hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time to get a plan

Where are we honestly going as a club..? Scottish cup win tick.. record season ticket sales ✅ great young fan base ✅ we really need to know because I don’t see the long term ambition..

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    When Leeann came in it looked like we had one. Buy young players with potential to sell on, have a playing style with 2 pro players and a development player for each position, rise above it and be classy but act decisively when needed. Not sure what the plan is now particularly on regards to signings and style of play. Do the academy change formations and personnel every week so they can mirror the first team.

I agree a plan is exactly what is required but I don't think that is Lennon's way of managing. He seems to manage on emotions.

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    We are all disappointed after today , but we are in good hands, with a clear strategy and structure. Should be focusing on top six now.

All playing issues aside that defeat today has cost us a fair few bob.

They gambled £300k+ on Naismith and Mitchell. It has paid off and a run to the quarters, semis or even, god forbid, the final will bring them in 1/4 Mill, 1/2 Mill or even more.

Apart from walk ups and away fans we won't have much coming through the gate for the rest of the season.

This must impact on our ability to recruit a right back, attacking midfielder, goalscorer of proven quality which is being touted elsewhere on this forum.

The main source of income now for this season as far as I can see is through player sales.

Who have we got that will attract a substantial fee?

John McGinn. Anyone else? Paul Hanlon maybe.

Selling either of them at the moment doesn't bear thinking about so as far as I can see NL is just going to have to get the best out of what we presently have, and, to be fair, in my opinion, that gives him a fair bit to work with.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We are all disappointed after today , but we are in good hands, with a clear strategy and structure. Should be focusing on top six now.
    What is the strategy. It's far from clear from my point of view. If it is finishing in the top six when sitting clear in 4th I'm worried

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    All playing issues aside that defeat today has cost us a fair few bob.

They gambled £300k+ on Naismith and Mitchell. It has paid off and a run to the quarters, semis or even, god forbid, the final will bring them in 1/4 Mill, 1/2 Mill or even more.

Apart from walk ups and away fans we won't have much coming through the gate for the rest of the season.

This must impact on our ability to recruit a right back, attacking midfielder, goalscorer of proven quality which is being touted elsewhere on this forum.

The main source of income now for this season as far as I can see is through player sales.

Who have we got that will attract a substantial fee?

John McGinn. Anyone else? Paul Hanlon maybe.

Selling either of them at the moment doesn't bear thinking about so as far as I can see NL is just going to have to get the best out of what we presently have, and, to be fair, in my opinion, that gives him a fair bit to work with.
    So if they had not gambled and kept the money in the bank they would be no worse off win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post
    Focusing on top 6? Is that how low the bar is set now?

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    What is the strategy. It's far from clear from my point of view. If it is finishing in the top six when sitting clear in 4th I'm worried
    Lennon has said all season about finishing in the top 6, why would you be worried if we are ahead of our goals? As a club we have finished in the top four 5 out of the last 30 seasons, I think top 6 is a fair target on our return to the top flight with looking to improve next season.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumHibs07 View Post
    Focusing on top 6? Is that how low the bar is set now?
    First season back up. That’s s reasonable start

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by FitbaFolkKen View Post
    Lennon has said all season about finishing in the top 6, why would you be worried if we are ahead of our goals? As a club we have finished in the top four 5 out of the last 30 seasons, I think top 6 is a fair target on our return to the top flight with looking to improve next season.
    If you are already in fourth though surely the goal would be to remain there.

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    If you are already in fourth though surely the goal would be to remain there.
    No you achieve the target first then reassess. Look at the season Leicester won the league, Ranieri spent most of it talking about hitting 40 points to ensure their safety, then set a new target. I don't think he started talking about winning the league until the last couple of games of the season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by FitbaFolkKen View Post
    No you achieve the target first then reassess. Look at the season Leicester won the league, Ranieri spent most of it talking about hitting 40 points to ensure their safety, then set a new target. I don't think he started talking about winning the league until the last couple of games of the season.
    You are probably right. I don't think the time is right to be aiming for fourth.

You are probably right. I don't think the time is right to be aiming for fourth.
    Why not? Celtic Aberdeen and rangers will obviously be stronger, but why shouldn’t we expect to finish above one of the worst hearts sides, Motherwell, st Johnstone etc. Let’s put a bit of ambition into our club.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Why not? Celtic Aberdeen and rangers will obviously be stronger, but why shouldn’t we expect to finish above one of the worst hearts sides, Motherwell, st Johnstone etc. Let’s put a bit of ambition into our club.
    I was being sarcastic. If we are fourth now I would already have reassessed and been looking to strengthen this window. Unfortunately, it looks like we have went backwards.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    Where are we honestly going as a club..? Scottish cup win tick.. record season ticket sales ✅ great young fan base ✅ we really need to know because I don’t see the long term ambition..
    I do not see what you are on about, yeah we have been put out cup but that can happen. We are going in right direction and unfortunately of late the only issues to let us down are some of the players themselves. I do not know how you quantify long term ambition and what we are doing that does not show this.

We not sign up Shaw on a longer deal? Once players stop fannying about then we can see.

Apologies for starting this thread.. just read it back and I’m quite embarrassed tbh.. drink and disappointment isn’t a good combination for me.. hopefully nobody thinks I’m to much of a twat 😂

GGTTH

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    I think the plan is clear to anyone who bothers to read what the club put out less than a month ago.

From LD’s time in charge.

Step 1. Promotion by maintaining a premiership budget. Completed and took three years.

Step 2. Establishment of infrastructure which means that the club runs the same way whoever the manager happens to be at the time. Ongoing process but that’s what Craig and Mathie’s jobs appear to be.

3. Competing at the ‘top end of Scottish football’ every season which includes semis or better in the cup and regular Euro qualification.

4. First season back in the premier is to see Top six secured ASAP and highest possible finish thereafter with Europe the goal.

5. Return the club to profit

6. Make full use of and upgrade facilities

7. Attract new investment and maximise all income streams.

Some of these steps run concurrently.

How can you know anything about this club and not know the above?

Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    What because we lost a derby??

ffs.

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I think the plan is clear to anyone who bothers to read what the club put out less than a month ago.

Step 1. Promotion by maintaining a premiership budget. Completed and took three years.

Step 2. Establishment of infrastructure which means that the club runs the same way whoever the manager happens to be at the time. Ongoing process but that’s what Craig and Mathie’s jobs appear to be.

3. Competing at the ‘top end of Scottish football’ every season which includes semis or better in the cup and regular Euro qualification.

4. First season back in the premier is to see Top six secured ASAP and highest possible finish thereafter with Europe the goal.

Great post.

@hibs.net private member

Step 2 is my concern. I think that has changed under Lennon. It was the part of Leeann's vision I supported most.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumHibs07 View Post
    No it's not, it's a compete losers mentality. Hearts finished 3rd the season after they got promoted. Why should we be happy to finish in 6th below teams we're better than just because "its our first season back up". Thankfully Lennon will be more ambitious than that
    Rangers were not in the league that season, 4th would be a great achievement for our first season and try and improve on that next , it will be hard though

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    FFS!! Sitting 4th in the SPFL after 3 seasons in the championship and people are complaining!? We lost yesterday, get over it!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    FFS!! Sitting 4th in the SPFL after 3 seasons in the championship and people are complaining!? We lost yesterday, get over it!
    We won't finish 4th. We're out the cup the squad is weak and the coaching staff are rank. Comparing it with the past does us no favours. We aren't a small club so first season back is no argument.

Our form is shocking too. Lose on Wednesdays and massive pressure on us.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    We won't finish 4th. We're out the cup the squad is weak and the coaching staff are rank. Comparing it with the past does us no favours. We aren't a small club so first season back is no argument.

Is it really that bad?

Things might turn around sometime soon, but I suspect that we're lucky to have fourth place in the league right now. If you look at our performance against the top 7 in the league right now, so far this season, we only have a winning record against one of them - Killie. Of the other 5 teams, all of them have beaten us this season, we've only won two games against them in total, and in both cases, those teams have since won against us. If our current form against the top teams doesn't improve, we're looking at fifth or sixth place by season's end.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar

What is your evidence for:

Squad is weak.

Coaching staff are rank

Won’t finish 4th

?

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Currently whenever I watch us play we never seem like scoring, that needs to change pronto, until then our form will continue in the downwards trajectory...our best form was playing barker and Boyle on both wings with a striker (who plays as a striker) in the middle. I'd give maclaren a chance as he seems like a poacher who'll pop up in the box in the right areas. Let's face it we've nothing to lose giving him a go as we aren't exactly scoring many goals.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Is it really that bad?
    I hope not but I think so.

Left by mutual consent!
    What is your evidence for:

Squad is weak.

Coaching staff are rank

Won’t finish 4th

?
    Our form, other sides improving. Other clubs taking their jobs more serious.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    Things might turn around sometime soon, but I suspect that we're lucky to have fourth place in the league right now. If you look at our performance against the top 7 in the league right now, so far this season, we only have a winning record against one of them - Killie. Of the other 5 teams, all of them have beaten us this season, we've only won two games against them in total, and in both cases, those teams have since won against us. If our current form against the top teams doesn't improve, we're looking at fifth or sixth place by season's end.
    And Hearts.