hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graham Rix

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most football changing rooms are generally not for the thin skinned, there's a lot of stuff goes on and things said that are pretty close to the bone. It's still a pretty macho environment where the alpha male tends to rule.

There's a huge difference between that and what reads like systematic bullying and racism. It's just not acceptable nor should it ever have been. I'm glad the erseholes who indulged in behaviour like that are being pulled up about it now.
    What's alleged is nothing short of depraved and perverted, frankly. That sort of behaviour was never effective in encouraging or galvanising young players in a dressing-room.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I was involved in Amateur Football Changing Rooms for 20 seasons and this would never, ever, have been tolerated. Any of those quoted references would have resulted in a righteous pagger.

Using their power to overcome their obvious deficiencies as human beings leads me to hope these individuals are now brought to bear as it's obviously too late to hope they get a good doing.

@hibs.net private member _hucks_'s Avatar
    Harrowing reading. I really hope (and I'm glad to see there's not been much of it) we can avoid using this as a stick to beat Hearts with. Some things are much bigger than a footballing rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The slurs, the language and physical assaults being alleged are deplorable.

The thing is, 20 years before that it wouldn't have been a surprise. What black footballers had to tolerate in the 1970s was totally disgraceful, but I think we can all know and accept that it went on.

This is Chelsea, a big club in a big multicultural city, and only 20 odd years ago. It's not like black players were a rarity any more, and Rix will surely have had many black players as team mates by this point.

I know and remember these times, and it is surprising to me that abuse of this nature would have happened and been tolerated.

The stuff I heard about was similar to the Beckham story above - "rites of passage" stuff that went on everywhere and was very dodgy, but widespread, and I wonder how it might be interpreted 20 years down the line.

I see Peter Beardsley's possibly about to lose his job due to allegations of bullying and racism as well, only much more recently.
    I read the Beardsley accusations yesterday then this thread. Tip of an unsavoury iceberg I think. As a dad I would like to think that whole bullying culture is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    I read the Beardsley accusations yesterday then this thread. Tip of an unsavoury iceberg I think. As a dad I would like to think that whole bullying culture is gone.
    Beardsley is hero worshipped on Tyneside. I actually chatted away to him at the checkouts in M&S one day and he was extremely likeable, no flushing my head down the pan or calling me a scotch can't or anything. Surprising to hear the accusations although apparently he was accused in the past as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Beardsley is hero worshipped on Tyneside. I actually chatted away to him at the checkouts in M&S one day and he was extremely likeable, no flushing my head down the pan or calling me a scotch can't or anything. Surprising to hear the accusations although apparently he was accused in the past as well.
    I go to a few Newcastle games and have a few mates in the city.

The consensus amongst them is he is gone and that’s for the best. Whilst there is obviously a sadness about that given his history and status with the club they all feel the bad publicity is really not needed and it’s best if he is removed quickly.

I’m not saying they are representative of all Newcastle fans but they just don’t think there is any way back for him.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Rix sounds like a real stand up character

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Beardsley is so obviously the kid who was bullied at school and lashes back out when he gets in a position of power.

@hibs.net private member
    The worrying thing about all these cases, as always when there is abuse by those in power against the vulnerable, is how did this happen?

It's not good enough to just blame individuals. I appreciate the Rix case was a while ago but all clubs should have had, and have now, checks and mechanisms to stop this kind of thing happening.

Football clubs and the FA need to be really clear about what they have done and are doing to stop this kind of thing, particularly after revelations last year of sexual abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Beardsley is so obviously the kid who was bullied at school and lashes back out when he gets in a position of power.
    I think you're right. Speaking like you've just swallowed a large hive of bees is going to make you a target as well.

Hard reading that article. What a couple of real charmers, pray they are punished.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk