hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Thomson

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can I put you down for a half and half scarf when we play his testimonial against the Teddy Berz?
    Grow up man.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Brown was every bit as bad as Thomson with the way they went about leaving. Only difference is the clubs they went to. And that's the reason people dislike Thomson and treat Brown as some sort of hero still.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Brown was every bit as bad as Thomson with the way they went about leaving. Only difference is the clubs they went to. And that's the reason people dislike Thomson and treat Brown as some sort of hero still.
    Did Brown have a weekly newspaper column where he stuck the knife into the team he was captain of for well over a month? The answer is no.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Broony stayed on to help us win the SLC.
    The worst decision in KT's football career IMO was to get involved with the DR.
    That was the killer. Murray, Whitty, Russel, all went to RFC and are still reasonably respected. The same would have applied to KT if he'd stuck to just playing football and not spouted all the BS (even if it was via a ghost writer).
    A self-inflicted wound, unfortunately.
    Last edited by snooky; 11-01-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Kevin left Hibs under a cloud after behind the scenes problems with Collins, JC wanted him gone asap and he was as soon as Rangers made their £2m bid in January. Yes Kevin can be outspoken and probably could've handled the problems with Collins better, Brown did and left in the summer with our best wishes after winning the League Cup but lets not forget that both handed in a transfer request literally months after signing a new long term contract. Kevin made mistakes, he's apologised and accepted that, lets move on and stop all the petty bitching about something that happened years ago, he wants to advance as a coach, unfortunately he's doing that at Rangers and not Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Kevin left Hibs under a cloud after behind the scenes problems with Collins, JC wanted him gone asap and he was as soon as Rangers made their £2m bid in January. Yes Kevin can be outspoken and probably could've handled the problems with Collins better, Brown did and left in the summer with our best wishes after winning the League Cup but lets not forget that both handed in a transfer request literally months after signing a new long term contract. Kevin made mistakes, he's apologised and accepted that, lets move on and stop all the petty bitching about something that happened years ago, he wants to advance as a coach, unfortunately he's doing that at Rangers and not Hibs.
    I agree with you on all that, J-C.
    I was pointing out the difference between Broony's exit and KT's, in response to the previous post.

Fwiw, good luck to Kevin wherever he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    Aye, the loyalty scheme. high on the agenda just as me and Leann were talking about the other day

i guess you got the same answers as me then?

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Broony stayed on to help us win the SLC.
    The worst decision in KT's football career IMO was to get involved with the DR.
    That was the killer. Murray, Whitty, Russel, all went to RFC and are still reasonably respected. The same would have applied to KT if he'd stuck to just playing football and not spouted all the BS (even if it was via a ghost writer).
    A self-inflicted wound, unfortunately.
    The same Ian Murray who stuck his middle up at Hibs fans?

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Brown had withdrawn his transfer request prior to the semi v St.Johnstone and had a great game that night, setting up the 3rd goal for Benji after carrying the ball from one end of the park to the other. He played his part in a fantastic cup final performance. The players' mutiny was wrong, but Brown wasn't the only one involved in that. He scored v Celtic in his last game when we beat them 2-1, and we received £4.4 million (I think) from his transfer. I like Thomson and would defend him, but don't see the need to have a dash at Brown in order to do so.
    It wasn’t really a dig, I like them both but if you don’t like one because of how he left then you must have the same feeling about both of them. Brown shat on Hibs every bit, if not more than KT did. Kevin was stripped of the captaincy which left a massive sour taste for him, his bitterness was towards our manager, not the club. Brown very similar, in regards to transfer request and visit to Rod’s place, not forgetting his infamous interview. We had a huge chance of making two finals that year and the unrest put paid to that, long after Kevin left ER.

As I said I have no problem with either but find those that are still bitter about Kevin going to rangers is very strange, and although most wont admit it, it’s majorly down to which club he left to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    It wasn’t really a dig, I like them both but if you don’t like one because of how he left then you must have the same feeling about both of them. Brown shat on Hibs every bit, if not more than KT did. Kevin was stripped of the captaincy which left a massive sour taste for him, his bitterness was towards our manager, not the club. Brown very similar, in regards to transfer request and visit to Rod’s place, not forgetting his infamous interview. We had a huge chance of making two finals that year and the unrest put paid to that, long after Kevin left ER. As I said I have no problem with either but find those that are still bitter about Kevin going to rangers is very strange, and although most wont admit it, it’s majorly down to which club he left to go to.
    I'm sure I read that Scott Brown gave his signing on fee to the Hibs Youth team, don't know if Thomson did that. Anyway, I don't think the players really bear comparison. IMO Brown was a much better and consistent player than Thomson who only really had 1 really good season with us, his first. He was never the same player after he came back from a long injury situation, but that's just my opinion. That's not his fault, he went on to have a pretty lucrative career at another club, and he's definitely a Hibs fan, and if he needs to coach Under-13's at another club so be it, I certainly won't hold it against him.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    I'm sure I read that Scott Brown gave his signing on fee to the Hibs Youth team, don't know if Thomson did that. Anyway, I don't think the players really bear comparison. IMO Brown was a much better and consistent player than Thomson who only really had 1 really good season with us, his first. He was never the same player after he came back from a long injury situation, but that's just my opinion. That's not his fault, he went on to have a pretty lucrative career at another club, and he's definitely a Hibs fan, and if he needs to coach Under-13's at another club so be it, I certainly won't hold it against him.
    His fhad a very good first season under Bobby Willliamson until that career threatening injury. Sustained I think, v Partick near the end of that season.
    And when he came back (missed a season and a bit I think?), he was tremendous under Mowbray, club captain (?) then Collins until the proverbials.
    Marvellous footballer in my opinion.

