hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oli Shaw (3 Year Deal Signed)

A stats graphic produced by https://thebackpassrule.com/

Don’t ask me what it all means, I’m still trying to understand it. They do a lot of interesting blogs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Might be missing something but I couldn't see anything about Oli Shaw in there?

I did however see the club stats table and found it interesting that we have one of the lowest "shots against per game" and one of the highest "goals conceded per game" of any team in the league.

Think it perfectly sums up the defence this season and shows how well we could be doing if we worked out how to tighten it all up!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

and one of the highest "goals conceded per game" of any team in the league.
    That cannae be right, more than half the teams in the league have conceded more than we have.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    That cannae be right, more than half the teams in the league have conceded more than we have.
    I think it is highest goals conceded “per shot against”, in the league Ie. Higher percentage of chances against result in a goal. That makes sense when you watch us

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Might be missing something but I couldn't see anything about Oli Shaw in there?
    He's probably referring to a tweet made by the blogger on Oli's shot performance, which is in the sidebar.

https://twitter.com/TheBackpassRule/...08177894445056

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I think it is highest goals conceded “per shot against”, in the league Ie. Higher percentage of chances against result in a goal. That makes sense when you watch us
    I said as much not long ago so it comes as no surprise that the stats confirm it. What makes it more annoying is the number of times we've conceded from the first chance against us, usually after we've put the opponent under a period of sustained pressure without converting any of the chances.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    My bad, this is what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    He's probably referring to a tweet made by the blogger on Oli's shot performance, which is in the sidebar.

Cheers.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post

Can you summarise please

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Can you summarise please
    Basically, Shaw hits shots from areas he's likely to score. Based on some sort of metric the guy(or maybe it's more widely known) has calculated for the likelihood of a goal.

As for our goals conceded : opposition chances ratio - I'm not sure it's altogether that negative a stat. We don't give away numerous half chances at our goal, other teams have to work harder to get a rarer but good chance that comes with us conceding a higher % of our shots against.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Can you summarise please
    It's limited data and I have a relatively limited understanding, but I read it as Oli does better than expected and very much in the area that is central and a bit beyond the six-yard box.

That fits with my experience of watching him at dev and first-team level. He has really good feet, and can make himself the space to shoot and score from closeish range even when he has a defender or two tight on him.

Some posters talk about us getting a poacher in. I think we have one.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Basically, Shaw hits shots from areas he's likely to score. Based on some sort of metric the guy(or maybe it's more widely known) has calculated for the likelihood of a goal.

As for our goals conceded : opposition chances ratio - I'm not sure it's altogether that negative a stat. We don't give away numerous half chances at our goal, other teams have to work harder to get a rarer but good chance that comes with us conceding a higher % of our shots against.
    Ta

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    It's limited data and I have a relatively limited understanding, but I read it as Oli does better than expected and very much in the area that is central and a bit beyond the six-yard box.

That fits with my experience of watching him at dev and first-team level. He has really good feet, and can make himself the space to shoot and score from closeish range even when he has a defender or two tight on him.

Ta

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post

The metric is xG or "expected goals". You might notice Sky Sports have started quoting this in their match stats this season. I don't think BBC have as yet?

More background here on what it means - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/25/expected-goals-xg-does-show-man-city-should-win-premier-league/amp/

In terms of Oli Shaw, he has 3 goals against an expected goals or xG of 2.09.

@hibs.net private member

I agree, I think Oli has the makings of a far better player than Cummings. Great feet and is brilliant at finding a yard in the box. He actually reminds me a wee bit of Ally McCoist in that he loves getting between the sticks from the penalty spot in. He makes runs that are designed to end up with a shot on goal too not just a run into a channel like Simon Murray. If we could get someone to play up close to him so he could find more space. I am a very regular critic of Stokes but I actually think him and Oli could work well together if Stokes played up front rather than where he fancies. Stokes is great at spotting runs and playing short balls in the box he simply doesn't get near the box often enough to influence the game. He would have to up his effort too.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I agree, I think Oli has the makings of a far better player than Cummings. Great feet and is brilliant at finding a yard in the box. He actually reminds me a wee bit of Ally McCoist in that he loves getting between the sticks from the penalty spot in. He makes runs that are designed to end up with a shot on goal too not just a run into a channel like Simon Murray. If we could get someone to play up close to him so he could find more space. I am a very regular critic of Stokes but I actually think him and Oli could work well together if Stokes played up front rather than where he fancies. Stokes is great at spotting runs and playing short balls in the box he simply doesn't get near the box often enough to influence the game. He would have to up his effort too.
    Never thought of the McCoist comparison but I see where you are coming from. There's also a bit of Peter Crouch about him for me, who scored far better internationally than he did at club level. If he scores at their rates and at the level they were playing at, at the time, then he's looking towards a good career.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Coaching Staff
    Never thought of the McCoist comparison but I see where you are coming from. There's also a bit of Peter Crouch about him for me, who scored far better internationally than he did at club level. If he scores at their rates and at the level they were playing at, at the time, then he's looking towards a good career.
    No pressure but he reminds me of Alan Gordon - especially with his 'celebrations' - similarly understated. Loved the way on Saturday he scores a tap in and he is the one who immediately runs back to the centre spot to kick off, no requirement to go overboard.

The boy is born to score goals

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    No pressure but he reminds me of Alan Gordon - especially with his 'celebrations' - similarly understated. Loved the way on Saturday he scores a tap in and he is the one who immediately runs back to the centre spot to kick off, no requirement to go overboard.

The boy is born to score goals
    I would agree with this. I've seen big scorers at dev level - Damon Gray, Kurtis Byrne et al - but Shaw looks the part at this level

I understand the concerns about how he is bled into first-team football and I think he probably needs patience and understanding next season in particular, if not the last quarter of this season - opposition teams and coaches will have seen him and worked out parts of his game. It's up to him, NL and his teammates to ensure he delivers and that may take a little bit of work as he settles into a first-team role.

I would agree with this. I've seen big scorers at dev level - Damon Gray, Kurtis Byrne et al - but Shaw looks the part at this level

I understand the concerns about how he is bled into first-team football and I think he probably needs patience and understanding next season in particular, if not the last quarter of this season - opposition teams and coaches will have seen him and worked out parts of his game. It's up to him, NL and his teammates to ensure he delivers and that may take a little bit of work as he settles into a first-team role.
    There's a name I'd forgotten about. Was he after or before Ross Campbell? I know Ross was doing okay down the leagues for a bit, are either of them still playing? Gray was from the NE of England was he no?

Anyway, I'm a fan of Shaw and he's done much better than I expected in the little time he's had. I didn't think he should've started the last derby but he's got to start this one.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    There's a name I'd forgotten about. Was he after or before Ross Campbell? I know Ross was doing okay down the leagues for a bit, are either of them still playing? Gray was from the NE of England was he no?

Anyway, I'm a fan of Shaw and he's done much better than I expected in the little time he's had. I didn't think he should've started the last derby but he's got to start this one.
    Don't think either of them are playing. I see Gray was at Osterunds a few seasons ago (granted they will have been a lower league club at the time).

The commentary was
    but worth noting that all his goals have come from a shot with an xG > 0.2.
    I think the theory is that if xG is staying high then he's consistently getting into good positions he'd expect to score from.

When he scored against Hearts Oli made Souttar,who we are told can go to the highest level,look extremely foolish and flat footed.Playing close to Stokes would push him on,even by failing to read the clever passes Stokes can make would teach him something.

New contracted signed. 3 years.

Great news!

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Just signed a new 3 year deal. Great news.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Dibben View Post
    New contracted signed. 3 years.

Great news!
    Just seen on SSN

Hopefully a great future lies ahead.

Brilliant news, and well deserved Oli

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I don't think we make many clear cut chances during a normal game, certainly not as many as our possession deserves.

Players like Shaw thrive on service and poaching goals, and so far from the poor scraps he's had to feed off has done superb.

Great news about the new 3 year deal.

Hibs doing good business yet again. Well done to Oli, looks a real good prospect.

Delighted with this
    This is how it feels