hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobs

Left by mutual consent!

Jobs

I’ve just been made redundant from my work, a month before Christmas which is far from ideal. I will literally take anything to get me through Christmas/New Year, I just need cash for the festive period. So I’ll pop the question... Does anyone know of any jobs going?

I’d prefer the building trade but I undertand that will be difficult with most places closing for Christmas in a few weeks. I know beggars can’t be choosers in my situation!

Thanks guys.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Give Royal Mail a try.

Amazon in Dunfermline?

Supermarkets usually have temporary jobs for December.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Ipsos Mori always used to need staff. It's zero hour contract and dreadful by the sounds of things but may suit you if you need something to tide you over.

Other thing, which may be fully staffed by now, is the Christmas market. Various stalls and odd jobs needing done until the new year.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve just been made redundant from my work, a month before Christmas which is far from ideal. I will literally take anything to get me through Christmas/New Year, I just need cash for the festive period. So I’ll pop the question... Does anyone know of any jobs going?

I’d prefer the building trade but I undertand that will be difficult with most places closing for Christmas in a few weeks. I know beggars can’t be choosers in my situation!

Thanks guys.

What a time of year to be made redundant.

I wish you all the best.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar

Thanks guys.
    Same here mate the company I worked for closed the doors last Friday and told us to get out. So not the best time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    At this time of year Argos recruit.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

Thanks guys.
    Think you past your driving test recently didn’t you? Have a look for delivery jobs.

I was at the cash machine at slumdog Indian restaurant on Leith walk this morning and they had a poster in their window looking for a delivery driver.

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Think you past your driving test recently didn’t you? Have a look for delivery jobs.

I was at the cash machine at slumdog Indian restaurant on Leith walk this morning and they had a poster in their window looking for a delivery driver.
    Courier companies also an option.

@hibs.net private member
    Most companies wont take you as a driver until your 25 and been driving at least three years with a clean licence. My son was lucky enough to be taken on by a friend as a delivery driver for a few months a couple.of years ago but the insurance was more than the van was worth. He was 20 with a licence for three years.After he left there he couldn't get any other driving jobs. Possibly places where you use your own transport? Maybe dominos? I dunno.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Courier companies also an option.
    The conditions at these places are supposed to be atrocious. Sure I read DPD give you 10 days A/L a year, you have to use at least 5 days at a time and you can’t use all 10 at once, so basically you got 2 x one week off. And they also fine you for being off sick? So not only do you not get paid, you have to pay them. Dunno if anyone on here works for them and would be able to shed some light as to whether it was nonsense?
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 29-11-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Shop work over the Xmas period, or even resteraunt work, dishes etc. Might me a something. Problem with that is anti social hours.

Edit: what about presenting yourself wihh hard hat boots cscs etc at the big site at St James. Not sure it would work but maybe worth a go.
    Last edited by beensaidbefore; 29-11-2018 at 05:35 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    The conditions at these places are supposed to be atrocious. Sure I read DPD give you 10 days A/L a year, you have to use at least 5 days at a time and you can’t use all 10 at once, so basically you got 2 x one week off. And they also fine you for being off sick? So not only do you not get paid, you have to pay them. Dunno if anyone on here works for them and would be able to shed some light as to whether it was nonsense?
    Would that not be illegal, to fine someone for being off sick?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    Would that not be illegal, to fine someone for being off sick?
    I would have thought so.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/26/dpd-to-offer-couriers-sick-pay-and-abolish-fines-don-lane-death

Apparently it was £150 a day you got fined but it’s now been abolished.

Can't speak for DPD but, in my experience, couriers are usually 'third party'. A courier company will have the contract and couriers working on a self employed basis will be signed up to and managed by that company.

I've heard similar stories. Couriers are paid a day rate. They know what time they'd have to finish to be earning the equivalent of minimum wage but are given so much work there is no chance of finishing at that time.