Apparently he did. Were the fans not giving him abuse before it?
    Not quite in the same league as the DR stuff IMO

Left by mutual consent!
    The same Ihun Murray who stuck his middle up at Hibs fans?
    Fixed.

That was the Murphy 1-0 game and he had got absolute dogs abuse from our corner all day!
    Personally, I thought it was funny as did most of us. I think he did too. Anyone that took offence at that is in a fragile state.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Where was this?

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    That was the Murphy 1-0 game and he had got absolute dogs abuse from our corner all day!
    Personally, I thought it was funny as did most of us. I think he did too. Anyone that took offence at that is in a fragile state.
    Was it not the Crazy Ivan hat-trick day? Murray defo played for the Huns that day, pretty sure it was the first time against us.

Wonder if KT has a ticket for a week on Sunday in the Hibs end?

If so, he could be sitting beside some of his voluble critics.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Was it not the Crazy Ivan hat-trick day? Murray defo played for the Huns that day, pretty sure it was the first time against us.
    You might be right. It would be tighter to the dates I suppose. That's the only game I ever bought a programme on the way out of the stadium. Not quite sure the same elation as that day was prevalent when Iain made his wee gesture though. Mists of time........

Edit. You're spot on. And I see that Thomson and Whittaker both played in the Murphy game!
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 11-01-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Wonder if KT has a ticket for a week on Sunday in the Hibs end?

If so, he could be sitting beside some of his voluble critics.
    Equally, I suppose he could be sit around a load of folk who want to suck up his arse...

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    You might be right. It would be tighter to the dates I suppose. That's the only game I ever bought a programme on the way out of the stadium. Not quite sure the same elation as that day was prevalent when Iain made his wee gesture though. Mists of time........

Edit. You're spot on. And I see that Thomson and Whittaker both played in the Murphy game!
    Murray got dog's abuse at ER in the game after the Sproule game also, probably fuelled by the finger thing (which I thought was funny as well, Hibby mission accomplished ) 2-1 for us going on 6-1. Barry Ferguson got sent off. Happy days.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Did Brown have a weekly newspaper column where he stuck the knife into the team he was captain of for well over a month? The answer is no.
    Still have a few of the clippings from the record from when KT done the column, he mentioned Brown in nearly every colum that was done, about how the 2 of them were abused in a restaurant in leith, and how they were being treated by the fans.

What always puzzled me about it all was why did the club allow it to happen, they could have put a stop to these columns that were being written by KT, I know that the player who done the column before KT always had his proofread before it went to print.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Silly thing for him to do, was there that day and he was getting dogs abuse from Hibs fans, some really nasty stuff, can also remember Griffths get a bit of stick from the Hibs fan and him turning round and giving the Hibs fans a GIRUY.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    Where was this?
    In an interview at I think St Pats branch Q&A, deffo in a Q&A somewhere.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    In an interview at I think St Pats branch Q&A, deffo in a Q&A somewhere.
    He didn't apologise there as far as I can remember, all he did was blame Keith Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Still have a few of the clippings from the record from when KT done the column, he mentioned Brown in nearly every colum that was done, about how the 2 of them were abused in a restaurant in leith, and how they were being treated by the fans.

What always puzzled me about it all was why did the club allow it to happen, they could have put a stop to these columns that were being written by KT, I know that the player who done the column before KT always had his proofread before it went to print.
    The Daily Record columns were a joke, it's just not a viable defence for KT to say KJ was writing stuff KT didn't know about, they went on for weeks and weeks! Personally I'm over it and I'm not carrying a grudge anymore, I just wish he'd be honest about the whole sorry episode, which contributed towards ****ing up our most talented squad for years.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigMNFitba View Post
    I agree with this having held the same views as other posters on this thread.

Having sat in on the interview, the impression I (like yourself) got was KT was incredibly regretful over how that whole scenario happened. It all stemmed from him and Brown employing McKay as their agent which totally annoyed Collins.

Great efforts with the interviews btw

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Sevco are are a club rotten to the core with bigotry. The vile, unadulterated sectarianism both they and their predecessor club and fans have gotten away over the years is shameful.

If KT wants to be part if that then that's up to him. It tells me he's learnt nothing since he was 22. If you are with them you are for them.
    What a pile of dung.Kevin wanted to further his career and make enough money to look after his family .So what .If you were offered the chance to do so you would jump at it .If not you would be crazy

Hard to believe this thread has reached 5 pages
    Thomson getting on with the next part of his life after a few false starts.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    What a pile of dung.Kevin wanted to further his career and make enough money to look after his family .So what .If you were offered the chance to do so you would jump at it .If not you would be crazy
    It's not a pile of dung at all. If people in this country actually called them out for what they are instead of talking them up as some kind of Scottish institution with wonderful fans then their behaviour would be a lot easier to stomach.

Yes, the very same Ian Murray who had 0-7 painted into his hair when we played at Tiny!