hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm dead against the imperial elite crony forelocktugging honours system however, I would accept an honour if offered so I could put on my best suit and go to London to fart right in the queens coupon.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by -Jonesy- View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm dead against the imperial elite crony forelocktugging honours system however, I would accept an honour if offered so I could put on my best suit and go to London to fart right in the queens coupon.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    IMHO, the who thing is an anachronistic embarrassment. We don't even have an empire; drop the pretence. It's a leftover of the British class system: the MBE bows to the OBE who bows to the CBE etc etc; and accepting an 'honour' from an unelected head of state who sits at the pinnacle of said class system, is annoying. I always lose a bit of respect for those who accept these 'honours', as they are complicit in the continuation of this farce. It's great to recognise good work, but this method isn't for me. If we could scrap the monarchy, they could take their medals with them.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    IMHO, the who thing is an anachronistic embarrassment. We don't even have an empire; drop the pretence. It's a leftover of the British class system: the MBE bows to the OBE who bows to the CBE etc etc; and accepting an 'honour' from an unelected head of state who sits at the pinnacle of said class system, is annoying. I always lose a bit of respect for those who accept these 'honours', as they are complicit in the continuation of this farce. It's great to recognise good work, but this method isn't for me. If we could scrap the monarchy, they could take their medals with them.
    Aye, could get rid of the lot of just by axing it at the very top. Monarchy, house of lords, sir this, sir that, the whole ****in' lot. An archaic system designed to keep the plebs in their place and it's high time it was binned.

Quote Originally Posted by John_R_Corbett View Post
    Aye, could get rid of the lot of just by axing it at the very top. Monarchy, house of lords, sir this, sir that, the whole ****in' lot. An archaic system designed to keep the plebs in their place and it's high time it was binned.
    Independence first then a referendum to create a republic. Job done 👍

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Yes, get to the root of the problem rather than tinkering about with the symptoms. A fully democratic and meritocratic system.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    sounds like a plan

sounds like a plan
    I'm in!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    My mum refused an honour which was proposed in recognition of community and charity work. She felt that she was no more worthy than others in her entourage and also wasn't that fussed for being rewarded by the very system whose failings necessitated the work in the first place.
    Spot on. It's just the establishment self-abusing itself and tossing out a few crumbs to their subservients so it appears we're 'all in this together'.

Sorry, Santa brought me yet another stockingful of cynicism.

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar

SCOTLAND CAN.

This axing idea appeals!

The House of Lords should become a UK parliament with the House of Commons for English matters. A truly federal system.

Coaching Staff stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    ...a much under-rated drummer was the good Captain.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

He wasn't even the best drummer on the Black Pig.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    He wasn't even the best drummer on the Black Pig.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    It's a bit odd that Ringo Starr, whose life has, up to now, been most notable for taking copious amounts of drugs and repeated infidelity, gets a gong now since becoming a prominent Brexit campaigner I get he was a beatle, but why now?
    He was absolutely brilliant in Thomas the tank engine though.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

I wouldn't have a problem with a system which recognises people for outstanding charity work or for true achievement in their field .... should that include failed politicians or civil servants, no I don't think so.

The whole system is especially open to abuse when you have meaningful awards like peerages and knighthoods in the gift of politicians. I was in the civil service long enough, even at the lowly grade I was, to be absolutely positive that the people at the top who should have seen it as their business to curb the worst excesses of politicians by telling them some of their ideas were unworkable or just plain fantasy stood aside and did nothing to stop them, and I'm convinced that was because they didn't want to jeopardise their chance of a peerage or knighthood by rocking the boat.

The open secret that peerages and knighthoods are handed out like confetti in exchange for donations to political parties brings the whole rotten system into disrepute as well.

Whatever the case Lord this, sir that ............. GTF that'll be the day I call somebody sir just because they are good at running or tennis or they have spent their life kissing the right *****.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    The whole system is designed to uphold the status quo of our constitutional monarchy in that it rewards people of influence and binds them to support the system. It needs to change if we want to change.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Sounds good to me