hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graham Rix

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar

Graham Rix

I see the man Romanov described as a 'hero' is back in the news. This time it is racism and bullying...

https://www.theguardian.com/football...llying-chelsea

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see the man Romanov described as a 'hero' is back in the news. This time it is racism and bullying...

3 men walk into a bar, a paedo, a racist and a Jambo

and that hat was just the first one

Interesting that these allegations are coming out about stuff that went on at Chelsea. I'd wondered if there was going to be stuff coming out in relation to things that happened there a couple of decades ago.

A guy who is a good friend of my brother was coming through the ranks there at the same age group as John Terry.

One of the coaches he had at one of the age groups was Jim Duffy - who he said was an absolutely brilliant guy, and the best coach he ever worked with.

I don't remember him telling us about truly sinister stuff, but there were a lot of daft things and high jinks that went on.

I've often wondered if the "high jinks" of the time might be looked upon differently once a couple of decades had elapsed, or if anything more sinister might have actually gone on.

You have to wonder why this is only coming out now though?

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Interesting that these allegations are coming out about stuff that went on at Chelsea. I'd wondered if there was going to be stuff coming out in relation to things that happened there a couple of decades ago.

A guy who is a good friend of my brother was coming through the ranks there at the same age group as John Terry.

One of the coaches he had at one of the age groups was Jim Duffy - who he said was an absolutely brilliant guy, and the best coach he ever worked with.

I don't remember him telling us about truly sinister stuff, but there were a lot of daft things and high jinks that went on.

I've often wondered if the "high jinks" of the time might be looked upon differently once a couple of decades had elapsed, or if anything more sinister might have actually gone on.

The article says the player is in his late 30s. Perhaps he has recently retired and only feels now that he can open up about it without fear of it affecting his career?

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Coming out now because no one cared enough until fairly recently. If you tolerate Rix......
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Left by mutual consent!
    Disturbing reading.

Rix sounds like a real charmer.

@hibs.net private member
    Jesus that is truly awful. What a despicable person. Sad to hear that he wont be back in prison but hopefully that's his career well and truly ruined and the lawsuit takes him to the cleaners.

When I started reading this article i thought it would be the usual pathetic stuff but it is very heavy nasty racism.

Disturbing reading.

Left by mutual consent!
    When you think of John Terry's history too then if that was the environment he was brought through at then you can see that coming.

How that happened at big football clubs as early as the late 90s is shocking.

@hibs.net private member
    Sad thing about that article is that racist bullying was the norm in life not just in football. Thankfully most of society have moved on and the dinosaurs who still think it’s ok or funny have been left in their own sad little world

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Sad thing about that article is that racist bullying was the norm in life not just in football. Thankfully most of society have moved on and the dinosaurs who still think it’s ok or funny have been left in their own sad little world
    The thing is, this apparently happened in the 1990s - this sort of stuff was very much unacceptable back then (this was the decade when crypto-racists started moaning that this 'political correctness' stuff was a gross imposition on their freedom to be ****heads). You'd have to go back at least another decade before the sort of behaviour attributed to Rix and Williams would have been considered normal.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I lived in London from 81-96 and played in various teams with lots of different nationalities. I obviously heard the odd comment during games, but nothing like whats being accused here.

I'm actually surprised at the amount of abuse he's supposed to have said, and how normal it appeared to be at that club.

If anyone had said any of that where i played, there would have been trouble every time.

I understand they would have been scared because of their career, but what's being accused here is way over the top, and i'm surprised it went on for so long?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I lived in London from 81-96 and played in various teams with lots of different nationalities. I obviously heard the odd comment during games, but nothing like whats being accused here.

I'm actually surprised at the amount of abuse he's supposed to have said, and how normal it appeared to be at that club.

If anyone had said any of that where i played, there would have been trouble every time.

I understand they would have been scared because of their career, but what's being accused here is way over the top, and i'm surprised it went on for so long?
    When you stop and think of the club and the supposed links they have with a certain bigoted racist institution up here it's perhaps less surprising though I suppose.

