hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

What makes Hibs special?

Had a wee discussion with someone last night who's a St Johnstone fan - we all tend to think that our team has some sort of thing that makes them special above any other team.

If you bumped into someone who'd never watched football nor even knew of its existence, how would you describe Hibs and what would you point them to as to what makes the club special?

For me, I'd say the Famous Five, Pat Stanton, how Franck Sauzee found a final club to take to his heart even when he was winding up his career and a lot of Hands of Hibs and the strength of feeling towards the club and the battle to keep the club alive.

I'd also finish it off with 21st of May, but with lots of the background - even the 5-1 game, even the Malmo game, the relegation and how despite this the club found its feet again and found a way to fight on again.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

Unpredictability. We could beat Real Madrid one week then lose at home to Clyde the next.

Community, history, honour.

eticketing.co.uk

Barry strip, 100% that. Way better than that manky "it ran in the wash" effort from across the other side of the city.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    We're still a 'grass roots' club. Although sometimes we don't, we are still regarded as a team that plays attractive football (this probably stems from the FF & TT eras).
    There is certainly a charisma about the club that most players that come and go hook on to and they remain forever attached to Hibs in some way. (There have been a few exceptions however, they are few and far between - and the feeling is probably mutual ).

I don't regard us as 'special' in the wide sense. Certainly special to me though.
    Last edited by snooky; 11-01-2018 at 03:57 PM.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    They just are.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They just are.
    This, and I bet supporters of every club in the country would say the same about their own club.

The strip is second to none

Leith.

We're not the old firm.
    Nobody ever follows us for the glory.
    We're not Hearts.
    The Scottish Cup.

Oh.. and Hibs.net

Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    They just are.

In a nutshell. All non OF fans in Scotland are the same in that respect more or less.

We certainly don't do it for the glory. Hibs are just my team, end of.

What makes Hibs special?

Nothing. To start seeing ourselves as exceptional is the road to ruin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ozyhibby; 11-01-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Beautiful (both in character and club-colours), sporting, entertaining, attack-minded/anti defensive-football, stylish, innovative, enterprising, daring, courageous, historical, honest/trust-worthy, caring/considerate, charitable (I.E we DON'T nick the money !) fun ......................

But most importantly, PROUD at being everything the Hun and the Jambos aren't !

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    21st May 2016. No team in world football has or ever will have a moment as special as that with the possible exceptions of Man City scoring with the last kick of the ball to win the league.

For me it goes back to our origins. The struggle of Irish Catholic immigrants to band together and create a club to represent them. To join with the Leith poor and grow into a club which represents a larger community. A club which has fought for a long time to be established. A club that was almost killed and fought like a Rocky movie, beaten to a pulp but won and lifted a cup after all the struggles. The same with 21st of May, having been beaten time and again, but still managed to raise ourselves to overcome and win. Its entirely in keeping with the Persevere motto of Leith.

I think of us as the most romantic of clubs, like a Hollywood movie - struggle, adversity, circumstances against us and then triumph.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    For me it is simply due to the good and charitable reasons the club began.

That makes Hibernian FC very special indeed.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Hibs are special to the fans, the players that have had the honour to wear the strip, and the staff that have been involved with the club. Couldn't care less what anyone else thinks.

Things that make us unique for me tho - Our beginnings, our strip, our anthem, our Scottish Cup Story.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    For me it goes back to our origins. The struggle of Irish Catholic immigrants to band together and create a club to represent them. To join with the Leith poor and grow into a club which represents a larger community. A club which has fought for a long time to be established. A club that was almost killed and fought like a Rocky movie, beaten to a pulp but won and lifted a cup after all the struggles. The same with 21st of May, having been beaten time and again, but still managed to raise ourselves to overcome and win. Its entirely in keeping with the Persevere motto of Leith.

I think of us as the most romantic of clubs, like a Hollywood movie - struggle, adversity, circumstances against us and then triumph.

This 10/10.

Also the fans are far better looking than any other Scottish teams.this is a cast iron fact.

Everybody's team is special to them.

As previously stated. Our History.

perseverance - a club which others have tried to shut down and close more than once over its history and continues to survive to represent its community, area, city and country. Consistently inconsistent, rarely glory hunters, and all the better for it when 150,000 cheered the cup winning side around the streets after long wait. Some dreams come true.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Our fans.

Long suffering but know how to show the correct level of exuberance when required

Show anyone the 2016 final footage of Sunshine on Leith - the emotion of that day cannot be met by any other set of supporters for any sport

First Team Breakthrough
    Its simply the love of football. Hibs are my team and I love the ups but I know I have to take the downs and that's what separates us from the two teams in the west. I love the fact we are not glory hunters and therefore when we do win a cup you feel like you have just conquered the world and there isn't many other feelings like it. Our history is a proud one with many stories to be told and those stories off the park mirror those on it, up and down but, that's what makes us a proud club.

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    We are not Hearts.

Close thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    Beautiful (both in character and club-colours), sporting, entertaining, attack-minded/anti defensive-football, stylish, innovative, enterprising, daring, courageous, historical, honest/trust-worthy, caring/considerate, charitable (I.E we DON'T nick the money !) fun ......................

But most importantly, PROUD at being everything the Hun and the Jambos aren't !
    ... and Celtic :)

Raw, pulsating, sexuality. We've all got it and it the only question is whether it comes from regular attendance at Easter Road, or whether we are drawn to this sexy club because we already have those goods. Discuss.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post

This. And what makes it even better is that it gifts us a bohemian, outsider aura that it's simply impossible to buy. I'd much rather have that than spend my days bragging about being the "big team".

Yer Hame teams yer ain team. Simple