hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 73

Thread: Irn Bru

  1. #31
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    32,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't work - sugar wouldn't dissolve properly, as it's most likely produced at high pressure/temperature. It's also not cane or caster sugar that's in Irn Bru, so it would have a different taste/property.
    Thought there might be a reason!
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Inka Cola in Peru also outsells the major Cola brands.

    Heavy streak of nationalism in the promotion of that brand as well.
    It's part owned by Coca cola now.

  4. #33
    @hibs.net private member Johnny Clash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh/London
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to love Lilt, but the last few times I drank it I didn't think it tasted as good as I remembered.

    They changed the recipe for that a few years ago to beat the sugar tax and there is much less sugar in it than before.

    It's a bit depressing that I noticed.
    My mate used to make Lilt (near a Paisley I think?) and he says he never touched a drop after pouring in buckets of chemicals/ingredients for the mixture. I suppose loads of things taste great but you wouldnít want to see how they are made (haggis for example)

  5. #34
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to love Lilt, but the last few times I drank it I didn't think it tasted as good as I remembered.

    They changed the recipe for that a few years ago to beat the sugar tax and there is much less sugar in it than before.

    It's a bit depressing that I noticed.
    Iíve noticed a few supermarkets including Lidl do their own brand version of Lilt now. Iím tempted to try it. I love Lilt.

  6. #35
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,502
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's rare, but they do. Had it at Club Tropicana in July.

    So wham! goes your point.
    I take it they never charged you for your drink? ;-)
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 07-01-2018 at 11:37 AM.

  7. #36
    Don't know if it's still available but the fiery bru was excellent.

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    33,213
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I take it they never charged you for your drink? ;-)
    Gratis, right enough, but even so, there was enough for everyone.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  9. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not just that it's sugar light, aspartame is said to cause other issues in people, it's a trigger for serious migraines with me, I have to read the labels and avoid anything with it in

    I have Rheumatoid Arthritis which is an auto-immune disorder. Flare ups are definitely triggered by aspartme. Im not as good at avoiding as i should be though.

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,574
    Has anyone tried the new stuff yet?

    I have them on Facebook and really enjoy the unnecessary outrage it seems to have caused. Irn bru post promotional stuff daily and it's always received with a huge backlash of abuse/complaints.
    Mon the Hibs.

  11. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone tried the new stuff yet?

    I have them on Facebook and really enjoy the unnecessary outrage it seems to have caused. Irn bru post promotional stuff daily and it's always received with a huge backlash of abuse/complaints.

    Saw a blind taste test of new an old 'Bru' on TV the other day. Self proclaimed addicts and experts couldn't really tell the difference and some preferred the new recipe, which suggests much of the outrage is daft.

  12. #41
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    56
    Posts
    22,525
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saw a blind taste test of new an old 'Bru' on TV the other day. Self proclaimed addicts and experts couldn't really tell the difference and some preferred the new recipe, which suggests much of the outrage is daft.
    I work in the Food Trade, and the buyers whoíve tasted it, canít tell the difference

  13. #42
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,574
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saw a blind taste test of new an old 'Bru' on TV the other day. Self proclaimed addicts and experts couldn't really tell the difference and some preferred the new recipe, which suggests much of the outrage is daft.
    Sounds about right for what I was expecting. 😊
    Mon the Hibs.

  14. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone tried the new stuff yet?

    I have them on Facebook and really enjoy the unnecessary outrage it seems to have caused. Irn bru post promotional stuff daily and it's always received with a huge backlash of abuse/complaints.
    I tried it not knowing it was the new stuff and I thought it was a can of diet irn bru before I checked the new sugar content.

    I think it's pretty different.

  15. #44
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,574
    Quote Originally Posted by yonder1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I tried it not knowing it was the new stuff and I thought it was a can of diet irn bru before I checked the new sugar content.

    I think it's pretty different.
    How do you know if it's the new stuff? I know sugar has halved but I don't know what it was before.
    Mon the Hibs.

  16. #45
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,149
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do you know if it's the new stuff? I know sugar has halved but I don't know what it was before.
    It was about 30mg/l concentration beforehand I think?

    I don't think they've changed the branding or indeed added any kind of 'New Recipe' banner to the product, but the sugar content should tell you whether it's the new recipe cans.

    I haven't drunk 'normal' Irn Bru in years, so I might try it to see if I notice the difference. I actually find Xtra to be quite close to the original taste, without the dissolving of teeth sensation that accompanies the original.

