hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hibs and sectarian songs

Was speaking to a relatively senior manager at my work who is a Rangers supporter and he said that he hasn't much time for Hibs due to us still singing sectarian songs.I was taken aback as in my opinion we haven't on mass sung any sectarians songs for a good number of years, yes I have heard the odd person sing them at the game but not many.When I told him this he just shrugged his shoulders.

Now this is a clever guy, so I would say that this is the thoughts of the most educated Rangers supporters, by the way he was astonished that I was a Protestant and supporting Hibs

This guy is no Weegie, he is a proud Fifer!

I just can't believe how deep the religous problem is.

Thoughts

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! New Corrie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiolex1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was speaking to a relatively senior manager at my work who is a Rangers supporter and he said that he hasn't much time for Hibs due to us still singing sectarian songs.I was taken aback as in my opinion we haven't on mass sung any sectarians songs for a good number of years, yes I have heard the odd person sing them at the game but not many.When I told him this he just shrugged his shoulders.

Now this is a clever guy, so I would say that this is the thoughts of the most educated Rangers supporters, by the way he was astonished that I was a Protestant and supporting Hibs

Thoughts
    That explains everything mate, add to that, supporting rangers as opposed to his local team, i'm afraid that this particular "senior manager" is a Fud.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I think that says more about the "educated" Rangers supporter than us. They are rotten to the core, even the decent ones (if they even exist!).

Left by mutual consent!

Thoughts
    Its called being narrowminded.. They fans are **** and can't see past the end of there nose.. They are called '' Scotland's Shame '' for a reason..

To Rangers fans, Hibs are Fenian bastirts! To non-Glasgow based Celtc fans, Hibs are dirty orange bastirts!

We cant win!

It's only a problem with the OF.

Rangers and Celtic fans always use two arguments as a smokescreen - firstly, the songs they sing aren't sectarian they're just 'political', and secondly other clubs fans sing similar songs.

On both counts they're talking pish.

First Team Breakthrough hstn747's Avatar
    Having lived in Glasgow all my life I know all about the attitudes. Some of the fuds at high school just couldn't get over the fact that I wasn't Catholic.

I worked in Ayrshire last summer & the real Ayrshire boys assumed I was a Tim sympathiser. They never went into the religion side of things though but it was implied.

When I meet Huns they tend to assume that I'm a Tim sympathiser due to my huge dislike of the Huns. This is really because I grew up surrounded by Huns & during their 9-in-a-row. If I'd grown up in a Celtc area then I'd prolly hate them more.

Thoughts
    His attitude allied to his comments suggest the opposite.

He is yer below average hun cocksocket.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

Thoughts
    The fundimental problem with the OF fan base is that his statement (in bold text) is regarded as an issue.
    So sad.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    I've met several Weegies down here over the years who have been astonished, and unbelieving, that I could be a Hibbie and not Catholic.

The old Irish guy who uses my club is a Celtic man and always assumes I sympathise with them, no matter how many times I tell him that I hate both sides of the OF equally. He just laughs and thinks I am kidding.

Even the Bosnian guy at work (married to a Paisley girl) assumed I was Catholic, and was surprised to learn I wasn't.

I really don't get the religious thing at all, thankfully. bypasses me totally.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

@hibs.net private member Monktonhall 7's Avatar
    The great thing about our club is that although we have a very proud history and obvious Irish roots, we have a mixed support, and unlike what happens in the West of Scotland, religion does not determine what club you follow. From all the guys I go to the matches with, you would not know or want to know what religion they are. Who cares, we are in this for the love of HFC.

Thoughts

@hibs.net private member

Thoughts
    Substitute "ignorant fud" in place of "clever guy" and you'll be bang on the money - the Hibs support have not sung any sectarian songs for decades.

The hypocracy of this guy is absolutely stunning by the way - diss-ing Hibs and Hibbys on the grounds of complete fabrications about sectarian singing while freely associating himself with possibly the most biggoted colective on the entire planet in the Rangers support - trully astounding really.

I don't think this guy is representative of any enlightened section of the Rangers support at all - if that were the case then he would be acknowledging the immense embarassment which the biggoted sectarian traditions of the Huns represent to the whole of Scotland. He would also acknowledge that the Hibs support are an excellent example of how that sort of nonsense can be erradicated from the inside by the self policing of a decent minded support.

fiolex1, it's about time you left lothian and borders police mate.

First Team Breakthrough

Thoughts

What a load of Rubbish....When you want to deflect from yourself or in this case Rangers mention about another teams problems or in this case sectarian songs sung by Hibs.....What is his proof?....and if so what context.....3 guys singing in a street? If there is any.....why did you not ask him about Rangers fans and their sectarian songs....or is because its common and part of life at ibrox.....

your conversation reminded me of a post I put on here a while back.

I had a conversation with a Rangers fan last summer which made me realise that some of them are totally bigoted and no matter whats done they will never change.

The Rangers fan lives in Fife and does not go to any games.

The conversation went like this:
    Rangers fan: Why do you not like us?
    me: well many reasons, like that song you sing being up to your knees in fenian blood for one.
    Rangers fan: Whats wrong with that?
    Me: What! ok what about the national anthem God save the Queen, you sing that right?......what about the third verse about crushing thy rebellious Scots which is about killing Scots?
    Rangers fan: Nothing wrong with that, you have to remember there were no real Scots, Scotland was made up of the Highlands and Lowlands then.
    Me: Thanks for that and at that I walked away......

what is it about huns and Fife?

