hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Being 5 points clear in 4th isn't comfortably in 4th place? And it wasn't too bad above us - whilst losing to Rangers and Aberdeen directly didn't help us obviously, during the same time period we are taking about, in the space of a month Rangers lost to Dundee, St. Johnstone, Killie and Hamilton.

Aberdeen certainly benefitted a bit, they won three in a row in December, but had lost to Rangers (twice) and Celtic on either side of those wins, they drew against Hearts too.

Below us, Hearts have lost one game in 17 and are still nine behind us. Motherwell have barely won a game in months. Only Killie have been in good form.

We were comfortably in 4th when the winter break kicked in. Given the upshot of the Portugal trip, the Hearts game in the SC just came too early for us, unfortunately.

We haven't been below 4th since the end of October, and the first run of fixtures was done.
    No, 5 points isn’t comfortable when you were 11 ahead a matter of weeks before hand. No matter how you paint it we had slipped 10 points, I think, behind Aberdeen at one stage, and we’re being dragged closer to hearts who were starting to look resurgent.

It’s easy to say now that we’re 9 ahead, but at the time of printing our lead over hearts had halved and we had surrendered meekly in the cup.

If you ask now are we comfortable, of course we are, but like I say that’s after this outstanding run that was very hard to see coming.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    No, 5 points isn’t comfortable when you were 11 ahead a matter of weeks before hand. No matter how you paint it we had slipped 10 points, I think, behind Aberdeen at one stage, and we’re being dragged closer to hearts who were starting to look resurgent.

It’s easy to say now that we’re 9 ahead, but at the time of printing our lead over hearts had halved and we had surrendered meekly in the cup.

If you ask now are we comfortable, of course we are, but like I say that’s after this outstanding run that was very hard to see coming.
    We didn't surrender meekly in the cup, we certainly didn't play well, but we were competitive and battled gamely. We lost a tight game one nil, to a very fortunate goal - albeit Hearts were definitely the better team in the second half.

At the time of that game we were five points clear in fourth and only Celtic had lost less games than us. The run that's been talked about is nowhere near as bad as has been made out.

I think 8 was the most Aberdeen have been ahead. Hearts actually narrowed the gap to three points with their win over Celtic, but we had extended it to five again by the next fixtures.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 19-02-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Do you really believe this?

We didn't surrender meekly in the cup, we certainly didn't play well, but we were competitive and battled gamely. We lost a tight game one nil, to a very fortunate goal - albeit Hearts were definitely the better team in the second half.

At the time of that game we were five points clear in fourth and only Celtic had lost less games than us. The run that's been talked about is nowhere near as bad as has been made out.

I think 8 was the most Aberdeen have been ahead. Hearts actually narrowed the gap to three points with their win over Celtic, but we had extended it to five again by the next fixtures.
    1 win in 7 and out the cup to hearts is fairly poor stuff.

At the start of December we beat Partick to go 1 behind Aberdeen and 11 clear of hearts.

After the cup game we were 8 behind the dons and 5 ahead of hearts. To me that clearly shows we were in poor form and others around were closing the gap and pulling away. We then lost in the cup. Still can’t believ that you think it was one game (in the cup) and knee jerk to think we may struggle with the fixtures we had.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    Do you really believe this?
    Yes, we were piss poor that day, we created very little (think Boyle missed a great chance and hit one straight at the keeper) against a poor hearts side. We didn’t impose ourselves at all on the game and the shenanigans from the camp looked as if it had a huge bearing.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    1 win in 7 and out the cup to hearts is fairly poor stuff.

At the start of December we beat Partick to go 1 behind Aberdeen and 11 clear of hearts.

After the cup game we were 8 behind the dons and 5 ahead of hearts. To me that clearly shows we were in poor form and others around were closing the gap and pulling away. We then lost in the cup. Still can’t believ that you think it was one game (in the cup) and knee jerk to think we may struggle with the fixtures we had.
    I'm defending the situation as resolutely now as I was immediately after the Hearts game. I have had faith in this team for a long time, and we've played well in the vast majority of games this season - allied to that, I'm realistic enough to know that in our first season back in the SPL, we'd have the odd sticky patch.

We were never in crisis, and I never thought one was likely.

I'm defending the situation as resolutely now as I was immediately after the Hearts game. I have had faith in this team for a long time, and we've played well in the vast majority of games this season - allied to that, I'm realistic enough to know that in our first season back in the SPL, we'd have the odd sticky patch.

We were never in crisis, and I never thought one was likely.
    You said it was knee jerk which means it was based on one game. Stats clearly show our form had dipped for a month before that. If I was gambling based on our fixtures, going by our form, the fixtures coming and our previous post Xmas performances, along with the unsettled nature of our off field issues then I’m afraid the money would be going on a poorish run.

As it is I’m delighted it never materialised and we have stabilised our season again, but the knee jerk comment clearly wasn’t right whether you had faith or not.

