hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just reading Archie Macpherson's biography of Jock Stein, and this is recounted. Apparently the chairman (Harry Swan according to Macpherson) got the charges dropped and gave the season ticket on the grounds that at least the spectator knew what he was doing with the ball, unlike some of the players. The manager took that as a hint that his days were numbered, resigned, and they brought Jock Stein in to replace him.

It seems to have been one of the most effective single kicks of the ball in Hibs history!
    I was pretty sure this happened during Hart's time as chairman, but it was a long time ago, so could be wrong. Harry Swan stepped down in '63 - I thought it would've been after that, but not while Harrower was chairman (he was there until '70).
    MacPherson's book is excellent (I've got it too) but I would certainly dispute his version of the incident. The guy was on the lower section of the East when he picked up the ball and started his run, went across the path and up on to the high terracing before kicking the ball clean out the ground.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Thompson?
    No, Thomson

I remember being at Ibrox a few years back when they wheeled out one of their former players at half time to draw the raffle. I can’t remember who he was(pretty old) but they were reading out some of his achievements one of which that he’d scored 160 goals. With perfect timing, the Hibby behind me comments “160 goals? he must have been their penalty taker”.

Also, a trip to Pittodrie in about 85 saw one of our party being denied access to the ground for being too drunk. Just before the game starts we see him limping around the pitch being helped by a policeman. He then gets helped over the wall at the Beach End, turns round to see if the policeman is still looking, sees he isn’t and then runs up the stairs. Told us he had told the police he wasn’t drunk but had a limp that made him look drunk -I’m sure he got in for nowt too. Had us laughing all the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    There was a mouse at the side of the pitch in the Leverkusen v Bayern Munich match last night. The camera focused in on it for a while. It didn't seem at all bothered by all the noise or the crowd. It is quite unusual to see wildlife at a football match these days... outwith Ibrox or Tynecastle that is.
    Apart from the flipping seagulls of course!

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Did he not run off the pitch and climb up the roof of the stand?

Hibs were the first and last away team to play a competitive match on that pitch IIRC

Nope, he was marched off.

https://www.snsgroup.co.uk/dunfermli...nt/765975.html

I was at an Aberdeen v huns game where the dons humped them 5-1 or something like that, a huns fan was huckled by 2 polis and was being dragged past the dons fans, when one of them jumped the wall,ran over and lamped the hun then ran back into the dons end.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    Ouch.

Would you really want to put that hat back on your head?
    Last edited by iwasthere1972; 14-01-2018 at 02:46 PM.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Ouch.

Would you really want to put that hat back on your head?
    Is a policemen allowed to cock his hat? Just wonderin' like.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibees62
    Sorry if already said but here goes

At a pre season friendly during the warm up, the announcer says would the owner of vehicle registration number ......... please return to it as it is blocking the car park entrance.

Off the pitch comes Barry Lavety shouts to us "That's my car!"

Back in the days of Pie man at hearts threatening to move them to Murrayfield, hearts came to ER and someone from the east terracing threw a rugby ball at Craig Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Back in the days of Pie man at hearts threatening to move them to Murrayfield, hearts came to ER and someone from the east terracing threw a rugby ball at Craig Gordon
    That must be four times that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    That must be four times that happened.
    lol, just read the rest of the thread. Too slow!

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Stevenson hitting the seagull with the ball at Dunfermline was quite funny.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    That was booth but it was funny

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Did you know Hibs have signed Maclaren?

Must have been early 80s, went for a pie, took a bite out right away and complained to the old dear it was cold.
    Her reply.....well it’s either hot pies or that scoreboard son :) priceless.

I think for me it was when Hearts were really looking like they were moving to Murrayfield permanently - during a derby, Craig Gordon was lining up a free kick in front of the East when someone launched a rugby ball which hit the football just before Gordon took the kick. A truly excellent throw from that fan 😂

Edit: see it’s been mentioned one million times already!!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    Ivan Sproule skinning 4 Gretna players, rounding the keeper only to put the ball clear over the crossbar

Even the home fans cheered that
    That was v Arbroath at 6-0 up. I remember it as I had a fiver on 7-0!

It was still funny I must admit. How he missed I’ll never know!

The best one has to be one of the derbys when the story broke about Hearts possibly having to move to Murrayfield, Craig Gordon was lining up a free kick and someone threw a rugby ball onto the pitch! The timing was perfect. What a hoot.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    One under par?