Wonder who the accusers are?

Most football changing rooms are generally not for the thin skinned, there's a lot of stuff goes on and things said that are pretty close to the bone. It's still a pretty macho environment where the alpha male tends to rule.

There's a huge difference between that and what reads like systematic bullying and racism. It's just not acceptable nor should it ever have been. I'm glad the erseholes who indulged in behaviour like that are being pulled up about it now.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    The article says the player is in his late 30s. Perhaps he has recently retired and only feels now that he can open up about it without fear of it affecting his career?
    It probably wasn't easy for him to open up even now, after having his confidence crushed at such a vulnerable age.

That is brutal to read. Absolute sin these young guys had to suffer this abuse.

There was a great documentary years ago when rix was Chelsea coach and Jody Morris and West Brom defender clement were coming through. Always thought at the time rix was abit mental

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    It probably wasn't easy for him to open up even now, after having his confidence crushed at such a vulnerable age.

The guy should be applauded before being given a spare 10 mins in a room with that creepy ****.

What a horrible read. What a pair of horrible ****s.

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    Not surprised.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Most football changing rooms are generally not for the thin skinned, there's a lot of stuff goes on and things said that are pretty close to the bone. It's still a pretty macho environment where the alpha male tends to rule.

There's a huge difference between that and what reads like systematic bullying and racism. It's just not acceptable nor should it ever have been. I'm glad the erseholes who indulged in behaviour like that are being pulled up about it now.
    I was involved in Amateur Football Changing Rooms for 20 seasons and this would never, ever, have been tolerated. Any of those quoted references would have resulted in a righteous pagger.

Using their power to overcome their obvious deficiencies as human beings leads me to hope these individuals are now brought to bear as it's obviously too late to hope they get a good doing.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I was involved in Amateur Football Changing Rooms for 20 seasons and this would never, ever, have been tolerated. Any of those quoted references would have resulted in a righteous pagger.

Using their power to overcome their obvious deficiencies as human beings leads me to hope these individuals are now brought to bear as it's obviously too late to hope they get a good doing.
    Well said. A “righteous pagger” - phrase of the week for me!

Rix is obviously a damaged man, a twisted racist bully and a predatory paedophille. I wouldn't even wish him on Hearts, and I'm glad that our club had nothing to do with the likes of him and Romanov, who ripped off the taxpayers of his own country as well as Edinburgh businesses and charities. All the tainted 5-1's in the world couldn't make me stomach those vile creatures.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorrie View Post
    Well said. A “righteous pagger” - phrase of the week for me!
    You know the kind of pagger I mean.....

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Also known as The Whitehouse

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Dressing rooms of 20-30 years ago sound horrendous from certain clubs.

This whole ‘earn your stripes’ mentality sounds nothing more than violent and sickening bullying.

Mind reading a story when Beckham came through at Man Utd his ‘initiation’ was to ‘make love’ to a Clayton Blackmore poster otherwise he’d have got battered.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post

Absolutely.

For all the banter and whatever that went on in changing rooms that I have been in had anyone called a player a 'nignog' or whatever other pitiful phrases these 2 were throwing about they would have been put in their place sharpish.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

The slurs, the language and physical assaults being alleged are deplorable.

The thing is, 20 years before that it wouldn't have been a surprise. What black footballers had to tolerate in the 1970s was totally disgraceful, but I think we can all know and accept that it went on.

This is Chelsea, a big club in a big multicultural city, and only 20 odd years ago. It's not like black players were a rarity any more, and Rix will surely have had many black players as team mates by this point.

I know and remember these times, and it is surprising to me that abuse of this nature would have happened and been tolerated.

The stuff I heard about was similar to the Beckham story above - "rites of passage" stuff that went on everywhere and was very dodgy, but widespread, and I wonder how it might be interpreted 20 years down the line.

I see Peter Beardsley's possibly about to lose his job due to allegations of bullying and racism as well, only much more recently.
    Last edited by Smartie; 12-01-2018 at 06:58 PM.