  17. #46
    It's the folk bulk buying diet Irn Bru that I don't get

  18. #47
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,149
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was about 30mg/l concentration beforehand I think?

    I don't think they've changed the branding or indeed added any kind of 'New Recipe' banner to the product, but the sugar content should tell you whether it's the new recipe cans.

    I haven't drunk 'normal' Irn Bru in years, so I might try it to see if I notice the difference. I actually find Xtra to be quite close to the original taste, without the dissolving of teeth sensation that accompanies the original.
    Bought myself a can when I was in Tesco earlier, just to appease my curiosity. Sure enough, there is a definite difference in taste. Itís closer to a diet run bru than the original stuff. I think Iíll stick to Xtra if I ever fancy one in future as isnít a million miles away from the original taste IMO.

  19. #48
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,574
    Got a can of the new stuff yesterday. I'd maybe have to have it alongside the original to tell the difference, but I didn't notice it being different anyway.

    I'm surprised it now passes the sugar tax threshold though - it still has an incredible amount of sugar in it.
    Mon the Hibs.

  20. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bought myself a can when I was in Tesco earlier, just to appease my curiosity. Sure enough, there is a definite difference in taste. Itís closer to a diet run bru than the original stuff. I think Iíll stick to Xtra if I ever fancy one in future as isnít a million miles away from the original taste IMO.
    I thought you hadn't drank the original in years?

  21. #50
    Testimonial Due Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    2,665
    Had some today, I could tell the difference and not for the better.

  22. #51
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    40
    Posts
    6,245
    Is the change being phased in?

    I just got a bottle from the shop round the corner.

    500ml has 25.8g of sugar, 29%.

    I take it that's the old stuff?

    Tastes great to me.

    I have to watch, I have a sweet tooth for stuff like that, and it isn't good for me.

    Amazing how quickly and easily you can lose weight by eliminating just a few simple things from your diet.

  23. #52
    Had a taste earlier, tastes better I think as it doesnít seem as sweet.

  24. #53
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is the change being phased in?

    I just got a bottle from the shop round the corner.

    500ml has 25.8g of sugar, 29%.

    I take it that's the old stuff?

    Tastes great to me.

    I have to watch, I have a sweet tooth for stuff like that, and it isn't good for me.

    Amazing how quickly and easily you can lose weight by eliminating just a few simple things from your diet.
    That's the reduced sugar version believe it or not.

    The old recipe was 32g per 330ml, new is half that. Also if "aspartame" is listed then it's new.

    I don't understand how those levels of sugars are now below the sugar tax threshold - they're still excessive.
    Mon the Hibs.

  25. #54
    @hibs.net private member Higgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    451
    Just checked some empty bottles Iíve drunk over last few days thinking the new recipe is yet to hit the shops and one of the bottles was the reduced sugar version. Didnít notice any difference whatsoever.

  26. #55
    @hibs.net private member Gatecrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    32
    Posts
    15,013
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I bought a bottle and drinking it now out of curiosity and I have to say there is hardly any difference
    Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price. -Vince Lombardi

  27. #56
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,149
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought you hadn't drank the original in years?
    Habitually, no, I haven't. I've had the odd can here and there (it is (was?) a critical component of hangover recovery), but if I fancy drinking Irn Bru typically, I'll go for Xtra (sugar free before they released Xtra) just to save my teeth.

  28. #57
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,504
    Xtra is decent. It tastes closer to original than the diet version (strangely I have a bottle of the diet at my desk at work).

    The original was just too calorific for me. No way I could justify that much sugar. Iíd rather have a packet of crisps.

    J

  29. #58
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    9,780
    The recent Irn Bru controversy was great publicity for the brand.
    You might almost think they had encouraged it themselves.
    Some bloke stockpiling "original" Irn Bru in his attic?
    Yeah right!!!

  30. #59
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,591
    I notice you canít seem to get normal Robinsonís diluting juice now (at least not at the supermarket I was at yesterday) and the colour of the lids on the no added sugar ones are now what the normal version used to have. We normally get the no added sugar one anyway but I got very confused and initially thought they didnít have the no added sugar version as the branding was different.

    Iím assuming this is as a result of the sugar tax as well.

    I had a bottle of the new Irn Bru the other day and I could notice a difference in the taste... was somewhere between the taste of the old one and the diet version.

  31. #60
    Had a can of the new stuff today.

    They seem to have replaced the hyper sweet sugary taste that left a coating in your mouth and on your teeth with a hyper sweet chemical type taste from the aspartame.

    Wasn't a huge fan before, still not now.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved