hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

Films you stumble across and that’s that!

This isn’t about your favourite films, it’s about the ones you stumble across on any given night and once you start watching, you know you’ll be in to the end.

You maybe weren’t looking out for it but when you are scrolling through the EPG you find it’s on and it’s an automatic press of the ‘Select’ button.

Was hit with a double whammy tonight.

The Deerhunter and A Few Good Men. The latter is more so for the closing scene with Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruise in the courtroom, the first is sheer quality through and through.

Other films that draw me in, every time, regardless of how many viewings are The Shining, The Godfather II, Goodfellas And Pan’s Labyrinth.

Any others?
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This isn’t about your favourite films, it’s about the ones you stumble across on any given night and once you start watching, you know you’ll be in to the end.

You maybe weren’t looking out for it but when you are scrolling through the EPG you find it’s on and it’s an automatic press of the ‘Select’ button.

The Deerhunter and A Few Good Men. The latter is more so for the closing scene with Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruise in the courtroom, the first is sheer quality through and through.

Other films that draw me in, every time, regardless of how many viewings are The Shining, The Godfather II, Goodfellas And Pan’s Labyrinth.

Any others?
    Years ago I stumbled across a Jack Lemon film called "The Weekenders". It was a bit like Natoinal Lampoon's Vacaton meets the Keystone Cops however I remember laughing a helluva lot.

Another was "The Day Of The Jackal". We'd gone to see "That'll be the Day" but it was sold out so we went to see the Jackal without knowing anything about it. Great suspense movie.

Any others?
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Years ago I stumbled across a Jack Lemon film called "The Weekenders". It was a bit like Natoinal Lampoon's Vacaton meets the Keystone Cops however I remember laughing a helluva lot.

Another was "The Day Of The Jackal". We'd gone to see "That'll be the Day" but it was sold out so we went to see the Jackal without knowing anything about it. Great suspense movie.
    Thats a good shout. It’s one I’ve seen before from start to finish, but if I came across it a third or halfway through I’d probably see it out to the end.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

First Team Breakthrough
    Picked up a movie on a flight back from Shanghai called I am Dan Blake, set in Newcastle. Had everything, black humor, tragedy, frustration, protest, sadness and much more. Actually reminded me of Boys from the black stuff in many ways.

A few good examples in your OP mate, I'd add:

The Shawshank Redemption
    Young Guns
    Braveheart
    Step Brothers
    Most John Wayne westerns

Platoon, best war movie, must have watched it ten times. Will look out for weekenders, as I like Jack Lemon. I don't know why but can't resist watching Groundhog Day anytime its on, addictive.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post

Did you mean The Out Of Towners for the Jack Lemmon film? Couldn’t find anything for The Weekenders, can’t beat Jack Lemmon.

Either way, I stumbled across The Out Of Towners one night and really enjoyed it. Same with The China Syndrone.

Lord of the Rings, any of them. That said, for me the best kind of films to stumble across are the ones that require absolutely minimal cerebral effort. One of the later Harry Potters for example. Or Vertical Limit, or almost any trash that isn't a romcom or one of those ghastly late 90's "coming of age" movies set in American High Schools.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Lord of the Rings, any of them. That said, for me the best kind of films to stumble across are the ones that require absolutely minimal cerebral effort. One of the later Harry Potters for example. Or Vertical Limit, or almost any trash that isn't a romcom or one of those ghastly late 90's "coming of age" movies set in American High Schools.
    You forget how good the LOTR movies were. Just settling down with junior to watch the two towers battle scene now.

Escape to Victory, know it word for word but, whenever I spot its on I sit through it, even though its absolute bollocks. WW2 epics (Guns of Navarone, A bridge too far etc), love them. Oh aye, Big, always brings a smile to my face. Kim as well.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 24-01-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Escape to Victory, know it word for word but, whenever I spot its on I sit through it, even though its absolute bollocks. WW2 epics (Guns of Navarone, A bridge too far etc), love them. Oh aye, Big, always brings a smile to my face. Kim as well.
    Good shout. I should have included 'Where Eagles Dare' in my original list. Seen it on a recurring basis since I was a young boy, but if I come across it I'll watch it, regardless of how long it's been already on. The scene in front of the fireplace where Richard Burton out-tricks the Germans is a cinematic masterpiece

