hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye, love him for the cup final but he’s a bit of a radge.
    Bang on mate.

Cup Final performance was outstanding.

However, that was 20 months ago and he's hardly shaken a leg since then. He needs a boot up the erky (preferably) or booted out of Easter Road (sadly, because there is a first class player hiding in his body).

No doubt though he'll get a starting place in the derby.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Good point. But Stokes has previous (which now apparently is proof that all the other rumours going around are true as well) so let's empty him and forget about Boyle (a fan favourite who works hard). Or we could let those that know the full details of the incident and the parts of those involved do what they're paid to do and handle it, move on and get prepared to beat Hearts on Sunday.. with our best players involved.

Stokes remains one of the best players we have in the squad... or have had in the squad in a few year for that matter. The desire to jump on his back at any given opportunity (and now want rid of him!!) by some is baffling!!

All opinions though.
    All three had previous before we signed them and Boyle's was with us. For all it was very amusing seeing Stokes and Boyler pop up in pubs for days after that glorious day I suspect most of us had went back to work and whilst celebrating in our minds we weren't knocking pints back every day. That worried me at the time and was one of the reasons I didn't really want Stokes to return.

Lennon will succeed or fail on the back of his signings and I dare say it's easy to see why he would sign the three players involved. They are all good players, Stokes is excellent at times and let's face it Lennon isn't exactly renowned as being whiter than white. I don't mind a bit of character in players and by the sounds of this it is more a ticking off than a serious disciplinary matter. Nothing has got out of hand under Lennon and it could be that the high profile of Lennon and Stokes has more to do with the story than the incident itself.

However, we have already had Ambrose swanning back when he fancied and the previous incident with Stokes and to be honest I think it may be time for Lennon to put a marker down, if he hasn't already. I'd rather he did it behind closed doors though as the previous incident with Stokes saw him coming out and saying we would get a reaction. We did he played more poorly than the previous games. If players are repeat offenders then use the proper disciplinary processes at the club and get rid of them on breach of contract if needs be. In the mean time offer "no comment" if journos come knocking, the players deserve to keep these breaches private and between their employer and themselves.

This thread could just about be moved to ‘other sports’ with the amount of tennis chat in it ;)

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This thread could just about be moved to ‘other sports’ with the amount of tennis chat in it ;)
    Quite right 'love'.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by IlDiavola View Post
    Bang on mate.

Cup Final performance was outstanding.

However, that was 20 months ago and he's hardly shaken a leg since then. He needs a boot up the erky (preferably) or booted out of Easter Road (sadly, because there is a first class player hiding in his body).

No doubt though he'll get a starting place in the derby.
    If he does then hopefully we see the class stokesy that can easily rip the yams a new one on best form.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Disappointment has already been expressed by a number of posters in Swanson's part in this and all have given the same reasons as to why.

To an extent Boyle has been given an easier ride for two reasons. 1) He has been a regular on the pitch this season and when he plays his attitude and commitment are first class. 2) His previous transgression, though one which would attract disapproval from any employer, happened in his own time not the clubs, it didn't disrupt the day to day workings of the team and didn't contradict a direct instruction from the manager.

The fact of the matter when it comes to Stokes is that setting aside his legendary status at this club, which will remain in place forever, no matter what he does in this latest spell here, he has underperformed on the park in a majority of his games. His contribution and goals return in games where players like him should be the difference is to be kind average .... I don't want lectures about his 'total' either .... for Hibs to ramp up goals against the opponents we had in our League cup group or from the penalty spot shouldn't require a player of Stokes undoubted talent, that's not why we bust a gut to bring him here.

Do you think fans of Man Utd or the club for that matter would think Romelu Lukaku was £75,000,000 well spent if his goals return in the league was 3 from open play and 3 penalties after 22 matches, do you think they would be impressed by an actual total of 11 goals if 4 had come in the League cup and 3 from the penalty spot .... I don't think so. For a club of our size and resources what we pay Stokes and what we are entitled to expect from him in return makes him our equivalent of Lukaku.

Stokes is at this club because a player like him playing to his potential should be the difference in games against Celtic, The Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen, not the difference against Partick Thistle, Ross County or Livingston. Apart from a decent performance against Celtic at Hampden before going off injured he has failed to make a dent in any of our 8 big league games this season and in fact his impetuousness at Ibrox could well have seen him sent off. He should be looking at his contribution seriously when he sees an untested kid with two goals against Celtic, one against Hearts ( even if the ref missed it ) and one against Kilmarnock from less than a quarter of the game time he has had.

The bottom line is this ..... I do not and never have had an agenda against Anthony Stokes, though I'm happy to admit I wasn't jumping around my living room when he signed because I was worried that the 'personal issues' which had kept him out of a Blackburn team that desperately needed goals would follow him to Easter Road. Not to mention the fact that most of his performances for us prior to the cup final hadn't exactly been inspirational. But I was more than willing to give him a chance, especially considering what he did for us in that final ... I love a hero as much as the next fitba fan.

