hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Funniest moment you've seen at the match

Being new to this forum, apologies if a similar post has been put on here before, but with it still being the mid-season break and football being light on the Easter Road ground, I was just wondering...

We've all suffered endless hours of crap football, shivering in the cold and questioning your own sanity as your desire only for a return to the pub and a warm fire as another goal is conceded only deepens... but we all must agree that what makes going to the match so special is not necessarily what happens on the pitch but the events that take place off it, either involving yourself or others, that help make certain games stand out from the rest...

So, what's the funniest thing you've seen when going to the match, off the pitch, that you remember... and still laugh about now...
    Last edited by McrHibee; 13-01-2018 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McrHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Being new to this forum, apologies if a similar post has been put on here before, but with it still being the mid-season break and football being light on the Easter Road ground, I was just wondering...

We've all suffered endless hours of crap football, shivering in the cold and questioning your own sanity as your desire only a return to the pub and a warm fire as another goal is conceded only deepens... but we all must agree that what makes going to the match so special is not necessarily what happens on the pitch but the events that take place off it, either involving yourself or others, that help make certain games stand out from the rest...

So, what's the funniest thing you've seen when going to the match, off the pitch, that you remember... and still laugh about now...

james Keatings scoring and tries to slide on his knees to salute the fans. But it goes wrong and he almost does a somersault. Then SJM takes the piss out of him. Classic

@hibs.net private member cheltenhamhibee's Avatar
    I always used to wear my Hibs tops when i watched Cheltenham and gave Andy Kirk pelters every time he played against Cheltenham for Boston, Northampton & Yeovil,never saw many ex jambos down south years ago, I always stand just behind the goal and every time he was within earshot he got both barrels, and to his credit he did take it well, maybe he thought it was just banter !! a few years later I was up at wedding in Dunfermline and decided to take in a game, so I wore my Cheltenham top and went in with the away fans (can't remember who) and proceeded to give him heaps more, the words '' Kirk, you're still a dirty jambo b******d" came out as he was stood by the near post, he turned round and saw me in the Cheltenham top, his face was a picture, his reply "Aw ffs can you no leave me in peace "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE8yEfn2rwI

This up there as well, fortunately I never got interviewed but a few of the mates I went with did, one who shall remain nameless was absolutely blootered !!! never thought that it would be aired , best away match ever for me, some craic

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheltenhamhibee View Post

This up there as well, fortunately I never got interviewed but a few of the mates I went with did, one who shall remain nameless was absolutely blootered !!! never thought that it would be aired , best away match ever for me, some craic
    Recognise a few faces there that sit or have sat around me in the East,,,,must have been fair roasting there as the lads were fairly taking on the fluids

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Recognise a few faces there that sit or have sat around me in the East,,,,must have been fair roasting there as the lads were fairly taking on the fluids
    Oh it was awfy warm, needed to keep well hydrated, cracking bunch of lads, was a fantastic trip, one of them has a load of photos somewhere on a disc , not sure if they'll be able to find them but would love to see them all again

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheltenhamhibee View Post

That was some trip.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    That was some trip.
    The best for me (outside a certain day in May'16)

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    That was some trip.

How old were you? 9, 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Penicuik Hibee View Post
    james Keatings scoring and tries to slide on his knees to salute the fans. But it goes wrong and he almost does a somersault. Then SJM takes the piss out of him. Classic
    I think Keats tried to style it out as if nothing had gone wrong didn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by McrHibee View Post

We've all suffered endless hours of crap football, shivering in the cold and questioning your own sanity as your desire only for a return to the pub and a warm fire as another goal is conceded only deepens... but we all must agree that what makes going to the match so special is not necessarily what happens on the pitch but the events that take place off it, either involving yourself or others, that help make certain games stand out from the rest...

1-1 away to Dunfermline earlier this year, Grant Holt came on with about 10 minutes to go. The Dunfermline fans were chanting get your tits out for the lads. Holt lifted his top, licked his finger and provocatively circled it around his nipple and got a huge cheer from the fans who had been chanting at him.
    Last edited by 007; 13-01-2018 at 02:08 AM.

