hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 46 of 46
  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Redhill, Nottingham
    Posts
    7,485
    Didn't personally feel the penalty was two touches. For me his standing leg (right) slid alongside the ball as he slipped but didn't touch the ball. Very close to doing so though.

    I think Arsenal were repaid for the arrogance today. They came to the City Ground last year, fielded something like a third team and smashed Forest. Obviously Wenger thought they could do that again.

    Smiled at the Forest supporters singing 'Champions of Europe, you'll never sing that'. Well done the Garibaldi Reds.
    Last edited by stu in nottingham; 07-01-2018 at 08:15 PM.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

    My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    10,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a pity then for their fans then.
    I count myself as an Arsenal fan, first saw them as a child. There's an element of frustration with Wenger - his stubborness over certain players, his always finding the most difficult way to secure a goalscorer (albeit it generally works).

    I would have obviously liked Arsenal to win more trophies under Wenger but I wouldn't swap for the world the sheer elan and style that they play with, when at their best. He's managed to do it with every iteration of his teams and it reminds me why football is something that can be loved.

    I don't think I would change a thing with Wenger - the prettiest,most breathtaking, kinetic and sumptious football I've seen has been from his teams. Maybe hasn't delivered tons of silverware but in a funny way I don't mind.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  4. #33
    Coaching Staff jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    13,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I count myself as an Arsenal fan, first saw them as a child. There's an element of frustration with Wenger - his stubborness over certain players, his always finding the most difficult way to secure a goalscorer (albeit it generally works).

    I would have obviously liked Arsenal to win more trophies under Wenger but I wouldn't swap for the world the sheer elan and style that they play with, when at their best. He's managed to do it with every iteration of his teams and it reminds me why football is something that can be loved.

    I don't think I would change a thing with Wenger - the prettiest,most breathtaking, kinetic and sumptious football I've seen has been from his teams. Maybe hasn't delivered tons of silverware but in a funny way I don't mind.

    Plenty of other Arsenal fans do though!

    They pay the highest ticket prices in Europe but are now used to terminal decline. And they are not as watchable as they used to be.

    I can see why so many are now bored of Wenger. He should have gone last summer (and several times before that).

  5. #34
    Coaching Staff lyonhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zurich
    Age
    33
    Posts
    11,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No not having it, the ref was right.
    A fairly rudimentary understanding of physics would tell you that was a double touch just from the angle of approach of his "actual" kicking foot.

    Anyway, I don't think Arsenal can have any real complaints with the result (though of course Arsene will) Forest were the better team.

  6. #35
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    10,276
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plenty of other Arsenal fans do though!

    They pay the highest ticket prices in Europe but are now used to terminal decline. And they are not as watchable as they used to be.

    I can see why so many are now bored of Wenger. He should have gone last summer (and several times before that).
    Can't agree with that. When Ozil is on his game they are as scintillating as at any time over the last twenty years.

    Wilshere's goal against Norwich last year is up there as one of the best, and most illustrative, of the Wenger era.

    Against Chelsea the other night, Maitland-Niles was probably the best player on the pitch, playing what was very recognisably a Wenger-Arsenal style. He's got Reiss Nelson and Jeff Reine-Adelaide playing the same style and pushing for a starting place.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  7. #36
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    21,803
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plenty of other Arsenal fans do though!

    They pay the highest ticket prices in Europe but are now used to terminal decline. And they are not as watchable as they used to be.

    I can see why so many are now bored of Wenger. He should have gone last summer (and several times before that).
    Terminal decline? Possibly the most dramatic nonsense ive heard on the subject. Terminal decline? Really? Seriously? By the way Iím a football fan not necessarily an Arsenal fan. Just a fan of good football.

  8. #37
    I think it comes to down to finance. Do Arsenal have the financial muscle to compete for the title now?

    Wenger is a strange one. He basically moulded the perfect team in the invincibles season but broke it up quite quickly afterwards and has never seemed to follow the same path again. I remember a pundit saying he was so focusssd on the asthetics of the game he almost forgot about results and trophies; I wonder if there is something in that?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    21,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it comes to down to finance. Do Arsenal have the financial muscle to compete for the title now?

    Wenger is a strange one. He basically moulded the perfect team in the invincibles season but broke it up quite quickly afterwards and has never seemed to follow the same path again. I remember a pundit saying he was so focusssd on the asthetics of the game he almost forgot about results and trophies; I wonder if there is something in that?
    I think itís as simple as he is determined to bring Youths through to the first team. There was a programme on after the game today on BT Sport about pro youth set ups etc. He was interviewed and said it was getting harder and harder to get the young players into the side. He was also talking about how young players get too much too young. That was the general theme of the programme. He reckoned until there wa a cap on youth players wages the. English football will continue to suffer. Too much too young. He was highlighting the demise of players from 17- 21 as their playing opportunities are few and far between too as clubs needed points at their expense.
    I do realise itís a problem up here too.
    Last edited by greenlex; 07-01-2018 at 09:48 PM.

  10. #39
    #dotnettopboiz Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    8,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it comes to down to finance. Do Arsenal have the financial muscle to compete for the title now?
    Yes. Two of the owners are outrageously wealthy, IIRC both more so than Abramovich.

    It's just neither they, or other members of the board, are leading the club. So long as they maintain the money being made they aren't bothered. If they were, they'd have sacked Wenger years ago. They haven't.

    Their leadership bleeds down. Wenger knows he's safe regardless, the players know it doesn't really matter how they perform they'll be paid regardless, Wenger has stuck by mediocre players for years.
    21.05.2016. I Was There.
    .net PM board "Biggest Slaver of the year 2014"
    The Famous Haymaker
    Less talk, more gifs. :

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't agree with that. When Ozil is on his game they are as scintillating as at any time over the last twenty years.

    Wilshere's goal against Norwich last year is up there as one of the best, and most illustrative, of the Wenger era.

    Against Chelsea the other night, Maitland-Niles was probably the best player on the pitch, playing what was very recognisably a Wenger-Arsenal style. He's got Reiss Nelson and Jeff Reine-Adelaide playing the same style and pushing for a starting place.

    Not to disagree with your point, but that Wilshere goal was in 2013

  12. #41
    Coaching Staff hfc rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    5,106
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: RD4138MU
    You look at every other top six side in the Premier League and they were quite close to full strength. Arsenal are in no way nailed on for Top 4 - if anything, they're the least likely to make it. Arsenal's best chance this season would be to focus purely on the Cup competitions they're in, but they continually play weakened sides in order to fail in the Premier League anyway.

    Europa League, I cant see them winning that especially with Dortmund, Atletico & Napoli now in it from the CL 3rd place dropouts.

    No surprise that both Sanchez & Ozil are wanting to leave.

  13. #42
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    10,276
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to disagree with your point, but that Wilshere goal was in 2013
    My mistake. As I get older time seems to change

    I won't try too hard to think of an alternative but Giroud's scorpion kick from last season springs to mind, as does Ozil's goal against Ludogorets where he had defenders tumbling like skittles.

    Both of those were individual brilliance rather than that fluid, kinetic team play to which I was alluding, though they've repeatedly done that this season, both with the first XI and the Europa/League Cup sides. Maybe nothing quite as tricksy as that Wilshere goal though.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  14. #43
    Coaching Staff jgl07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Merchiston
    Posts
    6,666
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You look at every other top six side in the Premier League and they were quite close to full strength. Arsenal are in no way nailed on for Top 4 - if anything, they're the least likely to make it. Arsenal's best chance this season would be to focus purely on the Cup competitions they're in, but they continually play weakened sides in order to fail in the Premier League anyway.

    Europa League, I cant see them winning that especially with Dortmund, Atletico & Napoli now in it from the CL 3rd place dropouts.

    No surprise that both Sanchez & Ozil are wanting to leave.
    I wish I knew what Wenger was playing for. The youth development argument for playing a weakened team does not stack up. In a tough away match to Championship opposition, the worst thing you could do is to put a load of youngsters in and risk destroying their confidence. By all means put in a couple or maybe three.

    What are Arsenal saving their best players for? The League Cup sf against Chelsea or next week against Bournemouth? Surely not the Europa Lesgue match next month? Knowing Wenger he will probably put out weakened teams in both the LC and the EL.

    Arsenal have a very good recent record in the FA Cup and it ought to have been their top priority. They will not win the PL (24 points adrift). They will find the EL hard going with Napoli, Atletico, and Dortmund around. The LC also looks a tough call with Chelsea in the way and potentially Man City in the final.

    That leaves the top-four to go for. I do not see that happening. On recent form, Chelsea and Liverpool look good bets to join Man City. That leaves Arsenal battling it out with Tottenham and Man United for the final place.

    I like Arsenal and the way that they play but they are going nowhere under Wenger. Their decline continues. They were serious title contenders up to ten years ago. They were fixtures in the top-four untill last season. With Ozil and Sanchez on their way, the top six looks like the best they can do.

  15. #44
    Coaching Staff jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    13,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't agree with that. When Ozil is on his game they are as scintillating as at any time over the last twenty years.

    Wilshere's goal against Norwich last year is up there as one of the best, and most illustrative, of the Wenger era.

    Against Chelsea the other night, Maitland-Niles was probably the best player on the pitch, playing what was very recognisably a Wenger-Arsenal style. He's got Reiss Nelson and Jeff Reine-Adelaide playing the same style and pushing for a starting place.

    My Arsenal mates tell me the football is noticeably worse most of the time.

  16. #45
    Coaching Staff jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    13,095
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Terminal decline? Possibly the most dramatic nonsense ive heard on the subject. Terminal decline? Really? Seriously? By the way Iím a football fan not necessarily an Arsenal fan. Just a fan of good football.

    Well obviously this is football, so things can change quickly and hyperbolic language is compulsory!

    If Wenger stays though, I can't see any improvement. Going into next season there will be no Sanchez or Ozil and Arsenal might be looking over their shoulder at who could force them out of the top six, let alone looking up.

    Do you really think they can finish top 4 this season? I just can't see it.

  17. #46
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    58
    Posts
    48,008
    My son who live in St Albans wanted a season ticket for the emirates, but for years had to settle for a club membership, which got him in a couple of games a season if he was lucky.

    He can get in most of the time these days with that membership, but he'd rather watch Hibs.

    His mates are not going so much either, not sure of the percentage of the entire support, but all his mates want Wenger out?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved