hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very good comeback by Native River. As soon as Cloudy Dream, admittedly not a strong stayer or finisher, came at him he kicked on and won by miles. He'll be cut for the GC now.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very good comeback by Native River. As soon as Cloudy Dream, admittedly not a strong stayer or finisher, came at him he kicked on and won by miles. He'll be cut for the GC now.
    Well as you just said, Cloudy Dream, not for the first time proves that he doesn't stay the distance and Saphir Du Rheu definitely needed the run, often makes glaring mistakes and all Native River needed to do was jump round and stay on his feet. Bookies benefit really, they wanted an excuse to shorten his price up and they got it.

Altior. Wow.

Just walked past the best performing British 2 mile chaser this year. On the bridle, on ground that isn't ideal and after a long lay off.

Shaping up to be a good face off with Min in March now, he won't be odds against now that's for sure.

Altior. Wow.

Just walked past the best performing British 2 mile chaser this year. On the bridle, on ground that isn't ideal and after a long lay off.

Shaping up to be a good face off with Min in March now, he won't be odds against now that's for sure.
    He'll win the Champion Chase, looks like Douvan is out for the season. The bookies must love this meeting, first odds-on Native River then a 1/3 favourite wins a 3 horse race and they can shorten the odds even more for the Champion Chase and make him even less attractive for punters. By the way, Altior's only ever run on good/good to soft or soft ground, today was his ground. Class act, a very good horse who does sometimes hit a flat spot in his races but always manages to produce the goods. 1 minor concern would be that he looked vulnerable in last season's festival, but after that was really impressive, so it doesn't make sense to back against him, and it might pay to either back something else each-way or just leave the race alone.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I hope you all know that I’m noting down all this info for when I head down there. There was a time when I used to study for weeks before Cheltenham, but not now, it’s more a social occasion with a chance to win a few quid, but if I don’t it’s all your fault

United we stand here....

Douvan might be in line to appear on Saturday at Gowran. I mentioned earlier in the thread that Ricci said he does have a chance to make Cheltenham. He is entered in the Ryanair but surely would need to go for the Queen Mother.

Coneygree, Whisper and Bristol De Mai all out at the latest stage of Gold Cup declarations. 27 remain in. Might Bite favourite at 7/2.

Defi De Seuil and The New One, as expected, both out of the Champion Hurdle. 19 still in. Buveur D'Air fav at 4/9.

Barters Hill, Beer Goggles, Shaneshill and Cole Harden all out the Stayers. 26 still in. Supasundae fav at 100/30.

Waiting Patiently out the QM. 21 still in. Altior fav at 8/11.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    He'll win the Champion Chase, looks like Douvan is out for the season. The bookies must love this meeting, first odds-on Native River then a 1/3 favourite wins a 3 horse race and they can shorten the odds even more for the Champion Chase and make him even less attractive for punters. By the way, Altior's only ever run on good/good to soft or soft ground, today was his ground. Class act, a very good horse who does sometimes hit a flat spot in his races but always manages to produce the goods. 1 minor concern would be that he looked vulnerable in last season's festival, but after that was really impressive, so it doesn't make sense to back against him, and it might pay to either back something else each-way or just leave the race alone.
    That’s 3 different types of going you’ve named though, and given he’s done plenty of his work (and winning) on good.. PB has every right to argue that wasn’t his ideal ground?

Agree though - very impressive and I’ve taken some of sky bet’s evens they’ve offfered as a boost this week.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    That’s 3 different types of going you’ve named though, and given he’s done plenty of his work (and winning) on good.. PB has every right to argue that wasn’t his ideal ground?

Agree though - very impressive and I’ve taken some of sky bet’s evens they’ve offfered as a boost this week.
    I jumped on the Altior and Native River double boost at 14/1.

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    I jumped on the Altior and Native River double boost at 14/1.
    Seen that but Native river isn’t for me.. yet. Haven’t got nearly as far as the gold cup yet haha

Black day for me with the betting today.

Black Corton
    Black Ivory
    Blacklion

Decent chance with that treble I think.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Black day for me with the betting today.

Black Corton
    Black Ivory
    Blacklion

Decent chance with that treble I think.
    1st
    Brought down (sadly fatally)
    2nd

Black Corton looks the real deal and has won me a few pennies in the laat year. Nicholls might just have found a new Grade 1 horse.

Betfair Chase at Ascot- what a brilliant race. Waiting Patiently is a class horse, and today he proved it, because Cue Card ran an excellent race in defeat, Frodon, Top Notch etc quite a way back. I suppose the only real disappointment was Coney Island who was pulled up much earlier, as I remember him winning so impressively earlier in the season. But this was the race that had everything.

1st
    Brought down (sadly fatally)
    2nd

Black Corton looks the real deal and has won me a few pennies in the laat year. Nicholls might just have found a new Grade 1 horse.
    It's close between Black Corton and a horse called Elegant Escape, they've both beaten each other by roughly the same distance, over roughly the same ground this season. The other horse that was in the mix was Fountains Windfall who was challenging them both when falling in both races. He sadly had to get put down after a freak training accident. Black Corton is best price 9-1 at Skybet for the RSA, Elegant Escape is 17/1. Black Corton has form at Cheltenham, and that could be significant, but it's a hell of a race to work out. I would agree with you that he might well be a Grade 1 horse, he's got an admirable attitude, but he's had a long season for a chaser, going for a race like the RSA, which is a really hard race to call, might just be going to the well once to often this season but I could easily be wrong.

On Getabird all manner of prices for the supreme. He’s also in 80% of my remaining ante post multiples

Rather be unchanged at 143 for the close brothers handicap which surprised but delighted me at the same time. Looks like it’ll be very well handicapped at this early stage (Henderson 1 win 5 places since it’s been revamped in the last 13 runnings).

Our Duke will need to improve his jumping a lot to feature but is likely to do so and his current price for the GC is very appealing. Horses returning to the Gold Cup who haven’t won it before are 0/64 so prematurely ruled out a number in the field

Fagan, Samcro and Tiger Roll look 3 of Elliott’s best chances. Samcro’s time was significantly slower than the juvenile race (10 lengths down at the winning pole) which was ran immediately before his last outing probably means he’s short enough but can’t deny he’s been imressive - Fagan and Tiger roll both love cheltenham this time of year and are high on the shortlist

Footpad looks primed for the Arkle, after witnessing a very impressive Saint Clavados he will have to be foot perfect but has been chasing and although short, SC will ensure an honest gallop and don’t think there will be much between them over the last

Finally, Campeador in the county hurdle looks very interesting . Has been highly tried behind Faugheen/Supasundae this season but has put in some good performances. His jumping is a huge concern crashing out twice at the last (including when travelling like a dream in the Fred Winter 2016) but Barry G knows the horse well and should be thereabouts if getting a clean round - EDIT - no entry in the county, only left in The Champion Hurdle perhaps takes his chance in the imperial cup instead
    Last edited by IanM; 22-02-2018 at 06:13 PM.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/chel...ld-back/320347

Quite an interesting analysis by the Post. Not sure I agree with all their conclusions but it's worth a bit consideration.

Rediciean has been my bet for a while for the Triumph to hacking it up with any money on him. Saturdays performance confirms this for me and quite confident of a massive run.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/chel...ld-back/320347

Quite an interesting analysis by the Post. Not sure I agree with all their conclusions but it's worth a bit consideration.
    Don’t agree with all as wel but like the thinking behind it. I think Getabird is too short and will be on Kalashnikov.

First Team Breakthrough

Rhinestone

My tip is a bit left field but I like the look of Rhinestone in the bumper,travelled very well in his 3 races to date and I think he’ll appreciate the likely better ground at this time of year,8-1 at the moment with bet 365.

Less than a week to go now folks. Anyone got any stronger fancies now we are so close? Being in Oz I won’t be able to watch until Gold Cup day so it’s going to be nervewracking waking up the first 3 days.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    Less than a week to go now folks. Anyone got any stronger fancies now we are so close? Being in Oz I won’t be able to watch until Gold Cup day so it’s going to be nervewracking waking up the first 3 days.
    Been given a tip for Slate House in the Supreme Novices, e/w....if the ground's not too soft. 28/1 with Skybet.

I want to take on Footpad. Favourites have a relatively poor record in the Arkle, think it's 5 in 24, but a lot of the other trends go in his favour. A lot of the trends also point to St Calvados and Petit Mouchir as well though.

Fancy Nube Negra in the Fred Winter, only defeat over hurdles was to Apples Shakira in the Triumph Trial at Cheltenham and it was a decent account without ever really threatening.

Joined a fantasy Cheltenham league and any advice would be appreciated. In the first 4 races each day I have to pick, 1, 2 & 3. I get extra points for getting places correct. Are there any must have horses and what are the outsiders that may get me points (I know nothing about horses but it’s a day in the pub on the Friday).

Sizing John out the Gold Cup.

Even at this stage there seem to be a whole load of horses entered for more than one race, so trying to 2nd-guess the trainer and what the ground's going to be like is virtually impossible. The Stayers Hurdle appeals to me from a betting perspective, I could be tempted to back Yanworth on the nose (if he actually runs in that race) and Lil Rockerfeller e/w (26/1), he's a favourite of mine and he's run well at the festival before. I also really fancy Lagostovegas in the Coral Cup, but he's not that great a price for such a competitive race (15/1).

First Team Breakthrough
    Cracking start to the week,just went into my local shop to get a Racing Post for my journey down and only got charged £1.15 instead of £2.90,ya dancer!!

Going today is heavy-soft in places. 10mm of rain overnight.

Could make things interesting.

Guitar Pete in the Browns on Thursday

Nicky Henderson tweeted Altior was lame this morning. Problem with his foreleg and pus in the foot. Excercised on the water treadmill and has had a poultice applied.

Ground at Cheltenham's now officially heavy, adapt your bets accordingly...

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/...udlarks/144409
    Last edited by ekhibee; 12-03-2018 at 03:53 PM.