hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 37
  1. #1
    Coaching Staff 21.05.2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,742

    Jon Venables charged over indecent images of children

    The sick ****er should now be locked away FOR LIFE and exposed. Enough really is enough, no more chances, no more new identities funded by the tax payer. Keep him locked up for the rest of his life.

    IMO, I can understand giving them a new identity the first time but to give him a second one was a joke. He's continuously re-offended outside of jail. Once he blew his chance after being released the first time, that should have been that. He clearly cannot be rehabilitated and is still a danger to society.

    Hope the ******* rots.
    Last edited by 21.05.2016; 05-01-2018 at 02:53 PM.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member --------'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    25,324
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The sick ****er should now be locked away FOR LIFE and exposed. Enough really is enough, no more chances, no more new identities funded by the tax payer. Keep him locked up for the rest of his life.

    IMO, I can understand giving them a new identity the first time but to give him a second one was a joke. He's continuously re-offended outside of jail. Once he blew his chance after being released the first time, that should have been that.

    Hope the ******* rots.

    I suppose some 'expert' decided he was safe to be released.

  4. #3
    Coaching Staff 21.05.2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suppose some 'expert' decided he was safe to be released.
    the same "experts" that have just decided that guy with over 100 rapes and sexual assaults to his name is safe to be released into society

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member --------'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    25,324
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the same "experts" that have just decided that guy with over 100 rapes and sexual assaults to his name is safe to be released into society
    Indeed.

  6. #5
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33,700
    This guy, whatever his name is now, is no longer the "innocent" wee boy that is universally shown from his 1993 mugshot following his arrest for the murder of James Bulger.

    This is a 35 year old man that we're talking about here, who has been in and out of prison several times now ever since his initial release in 2001 for serious offences relating to the possession of child pornography.

    This is someone who is clearly unable to control his behaviour and has a very unhealthy sexual interest in young children. The time, money and effort that it must take to keep his identity a secret should be enough of a reason to keep him in prison. The fact that he is continually reoffending should be the final factor which determines that he must be kept behind bars.

    The public need to be kept safe from people like him. He has shown that he cannot be rehabilitated and the only solution is to keep him locked up.

    No more chances.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  7. #6
    Coaching Staff 21.05.2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This guy, whatever his name is now, is no longer the "innocent" wee boy that is universally shown from his 1993 mugshot following his arrest for the murder of James Bulger.

    This is a 35 year old man that we're talking about here, who has been in and out of prison several times now ever since his initial release in 2001 for serious offences relating to the possession of child pornography.

    This is someone who is clearly unable to control his behaviour and has a very unhealthy sexual interest in young children. The time, money and effort that it must take to keep his identity a secret should be enough of a reason to keep him in prison. The fact that he is continually reoffending should be the final factor which determines that he must be kept behind bars.

    The public need to be kept safe from people like him. He has shown that he cannot be rehabilitated and the only solution is to keep him locked up.

    No more chances.
    Agreed. A truly sick individual that despite being given countless chances, cannot be rehabilitated.

    His co-offender Robert Thompson seems to have been rehabilitated and living his new life in a good way, he's never been heard of since. So it can be done but some people you just can't fix. What Thompson must be thinking at his former pal doing this and yet again bringing their crime into the public spot light.

    Lock him up for good and ffs stop protecting him! As you say, SDG, he is no longer the baby-faced little boy that we see in his police photo, he's a grown man and should be treated like every other adult offender.

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    13,083
    What happened to the other guy that attacked the child? I take it he’s managed to integrate himself back into everyday life.

    United we stand here....

  9. #8
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33,700
    Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. A truly sick individual that despite being given countless chances, cannot be rehabilitated.

    His co-offender Robert Thompson seems to have been rehabilitated and living his new life in a good way, he's never been heard of since. So it can be done but some people you just can't fix. What Thompson must be thinking at his former pal doing this and yet again bringing their crime into the public spot light.

    Lock him up for good and ffs stop protecting him! As you say, SDG, he is no longer the baby-faced little boy that we see in his police photo, he's a grown man and should be treated like every other adult offender.
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What happened to the other guy that attacked the child? I take it he’s managed to integrate himself back into everyday life.
    Robert Thompson has apparently not reoffended since he was released in 2001. He is reportedly in a long term same sex relationship with a man who knows his real identity.

