hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I liked Pat,shame it didn't work out for him but that's football was a weird time went fromsome great results and performances to utter abysmal performances and gubbings to just drab boring performances very strange time,however wish the guy all the best and genuinely think we would have stayed up that season if he stayed on till the end of the season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Nice guy or not (and I think everyone agrees that he is), he should've been sacked within the hour of the final whistle of that final IMHO.

Didn't rate him as a manager. His signings were grim.

Nothing personal.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Reading this thread brings back a lot of events I had clearly compartmentalised in my own mind and just makes me even more grateful for what we have these days - was all of this taking place really as recently as just over five years ago? Just emphasises how much we have come on leaps and bounds in that time.

How satisfying is it that since then chat final Hibs have had the wee team in our back pocket?

Did he really think that an Irish manager could succeed at Hibs?

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice guy or not (and I think everyone agrees that he is), he should've been sacked within the hour of the final whistle of that final IMHO.
    The fact he done well next season and beat them twice shows we made the right decision.

People need to realise there comes a point where sacking managers is pointless and the club has bigger problems. Fenlon was not the problem at that time, he done a great job to have us anywhere near a final that season.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    The fact he done well next season and beat them twice shows we made the right decision.

People need to realise there comes a point where sacking managers is pointless and the club has bigger problems. Fenlon was not the problem at that time, he done a great job to have us anywhere near a final that season.
    He was trying to run the team with both hands tied behind his back, loan after loan, a side that were very poor when he took over, he had us in and around the top 6 for most of his tenure.

That final was never winnable, although the way he set us up was a little surprising. Herts were financially doped to the roof, and of course that bent ref made sure we were ****ed before the game started.

Not the best manager we've ever had, but he did give it his best. The Malmo game was when he should have gone in my opinion, but of course teflon waited longer and then gave the job to another ****in clown.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    He was trying to run the team with both hands tied behind his back, loan after loan, a side that were very poor when he took over, he had us in and around the top 6 for most of his tenure.

That final was never winnable, although the way he set us up was a little surprising. Herts were financially doped to the roof, and of course that bent ref made sure we were ****ed before the game started.

Not the best manager we've ever had, but he did give it his best. The Malmo game was when he should have gone in my opinion, but of course teflon waited longer and then gave the job to another ****in clown.
    "Teflon" gave the job to someone most folk were delighted with at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    "Teflon" gave the job to someone most folk were delighted with at the time.
    How did that turn out then?

What was the point in him appointing managers, when they should just have a fans poll?

How did that turn out then?

What was the point in him appointing managers, when they should just have a fans poll?
    It was smashing, for about two weeks.

We've appointed some shocking managers but I really thought Butcher was a good appointment at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    It was smashing, for about two weeks.

We've appointed some shocking managers but I really thought Butcher was a good appointment at the time.
    Due diligence is the least anyone in charge of Hibs should be doing when appointing a Hibs manager, all he had to do was look at his managerial record.

Inverness apart, he'd been a failure in Australia, England and Scotland. Sacked from club after club, but one bit of success in the highlands and all that was ignored.

Petrie appointed one dud after another, whether we the fans wanted them or not.

@hibs.net private member
    Due diligence is the least anyone in charge of Hibs should be doing when appointing a Hibs manager, all he had to do was look at his managerial record.

Inverness apart, he'd been a failure in Australia, England and Scotland. Sacked from club after club, but one bit of success in the highlands and all that was ignored.

Petrie appointed one dud after another, whether we the fans wanted them or not.

The story I heard about the Butcher appointment was that, for this appointment, there was no due diligence and no alternatives considered. At a board meeting, one of the Directors (not Petrie)..put on the table that there was surely only one man for the job, Butcher. And that he had made an informal enquiry with his Agent which had been met with a warm response. As a result of the discussion that followed the whole board backed the approach and they went out and got him...

Hopefully a process never to be repeated

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    The story I heard about the Butcher appointment was that, for this appointment, there was no due diligence and no alternatives considered. At a board meeting, one of the Directors (not Petrie)..put on the table that there was surely only one man for the job, Butcher. And that he had made an informal enquiry with his Agent which had been met with a warm response. As a result of the discussion that followed the whole board backed the approach and they went out and got him...

Hopefully a process never to be repeated
    That about summed our club up at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Agreed. Being a nice guy is great for his missus and mates but means the square root of hee-haw as to his performance as Hibs manager.