hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Throw ins

The last time hibs had any movement from throw ins was when Paul Wright played .

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually felt sorry for Lewy trying to take throw-ins with no options.

Nobody even pretending to want the ball and forcing a 50-50 (which more often than not we were losing today)
    Why ? How difficult is it to throw to a player's feet (ours) and expect them to hold it up or pass to the thrower ?

If in doubt, you get it up the line and compete for it. We never seem to throw it up the line and we look for the easy, supposedly simple throw. Make players make decisions and make them compete ! One wee ricochet, one knock down, one wee break - and you're off. Lewis looks panic struck when taking them - relax, be composed, do the simple things of football and play the lines.

First Team Breakthrough BigT-Hibeez's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibeez68
    There was one point in the game when the ball came off a Hertz player, and Efe could have kept it in play but instead let it run out for a throw in, as players often do to let others get back into position, but we then lost possession from the resulting throw in!! F***ing annoying!!!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT-Hibeez View Post
    There was one point in the game when the ball came off a Hertz player, and Efe could have kept it in play but instead let it run out for a throw in, as players often do to let others get back into position, but we then lost possession from the resulting throw in!! F***ing annoying!!!
    To be fair, at various points in the second half Efe looked like he was playing in Chesser Avenue and not Tynecastle - he was all over the shop

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    We're very pedestrian when it comes to everything

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    We're very pedestrian when it comes to everything
    I have complained about the throw ins for months. Lack of movement being the main issue. Many years ago watching Airdrie! inevitably beating Hibs (many a marrooner played for them) they would put the ball up the line and advance up to the oppositions box. Where am I going with this! Practice, practise, practise! Basic throw ins corners, free kicks.

Blog Entries
    It seems every man and his dog sees our incompetence at throw ins yet nothing is done about it by our coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Why ? How difficult is it to throw to a player's feet (ours) and expect them to hold it up or pass to the thrower ?

If in doubt, you get it up the line and compete for it. We never seem to throw it up the line and we look for the easy, supposedly simple throw. Make players make decisions and make them compete ! One wee ricochet, one knock down, one wee break - and you're off. Lewis looks panic struck when taking them - relax, be composed, do the simple things of football and play the lines.
    I thought I was clear in saying it's because he had no options. Like, actually none at times.

How difficult is it for someone to run-off a man, spin-out, or pretend to want the ball from the thrower?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    It seems every man and his dog sees our incompetence at throw ins yet nothing is done about it by our coaching staff.
    A shareholder recently challenged Neil Lennon about this at the AGM and was shot down by the manager. Said our corners were fine too!

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I personally think it’s the amount of time it takes us to take them. We allow the other team time to settle into shape instead of getting on it and exposing them
    I said this yesterday seems to take a fortnight to take one hearts were far quicker at taking them yesterday if used right can be good method to start an attack.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by EVENTUALLY View Post
    A shareholder recently challenged Neil Lennon about this at the AGM and was shot down by the manager. Said our corners were fine too!
    If he thinks our set plays are good enough then that is poor.

Watch Hearts set plays yesterday. They never had many but they scored and had a clean strike from an unmarked Berra. They also had the short free kick where the new signing ran a dummy run and got a shot away with Gonzalves stopping our wall covering. Very obvious that they had worked on set plays.

As much as we are terrible at attacking set plays we are actually worse at defending them. Ambrose is terrible for losing his man and yesterday showed how poor Dylan is, as yet again, he ball watched and his man scored. Murray lost his man ball watching too. Most of our issues look like a combination of lack of a plan, lack of practice, lack of concentration and a lack of "professionalism". Every other team grapples with the target men to stop them getting a run but Berra gets a free run at Hanlon, climbs all over him and Hanlon doesn't even claim for a foul. In attack we struggle because we don't have anyone who delivers a decent ball consistently. It would be interesting to see how much work goes on at East Mains as on the face of it I would guess zero.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i don't think i would like to watch our players train at throw ins/corners tbh, i see the outcome all too often on matchdays i'm convinced they just play darts, playstations, watch sky sport news, table tennis

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Pathetic. No movement whatsoever
    I disagree. Boyle showed plenty movement. Unfortunately it was to get as far away as possible and we ended up with bizarrely Bartley being the one who we threw to hoping for a deft touch back to the thrower

With Throw ins up around the oppositions box, I really don’t understand why we don’t just get Efe to launch it into the box.

Anything can happen, even if you don’t win the 1st ball you have a chance of the defenders just clearing it and it coming straight back.

If teams did it to us, i’d be nervous at the prospect of us defending it.

I reckon we’d have much better success than the shambles we see at throw ins just now.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    With Throw ins up around the oppositions box, I really don’t understand why we don’t just get Efe to launch it into the box.

Anything can happen, even if you don’t win the 1st ball you have a chance of the defenders just clearing it and it coming straight back.

I reckon we’d have much better success than the shambles we see at throw ins just now.
    We had a throw in about 10 yards out from the bye line with a minute or two left. Efe did signal to take the long one and started to make his way over but I think the main stand would have been finished before he got there. I agree that hurling the ball into the box is a useful way of potentially picking up a cheap goal.

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post

A long throw in is as good as a corner, albeit in our case a s**te one.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    We would be as well letting the opposition take our throws

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    We should claim on our opponents behalf.

Saves time.

We end up giving it them at their feet anyway.

I simply do not understand how we can be so bad at throw ins.....if it was an amateur team it would be sorted.