So far my assessment of him is that though you could hardly call him a disaster he has failed to deliver what was hoped for from him. If Anthony Stokes wants to play the part of the 'flawed genius' that's fine by me .... but he should take a look at the history of football, folk are willing to tolerate the flaws only for so long as the genius part keeps pace with them and its clear from this thread and others that this latest episode, even if it was minor, has folk beginning to think that its time we read less about the flaws and saw a bit more of the genius, including folk who previously were quick to jump to his defence.
    Excellent post, and spot on.

More concerned about who is leaking things tbh.

Disappointment has already been expressed by a number of posters in Swanson's part in this and all have given the same reasons as to why.

To an extent Boyle has been given an easier ride for two reasons. 1) He has been a regular on the pitch this season and when he plays his attitude and commitment are first class. 2) His previous transgression, though one which would attract disapproval from any employer, happened in his own time not the clubs, it didn't disrupt the day to day workings of the team and didn't contradict a direct instruction from the manager.

The fact of the matter when it comes to Stokes is that setting aside his legendary status at this club, which will remain in place forever, no matter what he does in this latest spell here, he has underperformed on the park in a majority of his games. His contribution and goals return in games where players like him should be the difference is to be kind average .... I don't want lectures about his 'total' either .... for Hibs to ramp up goals against the opponents we had in our League cup group or from the penalty spot shouldn't require a player of Stokes undoubted talent, that's not why we bust a gut to bring him here.

Do you think fans of Man Utd or the club for that matter would think Romelu Lukaku was £75,000,000 well spent if his goals return in the league was 3 from open play and 3 penalties after 22 matches, do you think they would be impressed by an actual total of 11 goals if 4 had come in the League cup and 3 from the penalty spot .... I don't think so. For a club of our size and resources what we pay Stokes and what we are entitled to expect from him in return makes him our equivalent of Lukaku.

Stokes is at this club because a player like him playing to his potential should be the difference in games against Celtic, The Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen, not the difference against Partick Thistle, Ross County or Livingston. Apart from a decent performance against Celtic at Hampden before going off injured he has failed to make a dent in any of our 8 big league games this season and in fact his impetuousness at Ibrox could well have seen him sent off. He should be looking at his contribution seriously when he sees an untested kid with two goals against Celtic, one against Hearts ( even if the ref missed it ) and one against Kilmarnock from less than a quarter of the game time he has had.

The bottom line is this ..... I do not and never have had an agenda against Anthony Stokes, though I'm happy to admit I wasn't jumping around my living room when he signed because I was worried that the 'personal issues' which had kept him out of a Blackburn team that desperately needed goals would follow him to Easter Road. Not to mention the fact that most of his performances for us prior to the cup final hadn't exactly been inspirational. But I was more than willing to give him a chance, especially considering what he did for us in that final ... I love a hero as much as the next fitba fan.

So far my assessment of him is that though you could hardly call him a disaster he has failed to deliver what was hoped for from him. If Anthony Stokes wants to play the part of the 'flawed genius' that's fine by me .... but he should take a look at the history of football, folk are willing to tolerate the flaws only for so long as the genius part keeps pace with them and its clear from this thread and others that this latest episode, even if it was minor, has folk beginning to think that its time we read less about the flaws and saw a bit more of the genius, including folk who previously were quick to jump to his defence.
    Couldn't agree more with all of this. I don't think we should have signed him again. I also think NL continued decision to play him has ruined the team. Yes I know he has the odd good spell but that is not enough for someone so highly rated.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Would John McEnroe have played for Hibs or Hearts...?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Well balanced post.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Would John McEnroe have played for Hibs or Hearts...?
    You cannot be serious

A complete disregard for the club and fans. ....the folk who pay their wages. All 3 have contributed next to zero recently and should perhaps be focusing on making the most of a training camp in the sun rather than getting drunk. I suspect thats Swansons card marked now, Stokes needs to step up or step out and Ive always said Boyle would be a good player if he had a brain. Buck up guys or move on because Im not spending my hard earned cash following you if you cannot act accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    You cannot be serious
    Easy victory for Johhny Mac the hibby.

Comprehensive 7-0 in first set tie breaker, 6-2 second set win, and then opponent retired after being 2-0 up in their final chance and blowing their chance to end the dominance.

They’re now finished as a tennis player and have nothing to sing about, after Macenroe went on to win the tournament.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    A complete disregard for the club and fans. ....the folk who pay their wages. All 3 have contributed next to zero recently and should perhaps be focusing on making the most of a training camp in the sun rather than getting drunk. I suspect thats Swansons card marked now, Stokes needs to step up or step out and Ive always said Boyle would be a good player if he had a brain. Buck up guys or move on because Im not spending my hard earned cash following you if you cannot act accordingly.
    This

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    All three had previous before we signed them and Boyle's was with us. For all it was very amusing seeing Stokes and Boyler pop up in pubs for days after that glorious day I suspect most of us had went back to work and whilst celebrating in our minds we weren't knocking pints back every day. That worried me at the time and was one of the reasons I didn't really want Stokes to return.