You said it was knee jerk which means it was based on one game. Stats clearly show our form had dipped for a month before that. If I was gambling based on our fixtures, going by our form, the fixtures coming and our previous post Xmas performances, along with the unsettled nature of our off field issues then I’m afraid the money would be going on a poorish run.

As it is I’m delighted it never materialised and we have stabilised our season again, but the knee jerk comment clearly wasn’t right whether you had faith or not.
    The reactions were absolutely knee jerk post that one game. If you've watched us week in/out this season I don't know how you'd see otherwise.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Agree totally the knee jerk from the cup game was a joke. Bearing in mind we were brilliant and lost to Rangers including a stonewall pen which would have seen us neck and neck with them. Aberdeen game was poor however I think there were reasons for that the 3rd very tough game in 5 days. Also have to look at the derby where we were denied a goal. Personally think we werent great in the second half of both derbies on both times a tattie field of a pitch but didnt deserve to lose in the cup though we defended a set piece poorly so it can happen. The new guys coming in have helped and also the removal of Stokes has probably made the group tighter and happier. Enjoy it while it lasts I would say.

A cracking run of form, one of the best 5/6 game spells I can remember in recent times.

It looked like a daunting run of games post cup exit but the way we've played and improvement since the January window "slammed shut" is marked and most enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by SeanWilson View Post
    The reactions were absolutely knee jerk post that one game. If you've watched us week in/out this season I don't know how you'd see otherwise.
    Performances don’t win you games however. We had won 1 in 7 and lost in the cup, had a similar run of fixtures again. People had their opinions and based on the facts it wasn’t knee jerk.

We weren’t ‘comfortably’ in 4th. Hearts were on a great run, and we’re gaining on us week on week, down to around 4/5 points. We were slipping further from 2nd/3rd, and falling closer to hearts who had their tails up. It was perfectly reasonable to be worried about the next set of, extremely difficult, fixtures.

As said, thankfully January was very good recruitment wise, and we turned the corner, but it wasn’t knee jerk based on one cup defeat.
    It was knee jerk to the derby defeat mate.. U can argue all you want but maybe next time show a wee bit more faith in these players and our manager when we hit a wee form dip...and that's really all it was.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Our next 5 games

I think May2116 is annoyed some people think his post was a knee jerk reaction to the Cup loss against Hearts
    I think going into the Hearts game on the back of a break ,and with everything that went on in Portugal and the fact we weren't on a winning run made that result not such a surprise We don't win many v them at Tyncastle
    So am going to give them the Benefit of the doubt and say it wasn't a knee jerk post
    However while i couldn't of predicted how well our transfer business would turn out,I agree the poster was too gloomy ,and negative in their forecasting of results in the next five games
    I posted at the time the Dundee and Motherwell games were winnable and thought we would get beat at Celtic might pick up a draw at Ibrox and had no idea how the Aberdeen game would go
    Am delighted at the turn of events and the second half against Aberdeen is how i would like us to play every week but with more goals
    Realistically that isn't likely to
    happen and we could well come unstuck on that pitch at Killie despite our 3. 0 win their last time out
    Am not going to predict this next run but am confident we will be fourth in the league come the Split and with more luck and if other results go for us we could get into third
    But i was out my seat more times in the second half with excitement at the quality of moves that narrowly missed out on being a third and fourth goal our play deserved
    Looking forward to these next five games with confidence despite Mcginn and Bartley being one booking away from suspensions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    I think May2116 is annoyed some people think his post was a knee jerk reaction to the Cup loss against Hearts
    I think going into the Hearts game on the back of a break ,and with everything that went on in Portugal and the fact we weren't on a winning run made that result not such a surprise We don't win many v them at Tyncastle
    So am going to give them the Benefit of the doubt and say it wasn't a knee jerk post
    However while i couldn't of predicted how well our transfer business would turn out,I agree the poster was too gloomy ,and negative in their forecasting of results in the next five games
    I posted at the time the Dundee and Motherwell games were winnable and thought we would get beat at Celtic might pick up a draw at Ibrox and had no idea how the Aberdeen game would go
    Am delighted at the turn of events and the second half against Aberdeen is how i would like us to play every week but with more goals
    Realistically that isn't likely to
    happen and we could well come unstuck on that pitch at Killie despite our 3. 0 win their last time out
    Am not going to predict this next run but am confident we will be fourth in the league come the Split and with more luck and if other results go for us we could get into third
    But i was out my seat more times in the second half with excitement at the quality of moves that narrowly missed out on being a third and fourth goal our play deserved
    Looking forward to these next five games with confidence despite Mcginn and Bartley being one booking away from suspensions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I never actually gave any predictions Ronnie. I was hoping we would beat both dundee and Motherwell which guaranteed us being above hearts after the Aberdeen game. I thought they would win most of their games. I’m also let the moon we won 4 out of 5 and turned the form on its head.

My argument, however, is posters saying it was knee jerk ‘because we were playing very well’... we were indeed. But we ad nowhere near the points we should have had as a result of not scoring enough goals. This had been our issue for a while, we then lost our top scorer and it wasn’t looking great on the scoring front. We also decided to start shopping goals during that poor run. It was also a very tough run of games.