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Was speaking to a relatively senior manager at my work who is a Rangers supporter and he said that he hasn't much time for Hibs due to us still singing sectarian songs.
    He must'nt have any time at all for Rangers if that's the case!

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Substitute "ignorant fud" in place of "clever guy" and you'll be bang on the money - the Hibs support have not sung any sectarian songs for decades.

The hypocracy of this guy is absolutely stunning by the way - diss-ing Hibs and Hibbys on the grounds of complete fabrications about sectarian singing while freely associating himself with possibly the most biggoted colective on the entire planet in the Rangers support - trully astounding really.

I don't think this guy is representative of any enlightened section of the Rangers support at all - if that were the case then he would be acknowledging the immense embarassment which the biggoted sectarian traditions of the Huns represent to the whole of Scotland. He would also acknowledge that the Hibs support are an excellent example of how that sort of nonsense can be erradicated from the inside by the self policing of a decent minded support.

Spot on my friend. It really hacks me off when I get the weedgie **** 'assuming' that I MUST be some kind of pope loving bead rattler? Based on what excactly? I support Hibs? What a load of horse sh*t. Even worse because I have an Irish name(which I am very proud of) it begins McC instead of the traditional scottish Mac(or other variations). That is another 'reason' why I am a 'tattie muncher', 'pope lover', 'bead rattler', 'celtic sympathiser'...etc etc etc.

For information....that kind of nonsense makes me sick and it has no place in football. But I will never understand how people draw these conclusions EVEN when we take the time to explain to them that Hibs are in no way involved with any Religous or Political organisation as a rule. I am not really religous but would consider myself a Christian(morally anyway). I am sure there is a broad mixture of faiths visiting ER these days and I am proud it is that way. Its the Bigot bros. that need to take a look at themselves and what they are all about. They are so stupid that they use religion as a standard bearer for their sectarianism when their religions tell them these things are wrong......Duhhhhh.

Its just a pity our authority's are a bunch of cowards with no balls whatsoever. We should'nt even be having this debate because it should have been stamped out long ago....but like I say...the politician's are ****less cowards or are involved themselve's(ie John Reid).

Rant over.

The obvious question to this "senior manager" is.....'Why do you support Rangers?' It is clearly not because they are his local team so maybe we are safe to assume that he is a bigot and probably a protestant one at that. The words Glory Hunter come to mind.

Brought up a protestant myself I support Hibs because they were my local team in my formative years. Having said that I don't 'hate' any football team or their supporters but I do feel mildly sorry for religious bigots.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    People who suggest Hibs fans are sectarian are at best totally ignorant, or at worst, thick as ****!

FWIW None of my Hibs supporting friends are Catholic af far as I know.

Your ' intelligent ' manager needs to get out of the 20th century, why he should be "astonished" that you are not Catholic just coz you support Hibs astonishes me.

In all the time I have been supporting the mighty Hibees nobody has ever asked me my religion. The reason being that they dont give a stuff, same as I dont give a stuff what religion they are and I would bet that goes for 99.9% of Hibbies.

Christian
    Muslim
    Hindu

Who cares as long as you are a Hibby

Hibs fans used to sing a lot of sectarian songs in the 1970s but one always got the impression it was not entirely genuine and mostly to noise up the opposition fans.

Thoughts
    You think this is a 'very clever guy' and you can't believe how deep the religous problem is and you regard the creature as an educated person and a proud fifer.

He might be clever but he is not educated at all. Obviously he is a glory seeking and narrow minded bigot who disgraces Fife and who attaches himself to Scotlands Shame for a number of unsavoury reasons one of which is religious bigotry.

He is also downright ignorant if he thinks Hibs fan still sing sectarian songs which to your credit at least you pointed out.

At least he has revealed his true colours and you can avoid him in the future.

Was speaking to a relatively senior manager at my work who is a Rangers supporter and he said that he hasn't much time for Hibs due to us still singing sectarian songs.
    I've heard Rick Waller doesn't have much time for Santa because he's fat.

Thoughts
    The fact that he shrugged when you told him, and he was surprised that you were a protestant supporting Hibs makes me suspect that he is not a very clever guy.More like an ignorant fool who is judging our support on bygone years.The fact is we are a non sectarian club and tools like him dont understand that.Let him live in his sectarian bubble and enjoy the fact that you are not part of it.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar

Thoughts[/QUOTE]

How can he be a proud Fifer and support a Glaswegian Football Club ?
    HE is just another pathetic glory hunter or a died in the wool bigot or both.

Ignore the imbecile !!!

First Team Breakthrough

Thoughts

Oh a proud fifer that supports a team that sings about killing people......brilliant.

ps
    Proud fife rangers fan......support YOUR local team its because of glory hunters that local fife teams are struggling.....rant over.

In truth forever and ever, gets banded about once every couple of weeks and is sung by the majority in the east, although most only join in the second part of the song.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thoughts
    One sentence in, and you give the game away.

Left by mutual consent!

Thoughts
    Being a senior manager bluenose, he's no doubt a senior manager at what would once have been called one of edinburgh's blue chip organisations. Seems to be the main qualification at a certain one I could name.