Left by mutual consent!
    Did he not run off the pitch and climb up the roof of the stand?

Hibs were the first and last away team to play a competitive match on that pitch IIRC
    First game I'm sure we lost, I was there. Jean Pierre Papin randomly opened the new pitch with ribbons etc.

@hibs.net private member happiehibbie's Avatar
    Has to be Steve Fulton of Hearts getting booked for being Ugly

Hibs fans give him pelters for being ugly Fulton then smiles and uses his hand in gesture to say "me UGLY" Lino flags to ref, Ref book him the Hibs fan boo the ref ! within 60 seconds fans chant booked for being ugly ! Fulton shakes his head and walks on
    Brilliant !

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    That was v Arbroath at 6-0 up. I remember it as I had a fiver on 7-0!

It was still funny I must admit. How he missed I’ll never know!
    Strange because I thought it was against Dundee United. Maybe Ivan was a serial miss a sitter player.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    My favourite took about 20 years to manifest. Motherwell were beating Hibs in a midweek match at ER when the ref abandoned the match after about 20mins due to fog. Well keeper that night was Stuart Rennie who I worked with for a number of years who told me he was on the pitch for another 5 to 10 mins thinking they were dominating before someone in their dressing room noticed he wasn't there.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Stuart Rennie, now there was a character. Always a laugh when he played with us on a Wednesday evening

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    I was pretty sure this happened during Hart's time as chairman, but it was a long time ago, so could be wrong. Harry Swan stepped down in '63 - I thought it would've been after that, but not while Harrower was chairman (he was there until '70).
    MacPherson's book is excellent (I've got it too) but I would certainly dispute his version of the incident. The guy was on the lower section of the East when he picked up the ball and started his run, went across the path and up on to the high terracing before kicking the ball clean out the ground.
    Positive it was under Harrower.Think we were down 0 2 at time of incident.Done the relegation escape at end of that season.Another similar incident was during Hertz almost double season. My mate chored the ba during the 0 0 game at easter road ,stuck it up the back of my coat😂and we jyst sauntered out with it at end of the game.Was the only point we took from them that season and if we had not they would have won the title.Mates dead now but his mrs still has the ba ,has prominent place in his old Hibs Room in the Pleasance.

@hibs.net private member
    The 3-0 game against the old club in the Scottish cup At half time the bookies were offering 100-1 on Hibs winning 3-0. Late in the game Killen was clean through with goalie to beat. Guy behind me is screaming miss you ****. Had a fiver on correct score. The weirdest thing ever though was the Zaire guy at the free kick.

Rangers on Boxing Day at Easter Road, mid 80’s, they have a fan dressed as Santa arrested in the Dunbar end and frogmarched up the side of the pitch whilst sticking the fingers up at the Hibs fans - Merry Xmas....

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    I remember last match of the season at ER back in the sauzee/latapy era and the players are doing a lap and clapping the fans at the end. Two young lads about 10 or 12 are leaning over the fence and getting autographs. most of the players move on and Dirk Lehmann is running past, the two lads start shouting "Dirk, Dirk, Dirk, Dirk come here Dirk, Dirk Come here !" eventually he jogs over to sign the book but one of the lads says." No you Dirk, Can you go and get me Franck Sauzee's autograph" The look on Dirk's face was a picture, but good as gold he ran 40 yards to Franck, got his autograph and ran back with the book !

Superb response to this thread... I've been in stitches at times with some of these tales - you don't get this kind of stuff on Soccer Saturday/Soccer Am, and what have yer... Proper football stories.
    Please keep them coming

Willie Johnston in a pre season friendly against Elgin City. He told the linesman he was coming on who duly signaled for the substitution. Linesman turns around and Johnston is back sitting on the bench laughing and the linesman looking like an eejit. A still laughing Johnston then apologised to the linesman and promised that just for him he would nutmeg the first player he came up against and he did exactly that.......

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    The best one has to be one of the derbys when the story broke about Hearts possibly having to move to Murrayfield, Craig Gordon was lining up a free kick and someone threw a rugby ball onto the pitch! The timing was perfect. What a hoot.
    Agree with this, was hilarious! For me it’s probably the time that we were playing Hearts at Easter Road round about the time they were rumoured to be moving to Murrayfield.

Craig Gordon went over towards the East to take a free kick and someone chucked a rugby ball onto the pitch! The timing was spot on and we all laughed and embraced. Even Fulton found it funny himself!