It wasn’t about ‘not having faith’ but more about predictions based on form. The knee jerk stuff would be absolutely correct on the Lennon threads discussing his merits of managing us etc.

Anyhow, it’s done, we turned performances into 3 points instead of 1 most weeks and have cemented our place in the top 4. Long may it continue.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    There's optimism, realisim and wishful thinking.
    So - if 10 points out of 15 was "wishful thinking" then answers on a postcard for what 12 means

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Sorry mate but you're dreaming if you think that's realistic given our form.
    11 points was "dreaming" - so presumably the 12 points yielded has necessitated a change of bed sheets???

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    I never actually gave any predictions Ronnie. I was hoping we would beat both dundee and Motherwell which guaranteed us being above hearts after the Aberdeen game. I thought they would win most of their games. I’m also let the moon we won 4 out of 5 and turned the form on its head.

My argument, however, is posters saying it was knee jerk ‘because we were playing very well’... we were indeed. But we ad nowhere near the points we should have had as a result of not scoring enough goals. This had been our issue for a while, we then lost our top scorer and it wasn’t looking great on the scoring front. We also decided to start shopping goals during that poor run. It was also a very tough run of games.

It wasn’t about ‘not having faith’ but more about predictions based on form. The knee jerk stuff would be absolutely correct on the Lennon threads discussing his merits of managing us etc.

Anyhow, it’s done, we turned performances into 3 points instead of 1 most weeks and have cemented our place in the top 4. Long may it continue.
    Everything is always crystal clear with hindsight. It's nothing to do with having faith, or knee jerk reactions. We have won 4 from our last 5 but prior to that we had won only 4 of 12 and had problems for large parts of the season where we weren't winning games we should have won. The only people predicting that we would have had a run as good as we did were doing so out of blind faith or being sarcastic.

By the time the Hearts game round we had gone through a run of games where we were losing a number of soft goals while never really looking like scoring. Even a number those we did score in that period (Stokes v Aberdeen, Lewis v Rangers, Shaw v Ross County and Killie, Efe v Celtic) were hugely fortunate as they were either massive deflections, a result of a goalkeeping howler or an own goal. The team looked predictable, stale and disjointed and there were a number of threads on here questioning Lennon, Ambrose, McGinn and Stokes to name a few all before we even kicked off against Hearts.

Even the games we did play well in (Rangers and Killie imo) we couldn't win. After the Portugal incident there were a lot of people concerned about the direction that our season was going in. This was also all before the Hearts game. The result there wasn't a knee jerk reaction, it was the tipping point. Thankfully it tipped in our favour.

I can predict with a fairly large degree of certainty that if we beat Hamilton and go into the Hearts game on the back of a run where we have won 5 from our last 6 then the reaction on here wouldn't be nearly as bad if we lose as it was after the cup game. If it is then we can talk about knee jerk reactions.

I didn't make a prediction but I probably would have had us down for 6 or 7. I do agree that the ones predicting 1 or 3 points were just as extreme as those predicting 10+
    Last edited by My_Wife_Camille; 20-02-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    Everything is always crystal clear with hindsight. It's nothing to do with having faith, or knee jerk reactions. We have won 4 from our last 5 but prior to that we had won only 4 of 12 and had problems for large parts of the season where we weren't winning games we should have won. The only people predicting that we would have had a run as good as we did were doing so out of blind faith or being sarcastic.

By the time the Hearts game round we had gone through a run of games where we were losing a number of soft goals while never really looking like scoring. Even a number those we did score in that period (Stokes v Aberdeen, Lewis v Rangers, Shaw v Ross County and Killie, Efe v Celtic) were hugely fortunate as they were either massive deflections, a result of a goalkeeping howler or an own goal. The team looked predictable, stale and disjointed and there were a number of threads on here questioning Lennon, Ambrose, McGinn and Stokes to name a few all before we even kicked off against Hearts.

Even the games we did play well in (Rangers and Killie imo) we couldn't win. After the Portugal incident there were a lot of people concerned about the direction that our season was going in. This was also all before the Hearts game. The result there wasn't a knee jerk reaction, it was the tipping point. Thankfully it tipped in our favour.

I can predict with a fairly large degree of certainty that if we beat Hamilton and go into the Hearts game on the back of a run where we have won 5 from our last 6 then the reaction on here wouldn't be nearly as bad if we lose as it was after the cup game. If it is then we can talk about knee jerk reactions.

I didn't make a prediction but I probably would have had us down for 6 or 7. I do agree that the ones predicting 1 or 3 points were just as extreme as those predicting 10+
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post

Nonsense. Some of us predicted this run from the off.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    I was one who predicted a poor points tally after these games but we were on a bad run at the time and I thought that it was going to be our almost traditional post xmas collapse. So pleased its turned out not to be the case. What difference a few wins makes coupled with excellent performances and a decent transfer window.