hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member

Edinburgh Marathon 2018

Anyone running this?

Just signed up this week, my current fitness equals zero.

I trained semi-professionally from 1995-2014 until I retired. I literally have not trained since my last official training session and match in May 2014. I'm using the simple beginners marathon training schedule on the official website, 3 mile run today which was actually a breeze albeit at a really slow pace (10 minute miles).

Anyone got any tips?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'm thinking about it. Was training for Stirling last year but got injured shortly after the Inverness half in March and had to pull out. Tbh I wasn't sure a marathon was for me as I really didn't enjoy, or even get anything out of, the longer runs (furthest I got training wise was 17 miles).

My plan for the year was to run a couple of halfs (Inverness again and either Striling or Edinburgh) whilst concentrating on more trail runs but I know a marathon will keep calling me until I give it another go.

@hibs.net private member
    Yeah, I'd thought about it for years. I actually done a full training schedule in 2007 supporting my mate, he still to this day credits me for finishing it. Again, in 2013 I trained with another mate, he's not so forthcoming with credit ha ha.

I did the bupa training plan, I'm fairly sure it's downloadable. I stuck to a 16 week training regime totally religiously beforehand, I'd already done four half marathons so I had a good base to build on. All the info is out there, but key things include taper down the training for the final two weeks, you should be doing your hardest training run two or three weeks before the race. Have a time in mind and find a plan to fit the final finishing time you want. Build in as many different runs as you can; fartleks, race pace, intervals, cross training. I hated hill running, nightmare on the joints but your supposed to build them in too. Carb load the night before, don't forget to slap on the petroleum jelly on the sensitive areas or you'll be bleeding all over the road.

Enjoy

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Almost 20 years of semi professional training surely can't leave you in a bad position, even 3/4 years down the line. So that's a good start.

I done it last year as my first marathon (maybe only, we'll see). It's a fairly common critism to say the course is boring but it's really good for a first as it's pretty flat and the whole experience is not boring at all.

I enjoyed miles 1-18, and then loved the last mile. The 7 others I wasn't too fond of. I didn't get my miles up enough during training and my max was 20 going into race day (not uncommon). I found the first few months of training quite enjoyable then it started to drag and going out for 2/3 half marathons a week is a big time commitment to balance with everything else in life.

My number one tip would be sticky tape over the nipples. They stayed on adequately for the full run and then wash off in the shower.

Best of luck!

Also, footwear. Get yourself properly assessed at a running shop for pronation, and buy the appropriate shoes. If you are doing a 16 week training programme you'll have done so much training running you'll probably need to buy a new pair again before the race, do not buy a new pair too close to the race though because you'll have to wear them in. 3/4 weeks before the race is fine. Good socks very important too.

If you've not done any exercise in over 3 years then training for a marathon in less than 5 months is going to be a challenge. It will obviously depend on how old you are and things like your lifestyle and weight ect

Good luck with it but my tip would be to be realistic with your time and just try and enjoy the run , there will be plenty other opportunities to improve on your time if you fancy doing more in the future.

There's a lot of pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo out there re marathon training. The most important is to have the km in your legs and decent equipment. Find a pace that you can maintain for 20k or so and you'll be fine.

I've done a couple of city marathons and various shorter ones in the Swiss Alps.

@hibs.net private member
    Second training session nailed, found some really good pace today for 45 mins. Solid start lads!

How is the marathon training going, H18?

I've signed up for the 10k the day before - quite looking forward to it! Just trying to build my pace up just now, think I've got it down to below the 50 minute mark at the moment - hopefully be closer to 45 than 50 come race day.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    FWIW, I couldn't run for a bus.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FWIW, I couldn't run for a bus.
    The incentive for that sort of running is much reduced since the glory days of the open-backed bus. Now the success of your run is often determined by whether the driver sees you, whether he/she decides to wait for you, etc etc. Whereas then, you knew that if you ran fast enough you would get on the bus. Even if you had to chase it to the next set of lights 100 metres past the bus stop. Or yards, as distance was then.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    How is the marathon training going, H18?

I've signed up for the 10k the day before - quite looking forward to it! Just trying to build my pace up just now, think I've got it down to below the 50 minute mark at the moment - hopefully be closer to 45 than 50 come race day.

I won't be taking part. Too many issues with my calves, old scar tissue flaring up.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    I won't be taking part. Too many issues with my calves, old scar tissue flaring up.
    That's annoying. Can you deffer entry to save your place going to waste?
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    That’s a shame. I was so hacked off when I realised injury had ruled me out of Stirling last year that I barely ran for months afterwards. Add that to the time the inury took to heal and it was almost a full year without a decent run.

Been back at it for a couple of weeks now and slowly getting back into it. Seriously debating entering the ballot for London next year and giving the marathon one last go, if the injuries flare up again then it’s just not meant to be I suppose.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Stuck my name in the ballot for London. Don't find out until October though.

Fall back plan is Edinburgh or Stirling.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Stuck my name in the ballot for London. Don't find out until October though.

Fall back plan is Edinburgh or Stirling.
    I've stuck my name down also.

Would love to do it at some point (would probably prefer 2020) but figured I'd get the ball rolling as apparently there is less than 10% chance of being picked...
    Mon the Hibs.

I've stuck my name down also.

Would love to do it at some point (would probably prefer 2020) but figured I'd get the ball rolling as apparently there is less than 10% chance of being picked...
    I read it was a 1 in 9 chance this year but I think that included the extra 1000 places draw for those who pay their entry fee up front but are unsuccessful in the ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I read it was a 1 in 9 chance this year but I think that included the extra 1000 places draw for those who pay their entry fee up front but are unsuccessful in the ballot.
    Yeah, I decided not to bother with that.

I think the number of places is fixed and number of people registering could be anything so I'm not sure how accurate that is - I just read an article that suggested it was 7% in 2016, down from 14%, so it's probably in the ballpark though.

Will see how I get on between now and October anyway, would maybe defer it even if I did get in.
    Mon the Hibs.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hanny0762
    Yeah, I decided not to bother with that.

I think the number of places is fixed and number of people registering could be anything so I'm not sure how accurate that is - I just read an article that suggested it was 7% in 2016, down from 14%, so it's probably in the ballpark though.

Will see how I get on between now and October anyway, would maybe defer it even if I did get in.
    I didn't go for that either. Take my chances with the ballot and see how it goes. Plenty other marathons around if it's unsuccessful.

Edinburgh and Alloa halfs up next for me. Ran a PB in the Stirling half yesterday so really looking forward to the next two.