hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent!

Four straight Scottish Cup wins over Hearts. A lot to ask or a reason for confidence?

Reading Alan Stubbs' BBC interview earlier I was reminded that if we knock them out the cup again this season that will the fourth successive time we'll have done so.

I'm quietly confident we can do just that, although I'm guessing the law of averages can play a part here with Hearts feeling they must be 'due' a win. What's the general consensus? Is it asking a lot to make it four Scottish Cup wins in a row over them or should such a record give us added confidence?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    A reason for confidence. The stats show they are a nasty kicking and fouling team, we get a fair ref and goals when the ball crosses the line and so long as we don't concede early we win by out playing them at football.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

They are pinning all their hopes on a guy who can't get into the squad for a team sitting in the bottom half of the English 2nd tier.

It will be a tough game but I'm confident.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I can’t see them scoring but so might we on that tattie field of a pitch.
    Confident of a win in a replay.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reading Alan Stubbs' BBC interview earlier I was reminded that if we knock them out the cup again this season that will the fourth successive time we'll have done so.

I'm quietly confident we can do just that, although I'm guessing the law of averages can play a part here with Hearts feeling they must be 'due' a win. What's the general consensus? Is it asking a lot to make it four Scottish Cup wins in a row over them or should such a record give us added confidence?
    They haven't beaten us in the Scottish Cup at their Patch for 52 years i think it is Would love us to make it ten in a row and 53 years and counting
    But records get broken at some point so lets keep this one going
    Stubbs is right it will be tight To beat them we need to break their own wee record of six clean sheets in a row
    Neither team are prolific scorers which makes their heavy defeat of Celtic all the more baffling
    Given the above and the fact a draw would also suit them financially it seems the likely outcome but i want us to show we can beat them on their own patch no matter the state of the Pitch
    Whether we will is still too close to call after a wee winter break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Ah yes the Flaw of Averages...

Consider the case of the statistician who drowns while fording a river that he calculates is, on average, three feet deep. If he were alive to tell the tale, he would expound on the “flaw of averages,” which states, simply, that plans based on assumptions about average conditions usually go wrong. T

https://hbr.org/2002/11/the-flaw-of-averages

The Flaw of Averages didn’t come into play in “those runs” other factors
    were at play - I also suggest had Berry not broken Paul Wright’s leg on his derby debut we wouldn’t have been hearing as much from them...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    you win derbies with guts and desire, and sometimes moments of great skill. The law of averages has nothing to do with it.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm not looking back to last season's Cup win against them or even the success of the 2016 season, I'm looking at Sunday's game in isolation. Those previous games, although wonderful at the time, have no bearing on this one coming up. We need to be full focused with no distractions. If we are, we can do it.

First Team Breakthrough
    They've lost Walker and Laugherty who will be hard to replace, i predict a comfortable win

Since they went 2 up (and then they ****** it up), they've only scored against us once in the last 5 and a half matches and that was from a dodgy Goncalves penalty. Daz got the slightest touch on the ball and the contact on Goncalves was outside the box as well, plus they only just managed to score it as Rocky saved it twice before Goncalves bundled it into the net.

Not only that, they've only had 10 shots on target in those 5 and a half games. In the 1st half of the 2-2 game the goals were the only shots on target so it's 12 on target in 6 games. Which is why they're desperate to bring in attacking players before Sunday.

Is Naismith going to make a difference all by himself? Surely they'll need to bring in someone decent to play in place of Stockton/Goncalves? Time is running out to do that.

Their team has so far weakened since the last time we played with Walker away and Lavatory out. Naismith will be good enough in this league but won't be match fit. The pitch plays into their favour but I'm confident we will battle, and we have the quality to win the game.

Testimonial Due

The players 100% we have better players & 100% a better manager.

Take off any green tinted specs and ask would you rather have the Hibs squad/manager or the Hearts squad/manager ??

Berra will get what it's about for Hearts but that's about it.

We would be spewing if we were facing a Bartley,McGinn,McGregor,Stokes,McGeouch to name a few every single one of they players gets what it means.

The last few derby's at Tyni i called a draw, This time i fancy us to give them a wee beaten 3-0 Hibs.

We recently seem to come out in derby's flying and if we can just nick that goal in the first 10 minutes Hearts will crumble there game plan out the window and we have shown against teams like Celtic and Rangers this season what can happen when teams come out and try attack us. We are due a win at Tyncastle and we are due them a good skelping and its happening on Sunday. GGTTH!

What is there to be scared off? the showed their hand in the game last month with their "Style" of football. Does anyone expect them to line up differently?

If our forward players can learn the offside rule, we'll rip them to pieces.

Once again though, ALL the pressure is on THEM!

GreenNWhiteArmy I don't think they can change only difference will be instead of lumping it up Lafferty it might go down the wings to Naismith nothing to worry about IMO its just about breaking there defense

Quote Originally Posted by EH54 View Post
    The last few derby's at Tyni i called a draw, This time i fancy us to give them a wee beaten 3-0 Hibs.

We recently seem to come out in derby's flying and if we can just nick that goal in the first 10 minutes Hearts will crumble there game plan out the window and we have shown against teams like Celtic and Rangers this season what can happen when teams come out and try attack us. We are due a win at Tyncastle and we are due them a good skelping and its happening on Sunday. GGTTH!
    Hope you are right but a defence that hasn't conceded for so long is going to be difficult to breach three times ,and we haven't scored three times very often
    Will settle for any win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    All we need is the media to whip up this unbeaten run like they have the last few games and that will get to them.

Its not easy walking out to face someone/another team when you know you haven't beaten them in a while.

I'll take beating them in a replay and 11 in a row.

We should be looking to beat Hearts every time we play them. I expect us to knock them out the cup yet again. It wont be easy on Sunday but if we haven't progressed by full time I'll be dissapointed. We shouldn't settle for a replay.

Left by mutual consent!
    As long as we have a ref and a couple of linesmen up to the task I don't have any worries, we are the better team.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    We should be looking to beat Hearts every time we play them. I expect us to knock them out the cup yet again. It wont be easy on Sunday but if we haven't progressed by full time I'll be dissapointed. We shouldn't settle for a replay.
    We should be looking to beat every team we play, we all know it isn't easy, but every team has a Achilles Heel, even us, but if you play to win you are more likely to succeed than looking to play for a draw!!!!!

First Team Regular EastCalderHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    They are pinning all their hopes on a guy who can't get into the squad for a team sitting in the bottom half of the English 2nd tier.

It will be a tough game but I'm confident.
    cant wait to get on sickpack on sunday when we pump them

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but the last 4 Scottish Cup games have been 2 draws and 2 wins have they not?

Left by mutual consent!
    We're going into this one unbeaten in nine derbies and still have most of the players who've contributed to this amazing run playing on Sunday. We've every right to be confident going into this one and the pressure is undoubtedly once again on the yams to prevent us extending our unbeaten run to ten.

Mon the Cabbage!!!