Lennon will succeed or fail on the back of his signings and I dare say it's easy to see why he would sign the three players involved. They are all good players, Stokes is excellent at times and let's face it Lennon isn't exactly renowned as being whiter than white. I don't mind a bit of character in players and by the sounds of this it is more a ticking off than a serious disciplinary matter. Nothing has got out of hand under Lennon and it could be that the high profile of Lennon and Stokes has more to do with the story than the incident itself.

However, we have already had Ambrose swanning back when he fancied and the previous incident with Stokes and to be honest I think it may be time for Lennon to put a marker down, if he hasn't already. I'd rather he did it behind closed doors though as the previous incident with Stokes saw him coming out and saying we would get a reaction. We did he played more poorly than the previous games. If players are repeat offenders then use the proper disciplinary processes at the club and get rid of them on breach of contract if needs be. In the mean time offer "no comment" if journos come knocking, the players deserve to keep these breaches private and between their employer and themselves.
    You really worry too much Wookie .... get a grip FFS u sound like a proper drama queen the quote 'that worried me at the time.... seriously if it worried you enough at the time why didn't you voice your concerns on here at the time ?

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    And so say all of us and the chorus will grow unless they come up with the goods on Sunday.

Disappointing, when considering how the club have stood by Swanson and Boyle for reasons well documented. Their week in Dubai the previous week was surely their downtime to have a few beers. Swanson needs to get a grip soon.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    You really worry too much Wookie .... get a grip FFS u sound like a proper drama queen the quote 'that worried me at the time.... seriously if it worried you enough at the time why didn't you voice your concerns on here at the time ?

Nope it’s fair comment.

Again, these guys are professional sportsmen.

Let’s not compare them with elite tennis players. How about comparing them with swimmers or rowers or other athletes who earn a pittance from their sport but are smart enough to realise that success requires a few sacrifices.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Nope it’s fair comment.

Again, these guys are professional sportsmen.

Let’s not compare them with elite tennis players. How about comparing them with swimmers or rowers or other athletes who earn a pittance from their sport but are smart enough to realise that success requires a few sacrifices.
    What that he had their cards marked because they were celebrating the greatest win in our history ... behave

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    What that he had their cards marked because they were celebrating the greatest win in our history ... behave

Aye fine have it your way.

Paul Hanlon what a man. Never disrepected our club ever. I hate all this modern football mentality. Don't get it at all.

@hibs.net private member
    Not sure that is warranted. They are professional sportsmen who were out on the lash for days, if that isn't a signpost then I don't know what is. I'd be amazed if I didn't post that I wasn't convinced we should sign Stokes and I wasn't the only one that thought that way.

Quote Originally Posted by OsloHibs View Post
    Paul Hanlon what a man. Never disrepected our club ever. I hate all this modern football mentality. Don't get it at all.
    Not has Lewy in his 10 years at the club...the likes of him and Hanlon are a shining example to the rest onnhow professional footballers should be behaving themselves

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Och the players were let off the leash for a short time with a small band of the players getting a wee taste of the bevvy and having a couple too many, move on. They've had their punishment from the Gaffer and that's the end of it.

Lets smash the yams on Sunday and this trivia will seem like absolute nothingness.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Evidently it was the next day that was a day off.So at least they weren’t out on the lash with training next day.Still very unprofessional and childish.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    Och the players were let off the leash for a short time with a small band of the players getting a wee taste of the bevvy and having a couple too many, move on. They've had their punishment from the Gaffer and that's the end of it.

Lets smash the yams on Sunday and this trivia will seem like absolute nothingness.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Easy enough to say that though...wonder how the rest of the squad will feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post

Mon the Cabbage!!!

All 3 of them have had well documented issues off the pitch and the club have stood by them & gave support. It's very, very disappointing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by OsloHibs View Post
    All 3 of them have had well documented issues off the pitch and the club have stood by them & gave support. It's very, very disappointing.
    The only thing that will be very very disappointing for me is if we don't produce against the yams.

The boys have done a wee bit wrong and paid for it with a punishment from the Gaffer and time to move on from these nothing side issues.

Lets smash the yams on Sunday. Nothing else matters for me regarding football.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Left by mutual consent!
    3 - 1 to Hibs goals from Stokes, Swanson and Boyle.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Evidently it was the next day that was a day off.So at least they weren’t out on the lash with training next day.Still very unprofessional and childish.
    The Daily Record article said they didn't leave the hotel. So it's not like they were "out out".

They do though owe us a big performance on Sunday to avoid the finger of blame pointing in their direction.