hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swanson

It's a good point people make. I myself am delighted that the background structure of the club is strong. Recruitment people are in place. But if we take our recent signings. Swanson, slivka, big Dave. No where near good enough. For a tight ship which most clubs are ran like in Scotland. Three players of their contribution so far is no where near enough.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I'd be gutted if he went after such a short time. I wasn't that keen on signing him purely down to the fact that too often when people sign for their boyhood heroes it just doesn't work out, and he's had a real hit and miss career prior to joining us anyway, but nothing would have made me happier that to have been proven wrong and be made to look daft on here (again!).

Would like him to kick on now he's fit and focused and show what he can do in the second half of the season, if he's not producing the goods come summer then cut our losses.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a good point people make. I myself am delighted that the background structure of the club is strong. Recruitment people are in place. But if we take our recent signings. Swanson, slivka, big Dave. No where near good enough. For a tight ship which most clubs are ran like in Scotland. Three players of their contribution so far is no where near enough.
    Think you're being harsh on Slivka, he's got a role to play the problem is he's being kept out of the squad by two very good players in McGinn and McGeough. We may be without one, or indeed both of them come Feb or next Aug and he'll be settled and ready to step up. He's done his chances no harm when he has pulled on the Hibs shirt.

He needs to stay he has potential.to unlock defences, if fit he will be an asset but on the other hand if he.is going on loan to get him off the wage bill who we bring in has to be guaranteed to be an improvement on Danny ....are our finances.that.tight that its a one in and one out ? Where has all the extra crowd numbers cash gone from august til noq ? 2.5 - 3 k on home gates ? In fact more than that ?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Thank goodness we didn't sign Maulary Martin.

Now he really is a dud signing.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Think you're being harsh on Slivka, he's got a role to play the problem is he's being kept out of the squad by two very good players in McGinn and McGeough. We may be without one, or indeed both of them come Feb or next Aug and he'll be settled and ready to step up. He's done his chances no harm when he has pulled on the Hibs shirt.
    Yup agree with that. I've seen enough of Slivka to suggest he's an asset. Swanson and Big Dave not so much.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    He needs to stay he has potential.to unlock defences, if fit he will be an asset but on the other hand if he.is going on loan to get him off the wage bill who we bring in has to be guaranteed to be an improvement on Danny ....are our finances.that.tight that its a one in and one out ? Where has all the extra crowd numbers cash gone from august til noq ? 2.5 - 3 k on home gates ? In fact more than that ?
    Paying for the loss made in the previous year?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    I haven’t seen him play enough to know if he’s a good player but based on his contribution to the team so far I wouldn’t miss him at all if he left.

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    Yeah, I’d be happy to get him off the wage bill. Granted he’s had a stressful time of it recently, but we all go through stuff and have to get on with it. Waste of money at the moment, and doesn’t cut the figure of someone playing for his boyhood heroes.
    Agree. Yes, he's had issues to deal with and I guess none of us will really know how much it has affected him long term, however, life throws all sorts of crap at you and at some point you have to dust yourself down and crack on. Looks unfit to me and the episode in Portugal was a lack of respect for his Manager, us the fans but most importantly a lack of respect for his team-mates. If he goes then I genuinely wish him all the best, however, I would rather we have a player who is absolutely committed to the cause.

Left by mutual consent!
    I still think Danny can make a valuable contribution when he knuckles down and gets on with it. He's a very skillful player with an eye for goal when in form. Don't think we should write him off just yet.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post

We’ve literally just added two players to the squad without anyone leaving.

Danny coming back fully fit (at last), knowing he's in the last chance saloon and with a point to prove could be a very powerful asset during the second half of the season.

Blog Entries
    I posted on another thread, I'll abbreviate it here. Danny has started 3 league games for Hibs. His start vs Killie was his 1st for over 4 months. It's ridiculous to make a forensic judgement on his performances after 3 games. I hope & expect Danny to be a big player for us in the 2nd half of the season.

First Team Regular
    Nice to see quite a few Hibs fans are so compassionate NOT .Give the guy a break for goodness sake

What sort of second half of the season did he have at Saints?

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Tbh if Swanson wasn’t a dyed in the wool Hibby . Not many on here would be fussed if he went .
    I know his circumstances have obviously affected him but he had been a shadow of the player he was at Saints .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Not seen as much of him as we would have liked due to injuries and obviously his personal problems off the park. He's not first team atm but I think theres a player in there so I wouldn't like to see him go completely. Maybe a wee loan move to the end of the season would be a good thing. Get some game time and keep his fitness up then come back to us in the summer and stake a claim for a place in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Tbh if Swanson wasn’t a dyed in the wool Hibby . Not many on here would be fussed if he went .
    I know his circumstances have obviously affected him but he had been a shadow of the player he was at Saints .
    Nothing to do with the fact he's a die in the wool hibs fan. What difference does that really make? If he's good enough hes good enough, if he's not then i'm no more sad to see him leave than anybody else who isn't good enough. I want him to stay (even if it does mean a quick loan spell out first) because I genuinely think that when fit he could be a big player for us.

Blog Entries
    Was he a shadow of the player in the whole 3 league games he's played?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Was he a shadow of the player in the whole 3 league games he's played?
    Exactly, he was decent against Killie, and his first league game against Partick at the beginning of the season he played well, even setting up our first goal.

He's not played enough for anyone to form a balanced opinion on him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Exactly, he was decent against Killie, and his first league game against Partick at the beginning of the season he played well, even setting up our first goal.

He's not played enough for anyone to form a balanced opinion on him.
    He was poor against Killie and missed a sitter. I'm for giving him a good crack at the whip mind.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    He was poor against Killie and missed a sitter. I'm for giving him a good crack at the whip mind.
    Certainly wasnt poor should probably have scored but thought he looked quite sharp and linked up well before tiring second half.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Certainly wasnt poor should probably have scored but thought he looked quite sharp and linked up well before tiring second half.
    I expect better from him tbh. He's not up to the standard of player we should be looking at getting from him performance wise, that's why I would say poor.

He's a shaddow of the former dyed in the wool Hears fan he claimed to be

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    I saw more than enough in 45 minutes v Killie to see Danny will be an asset to have at Hibs for the rest of the season. Would be very foolish to send him to Saints in my opinion - strengthens an opponent going for top 6 and weakens our creative area in midfield. He's a top player in this league.
    Good sensible post mate - saved me writing that. The message board myth that we lose an acknowledged SPL player to free a wage for a phantom January signing always makes me smile.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I posted on another thread, I'll abbreviate it here. Danny has started 3 league games for Hibs. His start vs Killie was his 1st for over 4 months. It's ridiculous to make a forensic judgement on his performances after 3 games. I hope & expect Danny to be a big player for us in the 2nd half of the season.
    I'm going to make a forensic judgement based on that Killie game. He looked very decent considering the lack of games, lively but not match fit or even fit and gave us something that no-one else in the squad gives us imo a link between midfield and attack(perhaps with the exception of Fraser Murray who gets less game time than Swanson). His movement is also very good although I'd want it a bit more often.

I was a bit Meh when he signed because he never scored many more goals from open play than McGinn did the season before this. I was desperate for a goal scoring midfielder and I didn't think he would be a 10 goal a season player.

After watching his game time so far he just looks a bit short of sharpness or concentration and his fitness levels are not good enough. That could be for a whole load of reasons but if he wants to stay and kick on at Hibs I think he needs to get back to being a 80-90 minute player because he certainly has some quality about his play and he is the type of player we are crying out for.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    Yeah, I’d be happy to get him off the wage bill. Granted he’s had a stressful time of it recently, but we all go through stuff and have to get on with it. Waste of money at the moment, and doesn’t cut the figure of someone playing for his boyhood heroes.
    Exactly right.

Major disappointment so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Exactly right.

Major disappointment so far.
    It is disappointing... but if he's fallen foul of the manager's expectations for whatever reason we have to respect that.It will not have happened for no reason.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I'm not going to judge as I think he's had limited opportunities in a Hibs jersey to prove his worth. He may have been trying TOO hard initially and when he failed to make a significant impact, his confidence suffered.

It's just a bit early to be offloading the guy in my book.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    I'm not going to judge as I think he's had limited opportunities in a Hibs jersey to prove his worth. He may have been trying TOO hard initially and when he failed to make a significant impact, his confidence suffered.

It's just a bit early to be offloading the guy in my book.
    Maybe, but Lennon has stated he may need to trim the squad to bring in new faces and to do that it would have to be a player wanted by someone else.

Swanson’s Hibs career could kick on this year or next but at the moment it hasn’t really got going and if he could be swapped for somebody who hits the ground running at Hibs it would be good business.

I wouldn’t be troubled by either decision.