hibs.net Messageboard

Cheltenham Festival 2018

Right I appreciate there is a separate ongoing thread for racing but the Fez deserves it own thread as racing’s biggest week.

I’ll get us started and I really fancy Native River for the Gold Cup. Might Bite is rightly favourite however I feel this whole campaign has been geared around the GC for Native River. He had a hard season last year in the Hennessy, Welsh National and the Denman Chase beforehand cheltenham and I feel Tizzard is trying to prep him just perfectly.

Other one I particularity like is Didtheyleaveyououttoo in the bumper. 2 lovely wins so far and looks special.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Waiting Patiently showing his Festival credentials beating an established Grade 1 field at Kempton comfortably. 5 from 5 over fences now and price cut for both the Queen Mother and the Ryanair.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Waiting Patiently showing his Festival credentials beating an established Grade 1 field at Kempton comfortably. 5 from 5 over fences now and price cut for both the Queen Mother and the Ryanair.
    I was just about to comment on this, you got in before me. That was a really impressive performance by Waiting Patiently against good opposition. I'm quite tempted to back him at Cheltenham, depending on what race he runs in. Very impressive.

I was also very impressed with Waiting Patiently who was in my treble. He has form over Politologue who’s been touted for the Queen Mum but would like to see him over the Ryanair Trip.

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    I was also very impressed with Waiting Patiently who was in my treble. He has form over Politologue who’s been touted for the Queen Mum but would like to see him over the Ryanair Trip.
    The problem with the QM is that if Altior shows up the field will fall apart. The lastest stage of entries shows nearly 30 horses left in. I guarantee if Altior is fit then only 5 or 6 will go to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The problem with the QM is that if Altior shows up the field will fall apart. The lastest stage of entries shows nearly 30 horses left in. I guarantee if Altior is fit then only 5 or 6 will go to post.
    Completely agree. Nichols has confirmed Politologue will definitely go so at least there will be some level of competition. If you then add Waiting Patiently and Douvan (unlikely) then it could be the race of the Festival. It could go either way.

There's never a big field for the Champion Chase anyway, the most I can think of in recent times is probably 11 in 2014. Most of these entries will drop out regardless of who the opposition is, but of the major players Douvan is out for the season, Waiting Patiently more than likely will go for the RSA, and Politilogue, just in my opinion, just isn't good enough. It's a pity really, a Douvan at his best has far stronger form that Altior, but to be fair to Altior, you can only beat who's put in front of you, and he's no guarantee to run either. Not a race I'm particularly keen on from a betting perspective unless some other horses such as Yorkhill actually show some better form before the race.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    There's never a big field for the Champion Chase anyway, the most I can think of in recent times is probably 11 in 2014. Most of these entries will drop out regardless of who the opposition is, but of the major players Douvan is out for the season, Waiting Patiently more than likely will go for the RSA, and Politilogue, just in my opinion, just isn't good enough. It's a pity really, a Douvan at his best has far stronger form that Altior, but to be fair to Altior, you can only beat who's put in front of you, and he's no guarantee to run either. Not a race I'm particularly keen on from a betting perspective unless some other horses such as Yorkhill actually show some better form before the race.
    Mullins said recently Douvan could be in line for a surprise appearance at the festival. Unlikely, but not impossible. Waiting Patiently is no longer a novice I don’t believe, just missed the tail end of last season with injury. Agree with Politologue. As much as I think he’s a lovely horse, he’s just not in the top table. Could pick up the scraps if anything goes wrong with the big guns though.