hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

Edinburgh fish bars

or chippies as they are known down south. Any recommendations for the capitals best fish and chips? I have a mate whose a Jambo (I know, I know) and he swears by the Gorgie fish bar, is it any good or is he just wearing his hideously maroon coloured spectacles?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Aye, it is good.

Globetrotter at Bruntsfield is quality.

Quote Originally Posted by yonder1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Globetrotter at Bruntsfield is quality.
    Agree. Toss up between there and Concorde at Tollcross for my favourite. Really nice haggis from both.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Eatalias Leith Walk

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Gorgie fish bar if its the one im thinking of opposite the mcdonalds then aye, it used to be a very good chippy but believe its not so good as it was.

Eatalias as someone mentioned is very good and sure it won best chippy in edinburgh last year. Its owned/ran by the same family as the vittoria group

I used to visit the one on stenhouse cross a few back which imo was up there as the best, not so sure how goood it is now though.

@hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar
    We regularly frequent Angelo's at Lochend / Marionville when there's an evening game at ER. Chips are great, as is the haggis.

Beats hands-down in my opinion my local chippy of the Bar-B-Q in Corstorphine which is very over-rated and even more over-priced!

First Team Breakthrough
    L'Alba D'Oro in Stockbridge is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Gorgie fish bar if its the one im thinking of opposite the mcdonalds then aye, it used to be a very good chippy but believe its not so good as it was.

Eatalias as someone mentioned is very good and sure it won best chippy in edinburgh last year. Its owned/ran by the same family as the vittoria group

I used to visit the one on stenhouse cross a few back which imo was up there as the best, not so sure how goood it is now though.
    Gorgie fish bar is opposite White Park.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    St Andrews in Portobello, or is that too far out of town?

Gorgie Fish Bar is brilliant to be fair , about the only good thing in Gorgie right enough.

Ordered once from Eatalias and it took over 2 hours to deliver a pizza to the Shore and by the time it arrived it was stone cold so never bothered with it again. Also have a mate who ordered from there and prepaid with his card and it was never delivered.

Pierino's down the shore is probably the best chippy in the city IMO but the Gorgie Fish Bar aint far behind.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 08-01-2018 at 04:20 PM.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Either Angelos at Lochend or the Tail End on Leith Walk (although the main guy needs to go on an anger management course, I sometimes think he thinks he is Gordon Ramsay).

Just googled it. Defo the chippy I had before the semi final other year.

Good chippy. Missing bits but otherall a good 8.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Probably a tough one to quantify as people tend to go to a regular one or two chippys only. Can't imagine many folk travel across Edinburgh to try different ones.

I'm a long time away from Edinburgh but Deep Sea 2 at the top of the walk was good as I recall. Still there? As an aside the two best fish suppers I recall were in stonehaven (en route or back from pittodrie) and in North Berwick when I was a kid. Also, the chipper off Leith walk, was it Brunswick? Italian shops all down one side of the street barber, chippy and shop, chaps name was "polliti" and im sure the barber shop was Luigies (sp) Leith's own little Italy.

Left by mutual consent!
    There was a sit in chippy I often visited when I used to work near the now Festival Theatre, maybe called the City Cafe or something similar. Don't know if its still there though. Not the greatest ever chippy food but really good for a sit in with friends or family for a chat and a chippy with a cup of tea.

The Corbie in Davidsons Mains does a terrific big sized fish with the chips not too bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    I'm a long time away from Edinburgh but Deep Sea 2 at the top of the walk was good as I recall. Still there? As an aside the two best fish suppers I recall were in stonehaven (en route or back from pittodrie) and in North Berwick when I was a kid. Also, the chipper off Leith walk, was it Brunswick? Italian shops all down one side of the street barber, chippy and shop, chaps name was "polliti" and im sure the barber shop was Luigies (sp) Leith's own little Italy.
    Yeah. Deep Sea is still there.

Another couple to throw into the mix.

Pierinos in Bernard Street, Leith

The Montgomery - Leith Walk end of Montgomery Street.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    The barracuda in northfield was brilliant until the guy sold it to giovannis. They bought him out as he was taking so much business from them. It’s now just an average chippy.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Probably a tough one to quantify as people tend to go to a regular one or two chippys only. Can't imagine many folk travel across Edinburgh to try different ones.
    Having lived in a couple areas of Edinburgh and visited others, I've been to a few - obviously not all. I think eatalias was my favourite I'd say but you're obviously right that I've not tried them all (there's a new years resolution in there).

Prefer the ones at home (Fife) and my girlfriend's home (Scarborough) though.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I don’t eat fish, but you can’t beat a Chicken supper from the BBQ in corstorphine

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    The Jubilee down Granton is decent. Never been but I've noticed it mentioned on this thread - Pierinos down the shore is supposed to be good. Francos along Stockbridge used to be my go-to chippy until Nino and Franco sold it last year. Still called Francos, ran by different folk, nowhere near as good.

Lalba Doro in my opinion is hugely over-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    or chippies as they are known down south. Any recommendations for the capitals best fish and chips? I have a mate whose a Jambo (I know, I know) and he swears by the Gorgie fish bar, is it any good or is he just wearing his hideously maroon coloured spectacles?
    They’re actually known as chippies up here too.

Calling it a ‘fish bar” should mean an automatic punch in the face.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They’re actually known as chippies up here too.

Calling it a ‘fish bar” should mean an automatic punch in the face.
    A fish walks into the bar, the barman asks - 'What would you like tonight Sir?'. The fish replies - 'Just my usual pint of sea water please'.

Christ! Even Russell Howard is funnier than that.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    The Jubilee down Granton is decent. Never been but I've noticed it mentioned on this thread - Pierinos down the shore is supposed to be good. Francos along Stockbridge used to be my go-to chippy until Nino and Franco sold it last year. Still called Francos, ran by different folk, nowhere near as good.

Lalba Doro in my opinion is hugely over-rated.
    It is overrated. I much prefer Alsatian!😂😂

Fasciones in Junction Street was my all(old?) time favourite.Long gone of course As are Carl and his brother in Trafalgar Street with their coal fired range.Nowadays are poor substitutes and a fish supper is as expensive as my dad's first car(£8 1939 Morris Minor).

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    It is overrated. I much prefer Alsatian!😂😂

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    We regularly frequent Angelo's at Lochend / Marionville when there's an evening game at ER. Chips are great, as is the haggis.

Beats hands-down in my opinion my local chippy of the Bar-B-Q in Corstorphine which is very over-rated and even more over-priced!

Great chippy! Their pizzas are superb.

Stopped going to the BBQ as the chips were a bit on the soggy side and now go to Roberto's at Duart, which although not brilliant is the better chippy IMO.

Remember when the chips were cooked in lard? Ah, now that was when chips were great.

Fish suppers are getting a bit too pricey.
    The wife and I sometimes share one. I get most of the chips. Times are hard!