Not so much off the pitch. A couple of seasons ago at Easter Road and I think it was against Queen of the South. Hibs score a last gasp goal to win the game 2-1 when suddenly a wee Hibs fan (could have only been about five year old) ran on the pitch at the FF end, gave the stewards the slip and ran the full length of the pitch before goading the away fans. A couple of minutes before that happened it looked like we were only getting a point so a win and the wee boy made me leave the ground with a smile on my face. Brilliant.

Artur boruc at ER.. What a day that was!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by OsloHibs View Post
    Artur boruc at ER.. What a day that was!
    Leaving his gloves on the pitch at full time 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Against Aberdeen in the 80s. Someone decided it would be a good idea for a man to drive the Sinclair C5 around the ground at half time. The guy got pelted with pies, bovril and all sorts as he made his way around with both sets of supporters having a go

At the hibs v hearts game at ER two young lads poss 8 or 9 yo lower ff, were shouting at Ally McCoist to acknowledge them, Ally gave them a smile & a thumbs up, both lads at the same time proceded to give him the middle finger 🖕🖕his face was priceless 😆

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    At the hibs v hearts game at ER two young lads poss 8 or 9 yo lower ff, were shouting at Ally McCoist to acknowledge them, Ally gave them a smile & a thumbs up, both lads at the same time proceded to give him the middle finger ����his face was priceless ��
    Strangely enough I was in the FF Lower that night and I do remember seeing Coisty giving the thumbs up. Didn't see the middle finger reply so just thought that Sally knew somebody in the crowd. Or maybe that he was a big Hibs fan on the quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Strangely enough I was in the FF Lower that night and I do remember seeing Coisty giving the thumbs up. Didn't see the middle finger reply so just thought that Sally knew somebody in the crowd. Or maybe that he was a big Hibs fan on the quiet.
    There were a few hibs fans giving him the thumbs up & he seemed to be lapping it up, until the young lads gave him the middle fingered salute anyway 😆

@hibs.net private member
    Way back in the mists of time (probably the 60s), we were playing Airdrie at ER. To say the football on offer was dire would be an understatement. The ball goes out of play and into the crowd near the front of the old East terracing. Whereupon a Hibs fan picks up the ball and runs all the way up to the very top of the high terracing, drops the ball onto his foot and wellies it out of the ground, to great applause from the suffering Hibees in attendance. If I remember correctly he was arrested for his trouble.
    I'm sure I read in the press days later, that the then chairman, Tom Hart, presented the guy with a season ticket for his actions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    Way back in the mists of time (probably the 60s), we were playing Airdrie at ER. To say the football on offer was dire would be an understatement. The ball goes out of play and into the crowd near the front of the old East terracing. Whereupon a Hibs fan picks up the ball and runs all the way up to the very top of the high terracing, drops the ball onto his foot and wellies it out of the ground, to great applause from the suffering Hibees in attendance. If I remember correctly he was arrested for his trouble.
    I'm sure I read in the press days later, that the then chairman, Tom Hart, presented the guy with a season ticket for his actions.
    I'm just reading Archie Macpherson's biography of Jock Stein, and this is recounted. Apparently the chairman (Harry Swan according to Macpherson) got the charges dropped and gave the season ticket on the grounds that at least the spectator knew what he was doing with the ball, unlike some of the players. The manager took that as a hint that his days were numbered, resigned, and they brought Jock Stein in to replace him.

It seems to have been one of the most effective single kicks of the ball in Hibs history!
    Last edited by Aim Here; 13-01-2018 at 10:42 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Vague memory back in the mists of time, Ally McMoist having returned to Scotland from Sunderland joined the now defunct Rangers. The Scottish rags started suggesting that he was being lined up for his first Scotland cap just before a match at Easter Road. McMoist makes a ridiculous mistake in front of the East Stand, and we instantly start chanting "Ally for Scotland, ha ha ha ha ha". To his credit, McMoist burst out laughing.

