hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Only An Excuse

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The worst part about OAE is it used to be really good. The old radio ahows are on Youtube as are the early TV shows and they are genuinely amusing. It started to go downhill when Tony Roper left then Greg Hemphill held it together as one of the writers for a couple of years but it descended into trying to find the funny bits amongst the dross by the mid 00s and has just got steadily worse every year since.

The writers have a year to come up with that pish and if the BBC had the will they could freshen it up or hand the slot to someone willing to actually try. Incidentally the 2 Rangers fans in my work both find it hillarious which says more than I ever could.
    That's the worst part of it. Only An Excuse used to be a really funny and original take on Scottish football, especially in its radio days. Now it's just a poor excuse (pardon the pun) on humour. I turned on the last 5 mins and seen a sketch on botox (?) flute playing Huns and the nonentity that is Frank McAvennie. Doesn't make me want to go on catch up to watch the other 25 mins.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Phil and Aly and KT Tunstall now. Cutting edge stuff.
    KT Tunstall? I thought it was the checkout out girl from Trollied doing karaoke.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Going against the grain but thought was best one for years. A few laugh out moments and as a stand up comic I appreciate the effort

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Going against the grain but thought was best one for years. A few laugh out moments and as a stand up comic I appreciate the effort

I'm with you, raised more than a few laughs this year in our company.

First Team Breakthrough

I thought it was the best I've seen , yes I enjoyed it , which is more than can be said for the crap that followed it on been 1, 2 and stv , total gash

Enjoyed the Rangers £1 coin bit and Griffiths tying the scarf to the wedding cake, but a swing and a miss other than that for me!

Worst one and sadly it needs to go

Absolutely awful dross.

half the show spent talking about non-football stuff, the only time it got out of Glasgow was a 15 second paisley skit and a couple of rambling North Korea skits. Wtf were the Botox, dog whisperer, 2021 city of culture, etc, sections all about?

they couldn’t find any way of poking fun at hearts new stand? Neil Lennon’s ear cupping incident? Derek McInnes knocking back rangers? Cathro? Boyd and commons working together on tv? Anne budges jacket? No, because that would be acknowledging a world beyond Strathclyde.

It it shows just how Glasgow and old firm-centric BBC Scotland is.

Pathetic

Quote Originally Posted by Paloschi View Post
    We are stuck with it until people stop watching it. And we all do just so we can moan about how ***** it is.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    I missed it last night, I’ll probably still watch it on catch up even after the brutal reviews on here. It’s been pish for ages, I don’t expect it to change any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Absolutely awful dross.

half the show spent talking about non-football stuff, the only time it got out of Glasgow was a 15 second paisley skit and a couple of rambling North Korea skits. Wtf were the Botox, dog whisperer, 2021 city of culture, etc, sections all about?

they couldn’t find any way of poking fun at hearts new stand? Neil Lennon’s ear cupping incident? Derek McInnes knocking back rangers? Cathro? Boyd and commons working together on tv? Anne budges jacket? No, because that would be acknowledging a world beyond Strathclyde.

Pathetic
    Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Paloschi View Post
    I usually find one or two sketches mildly amusing but this year I never raised a smile. It needs to go or be completely revamped

It's genuinely embarrassing. They should've just put on a rerun of still game on

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    I stopped watching it, dinae miss it. It’s gash.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    Weggie dross.

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    Me too. Haven’t seen it for years. Always love this annual thread though.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar

Is this part of your act?

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post

😂😂

I wonder what its 'remit' from the Beeb is. It was better when it could focus more on football but I think they're being asked/trying to fill the gap of Scotch and Wry and Still Game. Tough acts to follow, especially for a football show, and I think they've tried to be too many things to too many people. It aint worked.
    The Rangers £1 coin was funny though...

I’ve often thought that the Hogmany tv line up is a ploy by the councils to force people to spend money on taxis, pubs and clubs by making sure they’d rather be anywhere else than at home watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Absolutely awful dross.

Pathetic
    Totally spot on.

Watching this has ruined 2018. I have put my foot through my tv and i'm sending BBC Scotland the bill.

It has been really bad since 2002. Tony Roper and Greg Hemphill left but they got Alistair McGowan and he was great but became popular and mainstream and left after 1998, it stumbled on because Scottish football had characters and plenty was happening. After 2002, it has been getting worse by the year.

I only watched it so that I could share my opinion on this yearly thread.

Yes it was again total mince. Maybe the only part I found funnyish was the three Huns vaping then discovering that they doubled as flutes.

The Kenny Dalglish sketch and all the others were guff. Obviously now aimed at the over 40's as I'm sure that anybody under that age wouldn't know who most of the characters were. The North Korea sketch. What the hell was that about?

Yes rubbish once again but already looking forward to the next one which will once again be mince.

Maybe it’s supposed to be mince. 🤔

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Embarrassingly bad. Just not funny, aside from about two impressions none of them you even know who it's supposed to be. Same old crap every year. Needs to be put down.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    You know it’s bad when the impressionist has to tell you who they are at the start of the sketch. The material was simply garbage and was poorly written and certainly not funny. I will exclude the Rangers pound sketch from that as it was mildly amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by DavieRoy View Post
    It has been really bad since 2002. Tony Roper and Greg Hemphill left but they got Alistair McGowan and he was great but became popular and mainstream and left after 1998, it stumbled on because Scottish football had characters and plenty was happening. After 2002, it has been getting worse by the year.
    Scottish football still has plenty characters and stories, it's just a lazy show that panders to the religious and pseudo fitba 'banter' that passes as humour amongst some in Glasgow and surrounding areas.

Take someone like Romanov. He was made for a show allegedly about a light hearted look at Scottish football and he barely featured. Hibs winning the Scottish Cup was about the biggest football story in the country last year and it got one entirely predictable Trainspotting type sketch, Hamilton seem to be involved in a punch up every week yet no sketch about it, Hearts stand was an open goal yet nothing, the Aberdeen director and his gambling and plenty more besides.

If the writers and Scottish sports broadcasting as a whole relaised there was a world outwith the Glasgow city boundaries they could make a really good show that showed Scottish football at it's best and worst. As long as they keep aiming it at 50 somethings who still find bigotry the pinnacle of wit it will keep going downhill.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough
    Im raging at the sketch about the dog. As usual they have staffie portrayed as dog that can turn ferocious. I know it was supposed to be funny but come on. My 13 year old staffie would lick you to death!