As they are self employed I don't expect they'd get paid sick leave. I've heard situations where couriers are fined - probably liable for the cost of covering their route at short notice - but I don't think it happens in every case.

There is generally a squeeze across the parcel delivery industry. Less warehouse staff handling higher volumes. Routes getting merged so less drivers are taking more deliveries. Little to no money being spent on infrastructure. Cost saving anywhere and everywhere.

I wouldn't recommend it but sometimes a job is a job.

Pizza shop on South Clerk Street looking for counter staff. Just along from the wineglass pub.

Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    Pizza shop on South Clerk Street looking for counter staff. Just along from the wineglass pub.
    On a similar note the likes of Pizza Hut, Dominos etc are always looking for delivery drivers. It's crap hours and minimum wage but you get an extra payment per delivery (usually £1) and it's weekly pay. As a stop gap or extra earner there are worse jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Can't speak for DPD but, in my experience, couriers are usually 'third party'. A courier company will have the contract and couriers working on a self employed basis will be signed up to and managed by that company.

I've heard similar stories. Couriers are paid a day rate. They know what time they'd have to finish to be earning the equivalent of minimum wage but are given so much work there is no chance of finishing at that time.

As they are self employed I don't expect they'd get paid sick leave. I've heard situations where couriers are fined - probably liable for the cost of covering their route at short notice - but I don't think it happens in every case.

There is generally a squeeze across the parcel delivery industry. Less warehouse staff handling higher volumes. Routes getting merged so less drivers are taking more deliveries. Little to no money being spent on infrastructure. Cost saving anywhere and everywhere.

I wouldn't recommend it but sometimes a job is a job.
    What actually is your experience ? The vast majority of what you have said is pish. Any courier not employed by a company is self employed, they have the same rights as any self employed person. If they choose to give a service to any company , then they should fulfil it or have a substitute in their absence.

This woe is me courier business does my nut, a massive percentage of them don't declare through various means, false names, different bank accounts, uninsured vehicles.

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    I don't have any experience of working for them myself, although have heard some negative stories. I didn't mention that in my reply as the OP said they will literally take anything and I didn't want to derail his thread about jobs with social commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    What actually is your experience ? The vast majority of what you have said is pish. Any courier not employed by a company is self employed, they have the same rights as any self employed person. If they choose to give a service to any company , then they should fulfil it or have a substitute in their absence.

This woe is me courier business does my nut, a massive percentage of them don't declare through various means, false names, different bank accounts, uninsured vehicles.
    There is a big difference between a genuinely self employed courier and a sub contractor working for the big parcel companies. I wouldn't recommend a sub contractor job. I'm still waiting on a reply, from Uk Mail, to my letter asking for holiday pay after the dpd guys won their court case.

First Team Breakthrough
    My eldest boy is doing Amazon deliveries . He’s only 19.
    £54 for a few hours work. You use your own car and fuel though.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    Hope he’s remembered to alter his car insurance to cover business use. I know someone who lost out big time through not doing it.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Are the Amazon drivers self-employed?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Hope he’s remembered to alter his car insurance to cover business use. I know someone who lost out big time through not doing it.
    I’ve had that discussion with him and he seems to think that they cover him as long as he is fully comp.

I did say that he would need to alter his insurance but he seems to know differently .

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

I’m not really sure. I’ll ask him later.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I’ve had that discussion with him and he seems to think that they cover him as long as he is fully comp.

I did say that he would need to alter his insurance but he seems to know differently .
    Which definitely isn’t the case, trust me.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    You must notify insurance.If involved in accident while delivering his insurance will be null and void.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

Yes they are , i was doing it last xmas .

You have to register for self assessment and pay your own tax but you are covered by amazon for insurance .
    If it gets busy they pay more than £54 . I was getting anything between £75 and £92 for 4 hours in the run up to xmas last year .

First Team Breakthrough
    Well that’s that cleared up then