The night we beat Hearts 2 - 1 under Butcher I think it was ..... Outside the Loch Inn some of the more boisterous young lads were dancing on one of the tables when it gave way, Hibbies and beer bottles everywhere

On the field the day Paul Hartley was warming up for Hibs behind the goals, he didn't realise the ref had restarted the game with a drop ball which Hibs had kicked back to the opposition keeper ... he ran onto the park and booted the ball back up the pitch, the ref booked him and gave the opposition a free kick just outside our box

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I remember taking two lady visitors to a Hibs' v Aberdeen game at ER. When the East started singing "You're just sheep-sh****** b******s. I was asked to explain what they were singing. They said that it wasn't very nice saying that about the other team. Just then the Aberdeen supporters started singing "We know we're sheep-sh****** b******s".
    Timing is everything
    Last edited by snooky; 13-01-2018 at 11:40 AM.

One that sticks in my mind was Henry Smith preparing to take a goal kick with us giving it the big build up "Woooaaaa!"

He responded by cupping his ears (being Hibs fans, we didn't find this offensive, just upped the volume) and then launched the ball ..... straight out for a Hibs throw in.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    I'm just reading Archie Macpherson's biography of Jock Stein, and this is recounted. Apparently the chairman (Harry Swan according to Macpherson) got the charges dropped and gave the season ticket on the grounds that at least the spectator knew what he was doing with the ball, unlike some of the players. The manager took that as a hint that his days were numbered, resigned, and they brought Jock Stein in to replace him.

It seems to have been one of the most effective single kicks of the ball in Hibs history!
    I was pretty sure this happened during Hart's time as chairman, but it was a long time ago, so could be wrong. Harry Swan stepped down in '63 - I thought it would've been after that, but not while Harrower was chairman (he was there until '70).
    MacPherson's book is excellent (I've got it too) but I would certainly dispute his version of the incident. The guy was on the lower section of the East when he picked up the ball and started his run, went across the path and up on to the high terracing before kicking the ball clean out the ground.

I was pretty sure this happened during Hart's time as chairman, but it was a long time ago, so could be wrong. Harry Swan stepped down in '63 - I thought it would've been after that, but not while Harrower was chairman (he was there until '70).
    MacPherson's book is excellent (I've got it too) but I would certainly dispute his version of the incident. The guy was on the lower section of the East when he picked up the ball and started his run, went across the path and up on to the high terracing before kicking the ball clean out the ground.
    Positive it was under Harrower.Think we were down 0 2 at time of incident.Done the relegation escape at end of that season.Another similar incident was during Hertz almost double season. My mate chored the ba during the 0 0 game at easter road ,stuck it up the back of my coat😂and we jyst sauntered out with it at end of the game.Was the only point we took from them that season and if we had not they would have won the title.Mates dead now but his mrs still has the ba ,has prominent place in his old Hibs Room in the Pleasance.

I remember that. Did the boy not nash off with the ball and out the ground?

@hibs.net private member thebakerboy's Avatar
    Remember way back on the old high terracing on New Years Day and this old guy totally pie eyed with a bottle of whiskey in his hip pocket takes an a£$e over T%t fall down the steps and after several somersaults he gets up and bottle is still intact , my faither and I and loads of guys round us just about peed ourselves laughing.

Airdrie away back in the late 90's.. Freezing cold saturday.. !!

Can always remember a Hibby down near the front and he was shouting (something) at someone and his false teeth came flying out and landed on the pitch near a lassie steward who looked about 15..

she was in the horrors passing back the guy his false teeth.. got quite a few cheers that did..

Someone from the old east stand throwing a rugby ball on the park during a derby when Hearts were considering yet another move to Murrayfield. Craig Gordon picked the ball up and threw it rugby style back towards the touchline. Made me chuckle.