gogar, they're lane had been joined by several others with nobody really having a clue who is meant to be where.
    It really is a terrible roundabout. Impatient drivers make it worse by blocking the exits though.

Some folk have a towing hitch on the rear of their motor even though its a wee hatchback. If you're trying to park in a tightish space it's easy to miss it and dent yer front bumper.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    It really is a terrible roundabout. Impatient drivers make it worse by blocking the exits though.
    The main road through the scheme/estate where I live is full of cars (folk who prefer to block the bus route instead of parking in their allocated space presumably cos it’s too far away).

Anyway due to this you have to be cautious but others don’t bother and pile through. Tonight I stopped to let a bus down and obviously it was taking too long so the boy behind me decided to over take me only to have to pull into the side cos surprisingly their was a big double decker coming down to smash him.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    The main road through the scheme/estate where I live is full of cars (folk who prefer to block the bus route instead of parking in their allocated space presumably cos it’s too far away).

Anyway due to this you have to be cautious but others don’t bother and pile through. Tonight I stopped to let a bus down and obviously it was taking too long so the boy behind me decided to over take me only to have to pull into the side cos surprisingly their was a big double decker coming down to smash him.

Youve reminded me of a major pain in the arse:

theres a row of parked cars, you flash a car coming the other way to come through before you go, and as you’re waiting for them to come past you, another driver (often more than one) arrive at the other end, and just decide to go as well, even though it’s very obvious you’ve already been waiting, selfish pricks!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Youve reminded me of a major pain in the arse:

theres a row of parked cars, you flash a car coming the other way to come through before you go, and as you’re waiting for them to come past you, another driver (often more than one) arrive at the other end, and just decide to go as well, even though it’s very obvious you’ve already been waiting, selfish pricks!
    Definitely - also happens regularly on the same road.

The amount of folk that don’t acknowledge that I’ve let them through is incredible as well - almost like they think I have to let them through.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    They have re-done and changed the lane markings on Telford Road, when the Roadworks leave there is going to be carnage for a few weeks as people learn the lanes they need to be in.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    They have re-done and changed the lane markings on Telford Road, when the Roadworks leave there is going to be carnage for a few weeks as people learn the lanes they need to be in.
    Where and how have they changed it? Just so I can be all smug and get it right

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Heading to Queensferry Road the right hand lane is straight only and the left lane is a left turn only. Then heading down to crewe toll its the same thing at the traffic lights.

Not that people will adhere to this anyway.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Heading to Queensferry Road the right hand lane is straight only and the left lane is a left turn only. Then heading down to crewe toll its the same thing at the traffic lights.

Not that people will adhere to this anyway.

Why would they make the left hand lane for left turns only? Only having one lane going straight ahead will reduce the traffic flow massively??
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Why would they make the left hand lane for left turns only? Only having one lane going straight ahead will reduce the traffic flow massively??
    I'm not entirely sure but if I'm guessing its to stop the queue jumping that goes on there. But people deliberately use the wrong lanes to queue jump anyway so I guess we'll see. There are Roadworks there just now so perhaps they have something in mind.

Gamer IDs

I'm not entirely sure but if I'm guessing its to stop the queue jumping that goes on there. But people deliberately use the wrong lanes to queue jump anyway so I guess we'll see. There are Roadworks there just now so perhaps they have something in mind.

I genuinely am intrigued, I thought there was nothing wrong with that junction...just spending needless money I suppose by the end of the year.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

Is that the lights at the turning to Craigleith shopping centre?

If so, going towards Crewe Toll has always been right-hand lane for turning right. Like you say, people still queue-jumped.

Going the other way, I thought it worked well. Both lanes for straight ahead, then merging into one just after the lights. Making it just the right-hand lane for going straight on will make the queues horrendous, and encourage people to use the other lane to cut in.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    I genuinely am intrigued, I thought there was nothing wrong with that junction...just spending needless money I suppose by the end of the year.
    The end of the year dash to spend is in February and March.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    The end of the year dash to spend is in February and March.
    I never said calendar year 😁

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

If so, going towards Crewe Toll has always been right-hand lane for turning right. Like you say, people still queue-jumped.

Going the other way, I thought it worked well. Both lanes for straight ahead, then merging into one just after the lights. Making it just the right-hand lane for going straight on will make the queues horrendous, and encourage people to use the other lane to cut in.
    I think what they’re doing is changing the right hand lane ahead and right and the inside lane for left only. The obvious solution was to just have both lanes unmarked.

United we stand here....

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

If anyone is really that interested to see the new lay-out i will pull my dashcam footage out when i get home.

Gamer IDs

If anyone is really that interested to see the new lay-out i will pull my dashcam footage out when i get home.
    Nah 😁

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Wee bit different not a peeve as such but a bit of credit where it's due.

I commute Edinburgh to Aberdeen every week and on my return journey I by pass Dundee and travel through Couper Angus on the A85 I think.
    Anyway it's a 60mph limit immediately changing to a 30mph when you hit Couper Angus, what has been done is a set of traffic lights has been installed at the first junction after the 30mph signs and if they detect you haven't slowed down sufficiently they change to red. The lights aren't there just for this purpose alone as thet also serve as access in and out of a small housing estate but everytime I've been above 30 approaching it or vehicles in front of me over 30mph they change to red. So I guess it's intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Wee bit different not a peeve as such but a bit of credit where it's due.

I commute Edinburgh to Aberdeen every week and on my return journey I by pass Dundee and travel through Couper Angus on the A85 I think.
    Anyway it's a 60mph limit immediately changing to a 30mph when you hit Couper Angus, what has been done is a set of traffic lights has been installed at the first junction after the 30mph signs and if they detect you haven't slowed down sufficiently they change to red. The lights aren't there just for this purpose alone as thet also serve as access in and out of a small housing estate but everytime I've been above 30 approaching it or vehicles in front of me over 30mph they change to red. So I guess it's intentional.
    Very intentional. A few years ago a speeding driver ploughed into a group of people killing a toddler in a pushchair. This was just after the new lights opposite the park

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

Be a nightmare coming out mcds

Folk who wait til the light goes green, then start putting the car in gear, taking off the hand brake, checking the mirrors. The amber light is to alert you that the green light is about to go on, pay attention!

folk who indicate as they’re turning the car. We don’t need you to put on the flashing orange light as your car is turning, we can see the car change direction. We’d really like it if you put the indicator on before then, so we know you’re going to turn.

Road markings that contradict the Highway Code.

I was in Nottingham last Sunday, my sister in law was driving, and followed a tram down a street that had no 'no entry' signs, instead it was blue circle with a picture of a tram and a separate sign beneath with the word 'only'. Thanks to the guys who signaled to turn round.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.