hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Hibs at end of 2017 - where are we going?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continuing the upward trajectory

139 87.97%
  • Plateaued

17 10.76%
  • Starting to go backwards

2 1.27%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    We are on the up for sure, but we have to be careful not to get bogged down. There is still plenty of room for improvement, we have had some disappointing home results compensated for by an impressive away record, that's definitely an area where we can improve.

If we can finish in the top 4 it will definitely have been a decent season for us, but the question which is still going to be hard to answer at this stage is 'will we be able to sustain our current level of crowds next season'? ....... The novelty of being back in the top league and the continuing feelgood factor from the 2016 cup final all counted in our favour this season.

I'm not so sure that next season will see us maintain the crowds we have been getting, but if we can keep our ST numbers at 12,000 that will still be pretty good going .... what would help of course would be getting to the Scottish cup final and maybe a couple of exciting signings in the summer window, if that were to happen then perhaps my caution would be misplaced.

As things stand though we are in a far far better place than we were 3 years ago that's for sure

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Just seen the poll options... jeez.

In what possible sense have we 'plateaued' or gone backwards this year? We began 2017 in a scrap with Dundee Utd at the top of the Championship FFS.

We all had our say at the start of this season.
    To my eyes we had the 4th best squad in the league and that's how I called it.
    We are there and I don't see it changing.
    There have been strange unpredictable results this season. We are dominating most games but as per the last few seasons unable to turn it into goals.

We have a great squad and support.
    Great chief exec and manager.
    Great ground and training facility.

Only icebergs I can see are the usual star player and staff retention issues:

Certain we all accept that McGinn will be going in the next 6 months. We need to get good money and a sell on clause.
    Very concerned that McGeogh will choose to leave at the end of his contract. This would be a big blow.
    Efe might also be away at the end of the season. Love the guy and hope he stays. Has another 18 months on his contract but suspect there is an agreement in place for him to leave if a good opportunity arises for him.

Next biggest risk is losing the Chief Executive who has done great work. A very politically astute lady whose stock is high.

Outside risk would be losing the manager. Hopefully his prickly exterior will cause possible suitors to give him a miss.

Success on the park in the future is down to making good recruitment choices. Fortunately we can concentrate on this given most things are in place off the pitch.

The future continues to be bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the 14th January we played away at Dumbarton in front of 1500 people.

We have ended the year consolidating 4th place in the Premiership, one defeat away from home in nine months and going 9 unbeaten against our biggest rivals.

I would say we have had a pretty good 2017.
    I would agree, and I also think we shall be at Hampden, possibly twice in the Scottish cup in 2018. we may also get lady luck on our side.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    We all had our say at the start of this season.
    To my eyes we had the 4th best squad in the league and that's how I called it.
    We are there and I don't see it changing.
    There have been strange unpredictable results this season. We are dominating most games but as per the last few seasons unable to turn it into goals.

We have a great squad and support.
    Great chief exec and manager.
    Great ground and training facility.

Only icebergs I can see are the usual star player and staff retention issues:

Certain we all accept that McGinn will be going in the next 6 months. We need to get good money and a sell on clause.
    Very concerned that McGeogh will choose to leave at the end of his contract. This would be a big blow.
    Efe might also be away at the end of the season. Love the guy and hope he stays. Has another 18 months on his contract but suspect there is an agreement in place for him to leave if a good opportunity arises for him.

Next biggest risk is losing the Chief Executive who has done great work. A very politically astute lady whose stock is high.

Outside risk would be losing the manager. Hopefully his prickly exterior will cause possible suitors to give him a miss.

Success on the park in the future is down to making good recruitment choices. Fortunately we can concentrate on this given most things are in place off the pitch.

The future continues to be bright.
    Great post.

The main issues are as you rightly highlight retention of key players and staff while ensuring we identify worthwhile transfer targets.

Everything else is on the up with attendances a huge plus.

We're in a good place and hopefully Squirrel is just the first to sign additional contracts.

Glory Glory

We'll have a job replacing McGinn, if he goes.

McGeoch is no substitute and Slivka is untested. We need a Kris Commons type in the midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Just seen the poll options... jeez.

In what possible sense have we 'plateaued' or gone backwards this year? We began 2017 in a scrap with Dundee Utd at the top of the Championship FFS.
    Chill - some people may think we've not improved

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Chill - some people may think we've not improved

Sure... presumably based on some criteria other than results?

Quote Originally Posted by HiBremian View Post
    You could do a job as an SPFL linesman, Keeks

Application now in the post.

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    I think the key thing is that we now seem to have the right structure in place at the club which will allow a continued improvement. Statisticians will say that trends are important rather than individual statistics and I am sure there will be the odd stagger and faulter over the next few years but in general I think we will continue to strengthen and the trend will continue to be positive - but some of that improvement will not always be visible, for example it will include consolidation of structures, perhaps expanding the community element etc all of which will contribute to the overall security of the club.

So yes we will continue onwards and upwards!

I feel all areas have improved apart from our attacking formations. And given Neil's previous involvement with Celtic that is my one disappointment.

We have the personnel to attack the penalty box but persist with aimless wing and full back crosses to nobody. If we do win a free kick or corner we may as well hand it straight to their goalie.

How hard can it be to demonstrate improvement in these areas? Yet every game is like groundhog day.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Application now in the post.

If your eyesight is anything like Wednesdays linesman youve probably sent your application to the PFLP and not the SPFL!

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    So, lets be honest - today was a bit disappointing, we would have loved 3 points, and on balance of play probably deserved it.

However, at Killie, they ouplayed us and we came away with a 3-0 victory - also, we had a tough midweek match on a tattie field.

As to the season so far?

I thought it worth comparing us with comparable point in last years Premiership.

2016/2017 after 22 matches -

Hearts were in 4th spot, had 31 points and a GD of +8

They also had St Johnstone breathing down their collar on same points, but with a slightly poorer GD.

Jambos lost Neilson and ultimately ended up 5th.

2017/2018 after 22 matches -

We are in 4th spot, have 35 points, and a GD of +4 and a 5 point cushion on the Gorgie Galacticos.

Without playing the happy clapper card (our home form is crap) we are actually doing not too bad in what is clearly a better league than where we were last season.

No question we need to improve, but as I was feeling a bit pissed off, I think this puts things in perspective.

Testimonial Due
    We are on the up, yesterday was a small blip in losing 2 home points, but Killies form has been on the up also, so not a bad result in my book!

Our crowds have been amazing all season long, so there must be money in the transfer coffers?

Sitting in 4th place at the break, we are in my book ahead of schedule and with a good transfer window, we could go higher!

Back to Tynie 1st game after the shut-down is not ideal, as you never know how sharp everyone is going to be?

Get through that and we could be in for yet another good Cup run!!!!!!

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I put plateaued. Our signings largely haven't improved the team, we still struggle to convert chances and still concede sloppy goals. 4th is still good but I fear we've benefited in St Johnstone's loss of form this season.

No better or no worse than last season in other words.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I think we are shy of a few points our performances merited but have to be pleased with fourth place. Teams are aware how strong we are and see a point as a bonus against us. Confident that with the team rested and hopefully a couple of new players in we will kick on.