Good shout. I should have included 'Where Eagles Dare' in my original list. Seen it on a recurring basis since I was a young boy, but if I come across it I'll watch it, regardless of how long it's been already on. The scene in front of the fireplace where Richard Burton out-tricks the Germans is a cinematic masterpiece
    I made the mistake of recording The Eagle has landed over Christmas, what a crock of ****! The terrible Larry Hagman acting and a young Jenny Agutter almost save it though. :-)

Blog Entries
    The Graduate for me. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve watched it. Iconic soundtrack and cinematography.

I made the mistake of recording The Eagle has landed over Christmas, what a crock of ****! The terrible Larry Hagman acting and a young Jenny Agutter almost save it though. :-)
    Any film with Jenny Agutter will have me watching to the end

CH5 today

The bridge at Remagen
    A bridge too far
    Where eagles dare

First Team Breakthrough
    CH5 today

The bridge at Remagen
    A bridge too far
    Where eagles dare
    A few additions to these in the same vein:

633 Squadron
    The Dam Busters
    The Great Escape.

CH5 today

The bridge at Remagen
    A bridge too far
    Where eagles dare
    I caught the fireplace scene from Where Eagles Dare. It was great!!

I caught the fireplace scene from Where Eagles Dare. It was great!!
    The only major decision I had to make on Sunday (apart from picking my football punts for the day) was whether to employ the services of the Tivo box to store said classics, decided just to wait a couple of months until they are back on. I made the right decisions football wise, not so sure re the films. :-)

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    The Big Lebowski, if it's on I'm watching it til the end.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    The Big Lebowski, if it's on I'm watching it til the end.
    This and indeed probably every Coen Brothers film I've seen, 'Fargo' and 'No Country For Old Men' in particular (I suspect because they are the ones that get shown the most). They just draw you in, regardless of the point you start watching.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Forrest Gump. I'd never put in the CD and watch it from start to finish but if I'm zapping through the channels and it's on, then I'll invariably end up watching it to the end.

Clint Eastwood - High Plains Drifter. Stumbled across that many, many times and it's one that has to be seen to the end.

Probably the Dirty Harry series - but definitely Magnum Force - classic and worth it for the denouement and for having David Soul as a baddy.

Clint Eastwood - High Plains Drifter. Stumbled across that many, many times and it's one that has to be seen to the end.

Probably the Dirty Harry series - but definitely Magnum Force - classic and worth it for the denouement and for having David Soul as a baddy.
    Just caught the tail end of it on ITV4 HD. We were watching something recorded but that can wait

The Password is Courage.

Randomly watched it at my grans years ago and loved it, great film.

Midnight Run with DeNiro and Charles Grodin. Its got everything. Possibly my favourite 80s movie. Im pleased we've got some Jack Lemmon fans out there, the Apartment, the Odd Couple with Walter Mattheu and Glengarry Glen Ross always get watched to the end as well.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 25-01-2018 at 09:29 AM.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Midnight Run with DeNiro and Charles Grodin. Its got everything. Possibly my favourite 80s movie. Im pleased we've got some Jack Lemmon fans out there, the Apartment, the Odd Couple with Walter Mattheu and Glengarry Glen Ross always get watched to the end as well.
    Midnight Run is a good shout. As is Glengarry Glen Ross, one of my favourite films.

Would also add Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Planes Trains & Automobiles & Cool Hand Luke.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 25-01-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Midnight Run is a good shout. As is Glengarry Glen Ross, one of my favourite films.

Would also add Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Planes Trains & Automobiles & Cool Hand Luke.
    I've watched PT and A so many times now I think I'd switch over channels these days but it's got so many laugh out loud moments. Candy getting his coat sleeve trapped while driving and 'those aren't pillows!!', are my personal favourite scenes.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 27-01-2018 at 11:34 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Any of the Toy story films and Shrek 1 and 2.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Double Jeopardy.

Hoffa.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Enemy Mine.

I didn’t see this till long time after it was released but if you’re a sci-if/space/alien nut like me and haven’t seen/heard of it before I’d recommend it.