    Interestingly enough, he was described as the ringleader of the two by investigating officers and had apparently persuaded Jon Venables to carry out their actions that day.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  10. #9
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,290
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What happened to the other guy that attacked the child? I take it he’s managed to integrate himself back into everyday life.
    Could it be that Venables manipulated him to take part in the killing?

  11. #10
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Robert Thompson has apparently not reoffended since he was released in 2001. He is reportedly in a long term same sex relationship with a man who knows his real identity.

    Interestingly enough, he was described as the ringleader of the two by investigating officers and had apparently persuaded Jon Venables to carry out their actions that day.
    I don't think we'll ever know why 2 kids would murder another kid in cold blood.

  12. #11
    Venables was a kid himself when this all started. Some serious stuff must have happened to him before he carried out that heinous crime. Also imo the media must have had at least some bearing on his behaviour post event, he'll have seen everything in print like you or I . I'm not a social worker nor apologist, just trying to understand the bigger picture as surely nobody can be that evil.

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could it be that Venables manipulated him to take part in the killing?
    Who knows, but I seem to remember thinking there must be some kind of sexual element to the batteries etc. Who knows what happened to warp his mind in this way but I reckon their must have been some kind of abuse directed towards him for him to even have those thoughts as a child.

    The whole thing is very sad.

  14. #13
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think we'll ever know why 2 kids would murder another kid in cold blood.
    I don't think we will either but I'm just going on what was reported at the time by the police officers who were interviewing the pair of them and dealing with the investigation.

    Of the two, Thompson was deemed to have played a more active role in James Bulger's abduction and subsequent murder but he has apparently lead a law abiding life since his release, whereas Venables has repeatedly fallen foul of the law and been recalled to prison several times.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think we will either but I'm just going on what was reported at the time by the police officers who were interviewing the pair of them and dealing with the investigation.

    Of the two, Thompson was deemed to have played a more active role in James Bulger's abduction and subsequent murder but he has apparently lead a law abiding life since his release, whereas Venables has repeatedly fallen foul of the law and been recalled to prison several times.
    See my comment above.

    No child is born with those demonic thoughts. Whatever happened to him as a young boy manifested itself then and seems to have followed him through to adulthood.

    He can never be forgiven for what he has done, but I have some pity for him as he is clearly a very disturbed, and monster.

  16. #15
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33,700
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See my comment above.

    No child is born with those demonic thoughts. Whatever happened to him as a young boy manifested itself then and seems to have followed him through to adulthood.

    He can never be forgiven for what he has done, but I have some pity for him as he is clearly a very disturbed, and monster.
    Of course his background should be examined to delve further into why he did what he did but I don't think that can always be blamed on his actions, especially now he's a 35 year old man.

    What I will say is there's plenty of people who have had tough childhoods and haven't had good starts in life but they don't go on to abduct, torture, sexually assault and then murder a toddler and then go on to possess serious child pornography.

    He must take responsibility for his actions and he cannot continue to blame his upbringing on every bad decision that he makes.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,981
    Anonymity should have been rescinded as soon as he reoffended
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  18. #17
    Coaching Staff 21.05.2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anonymity should have been rescinded as soon as he reoffended
    Agreed. Shelling out taxpayers money to give him a second identity (which has has now also thrown back in their faces) was a disgrace. Can understand the first time but that should have been their one and only chance. To think about the amount of money we've spent on this deplorable individual to protect him over and over again is sickening

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,394
    Prison has four objectives: punishment, deterrence, rehabilitation and protection of the public. Given that c.25 years of rehabilitation has not had the desired effect, he should probably be kept in prison indefinitely for public protection.
    ​#PERSEVERED


  20. #19
    johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who knows, but I seem to remember thinking there must be some kind of sexual element to the batteries etc. Who knows what happened to warp his mind in this way but I reckon their must have been some kind of abuse directed towards him for him to even have those thoughts as a child.

    The whole thing is very sad.
    I think Venables was himself sexually abused by his brother.

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Venables was himself sexually abused by his brother.
    Makes it all the more cruel to know he contributed to the abuse of other children.

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    20,157
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who knows, but I seem to remember thinking there must be some kind of sexual element to the batteries etc. Who knows what happened to warp his mind in this way but I reckon their must have been some kind of abuse directed towards him for him to even have those thoughts as a child.

    The whole thing is very sad.
    There’s only one way that young kids learn how to perpetrate sexual abuse, sadly.

    In terms of these latest charges, of course it is relatively serious. However, clearly seriousness has a bit of a scale, and thankfully he hasn’t reoffended in anything like the same manner. So, his release has been partially ‘successful’ in that he has not directly harmed another person.

    Not condoning his use of these images, but such charges are not the type to attract permanent life imprisonment. That said, considering his past, not a good look. A very damaged individual no doubt.

    As for the identity, releasing it now would just be ludicrous. Some idiot would assault / kill him and then all you have is another murderer in prison for the state to pay for.

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    20,157
    Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. Shelling out taxpayers money to give him a second identity (which has has now also thrown back in their faces) was a disgrace. Can understand the first time but that should have been their one and only chance. To think about the amount of money we've spent on this deplorable individual to protect him over and over again is sickening
    Exactly how much money do you think it costs to change a name? Absolute drop in the ocean of taxpayers money.

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    20,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course his background should be examined to delve further into why he did what he did but I don't think that can always be blamed on his actions, especially now he's a 35 year old man.

    What I will say is there's plenty of people who have had tough childhoods and haven't had good starts in life but they don't go on to abduct, torture, sexually assault and then murder a toddler and then go on to possess serious child pornography.

    He must take responsibility for his actions and he cannot continue to blame his upbringing on every bad decision that he makes.
    Has he himself ever blamed his upbringing?

    Like it or not, the majority of kids are a product of their environment. There’s a ‘tough’ start in life, and there’s an absolutely abusive start in life where violence and sexual abuse is absolutely normal everyday occurrence at home.

    While you say there are people who come out of that and have a normal life (I don’t know any), you’ll find that the HUGE majority of individuals who commit these crimes have had a horrendous upbringing.

    Such an upbringing is totally different from someone from a loving family who don’t have a lot of money or the like, incidentally.

    It’s too easy for people who’ve had a normal upbringing to dismiss the effect that has on people. Just imagine where you’d be if, for example, you had parents who didn’t work and subjected you to violence and/or sexual abuse day in day out for years on end. It doesn’t bear thinking about.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly how much money do you think it costs to change a name? Absolute drop in the ocean of taxpayers money.
    Spent over a £1m on it so far,it's his identity they hide not just change his name.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibby; 08-01-2018 at 07:33 AM.

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    20,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Spent over a £1m on it so far,it's his identity they hide not just change his name.
    Where is that figure from?

    Even so, had he been in prison this whole time, more would’ve been spent in total and they’d have still had to have given him a new identity!

    What should be remembered is that it is the very people complaining about him having a new identity that are the reason he needs one...

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where is that figure from?

    Even so, had he been in prison this whole time, more would’ve been spent in total and they’d have still had to have given him a new identity!

    What should be remembered is that it is the very people complaining about him having a new identity that are the reason he needs one...
    Really? I'm complaining yet he doesn't need one to be protected from me. The figure has been well publicised as I have read and heard it several times. It's not really the financial cost that matters though is it? It's the cost to the people/children who are used to satisfy the taste of him and others.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    20,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? I'm complaining yet he doesn't need one to be protected from me. The figure has been well publicised as I have read and heard it several times. It's not really the financial cost that matters though is it? It's the cost to the people/children who are used to satisfy the taste of him and others.
    Clearly I don’t mean EVERY single person that complains. I’m sure you get the point.

    I don’t understand your final point?

  29. #28
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    47
    Posts
    15,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There’s only one way that young kids learn how to perpetrate sexual abuse, sadly.

    In terms of these latest charges, of course it is relatively serious. However, clearly seriousness has a bit of a scale, and thankfully he hasn’t reoffended in anything like the same manner. So, his release has been partially ‘successful’ in that he has not directly harmed another person.

    Not condoning his use of these images, but such charges are not the type to attract permanent life imprisonment. That said, considering his past, not a good look. A very damaged individual no doubt.

    As for the identity, releasing it now would just be ludicrous. Some idiot would assault / kill him and then all you have is another murderer in prison for the state to pay for.
    I was wondering what was taking you so long to appear on this thread.

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    20,157
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was wondering what was taking you so long to appear on this thread.
    Good, balanced argument.

  31. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In terms of these latest charges, of course it is relatively serious. However, clearly seriousness has a bit of a scale, and thankfully he hasn’t reoffended in anything like the same manner. So, his release has been partially ‘successful’ in that he has not directly harmed another person.
    Aye fantastic results, let's pop the champagne.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved