hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 73

Thread: Irn Bru

  1. #1
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,754

    Irn Bru

    10g of sugar per 100ml to be reduced to 5g. Folk are in uprour!!


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,390
    They are replacing the sugar with aspartame which doesn't exactly have a good name for itself either

  4. #3
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are replacing the sugar with aspartame which doesn't exactly have a good name for itself either
    I think you need to drink around 20 cans of diet coke a day to hit the safe limit, so 40 cans of new Irn Bru might be about the same. Maybe on a Glasgwegian building site!!

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    57
    Posts
    25,529
    Be interesting to see how this pans out. In agreement with some sort of sugar tax, as we need to reduce it on kids/young adults, but we need to make sure what we replace it with is safe
    At the same time, why havenít the Government taken VAT away from bottles water?

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you need to drink around 20 cans of diet coke a day to hit the safe limit, so 40 cans of new Irn Bru might be about the same. Maybe on a Glasgwegian building site!!
    It's not just that it's sugar light, aspartame is said to cause other issues in people, it's a trigger for serious migraines with me, I have to read the labels and avoid anything with it in

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    10g of sugar per 100ml to be reduced to 5g. Folk are in uprour!!
    They should have changed it and said nothing, then announce they are going to do it, wait for the uproar and boldly announce we done it months ago and you never noticed :-)
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not just that it's sugar light, aspartame is said to cause other issues in people, it's a trigger for serious migraines with me, I have to read the labels and avoid anything with it in
    200 times sweeter than sugar apparently.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North stand
    Posts
    16,404
    People are apparently bulk-buying before the recipe changes.

    If youíre into that sort of thing...

  10. #9
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,431
    I used to love Lilt, but the last few times I drank it I didn't think it tasted as good as I remembered.

    They changed the recipe for that a few years ago to beat the sugar tax and there is much less sugar in it than before.

    It's a bit depressing that I noticed.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People are apparently bulk-buying before the recipe changes.

    If youíre into that sort of thing...
    24 cans for a fiver in Asda, fill your boots.

  12. #11
    Coaching Staff -Jonesy-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Old Toon
    Posts
    5,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to love Lilt, but the last few times I drank it I didn't think it tasted as good as I remembered.

    They changed the recipe for that a few years ago to beat the sugar tax and there is much less sugar in it than before.

    It's a bit depressing that I noticed.
    Lilt has always been the s**test of fizzy juice

  13. #12
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,441
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I understand that as a widely accessible drink (i.e., kids can buy/drink it in stupidly large quantities), it's not the same as alcohol or smoking (which are age limited products), and I understand the need to tackle obesity/diet related illnesses within the population. However, if people are well aware of the impacts 10g/100ml concentration of sugar can have on them, it's up to them if they want to continue to buy the product or not? I don't understand Barr's motivation here - they've recently produced Xtra, which to my tastebuds, is a significant improvement on Diet Irn Bru, which is bloody awful. They have a product that 'tastes just as good' (in my opinion), without the sugar concerns. Surely you keep the original version and it's up to the consumer if they want to continue buying the version that's slightly worse for your diet, wellbeing and teeth...

    I don't buy into the fearmongering stories around aspartame, but it IS safe to say we don't fully understand the impacts it can have on long-term, elevated levels of consumption.

    I understand the government looking to dissuade people from overconsumption of sugary drinks, and taxation as part of a wider strategy (not on its own) is a reasonable step IMO. But the choice still has to be there - we know alcohol and cigarettes aren't good for us, but we can buy them (or not) at our own behest, often paying a premium as a result. Putting full sugar drinks into a 'premium' category is fine, but I don't understand why Barrs have to take the choice out of the consumers' hand altogether - all you'll do is drive away custom.

  14. #13
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,754
    I had the impression that Irn Bru was more of a Glaswegian preference.

    Certainly seemed to be the case when I was a kid.

  15. #14
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33,182
    Can people not just add sugar to their can/bottle of Irn Bru if they want the full fat experience or is that too simplistic? Is there a reason why that wouldn't work?
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  16. #15
    First Team Breakthrough Alfiembra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Embra
    Age
    61
    Posts
    103
    Don’t know if it’s still the case but I remember reading a while back that Irn Bru outsells Coca Cola and Scotland is the only country in the world that Coke isn’t the best selling soft drink.

  17. #16
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Donít know if itís still the case but I remember reading a while back that Irn Bru outsells Coca Cola and Scotland is the only country in the world that Coke isnít the best selling soft drink.
    Inka Cola in Peru also outsells the major Cola brands.

    Heavy streak of nationalism in the promotion of that brand as well.

  18. #17
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,441
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can people not just add sugar to their can/bottle of Irn Bru if they want the full fat experience or is that too simplistic? Is there a reason why that wouldn't work?
    Wouldn't work - sugar wouldn't dissolve properly, as it's most likely produced at high pressure/temperature. It's also not cane or caster sugar that's in Irn Bru, so it would have a different taste/property.

  19. #18
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't work - sugar wouldn't dissolve properly, as it's most likely produced at high pressure/temperature. It's also not cane or caster sugar that's in Irn Bru, so it would have a different taste/property.
    Could you use liquid glucose?

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,846
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't work - sugar wouldn't dissolve properly, as it's most likely produced at high pressure/temperature. It's also not cane or caster sugar that's in Irn Bru, so it would have a different taste/property.
    It would also be ridiculously sweet as the aspartame will have replaced much of the sweetness.

  21. #20
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would also be ridiculously sweet as the aspartame will have replaced much of the sweetness.
    Irn Bru Xtra!!

  22. #21
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,754
    Actually, I think fructose is twice as sweet as sucrose.

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Donít know if itís still the case but I remember reading a while back that Irn Bru outsells Coca Cola and Scotland is the only country in the world that Coke isnít the best selling soft drink.
    Coke isn't sold in Cuba.

    Excuse the pun, but that's really refreshing.

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,515
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Coke isn't sold in Cuba.

    Excuse the pun, but that's really refreshing.
    It's rare, but they do. Had it at Club Tropicana in July.

    So wham! goes your point.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,122
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's rare, but they do. Had it at Club Tropicana in July.

    So wham! goes your point.
    Must have been bootleg. Brought in by the Young Guns.

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,846
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Coke isn't sold in Cuba.

    Excuse the pun, but that's really refreshing.
    You mean you canít actually get a Cuba Libre in Cuba? Disgrace... Petrie/Castro!!!!

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,122
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mean you canít actually get a Cuba Libre in Cuba? Disgrace... Petrie/Castro!!!!
    It's often frowned upon to ask for it by that name.

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,846
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's often frowned upon to ask for it by that name.
    The purists would frown upon asking for a rum with anything in it at all!

  29. #28
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,452
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Must have been bootleg. Brought in by the Young Guns.
    Fantastic!

    I'm your man when it comes to puns on threads.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fantastic!

    I'm your man when it comes to puns on threads.
    Wake me up when this one's gone gone.

  31. #30
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,028
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Must have been bootleg. Brought in by the Young Guns.
    They're bad boys.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved