hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Sanchez: £35 miliion for a player who can move for free in the summer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42687789

The fact that Man U are prepared to pay such a sum this window for a player who will be out of contract at the end of the season can only, I assume, be seen as a worthwhile investment to secure Champions League football?! The sums being thrown around in English football really are hideous and have completely turned me off watching any football in the EPL. Scottish football may be pretty average but at least you can still feel some sort of connection to your club.

2. Log in to remove the advert

It's silly money but it'll be partly because he is still available to play in the FA Cup and Champions League. There will also be an element of paying it to stop him having lots of options in the summer and becoming more difficult to sign him.

Saying all that, Sanchez is quite within his rights to refuse to move and sit tight for 5 months, if he has set his mind on Man City or someone else.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's silly money but it'll be partly because he is still available to play in the FA Cup and Champions League. There will also be an element of paying it to stop him having lots of options in the summer and becoming more difficult to sign him.

Saying all that, Sanchez is quite within his rights to refuse to move and sit tight for 5 months, if he has set his mind on Man City or someone else.

Think that's the most obvious reason for signing him now.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    I don't feel a connection to Scottish footballers any more or less than English ones on the real silly money. They all operate in a different realm from the rest of us working normal jobs.

In the current climate the money they are willing to pay for him seems normal, theres not really any going back so continuing to moan about it doesn't get you anywhere. Football has already gone down this slippery slope and there is no way back up it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Biggest club in the world sign one of the worlds best. Money is no option.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42687789

The fact that Man U are prepared to pay such a sum this window for a player who will be out of contract at the end of the season can only, I assume, be seen as a worthwhile investment to secure Champions League football?! The sums being thrown around in English football really are hideous and have completely turned me off watching any football in the EPL. Scottish football may be pretty average but at least you can still feel some sort of connection to your club.
    Spot on, I'm in that boat too, watched match of the day twice this season, all that money just makes it soulless for me, at least our football is a bit more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post

He has lots of options now he can speak to anyone he wants in the last 6 month of his contract. The only problem for him is he has no insurance policy should he pick up an injury so it is better foe him to sign a contract now.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Biggest club in the world sign one of the worlds best. Money is no option.
    29 years old.

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Player power, agents, huge TV money, non footballing owners, China and massive costs if you fail to reach top 4. In Man United's case, for example, its written into sponsors contracts. So what looks crazy makes some sense. Mourinho has them second but is getting pelters from the media and crazy fans.

Not pretty but the transfer fees are already well over any sensible debate. Sadly thats the reality unless the TV money stops.

Next week will have something as daft. And who is more stupid - Man United or Arsenal?

@hibs.net private member
    If United don't pay up the £35 million, they risk having to try to convince him to sign in the summer when they might not even have Champions League football the following season. I'd imagine he'll be going to City if he doesn't move this month.

World class player for 35 million? Absolute bargain

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Exactly.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    If he had 4 years left on his contract he's a £100m plus player, i'd wait until the summer if i was him, and take the £50m signing on fee and £400-500k a week wages.

Greedy, you bet, but why not?

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

Sure I heard on SSN earlier today that of the £35m fee, £5m will go to agent. Scandalous!!

Having said that, tying up a top class player for 2-4 years at that price is probably a “bargain” in the EPL. SSN also reporting that Man City only prepared to pay £20m now.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Sure I heard on SSN earlier today that of the £35m fee, £5m will go to agent. Scandalous!!

Having said that, tying up a top class player for 2-4 years at that price is probably a “bargain” in the EPL. SSN also reporting that Man City only prepared to pay £20m now.
    Can’t blame the agent. If clubs are now willing to pay silly money agents will always get a % of that deal. Bigger the deal bigger the cut!

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Can’t blame the agent. If clubs are now willing to pay silly money agents will always get a % of that deal. Bigger the deal bigger the cut!
    Less than 15% of the fee - really not scandalous at all........

They were talking about this on MOTD2 yesterday. Ozil and Wilshire could be away pretty soon too. That amounts to approx. £150 million that Arsenal could end up not getting. But sadly, the real problem is Wenger. Maybe he thought he could persuade these players to stay? That team, without those players, looks really average, and as far as Wenger's situation goes, it's highly unusual to have a situation where the employee dictates the terms of employment rather than the owners. They need a new manager, and I hate saying that, because I remember watching the 'Invincibles' go through the season unbeaten- 1 of the best teams I've ever seen in British football.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Suppose my real point of issue is that it’s the agents who have, over the years, engineered these silly money transfer fees and to a great extent have their own interests at heart first, rather than the players. They are responsible for all these millions being spent, just as much as Sky & now BT Sport have with their ludicrous financial support of the English leagues. That’s the real scandal. It’ll all fall down one day.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    They were talking about this on MOTD2 yesterday. Ozil and Wilshire could be away pretty soon too. That amounts to approx. £150 million that Arsenal could end up not getting. But sadly, the real problem is Wenger. Maybe he thought he could persuade these players to stay? That team, without those players, looks really average, and as far as Wenger's situation goes, it's highly unusual to have a situation where the employee dictates the terms of employment rather than the owners. They need a new manager, and I hate saying that, because I remember watching the 'Invincibles' go through the season unbeaten- 1 of the best teams I've ever seen in British football.
    I'm sure that a Sanchez move was on in the last window but fell through because because Thomas Lemar, the player Wenger wanted to replace him with, wouldn't come despite Monaco accepting Arsenal's offer.

I think at least some of the time there will be a domino effect, particularly at the level of attacking players of that stature, where the market is finite.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    How does having lots of money equate to souless?

Nothing wrong with the EPL. I get to see world class players and some quality games.

I really don’t get, or believe folk when they say they’d rather watch St Mirren on Alba! If that’s the case you’re missing out on some cracking football.

The money paid now is irrelevant. Most top players will soon go for 100m +.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Suppose my real point of issue is that it’s the agents who have, over the years, engineered these silly money transfer fees and to a great extent have their own interests at heart first, rather than the players. They are responsible for all these millions being spent, just as much as Sky & now BT Sport have with their ludicrous financial support of the English leagues. That’s the real scandal. It’ll all fall down one day.
    I agree, the money from Sky etc will one day stop! Until then everyone will try get rich from it. Unreal the money that’s out there just now really is!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Nothing wrong with the EPL. I get to see world class players and some quality games.

I really don’t get, or believe folk when they say they’d rather watch St Mirren on Alba! If that’s the case you’re missing out on some cracking football.

Are you really missing out on cracking football though? I'd say the majority of Premiership football could bore you to tears, especially the games between the big sides. Obviously there's some exceptions, such as the Liverpool game last night, but a lot of it is absolutely tedious and games between the bottom end teams are atrocious.

As for world class players, there's no more than 4 or 5 in that entire league.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Because it's so overblown, it's so much more corporate than our game up here, billionaires play toys. Obviously there are world class players and amazing games played, but over the last couple of seasons, for me, I've just really been paying attention to Scottish football.

I can honestly say, if the Dundee derby was on TV the same time as the Manchester derby, and I had to choose, It's the Dundee one all day long for me, maybe not a few years ago though.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Manchester C no longer interested in Sanchez. His meagre £400,000 a week demand apparently too high.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Are you really missing out on cracking football though? I'd say the majority of Premiership football could bore you to tears, especially the games between the big sides. Obviously there's some exceptions, such as the Liverpool game last night, but a lot of it is absolutely tedious and games between the bottom end teams are atrocious.

Don't be ridiculous, have a look at the teamsheets for the top four.

Premier League was a bit dull for a few years but I think this season has had some cracking games so far, few very exciting teams to watch on their day. Think City and Liverpool will go far in the CL.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Thing is, if a lot of the top players in the EPL played for Barca or Real then everyone would say they were world class!!

If there’s a live SPFL game I’ll watch that over the EPL every time but other than that I’ll watch an English game if it’s on.

I can barely stomach watching Hibs on Alba let alone some lower league game!

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

That is nonsense. Ozil, Sanchez, De Gea, Pogba, Silva, De Bruyne, Aguero, Salah, Mane, Kane, Hazard, Azipilicueta, Courtious are all world class along with many top prospects like Sane, Martial, Sterling and Alli

Games between the big sides have been good this season, Arsenal 3 - 3 Liverpool
    Arsenal 2 - 2 Chelsea
    Liverpool 4 - 3 City
    Arsenal 1 - 3 United
    City 5 - 0 Liverpool
    Spurs 4 - 1 Liverpool

I don’t think that City really wanted to sign him in this window in the first place. When they failed inter last window, .the plan was always to hope to get him in the Summer on a free. There was concern about disrupting the squad who were doing pretty well without him. Those with long memories may recall when Rodney Marsh signed for City in the early 1970s and arguable cost City the League title.

Then with the deteriorating relationship between Sanchez and his Arsenal team mates coupled with the injury to Gabriel de Jesus pushed City into making a bid in case he moved elsewhere.

Since the injury of Jesus is not as bad as first feared and the astronomical sums mentioned of £30 million plus another £5 million for the agent and wages being demanded killed off the interest. I suspect that if the current moves break down, City may think again in the Summer.